Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

let me clarify, those are the types of "black" movies that tend to get large scale attention in terms of critical acclaim
I don't see many black gangster movies made year after year like ones in the categories I listed. What was the last one? American Gangster? I'm really trying to remember because I can't think of one after that.
Well I did say this is a period where Hollywood was particularly enamored with that type of movie.

Its completely fell out of favor since the mid 2000s.

But thats no different a situation than you bringing up the magical Negro. I can't recall a movie strictly revolving around that since the Legend of Bagger Vance. The archetype is still being used but nobody os making movies solely around that.

Tyler Perry owns his own studio so he can make what he wants he doesn't need the green light from a major studio to get his movies made.
Tyler Perry is one guy who makes movoes of a certain quality and he only makes 2 or 3 kinds of movies; Madea comedies, black movie about family/black drama mostly about relationships.

I'm talking about a self sustaining film company that doesn't need to do deals to partner with bigger studios cuz its already big itself. A studio that has several departments under it making various movies of all genres.

That's the only way you're gonna see some variety in movies with mostly black casts that are of high quality. That are also constantly released so they aren't seen as exceptions when they become hits. If that gets done you'll also to start to see way more talented actors get a shot in that white dominated field.

Last edited:
most recent i can think of
images

p180516_p_v8_af.jpg

images

images

images
Ok so Mr. Church totally seems like a magical Negro movie :lol: First time hearing of it but I read the plot.

Didn't see 3 Billboards yet.

The Mountain Between Us is not a magical negro movie. That's 2 human ppl that end up in a plane crash. If Idris character happened to be the lone black guy that happened to be around when it crashed and then saved ol girl then it'd qualify.

That Secret Life of Bees poster reminds me of The Help. Didn't see it but I highly doubt that little white girl had 4 magical negros. That's egregious.

I saw Passengers. That's an example of a movie with a magical Negro in it and its more of a savior Negro anyway since he ends up dying. Pure plot device. The movie itself doesn't revolve around him helping the white ppl.

What I was saying earlier is there's a difference between a magical Negro movie and a movie with a magical Negro in it.

Mr. Church seems exactly like the former.

i wasnt putting that list up as definitive MN movies

just that they MN or savior N or helpful N to white people

and i dont know if it makes it any less egregious but the white girl has 3 in the movie

And TMBU he may not have been magical but he was damn near super human lol
Survived the crash unhurt
Gave her a lot of his food
Carried her for a portion
And still had to save her from her boring engagement

Last edited:
yo what is this thread about
i always open the last page of this thread
read 2 posts then dip
matter of fact this my first post in here
is this basically another tan???? :nerd:

Another type of movie I think that runs adjacent to civil rights movie is the semi autobiographical flick.

While it may be about the individual stuff like Marshall, the Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Jesse Owen's movies all got a scene or theme of racism being prevalent. Chadwick Bozeman been caking off that type of movie for a min.

i wasnt putting that list up as definitive MN movies

just that they MN or savior N or helpful N to white people
Well yeah I'm not at all saying the trope or archetype has died out and not being used anymore just stating the differences.

I mean he'll they Morgan Freeman the ultimate magical Negro when he was cast as God to give life lessons to white guys.

and i dont know if it makes it any less egregious but the white girl has 3 in the movie
That's egregious :lol:

But honestly just from reading the plot and watching the trailer that has a whole offensiveness to it given it mirrors the culture of how so many rich ppl hire black mothers to raise their white kids.
And TMBU he may not have been magical but he was damn near super human lol
Survived the crash unhurt
Gave her a lot of his food
Carried her for a portion
And still had to save her from her boring engagement
:lol: Also dude isn't an expert in anything thst would lead ppl to believe he'd survive that.

I think part of that is playing off Idris' reputation or how women wamt to view him. Some of his movies and roles have him fulfilling that ultimate male fantasy.
but........
so this is the tv show and movie tan then???
Given its about tv shows and movies specifically no its not tan.

Plus this thread predates tan by a few years.

No it's a movie and TV show thread
You read books so you may be familiar and not even know.

It started off as a literary archetype. As prevalent as the white savior, wise fool, and noble savage.

It them translated to cinema since that became the dominate form if storytelling.

I'd imagine this is still being taught in literary courses. I know it is for African American literature.

This isn't like the clearly and intended offensive stuff like a sambo. Authors thought they were giving value to a race by using the magical Negro, mammy, and noble savage archetypes.

Good Lord the Whitewalkers attack scene when Snow tries to convince the Wildings for peace. :wow:

That is the ep I watched years ago because the Net was on fire that night. I watched it blind to any stories or characters, had no idea what was going on, til that scene. Now I watch it with understanding, God damn.....all along I thought it was a season finale or something. :lol:

Another thing about the type of movies Hollywood typically makes is that its extended far past the movies they think can only be successful with black casts.

Right now the industry is creatively bankrupt. There's maybe 10 types of movies they keep making. Then the remakes and 20-30 year later sequels.

So this would really be the best time to trying to spearhead something new.

i didn’t realize that happy gilmore came before bagger vance. i guess that falls under zik’s magical category :lol:

i didn’t realize that happy gilmore came before bagger vance. i guess that falls under zik’s magical category :lol:
Its not my category.

And Happy Gilmore is a comedy. Those usually don't count cuz they're usually making light of the stereotypical archetype.

The legend of Bagger Vance is based on a book.

Plus the whole black caddy for white golfers has been a thing.

In the legend of Bagger Vance, Will Smithcs character is a literal magical negro more so than dude in the Green Mile.

Last edited:
Seen shape of water last night. Too good.
Man shannon makes a dope villain anytime :lol: from boardwalk empire to supes to this :lol:

Anyone hype for the FX miniseries on the assassination of Versace?

Same crew that did the OJ one, right? Looks really really good, and I go in blind with this story, don't know anything about it unlike the OJ story.

Pretty much :lol:

Also has an element of white savior if those white girls end up winning the competition against all those black groups.

The Thin Red Line :pimp:

So I finally got around to watching Wonder Woman the other day.

Am I the only one that thought it was just ... ok?

the florida project was good 8/10

it shoulda been called suspense tho i was waiting for the shoe to drop the whole movie

i dont even think the little kids were acting half the movie they just set up cameras and told them go play

that *** whooping she gave her friend :wow:

trollin her at the restaurant :smh:

the ending kinda had me like how they just run up in disney tho? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom