Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

2. Moonlight  (Barry Jenkins; Oct. 21)

Moonlight-1-e1472007515301-620x350.jpg

Synopsis: Chronicles the life of a young black man from childhood to adulthood as he struggles to find his place in the world while growing up in a rough neighborhood of Miami.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The rare film in which a glance says more than the entire script of most other movies, Moonlight  is textured, intimate, and powerful. One of our favorites of TIFF, we said inour review, “Each actor brilliantly highlights his/her moment of recognition, each left defenseless to refute his/her truth. Hypocrisy ultimately grounds us because without it we’d prove as vile as our mistakes.”
been hearing a lot of buzz about Moonlight, can't wait to check it out.  Cottonmouth from Luke Cage is in it too i believe 

Might go tonthe movies today...debating on Magnificent Seven or Deep water Horizon

Interesting fact, Leonardo DiCaprio was initially tapped to star in what is now Affleck's Live By Night. This is back when WB got the rights of the novel and there was an early script.

Things change and Affleck writes a script and ends up directing and starring in it with Leo being a producer on the movie.

Last edited:
Well, damn. Was just on Twitter and "#PitchPlease" was a trending topic. Referred to the show Pitch, which people are apparently digging. Called that one completely wrong. Thought it would be a total failure. Doesn't seem that's the case.

What I'm caught off guard a bit by is how quick it was. When I saw promo for it I felt it wasn't coming out until next year for some reason.

Came out in a few weeks and is doing good.

I ain't really watching any of the new Fox shows though.

Seeing The Girl on the Train tonight. Honestly thought it was a female targeted print-to-screen movie, but the trailer had me sold.

Last edited:
With regards to Nate Parker's Birth Of A Nation -

As a student of African-American studies, I have waited for years to see a cinematic depiction of Nat Turner, which is no easy feat. His story is complex, nuanced and iconic. Therefore, I admit my opinion about "The Birth of a Nation," the highly anticipated film by Nate Parker, might be biased. Nonetheless, Turner's story deserved better, and first-time writer and director Nate Parker failed to deliver. With unforgivable inaccuracies, a complete reinvention of Turner's identity and failure to appropriately highlight the slave rebellion -- the most important part of Turner's story -- "Birth of a Nation" is a historical injustice

You can read the rest here if you want. One thing I can't forgive in a historical movie is inaccuracies unless you do a pure fantasy film like Inglorious Basterds...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/07/opinions/birth-of-nation-review-cane/index.html

With regards to Nate Parker's Birth Of A Nation -

As a student of African-American studies, I have waited for years to see a cinematic depiction of Nat Turner, which is no easy feat. His story is complex, nuanced and iconic. Therefore, I admit my opinion about "The Birth of a Nation," the highly anticipated film by Nate Parker, might be biased. Nonetheless, Turner's story deserved better, and first-time writer and director Nate Parker failed to deliver. With unforgivable inaccuracies, a complete reinvention of Turner's identity and failure to appropriately highlight the slave rebellion -- the most important part of Turner's story -- "Birth of a Nation" is a historical injustice

You can read the rest here if you want. One thing I can't forgive in a historical movie is inaccuracies unless you do a pure fantasy film like Inglorious Basterds...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/07/opinions/birth-of-nation-review-cane/index.html

Damn, after such hype too. Well I should say, that hype was from over a year ago.

Sleepless looks :smokin

Jamie Foxx is always appreciated.

I've said this before, Jamie might be the most talented man in Hollywood.

I really don't understand why he doesn't get better roles.

His range :wow:

still hope that tyson movie gets made and he is cast. dude puts on some weight and bulks up, he can legit win another oscar. his impersonation of tyson is spot on.

Last edited:
still hope that tyson movie gets made and he is cast. dude puts on some weight and bulks up, he can legit win another oscar. his impersonation of tyson is spot on.
You and me both, fam. I remember he was talking about it on Hot 97 and I was hyped! I remember word was Scorsese was going to direct, so maybe it's in a long development process since it'd have to be pretty solid for him to do another boxing flick ala Raging Bull.

You and me both, fam. I remember he was talking about it on Hot 97 and I was hyped! I remember word was Scorsese was going to direct, so maybe it's in a long development process since it'd have to be pretty solid for him to do another boxing flick ala Raging Bull.

scorsese :wow: did not know his name was floating around for this movie.

What I'm caught off guard a bit by is how quick it was. When I saw promo for it I felt it wasn't coming out until next year for some reason.

Came out in a few weeks and is doing good.

I ain't really watching any of the new Fox shows though.

I dont really mess with Fox shows. I mean i watch empire for lulz.

But so far, 3 episodes in, i personally love Pitch.
Maybe its because of Zach Morris but the show just has a lot of heart so far. Im digging it, entertaining 45 minutes a week IMO. :smokin

Also, i dig the new Lethal Weapon. Obviously nothing award winning or anything but its entertaining as well.

Last edited:
It seems like the reviews for Birth of a Nation are far more mixed than the 77% RT rating suggests.

Yeah I saw it last night and the move is good, not great.

I left the theater feeling disappointed.

Nate being a first time director shows on screen but I still recommend everyone to see this film for themselves.

Was X-Men Apocalypse any good? Don't remember any reviews of it in there when it came out. But its on DirecTV PPV now and I'm thinking about watching it this weekend. So, if any of you saw it and have an opinion, feel free to share. Thanks.

ghostbusters wasn't THAT bad up until the last 20 mins or so, then it reminded me of pixels.

suicide squad was pretty junk. enchantress at the end sounded like he/she needed to get back on his/her hormone therapy. some of the other performances were ok though.

train to busan has too much k-drama for my taste. same could be said for the host but that movie was better imo.

watched first ep of westworld. not bad at all so far.

Was X-Men Apocalypse any good? Don't remember any reviews of it in there when it came out. But its on DirecTV PPV now and I'm thinking about watching it this weekend. So, if any of you saw it and have an opinion, feel free to share. Thanks.

I thought DoFP and FC class were better. It's not bad though

Trash. Don't waste your time.

Back
Top Bottom