Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Yeah after reading that I'm leaning towards Spielberg view on this.

If Netflix want their movies to be considered by the Oscars they should operate and have official theatrical releases. The movies should be made to be seen that way on the initial run.
I actually agree.

They have a streaming service, it is easy for them to advertise their movies and put them in the homescreen and suggest it. Is rather an unfair advantage.

bs just another case of old folks intimidated by something new. not one legit argument was made in that article. make the best movie period.

I definitely am a believer that the Oscar nominations should reflect what's actually happening out there and what/how movies are being watched, rather than banning something because it's an advantage for one over the other.

If A Star Is Born was a stream-only movie and everyone loved it, we're nominating it for being one of the best movies of the year not nominating it for any reason that has to do with how one can watch it.

Roma did go to theaters around Oscars time anyway even though it didn't have the traditional theatrical release, which is all that Netflix movies should need to do to qualify. The year's best and highest quality films regardless of medium should be at the forefront, and if that's movies on streaming services then that's completely okay.

Knock Knock is on.
:lol:
The first time I saw this it was so bad is it was really goood.
This time I’m going to enjoy this montrosity for it’s inevitable greatness.

I definitely am a believer that the Oscar nominations should reflect what's actually happening out there and what/how movies are being watched, rather than banning something because it's an advantage for one over the other
I had to stop reading right here and respond.
This seems so hip.
Suggesting That you change reasoning for or observe best in Film the same way you add a hard part in a hair cut or go from decent looking sneakers to dad shoes. It shouldn’t have to be pop to be included. Things do change overtime but as much as things change it’s all okay for things to also stay the same and vice-versa.

At the End of the day, noms and winners should be based on what’s the best.
If it happens to be a Film about Wakanda cool.
If it happens to be a Film about something relative to today’s society, cool.
Content of the film and how the Film is accessed shouldn’t really be a qualifier should it?
Shouldn’t it Simply be, what was best?

I didn’t even read that article but as soon as I read the rest of your post I will.
I mean no disrespect either, I like you as a poster this post just seemed so unfair.

Man, I think we might be saying the same thing after I read your post all the way through and for a second time.
Let me get some coffee and wake up man, I slept too long I tihnk..........I will be back later to read again:rofl:

bs just another case of old folks intimidated by something new. not one legit argument was made in that article. make the best movie period.

That’s the issue. Make the best movie. The worry is that Netflix could pull the amazon/Walmart business thing. Over spend and Dilute the market with trash, regardless of profit margin, then all you have is lesser quality product and the higher quality more expensive “Mom and pop” businesses can’t afford to compete. If Spielberg doesn’t consider films made to be watched on your home tv and laptop the highest quality films, then I tend to agree with him. He seems to be an expert in that area. But then of course if he’s just trying to be a rich market share hoarding mogul, then that would be pretty messed up. I just don’t see that from him.

Yes it’s a lot of cry me a river, vinyl vs CD type old man talk. But there are legitimate worries that the film industry should be thinking about. I agree, make the best movies, however that may come about. But for the most part, I think Netflix movies belong in the Made for tv category.

nah u wouldn't know the difference if they were released in theaters instead of Netflix. a film is a film. just cause we know we're watching something via Netflix doesn't mean we can automatically categorize it as made for TV. these old hollyweird people are on there high horse cause they feel threatened and society is seeing through their bs more and more.

can't let how you obtain a form of art alter your opinion of the art itself.

The documentary "Free solo" is on nat geo tonight at 9 commercial free

It's about rock climbing.
Real good.

Just won an Oscar for best documentary

^ No, Boyz N The Hood was the right choice.

I've always felt that South Central was superior to both Boyz and Menace, though.
Just ReWatched South Central for the first time since being an adult, man, why did Deuce leave the gun on the crime scene. And the got damn potato? :lol:

The documentary "Free solo" is on nat geo tonight at 9 commercial free

It's about rock climbing.
Real good.

Just won an Oscar for best documentary
Funny, I went Rock Climbing (indoors) yesterday and one of the "coaches" was telling me to watch it.

Will do so

I just watched The Interview on Comedy Central and I learned nothing, that's the only political viewing I'll do in 2019

found out day after the oscars that a former classmate whom of which we both still follow each other on social media still worked on it. I always knew in school he wanted to film doc and that he was super into rock climbing and well what do you know:wow:. worked with Jimmy chin himself and held the oscar. Helps that we both came outta SFSU and the subject is from Sac. classmate is under the Camera and Electrical Department section of the work credits on IMDB

Back
Top Bottom