Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Right!? That **** was over they top.:lol: You know how excited I get when I randomly find a 5 or a 10 in my pockets?
Barry Seal could step out of his front door and trip over more money than I've ever earned in my life....

The interesting thing I kept thinking about with American Made is being a true story, and involving Pablo Escobar, the movie Blow, with George Jung also involved Escobar, and was also a true story.

Did they intersect? Both were flying product in and out of the US in that era.

Maybe Jung was earlier, and when he went down, Seal came later in life? I think Jung was late 70's, early 80's.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Don't let the reviews trick you. This movie sucked. Can't take Vince Vaughn seriously. Made it 30 minutes in before turning it off. 0.2/8
Bruh, I have been complaining about all this highly reviewed flicks sucking and I thought it was me.

Glad to see someone agree with me with this one ....

I don't go as far as saying it sucked but it wasn't good.

Bruh, I have been complaining about all this highly reviewed flicks sucking and I thought it was me.

Glad to see someone agree with me with this one ....

I don't go as far as saying it sucked but it wasn't good.

Man...it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a minute. I couldn't get past the acting. Not to mention, during the dock scene, I forgot who was "shooting" the gun, but there was no light/smoke coming from the prop as it was being "shot." I couldn't take it anymore after that...

*This was an interesting read:

The True Story Behind the Movie American Made

The movie hardly purports to be a documentary — director Doug Liman, who reteams with Cruise after Edge of Tomorrow, has referred to it as “a fun lie based on a true story.”

just got back from Last Jedi.

6.9/8

I thought the movie was very dope. I was smiling like a little kid in parts, I was super nervous in parts. I liked it more than Force Awakens.

Effects team nailed it outta the park. Story was pretty solid. What I did NOT like was the acting. It was sub-par. Rey has one facial expression the whole movie, add a tear or take away a tear, it's still the same expression. Boyega got one facial expression.

The acting doesn't have to be great to enjoy this film though. Just like with all the rest, the magic is in the story and the effects. The monsters, the force, the oddball characters.

Two other small gripes:

1: No epic light saber action in this flick. There was one battle and it was pretty weak. You can do better Star Wars stunt team. It's arguably the most iconic weapon in movie history. Put it to better use my dudes!

2: the leiah freeze death come back to life thing. Don't really know where they're going with that but I'm sure it'll be explained later I guess

There were a few parts where I could tell people were gonna get on the internet and rage type about how stupid they were, but that's not me. Liked the movie. Worth the theater viewing for sure.

Just watched American Made earlier today, agree with most. All around entertaining and wild story to think back to those times. It's been awhile since I watched Cocaine Cowboys but didn't Seal get a bit of time in that as well? I love getting into anything related to the whole Iran-Contra affair

Side note - funny to see the kid who played his brother-in law. I think that's the kid from X-Men 1st class ya? a couple years back was hammered drunk at a pool hall in New Mexico and that kid was passed out on the side of the building at the end of the night :lol:

The killing of a sacred deer was decent but I was confused by the choice at the end
I either not focus or my taste in movies have gone way down.

This **** was no bueno man ...

From random jerk off, to everyone monotone, to he actually randomly killing someone, to visiting the dinner at the end.

No thrill no suspense no drama .. just a monotone movie with mysterious curse. Only part they got right was when he was searching for random items to cure it.

Smh

I either not focus or my taste in movies have gone way down.

This **** was no bueno man ...

From random jerk off, to everyone monotone, to he actually randomly killing someone, to visiting the dinner at the end.

No thrill no suspense no drama .. just a monotone movie with mysterious curse. Only part they got right was when he was searching for random items to cure it.

Smh
You should watch Lobster to get what the director was going for.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

He tried to take that same style and apply a different genre to it and it simply was not as good.

ok

what can we do to change it?

How to Fix Hollywood's Race Problem

The film industry’s failure to represent people of colour runs far deeper than #OscarsSoWhite. Can a Bechdel test for race help persuade Hollywood to rethink? Plus: from ‘the magical negro’ to ‘the sassy confidante’ – the complete guide to tired racial stereotypes

5333.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/18/hollywoods-race-problem-film-industry-actors-of-colour

As Viola Davis said, the only thing that separates actors of colour from everyone else is opportunity. So casting directors need to diversify their thinking. Directors need to demand to see different types of actors. Writers should be making more of an effort to write interesting parts for actors of colour that defy stereotypes, or implementing a Geena Davis type solution (simply change any character in a script into a woman) for race.

the white savior movies make me so damn angry. especially when people at work eat that crap up and don’t see how demeaning that **** is.

please no more last jedi talk. my blood boils just thinking about that movie and my high blood pressure medication not strong enough

there are five types of "black" movies that get made, though things are slowly changing
slavery movies
magical negro
sports/music biopic
white savior movie
civil rights movie
i'm over it, for the most part i just refuse to watch any of those types of movies anymore
That's probably why I like insecure ...

I don't be watching sitcoms like that so not sure if it had been made before .. but like you said. The black drug lord ******** is wack .. I mean. I do like power but insecure is basically a good black sitcom ....imho

there are five types of "black" movies that get made, though things are slowly changing
slavery movies
magical negro
sports/music biopic
white savior movie
civil rights movie
i'm over it, for the most part i just refuse9 to watch any of those types of movies anymore
You missed a lot :lol:

There's the gangsta movie which was part of a huge wave of Hollywood and white ppl actually acknowledging some of the plight a black American experiences in the 80s and 90s which got made in excess. So it went from acknowledgment to cashing in on it.

Then there's black comedies. This goes from Chris Rock getting to do his thing to Madea.

Also I'd say magical Negro movies don't get made as much as they use to. The magical Negro archtype still shows up in certain kinds of movies but rarely are their movies dedicated to it.

Hollywood is not in the practice of helping or giving hand outs. Black celebs and black millionaires would be better off trying to do it together than asking for opportunities from a group that has continued to this day to demean and disrespect or outright dismiss black ppl.

Last edited:
let me clarify, those are the types of "black" movies that tend to get large scale attention in terms of critical acclaim
I don't see many black gangster movies made year after year like ones in the categories I listed. What was the last one? American Gangster? I'm really trying to remember because I can't think of one after that.

There was a wave in the 80's-90's because the growing popularity of the still young genre of hip hop provided opportunity to capitalize on the inner city stories
as for the comedies, I don't think these are as abundant either.
How many movies like that are still being made at the rate of those in the categories I listed?

Tyler Perry owns his own studio so he can make what he wants he doesn't need the green light from a major studio to get his movies made.

the movie I can think of from last years that breaks that mold is Girls Trip and Moonlight

Last edited:
Chuck 5.5/8

Lieve did his thing but the story albeit a true one wasn't all that interesting.

Light Between Oceans 5.7/8

What a ****** up story. This ***** crazy evil. I don't care how distraught she was that she couldnt have a baby. Then dude decides to take the fall for her cuz of love. ***** ruined 3 lives.

Back
Top Bottom