Olive 9s holiday 2024

Sure did feel that way. Charcoals never had any wear from MJ. The golf club pic was iconic to anyone who had the book. The IX never had much connection to MJ compared to any other 1-14 but the charcoals didn’t have the marketing piece the powders had and never seen on MJ’s feet.

Olives were also the first cw in the history of J’s to use earth tones. Charcoals are just another black/grey cw amongst many.

Being the first of its kind doesn’t make it good though lol. Black/red color based Jordans were a tried, tested and exceedingly successful formula, like it or not. There is a reason in 94’ you could go out into the wild and see the other 3 colors but never a pair of Olives. Olives look like someone barffed on them. Never did like the colorway never will, regardless of whether MJ rocked them or not.

Had MJ not retired, he would have worn the Charcoals in the 94’playoffs, not the Olives.

Being experimental isn’t necessarily bad, but just cause something is the first of its kind or different doesn’t automatically make it dope. It’s hit (Bordeaux 7’s, Aqua 8’s) or miss (Olive 9’s).

In fact, the Charcoals sold so much better than the Olives that they brought them back again for the 10’s, while discarding the Olive concept.

Last edited:
I love the Black/Whites and Powders too. Admittedly, I am usually partial to black/red based Jordans but the black/white, white/red, and unc colorways are also logical and make sense. I don’t want my shoes looking like I just jumped in a puddle of vomit lol.

Edit: lastly, while I’m generally not a fan of earth tone colorways, that isn’t to say they can’t work. Desert Elephant 3’s execute the earth tone concept well (even though it’s not an OG color, nor ever worn by MJ). Olive 9’s simply do not.

Last edited:
I love the Black/Whites and Powders too. Admittedly, I am usually partial to black/red based Jordans but the black/white, white/red, and unc colorways are also logical and make sense. I don’t want my shoes looking like I just jumped in a puddle of vomit lol.

Edit: lastly, while I’m generally not a fan of earth tone colorways, that isn’t to say they can’t work. Desert Elephant 3’s execute the earth tone concept well (even though it’s not an OG color, nor ever worn by MJ). Olive 9’s simply do not.

Why are you in this thread?

Some of you just argue about anything. Trying to convince others not to like a sneaker they like?

Why are you in this thread?

Some of you just argue about anything. Trying to convince others not to like a sneaker they like?
He called them an easy pass on the second page of this thread… IN 2023. Some dudes here think if they shove their awful opinions down our throats for a year we’ll change our mind or something. It’s a weird thing on the Internet these days, not just here. We heard you the first 15 times guy

Olive 9s are classics whether you like it or not
You sure about that? 🤣

Seems like revisionist bs to me. Nobody liked them in 94’, and when they got retrod the first time in 2002 cats were dying them black lol. It’s only recently that people started liking them for whatever odd reason.

He called them an easy pass on the second page of this thread… IN 2023. Some dudes here think if they shove their awful opinions down our throats for a year we’ll change our mind or something. It’s a weird thing on the Internet these days, not just here. We heard you the first 15 times guy
Yeah, man’s have absolutely no business being in here then.

Los Angeles. I don’t think I saw one pair in the wild in 1994, and certainly not at my school.

White/Blacks were the most popular here, followed by Charcoals and Powders in that order. That’s why when I see people actually like these, much less over Charcoals, I feel like I’ve walked into the twilight zone 😂

Last edited:
I wanted a pair of 9s so bad in 1994. Could never find any anywhere. Kid not driving at the time btw. If the Olive would have been in front of me, there would have been zero hesitation. Assuming I had the money of course. I never saw any 9s at the mall, ever. The 2002 pair released when I was broke, the 2012 pissed me off with the plastic leather and shiny midsole. Still wish I would have bought though. These are a must for me. But since the Rare Air book, I always liked these. I was in no condition to be picky when mom was buying. :lol:

I wanted a pair of 9s so bad in 1994. Could never find any anywhere. Kid not driving at the time btw. If the Olive would have been in front of me, there would have been zero hesitation. Assuming I had the money of course. I never saw any 9s at the mall, ever. The 2002 pair released when I was broke, the 2012 pissed me off with the plastic leather and shiny midsole. Still wish I would have bought though. These are a must for me. But since the Rare Air book, I always liked these. I was in no condition to be picky when mom was buying. :lol:
yeah charcoals and olives got no attention in 94. People forget the retros came out that year cause they were afraid of the 9’s doing so poorly. Only the first release (Chicagos) and the smartly marketed powders with the college team jersey introduction were plentiful in most markets and even then they cut back production on 9’s to make sure they didn’t get stuck with inventory.

Never saw many people wearing charcoals or olives for a reason. And certainly didn’t have to do with the olives being an “awful colorway”.

I had the olives my 9th grade year in high school (telling my age here lol) and NOBODY had that color in my school at the time. Nobody in my area were really wearing jordans then because he retired, but I still was a fan of the shoes. I like different stuff and these fit the bill perfectly with their unique color never seen on a jordan before. It was a no brainer for me even though people wasn't feeling the odd color at the time. I viewed these similar to the grape 5's, maroon 6's and aqua 8's. They weren't the traditional bull colorways, but they did something different and i like them.

Seems like it depended on where you were at. In LA, the Charcoals sold well, by 9 standards. Better than the Powders tbh, and MUCH better than the Olives.

I actually had the opportunity to get white/blacks for Christmas, but even though I love them now I wasn’t really feeling them like that. So I continued rocking my Playoff 8’s hoping the 9 would come out in a black/red colorway. The Olives came out next, and I was super disappointed. By this time, the white/blacks were gone in my size pretty much everywhere. Initially, I thought the 9 was going to be the first Jordan I would pass on cause I thought a TRUE black/red colorway wasnt going to drop.

Then one weekend, I was at the mall with some friends in April of 94’, and we went into Champs. I had no idea a new colorway of the 9 had just dropped but I saw the Charcoals on display and was absolutely ecstatic. My birthday was just like a week or so away so I ended getting them for that (thanks mom) and was the happiest high school sophomore alive. The color combo was perfect: that dark almost black greytone durabuck with the cracking print on it, a grey mudguard with red accents. It was like a dream come true.

Back
Top Bottom