Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

-foe
1254FAD1-45BD-4396-96A2-F55E77A671EE.gif

Its legacy is entirely baked into it being the first 3D movie done right, at the height of everyone thinking 3D was going to be a thing.

That was 13 years ago, and since 3D didn't last, Avatar's legacy is tied to that. They both almost seem like relics of the past.

Like 3D, Sam Worthington never grew into a bankable actor. It was over around the time Man On A Ledge came out three years after Avatar.

I think the story isn't original. Foreign entity comes to a different foreign land and threatens it and its people.

I don't know if the second Avatar is going to be a disaster at the box office because they'll be so much propped up around it (there already is), but it coming out this long after is another indictment of the first movie.

It's simple.

Avatar = Dances with Wolves with a green screen.
Nobody going hard for Dances with Wolves.

Its legacy is entirely baked into it being the first 3D movie done right, at the height of everyone thinking 3D was going to be a thing.

That was 13 years ago, and since 3D didn't last, Avatar's legacy is tied to that. They both almost seem like relics of the past.

Like 3D, Sam Worthington never grew into a bankable actor. It was over around the time Man On A Ledge came out three years after Avatar.

I think the story isn't original. Foreign entity comes to a different foreign land and threatens it and its people.

I don't know if the second Avatar is going to be a disaster at the box office because they'll be so much propped up around it (there already is), but it coming out this long after is another indictment of the first movie.
Thank you.

If most of the vitriol is hinged on what you just said, here's my issue: Only one of the things you said actually have to do with the movie Avatar.
"3-D never panned out."
That's not an indictment on the actual movie, though.

"Sam Worthington never panned out."
Same rebuttal.

"Unoriginal story of colonization."
That's why I love it! The natives won! With how much we [justifiably] trash European colonizers for weaking havoc damn near the globe over and definitely here in the States, why aren't more people celebrating a movie where the natives fought back and won?

-foe

Fair, and it would also be fair if I gave the movie another chance since I haven't seen it since I was 16, and I consider myself a fair person just ask me, but I might be unfair here because I don't know a situation where I would fire it up again. :lol:

Honestly I couldn't remember which side won now that you have clarified that, as in there could've been some sort of "everyone won" thing because colonizers rarely lose. But I see your reasoning.

It's simple.

Avatar = Dances with Wolves with a green screen.
Nobody going hard for Dances with Wolves.
But in the overall story of Dances with Wolves, even though it's fictional, we know that the colonizers won. We know that because... *looks around*... yeah. 😕😬

-foe

Look, what's you all's beef w/ Avatar? Let's have a discussion. 🤣😤
lawdog1 lawdog1 , 6 Rings G.O.A.T. 6 Rings G.O.A.T. , Master Zik Master Zik , whoever else wanna jump in but I can't remember. B Bronson , aren't you one?

-foe
Its not a good movie. Average at best.

Its sole purpose was all style and no substance. Not to mention the cgi and 3D wasn't even that good when it came out.

It literally just jacks the plot of Pocahontas and slaps a coat of blue paint on it *cue meme*

original.jpg

Also I don't want to get in to how offensive it is.

Acting is pretty basic.

Sam Worthington is not a leading man. His career after that movie proves it despite Hollywood trying to make him a thing with several failures.

The movie isn't good enough to be talked about as much as it does or anticipated after decades nor is it bad enough to be brought up as a joke as much as it does.

That's just me though. I acknowledge that there are just some movies no matter how bad I think they are that captivate the masses and become really popular (FF comes to mind).

Last edited:
"Unoriginal story of colonization."
That's why I love it! The natives won! With how much we [justifiably] trash European colonizers for weaking havoc damn near the globe over and definitely here in the States, why aren't more people celebrating a movie where the natives fought back and won?

-foe
Cuz its not real nor is it important, culturally or as it pertains to film.

If you want a movie where the natives win don't make it with aliens. Make an alt history movie where the colonization of the new world fails or where the colonization of India fails or where the creation of the transatlantic slave trade fails.

The movie isn't good enough to be talked about it as much as it does or anticipated after decades nor is it bad enough to be brought up as a joke as much as it does.

That's just me though.
Not just you. That’s exactly where I’m at with Avatar as well.

film criticism is in a dark place.

What a trash review

Basically saying don’t make a movie about this person cuz of some of the ugly things humans do.

It’s ridiculous to me how now when a character is doing a bad thing or morally questionable thing somebody is dumb enough to think it’s being promoted. Check your politics and hang ups at the door.

Worst of all it stops being about the movie itself :smh:

What a trash review

Basically saying don’t make a movie about this person cuz of some of the ugly things humans do.

It’s ridiculous to me how now when a character is doing a bad thing or morally questionable thing somebody is dumb enough to think it’s being promoted. Check your politics and hang ups at the door.

Worst of all it stops being about the movie itself :smh:
"why isn't the film a boring and uncomplicated recitation of my politics?"

like why even watch films?

Back
Top Bottom