Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Western/Foreign are too far apart, same with Sci-Fi/Animated, in my opinion.

If we are going to combine a genre, I think it should be some combination of Drama/Horror/Action/Crime. Those are the genres that were highly debated this draft.

so...High Drama?
How about:

Sports

Comedy

Sci-Fi

Animated

Action

Western

Foreign

Utility

Utility

Utility

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Western/Foreign are too far apart, same with Sci-Fi/Animated, in my opinion.

If we are going to combine a genre, I think it should be some combination of Drama/Horror/Action/Crime. Those are the genres that were highly debated this draft.

so...High Drama?
How about:

Sports

Comedy

Sci-Fi

Animated

Action

Western

Foreign

Utility

Utility

Utility

I don't really think we should change anything.

The draft was started with the idea to go across decades. If there is no continuity with the genres, then that changes the whole concept of the draft.

You can't add animation and contract Western just because the 90s had a lot of animation. Then the 70s draft would be messed up since Westerns were so prevalent then and animation was limited to a few studios.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

IMO, there should be no foreign category because technically it isn't a genre. 
The ten categories should be:

Crime/Action

Drama

Thriller/Horror

Western

Animated

Comedy

Documentary/Foreign

Sci-Fi

Utility

Utility
I'd like to include Sports, though, since there are some really good ones this millennium, but I guess there hasn't been enough good ones for it to warrant its own category.

I don't really think we should change anything.

The draft was started with the idea to go across decades. If there is no continuity with the genres, then that changes the whole concept of the draft.

You can't add animation and contract Western just because the 90s had a lot of animation. Then the 70s draft would be messed up since Westerns were so prevalent then and animation was limited to a few studios.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

IMO, there should be no foreign category because technically it isn't a genre. 
The ten categories should be:

Crime/Action

Drama

Thriller/Horror

Western

Animated

Comedy

Documentary/Foreign

Sci-Fi

Utility

Utility
I'd like to include Sports, though, since there are some really good ones this millennium, but I guess there hasn't been enough good ones for it to warrant its own category.

JPZx wrote:
I take Goldeneye as my final pick, an action.
Excellent pick. 
pimp.gif

Prime selects as he puts it, the worst date movie of all time, KIDS.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 And he's right.    It will go under utility.  

Action/Adventure

Drama/Crime

Thriller/Horror

Western

Animated

Comedy

Documentary/Foreign
Sci-Fi
Utility

Utility

Ok, I can live with this, this seem fair to everyone then?  Docs and Foreign together, and the rest as Ill listed. 

(we're also removing the sports genre btw
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

You guys are gonna keep pushing until the utilities are gone, aren't ya? 
laugh.gif

JPZx wrote:
I take Goldeneye as my final pick, an action.
Excellent pick. 
pimp.gif

Prime selects as he puts it, the worst date movie of all time, KIDS.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 And he's right.    It will go under utility.  

Action/Adventure

Drama/Crime

Thriller/Horror

Western

Animated

Comedy

Documentary/Foreign
Sci-Fi
Utility

Utility

Ok, I can live with this, this seem fair to everyone then?  Docs and Foreign together, and the rest as Ill listed. 

(we're also removing the sports genre btw
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

You guys are gonna keep pushing until the utilities are gone, aren't ya? 
laugh.gif

I like combining crime/action, but I say we replace wither the missing slot with foreign, or replace a utility slot with foreign. The Academy Awards has a 'foreign' category, why cant we? 
ohwell.gif
Plus it might get some people to watch movies they may never have heard of.

edit: I see the doc/foreign category Illmatic listed. That's cool, I'm cool with that. But damn if I dont feel like we need separate slots for both categories now with how many movies are flashing through my mind
laugh.gif

I like combining crime/action, but I say we replace wither the missing slot with foreign, or replace a utility slot with foreign. The Academy Awards has a 'foreign' category, why cant we? 
ohwell.gif
Plus it might get some people to watch movies they may never have heard of.

edit: I see the doc/foreign category Illmatic listed. That's cool, I'm cool with that. But damn if I dont feel like we need separate slots for both categories now with how many movies are flashing through my mind
laugh.gif

Sports would sort of help out as well ya know........
laugh.gif
  Obviously we have been given a lot of leeway and thankfully so, we should at least pretend to do right by that leeway, ya know? 
ohwell.gif

Kool has a good point about the whole cross decade thing.  Why switch it all up based on the decades?  Use the same exact genres across the boards, if you have a foreign movie you want, why not use it as a utility?  That's what it's for.  Want an animated film in your 10, use it as utility? 

Like I said before, I'm flexible if it's a must that we move things around by the majority, so be it, but let's make sure we're doing it for the right reasons, and including the right stuff, ya know? 

laugh.gif
  Obviously we have been given a lot of leeway and thankfully so, we should at least pretend to do right by that leeway, ya know? 
ohwell.gif

Kool has a good point about the whole cross decade thing.  Why switch it all up based on the decades?  Use the same exact genres across the boards, if you have a foreign movie you want, why not use it as a utility?  That's what it's for.  Want an animated film in your 10, use it as utility? 

Like I said before, I'm flexible if it's a must that we move things around by the majority, so be it, but let's make sure we're doing it for the right reasons, and including the right stuff, ya know? 

It's just that Foreign and Animation films have really reached their zenith both production and distribution wise over the past decade that an adjustment could be warranted. If enough people wanna keep things the way they are, though, I'm fine with that too.

It's just that Foreign and Animation films have really reached their zenith both production and distribution wise over the past decade that an adjustment could be warranted. If enough people wanna keep things the way they are, though, I'm fine with that too.

Stick with the categories, don't change it.

If you want a foreign film, use it as a utility or pick it as something else, I have Life is Beautiful as my drama... same with animation, if you feel strong enough about it, pick it in your major categories.

I don't think we should pick and choose categories based on decade, stick to the format now, we've been pretty liberal about some genre definitions so I don't anticipate a lot of problems.

For my final choice, I select the only remaining Best Picture winner, Shakespeare in Love.

While it was an outrage it beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture in 98, that doesn't change the fact that it's a very good movie, Oscar winning performances by Paltrow and Dame Judi Dench, and won best original screenplay.

Stick with the categories, don't change it.

If you want a foreign film, use it as a utility or pick it as something else, I have Life is Beautiful as my drama... same with animation, if you feel strong enough about it, pick it in your major categories.

I don't think we should pick and choose categories based on decade, stick to the format now, we've been pretty liberal about some genre definitions so I don't anticipate a lot of problems.

For my final choice, I select the only remaining Best Picture winner, Shakespeare in Love.

While it was an outrage it beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture in 98, that doesn't change the fact that it's a very good movie, Oscar winning performances by Paltrow and Dame Judi Dench, and won best original screenplay.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

agreed ^

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

agreed ^

With my last pick (i think this is the last pick)

my horror film, arguably the best one of the 90's...

CANDYMAN

With my last pick (i think this is the last pick)

my horror film, arguably the best one of the 90's...

CANDYMAN

Back
Top Bottom