Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Finally saw Hesher. Man, I liked it a lot. Hilarious, while being real, believable, heartfelt and thought-provoking. A little quirky, but just how I like my movies. Great performances all around. I really like the Garden State version of Natalie Portman.

Also watched Bridesmaids for a second time. I still stand by my original notion - that is a top 3-5 comedy of the past decade.

American Horror Story... whatever.
Spoiler [+]
- I liked finally seeing the school shooting.
- The urban legend robbery homicide was really stupid.
- All of his "patients" have died (or were already dead), right? Tate, the girl who was only casing the house, the black woman that slit her wrists in front of him and now this guy. I'm sure that will come into play.
- Seriously, the parents are some of the worst characters on television. Violet is the only human with any sense, and she's a suicidal teenage girl who is in love with a ghost.
- Tami Taylor has the devil inside of her, which we more or less knew.
- I did like the religious implications throughout the episode, though. The story Violet's "friend" told clearly referred to Tami Taylor.
- The brain scene... I mean... no questions asked? This is absolutely best for the baby. I trust these women. Stop it.
- All in all, one of the worst episodes so far, I thought. Maybe the absolute worst.

Finally saw Hesher. Man, I liked it a lot. Hilarious, while being real, believable, heartfelt and thought-provoking. A little quirky, but just how I like my movies. Great performances all around. I really like the Garden State version of Natalie Portman.

Also watched Bridesmaids for a second time. I still stand by my original notion - that is a top 3-5 comedy of the past decade.

American Horror Story... whatever.
Spoiler [+]
- I liked finally seeing the school shooting.
- The urban legend robbery homicide was really stupid.
- All of his "patients" have died (or were already dead), right? Tate, the girl who was only casing the house, the black woman that slit her wrists in front of him and now this guy. I'm sure that will come into play.
- Seriously, the parents are some of the worst characters on television. Violet is the only human with any sense, and she's a suicidal teenage girl who is in love with a ghost.
- Tami Taylor has the devil inside of her, which we more or less knew.
- I did like the religious implications throughout the episode, though. The story Violet's "friend" told clearly referred to Tami Taylor.
- The brain scene... I mean... no questions asked? This is absolutely best for the baby. I trust these women. Stop it.
- All in all, one of the worst episodes so far, I thought. Maybe the absolute worst.

Melancholia is getting great reviews. Amazon has it as a theatrical rental for $6.99. Trying to decide if I want to do that, or go see J. Edgar.

Melancholia is getting great reviews. Amazon has it as a theatrical rental for $6.99. Trying to decide if I want to do that, or go see J. Edgar.

I still want to see J. Edgar, but I'm quite disappointed the reviews have been so poor.

In other news, I'm taking a break from Dexter... for awhile. Caught up today and I just was not interested whatsoever. I just can't look past major flaws in their storytelling and writing anymore, and while I'm interested in what they're doing on the surface, it's just not enough at this point. I'll re-watch the season when it ends and hopefully I can appreciate it in another light, but if I have to watch another second of Colin Hanks I might break my TV (among other annoyances of the show). I do, however, understand why others are excited about this season, but it's just not for me right now.

I still want to see J. Edgar, but I'm quite disappointed the reviews have been so poor.

In other news, I'm taking a break from Dexter... for awhile. Caught up today and I just was not interested whatsoever. I just can't look past major flaws in their storytelling and writing anymore, and while I'm interested in what they're doing on the surface, it's just not enough at this point. I'll re-watch the season when it ends and hopefully I can appreciate it in another light, but if I have to watch another second of Colin Hanks I might break my TV (among other annoyances of the show). I do, however, understand why others are excited about this season, but it's just not for me right now.

Kev, is that the Dunst one? Thought I had a copy but its messed up. If you see it let me know how it is. I watched Devil's Brother, LOVED it.........Also, AHS, the whole eat brain thing, Rosemary's Baby in play here, she's under a spell so to speak. That's why sue ate without question, she doesn't know she's not in control. Loved the school scene in library, powerful stuff........ BigJ, hope you come back at the end, surprised you aren't feelin where they're going.........I also kinda dig that Snow White look, but I'm a sucker for Charlize when she's dolled up........Jumpstreet isn't what I was expecting, but I'll check it out I'm sure.

Kev, is that the Dunst one? Thought I had a copy but its messed up. If you see it let me know how it is. I watched Devil's Brother, LOVED it.........Also, AHS, the whole eat brain thing, Rosemary's Baby in play here, she's under a spell so to speak. That's why sue ate without question, she doesn't know she's not in control. Loved the school scene in library, powerful stuff........ BigJ, hope you come back at the end, surprised you aren't feelin where they're going.........I also kinda dig that Snow White look, but I'm a sucker for Charlize when she's dolled up........Jumpstreet isn't what I was expecting, but I'll check it out I'm sure.

I know exactly what you mean Big J, Dex had some nice momentum going, and then this last episode...nothing. I get what they're doing, but I just see these shades of other shows messing with their sure thing plot device. Namely Battlestar Galactica. Iono. The seeds of a truly ******ed finale are all there...and Adama gets to watch it go by again.
nerd.gif

At least Homeland is still stepping it up. Great show. I got small fears that it'll turn into unrated methodical, well acted and directed 24 by season 2, but is that even a bad thing?

Andt um...Quentin Tarantino recruits better than SMU.

And after finally seeing Six Degrees of Separation, I grew this real hate for Will Smith's career.
30t6p3b.gif
Hearing Django news just keeps nailing the coffin shut. At least he's loaded.
eyes.gif

I know exactly what you mean Big J, Dex had some nice momentum going, and then this last episode...nothing. I get what they're doing, but I just see these shades of other shows messing with their sure thing plot device. Namely Battlestar Galactica. Iono. The seeds of a truly ******ed finale are all there...and Adama gets to watch it go by again.
nerd.gif

At least Homeland is still stepping it up. Great show. I got small fears that it'll turn into unrated methodical, well acted and directed 24 by season 2, but is that even a bad thing?

Andt um...Quentin Tarantino recruits better than SMU.

And after finally seeing Six Degrees of Separation, I grew this real hate for Will Smith's career.
30t6p3b.gif
Hearing Django news just keeps nailing the coffin shut. At least he's loaded.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Anyone seen Paranormal Activity 3? And for that matter 2 as well? Curious as to how those match up with the original.
As a fan of horror in general, I thought it was a blast. There's typical jump scares, but there are also moments of pretty genuine fright. It's much better than the second, and far scarier than any of the others. It sets up for a storyline/explanation you'll either love or hate. The effects on the film are absolute fun, and the backstory of it all is just creepy. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw the first at home by myself, I saw the last two in theaters. As long as these keep coming out, I'll go. The second wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped, but the third renewed my faith. And it made a load at the box office. There will be a fourth.

I am also saddened by the reviews of J. Edgar; was going to have a date night with the girlfriend to go see this next week, but I guess not anymore.
tired.gif

I'm surprised you don't like the direction of Dexter..
frown.gif
Spoilers.

Spoiler [+]
I loved that they brought in Mos Def, had him play a character that truly questions Dexter's morality/motives, and lets him go before he's too stale. And now, Dexter is not stale at all. He's embracing what he is, with his old buddy, the Ice Truck Killer.
pimp.gif
. And now bringing back the Trinity Killers son, it's awesome. I also love the relationship between Quinn/Deb, I feel like they're doing a good job with it. It's shaping up to be one of the best seasons thus far. And to be fair, Dexter has ALWAYS had a hard time ending it's seasons. Almost every season of Dexter ends poorly.

And, I'm sure some of you guys watch The Walking Dead, spoilers if you aren't caught up.

Spoiler [+]
Man, this season has been really weak, but I am SO stoked to have Merle back. He needs to spice things up, and a great actor like Michael Rooker will hopefully do that. Nothing has made sense this season, really. First Carl wants to get his bestiality on, and gets shot in the process, okay whatever. Then they send a fat man to go hunt for some medical supplies with Shane. Uhh okay, sure. Then Shane goes ahead and kills fat-man. Revenge? Twisted? Or just stupid? And then you need to get some water, but there's a walker in there. So what do you do? You send the asian kid down the well to tie a rope around his waist? As if he hadn't already contaminated the water? Along with the poor acting from pretty much every single person on the show (except Daryl at times, and Rick at times), it's becoming quite stale. I find it hard to believe that this place they're at can't have at least a FEW stray zombies coming around, I mean Jesus Christ. Plus that little girl that's been missing... That should have been resolved about two weeks ago. The audience doesn't care. I don't care, no one cares. Find her? Cool, I don't care. Find her dead? Cool, I don't care. They need to reunite with the black family from the first episode, that was the best part about this show thus far. The first two-three episodes for me were superb, and I really want to like this show, but it's becoming more of a burden to watch now than a joy.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Anyone seen Paranormal Activity 3? And for that matter 2 as well? Curious as to how those match up with the original.
As a fan of horror in general, I thought it was a blast. There's typical jump scares, but there are also moments of pretty genuine fright. It's much better than the second, and far scarier than any of the others. It sets up for a storyline/explanation you'll either love or hate. The effects on the film are absolute fun, and the backstory of it all is just creepy. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw the first at home by myself, I saw the last two in theaters. As long as these keep coming out, I'll go. The second wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped, but the third renewed my faith. And it made a load at the box office. There will be a fourth.

I am also saddened by the reviews of J. Edgar; was going to have a date night with the girlfriend to go see this next week, but I guess not anymore.
tired.gif

I'm surprised you don't like the direction of Dexter..
frown.gif
Spoilers.

Spoiler [+]
I loved that they brought in Mos Def, had him play a character that truly questions Dexter's morality/motives, and lets him go before he's too stale. And now, Dexter is not stale at all. He's embracing what he is, with his old buddy, the Ice Truck Killer.
pimp.gif
. And now bringing back the Trinity Killers son, it's awesome. I also love the relationship between Quinn/Deb, I feel like they're doing a good job with it. It's shaping up to be one of the best seasons thus far. And to be fair, Dexter has ALWAYS had a hard time ending it's seasons. Almost every season of Dexter ends poorly.

And, I'm sure some of you guys watch The Walking Dead, spoilers if you aren't caught up.

Spoiler [+]
Man, this season has been really weak, but I am SO stoked to have Merle back. He needs to spice things up, and a great actor like Michael Rooker will hopefully do that. Nothing has made sense this season, really. First Carl wants to get his bestiality on, and gets shot in the process, okay whatever. Then they send a fat man to go hunt for some medical supplies with Shane. Uhh okay, sure. Then Shane goes ahead and kills fat-man. Revenge? Twisted? Or just stupid? And then you need to get some water, but there's a walker in there. So what do you do? You send the asian kid down the well to tie a rope around his waist? As if he hadn't already contaminated the water? Along with the poor acting from pretty much every single person on the show (except Daryl at times, and Rick at times), it's becoming quite stale. I find it hard to believe that this place they're at can't have at least a FEW stray zombies coming around, I mean Jesus Christ. Plus that little girl that's been missing... That should have been resolved about two weeks ago. The audience doesn't care. I don't care, no one cares. Find her? Cool, I don't care. Find her dead? Cool, I don't care. They need to reunite with the black family from the first episode, that was the best part about this show thus far. The first two-three episodes for me were superb, and I really want to like this show, but it's becoming more of a burden to watch now than a joy.

melencholia has depressed me for the next few days

very sad movie. slow as molasses until the second part. hard to recommend unless i personally know you.

pro-

acting was incredible
some cool shots
good dialogue here and there
ending was done well
kirsten dunst ++#%

con-

first half was almost completely unnecessary
incredibly slow
a number of times way to pretentious
depressing without much substance (st least on my first viewing)

melencholia has depressed me for the next few days

very sad movie. slow as molasses until the second part. hard to recommend unless i personally know you.

pro-

acting was incredible
some cool shots
good dialogue here and there
ending was done well
kirsten dunst ++#%

con-

first half was almost completely unnecessary
incredibly slow
a number of times way to pretentious
depressing without much substance (st least on my first viewing)

Lars von Trier is known for that!
laugh.gif

Anti-Christ brought up some of the same kinds of pros and cons; personally I absolutely loved Anti-Christ.

Will maybe check it out next weekend.

Lars von Trier is known for that!
laugh.gif

Anti-Christ brought up some of the same kinds of pros and cons; personally I absolutely loved Anti-Christ.

Will maybe check it out next weekend.

Sounds right up my alley. Might get it right now.

Watched Attack the Block last night and Battle: Los Angeles today. One was fantastic and the other couldn't end soon enough. I'm sure you guys can sort that out.

Back
Top Bottom