Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

That makes ZERO sense
I make a thing. I call it Thing. You love it but you can see some improvements, so you make Thing 2. You didn't come up with your own original idea; you took Thing and made some improvements and now the whole world has Thing 2. And Thing 2 is great, phenomenal even... but one aspect that Thing 2 can literally never have over Thing is originality. Thing will always be the original, and Thing 2 can be nothing better than 'Thing with improvements'.

If originality means nothing to you, that's where our disagreement is.

-foe

Have we ever discussed in here which one everyone likes more?

The Godfather or The Godfather Part 2
Godfather 2 by a good deal imo
BTTF is my favorite trilogy of all time. It simply cannot be better than the original...

... because it would not EXIST without the original. All second movies are ADDITIONS to the first movie. They CAN'T be better than the entire reason they exist.

-foe
You're reasoning is not reasonable.

This is like saying apple pie cant be better than apples cuz one wouldn't exist without the other :lol:

Keep applying that logic and it'll be in nonsensical territory in no time.

There is no principle.

Thor Ragnarok is better than Thor.

Mission Impossible 3 is better than the first MI. Its also better than the TV series. So is every Mission Impossible movie after MI3.

Lethal Weapon 4 is the best Lethal Weapon.

The Dark Knight is better than Begins

The Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum are better than Identity.

Who seriously thinks A New Hope is better than the Empire Strikes Back? :nerd:

I dare someone to tell me Avengers is better than Infinity War :lol:
I make a thing. I call it Thing. You love it but you can see some improvements, so you make Thing 2. You didn't come up with your own original idea; you took Thing and made some improvements and now the whole world has Thing 2. And Thing 2 is great, phenomenal even... but one aspect that Thing 2 can literally never have over Thing is originality. Thing will always be the original, and Thing 2 can be nothing better than 'Thing with improvements'.

If originality means nothing to you, that's where our disagreement is.

-foe
Since when does originality mean a sequel cant be better than the first movie?

That's not how movies work. That's not how storytelling works.

Originality is not the sole basis when it comes to value.

Saw the first couple episodes of The Old Man. Pretty good. I'm intrigued.

Also saw this Chuck Norris film solely on the strength that someone told me it's a great 80's Chicago watch where almost the entire movie was filmed on location. The differences between the city then & now are wild.
712obUetN3L._SL1151_.jpg

Saw the first couple episodes of The Old Man. Pretty good. I'm intrigued.

Also saw this Chuck Norris film solely on the strength that someone told me it's a great 80's Chicago watch where almost the entire movie was filmed on location. The differences between the city then & now are wild.
712obUetN3L._SL1151_.jpg
speaking of the great Chuck Norris, one of my favorites growing up.....

Attachments

• Delta_force_poster.jpg
    Delta_force_poster.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
Both Godfather 1 & 2 and Terminator 1 & 2 are too tough for me to judge. There are things I like about both sequels that make them equal to the original. But I guess if I could only watch 1 of each it'd be T2 & Godfather 2. I'm a sucker for a good prequel/origin story.

Thoughts on Alien vs Aliens?
81lrPEEJ2WL._AC_SY741_.jpg

91kkGWtyqTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Both Godfather 1 & 2 and Terminator 1 & 2 are too tough for me to judge. There are things I like about both sequels that make them equal to the original. But I guess if I could only watch 1 of each it'd be T2 & Godfather 2. I'm a sucker for a good prequel/origin story.

This is really a genre preference question. Alien is a suspense/horror film. Aliens is a full blown action flick. I prefer Aliens - it’s one of my Top 5 ATFs period - but I have no issue with people who prefer Alien.

no comparison. I feel both films are stand-alone and different. Alien 3 felt more like a sequel.

Me and my girl have been watching “classic”/older movies for the past couple weeks

The Talented Mr Ripley was a really good watch.
LOL. My age showing itself.

I see “classic”/older film and I’m thinking “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”, “Some Like it Hot” or a Hitchcock movie or something. Not a 1999 movie. :lol:

But yes, Ripley is a very good film with an awesome cast.

It’s sweet how the exteriors of Scranton, PA of The Office looks in no way like Southern California.

The Empire Strikes Back
Godfather 2
Terminator 2
Aliens 2
Cap 2 Winter Soldier
Superman II
Top Gun 2 :nerd:

I get what Ska's intent is, but it's not reality. T1 is nowhere close to T2. Cap 1, c'mon.
Yes the OG's are OG's but that doesn't mean better.

I have never seen a Chuck Norris movie. Or Clint Eastwood, except for Gran Torino and The Mule.

Does this make me a bad person?

-foe

The Empire Strikes Back
Godfather 2
Terminator 2
Aliens 2
Cap 2 Winter Soldier
Superman II
Top Gun 2 :nerd:

I get what Ska's intent is, but it's not reality. T1 is nowhere close to T2. Cap 1, c'mon.
Yes the OG's are OG's but that doesn't mean better.
Refs are still reviewing the call on the field. 👀😬 You know how it is, man: usually when they take this long, it's overturned.

-foe

LOL. My age showing itself.

I see “classic”/older film and I’m thinking “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”, “Some Like it Hot” or a Hitchcock movie or something. Not a 1999 movie. :lol:

But yes, Ripley is a very good film with an awesome cast.
I didn’t mean classic with age attached it. Should’ve said like well received or we’ll known “older” movies or something

Back
Top Bottom