Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

late night with the devil is on Hulu.. I’m like an hour in, really good so far

1729351365219.jpeg

Next up. 94% on RT, banned in the United States upon release

1729351742252.png

When I became aware of this film earlier in the year, I knew it belonged on my list. But I wondered, in 1982, why would a major production be banned? As a Black man familiar with the complicated history of attack/police dogs in the United States, I had an idea, but this film turned out to be much more.

Based on a 1970 novel by Romain Gary (which I promptly added to my reading list), much of the dialogue is clearly allegorical - pertaining to humans and not the "white dog" subject of the movie. Ironically, both Sam Fuller and Romain Gary are white men. Granted, Gary is French. Pair that with the time period, and you can see why he didn't feel the need to soften his stance for white American consumption. IMO, this is where the U.S. ban came in. As they say, a hit dog will holler (pun intended).

The pre-production of this movie was a story in itself. Unfortunately, Gary and his wife committed suicide only a year or two before release. Also, Roman Polanski was signed to direct this movie when he committed his crimes and fled. This is the movie thread, so I'll admit - after reading and watching Rosemary's Baby (🐐 movie don't @ me), I would've liked to see what he did with the material. But I do applaud Sam Fuller for staying true to the intent of the novel.

I'll lighten this last paragraph up with a fun trivia fact: Romain Gary once challenged Clint Eastwood to a (literal) duel when he discovered Clint slept with his wife :lol:

TL;DR : The $2.99 to rent this from a streaming platform is well worth it, and the Wiki is worth a read. Movies like these are why I watch 31 every October :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom