Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Ill, that vid is
eek.gif
  I'm sold no doubt. 
pimp.gif

Ska, when you get down to it, Pulp was about nothing, Dogs is about nothing, they all are.  But the FILM is about something.  I don't know if that makes sense, but you resisted Pulp Fiction too, think about how that turned out for you.  This isn't Pulp, but it's just as impressive, if not more in some ways.  Again, hard to explain without flat out telling you the story.  I promise you, you will enjoy it.  I swear. 

Ill, that vid is
eek.gif
  I'm sold no doubt. 
pimp.gif

Ska, when you get down to it, Pulp was about nothing, Dogs is about nothing, they all are.  But the FILM is about something.  I don't know if that makes sense, but you resisted Pulp Fiction too, think about how that turned out for you.  This isn't Pulp, but it's just as impressive, if not more in some ways.  Again, hard to explain without flat out telling you the story.  I promise you, you will enjoy it.  I swear. 

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

A movie about nothing? Have you not paid attention to any of my posts on my movie criterion/preferences?
laugh.gif

One of my qualms w/ Hollywood is that there is so little substance in movies. My favorite movies challenge the viewer, forcing him to take on a particular viewpoint. Movies I watch just for entertainment are movies that have an interesting storyline, just nothing like a major character struggle (these are my superhero movies, alien movies, time travel joints, & movies like Reservoir Dogs

But a movie I'm being told is about… nothing? Movies about nothing are the bane of my media experience.
laugh.gif
You couldn't have turned me off to the movie more if you had told me it had a fleet of gay centaurs prancing around in every scene (word to 300, another popular movie I have no interest in seeing).
laugh.gif

Nah, there's substance behind Death Proof. Trust me, you'll feel something by the halfway point. If not by then, go ahead and consider yourself dead to us
tongue.gif
And it's not about nothing exactly, it's just a plot made for QT and Robert Rodriguez's 'Grindhouse,' their take on the 70's grindhouse movies that were all gore and sex and cheap horror thrills. It's worth the watch. edit: But it is NOT as good or impressive as Pulp Fiction, sorry CP
laugh.gif

And please watch Kill Bill. The action is over-the-top. but it's done so well and stylistic that you'll forgive QT for being so wild with that movie. The music is perfect. The acting is top notch. The story is great. It's my 3rd favorite of QT behind Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

A movie about nothing? Have you not paid attention to any of my posts on my movie criterion/preferences?
laugh.gif

One of my qualms w/ Hollywood is that there is so little substance in movies. My favorite movies challenge the viewer, forcing him to take on a particular viewpoint. Movies I watch just for entertainment are movies that have an interesting storyline, just nothing like a major character struggle (these are my superhero movies, alien movies, time travel joints, & movies like Reservoir Dogs

But a movie I'm being told is about… nothing? Movies about nothing are the bane of my media experience.
laugh.gif
You couldn't have turned me off to the movie more if you had told me it had a fleet of gay centaurs prancing around in every scene (word to 300, another popular movie I have no interest in seeing).
laugh.gif

Nah, there's substance behind Death Proof. Trust me, you'll feel something by the halfway point. If not by then, go ahead and consider yourself dead to us
tongue.gif
And it's not about nothing exactly, it's just a plot made for QT and Robert Rodriguez's 'Grindhouse,' their take on the 70's grindhouse movies that were all gore and sex and cheap horror thrills. It's worth the watch. edit: But it is NOT as good or impressive as Pulp Fiction, sorry CP
laugh.gif

And please watch Kill Bill. The action is over-the-top. but it's done so well and stylistic that you'll forgive QT for being so wild with that movie. The music is perfect. The acting is top notch. The story is great. It's my 3rd favorite of QT behind Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

I didn't say AS good as Pulp, I said as impressive.  What he did in that movie, main 4, clean slate, main 4 again and the movie moves SEAMLESS, name me another movie that has done that.  I'm being vague in the interest of spoils, but you get my drift yes?  THAT is beyond impressive to me. 

And the diner scene with the circling camera, and Kurt in the background the whole time was pure awesomeness. 
pimp.gif

I didn't say AS good as Pulp, I said as impressive.  What he did in that movie, main 4, clean slate, main 4 again and the movie moves SEAMLESS, name me another movie that has done that.  I'm being vague in the interest of spoils, but you get my drift yes?  THAT is beyond impressive to me. 

And the diner scene with the circling camera, and Kurt in the background the whole time was pure awesomeness. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

pimp.gif

I see what you mean now. It surely could have been a disaster, so yeah, that was impressive how he pulled it off.
But QT always has some sort of extended tracking shot, so I wasnt overly impressed with that scene. Regardless, SKA needs to watch it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

pimp.gif

I see what you mean now. It surely could have been a disaster, so yeah, that was impressive how he pulled it off.
But QT always has some sort of extended tracking shot, so I wasnt overly impressed with that scene. Regardless, SKA needs to watch it
laugh.gif

I need to watch Death Proof still.

You should check out True Romance, Ska. Written by Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott, simply put, it's an awesome story with a great cast.

You should check out True Romance, Ska. Written by Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott, simply put, it's an awesome story with a great cast.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If anything, watch True Romance, just for Oldman's performance as Drexl Spivey.
On a somewhat related note, I love QT's writing, but even for something like Inglorious Basterds, he left a lot out of the film. It really doesn't affect the film as a whole, but knowing that the characters had more development, and not seeing on screen was disappointing.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If anything, watch True Romance, just for Oldman's performance as Drexl Spivey.
On a somewhat related note, I love QT's writing, but even for something like Inglorious Basterds, he left a lot out of the film. It really doesn't affect the film as a whole, but knowing that the characters had more development, and not seeing on screen was disappointing.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Curious, but what are some of your favorite films ska?
Right off the top, no thinking about it:
Antwone Fisher
Good Will Hunting
The Green Mile
The Game
John Q
Blow
Crash
Higher Learning
A Beautiful Mind
Precious
As Good As It Gets
Girl, Interrupted
Coach Carter
Glory
Boys Don't Cry
3:10 to Yuma
Fight Club
Radio

Actually, that might be an exhaustive list.
laugh.gif
But yeah, movies like that will top my list and roll off my tongue (or fingertips
laugh.gif
) every time I'm asked.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Curious, but what are some of your favorite films ska?
Right off the top, no thinking about it:
Antwone Fisher
Good Will Hunting
The Green Mile
The Game
John Q
Blow
Crash
Higher Learning
A Beautiful Mind
Precious
As Good As It Gets
Girl, Interrupted
Coach Carter
Glory
Boys Don't Cry
3:10 to Yuma
Fight Club
Radio

Actually, that might be an exhaustive list.
laugh.gif
But yeah, movies like that will top my list and roll off my tongue (or fingertips
laugh.gif
) every time I'm asked.

As if today wasn't bad enough with the lockout officially going nuclear... NBC has pulled Community from it's mid-season schedule. Not a cancellation, but unsure of when it will be put back on the air right now.

As if today wasn't bad enough with the lockout officially going nuclear... NBC has pulled Community from it's mid-season schedule. Not a cancellation, but unsure of when it will be put back on the air right now.

Man, True Romance was so underrated it's not even funny.  The scene with Walken and Hopper was so incredible.  The Gandolfini/Alabama scene, the absolute amazing job that Oldman did.  The final scene, the sheer amount of casting in that movie, it was nothing short of brilliant. 

I made a thread about this movie in general years ago, it got ONE reply.  It's like nobody even knows about this movie. 
30t6p3b.gif

Look at this ridiculousness
Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Hopper, Walken, Oldman, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Samuel L, Rappaport, Gandolfini, Sizemore, Balky, Chris Penn, Michael Beach.  Simply
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Only cast that is going to match that is next Christmas. 
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Man, True Romance was so underrated it's not even funny.  The scene with Walken and Hopper was so incredible.  The Gandolfini/Alabama scene, the absolute amazing job that Oldman did.  The final scene, the sheer amount of casting in that movie, it was nothing short of brilliant. 

I made a thread about this movie in general years ago, it got ONE reply.  It's like nobody even knows about this movie. 
30t6p3b.gif

Look at this ridiculousness
Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Hopper, Walken, Oldman, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Samuel L, Rappaport, Gandolfini, Sizemore, Balky, Chris Penn, Michael Beach.  Simply
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Only cast that is going to match that is next Christmas. 
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Death Proof I don't know is one you can recommend to people. Grindhouse is a very niche film for niche genre fans. Though it has one of the best car-chases ever in film-history, most people see it as too chalked-full of unnecessary dialogue.

I love it personally, as I love Kurt Russell, but I know it's definitely not for everyone. And if he catches Grindhouse, and Kill Bill is too much for him, Planet Terror definitely will be too though.
laugh.gif

Unless he liked Machete.

Death Proof I don't know is one you can recommend to people. Grindhouse is a very niche film for niche genre fans. Though it has one of the best car-chases ever in film-history, most people see it as too chalked-full of unnecessary dialogue.

I love it personally, as I love Kurt Russell, but I know it's definitely not for everyone. And if he catches Grindhouse, and Kill Bill is too much for him, Planet Terror definitely will be too though.
laugh.gif

Unless he liked Machete.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

I just wanted to let you guys know that this is my favorite thread in nearly nine years of being on this site.

pimp.gif

I've said it probably 15 times in here, I thank all the people that come thru here and chop it up.  Serious, I thank every one of you for this place. 

And while on that, where the hell has Dirk been?  Anyone heard or seen ol dude? 
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom