open sketch thread

That's why sketching with markers is great, no erasing, You keep all your lines, and just keep throwing ideas on the sheet. 10% grey is barely noticeable, so you can also use 20 or 30 if you have a hard time seeing the ink. When you've determined the lines you like, go over with a pen, then shade with markers or pencils and the 10% won't even be visible, because of the contrast.

For an example, check out Doug Chiang's website, he has a step by step of how he sketches with markers

www.dchiang.com/robota/studiotips/index.html

-T

Wanted (10): The Kobe (playoffs), Nike Zoom 2k3 (any white based colorway)

Yo!
This is like my first actual sketch posted in a year or so. Just got around installing my scanner again and I officially hate it. Can't fit my drawings in there since I do most of them on 11X17 or A3. Have to scan twice and put it together in photoshop, so colors aren't always the same.

This is for a school assignment, to make 6 different variations of a product (can be a minor or major change as long as it's all the same product and keeps the same colors).
I jumped on this occasion to draw shoes (first time I was able to draw footwear for school)

We have to do a perspective view and an elevation of the product. Sketch had to be in color (1 dominant color, with a possibility to add little touches of a secondary color). Must color in markers, but we could also add pencils.

I only have one and a half done so far, and all 6 are due for wednesday, but I'll have to do the rest tuesday night, because of 3 other projects and an exam.

I'll post the 5 others next week.

Steps taken for that one : 2H Leadholder for rough outlining + Color blocking with Prismacolor markers + Shading with Prisma markers and Prismacolor pencils (I don,t use black prismacolor though, prefer black verithing since it's not as soft) + Outline with Black Verithin.

NOTE : There is a mistake in the coloring of the fore foot strap (perspective view). The brightest light strip should be on the closer side of the strap, will fix it for wednesday. I'll also try to make the upper a little more contrasted to show the shape better, but shading a big surface is a pain.

Comments and criticism are VERY appreciated !

If any one wants, I could take step by step pictures for one of the sketch next time like Doug Chiang did.
-T

man creativiT that is a great sketch i really like it...reminds me of something kobe would wear, probably because of the purple and the shape looks similar to the ZK1. cant wait to see the others, good luck with finishing all of them!

^ Thanks!, You're right, the shoe is greatly inspired by the white/purple ZK1 (Damn Nike for not releasing them!). That was the original product I wanted to make variations of. I think it still looks like something Kobe would wear without being a cheap knock off the zk1. However since there are no limits to the variations, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for the others. Stay with something Kobe would wear or just do different Nike Basketball shoes. My teacher told me I could do something as simple as changing the shape of the strap to making a complete redesign of the shoe. I guess it'll depend on how much time I have to do them!
-T

Nice job on those. Yeah this sketching with markers seems smart, Ima pic up a couple og grey markers tomorrow. Good luck on finishing them and on exams. Oh and I would appreciate a step by step. What's colour blocking? And whats black Verithin? Nice job on that 3/4 drawing. YOu in Industrial desgn university?
No bird soars to high as long as it soars with its own wings.

^ forgot to mention that if you sketch with markers, it's better if you do it on marker paper, otherwise the ink will bleed and even go through regular print paper. However since I'm not looking to draw crisp and clean lines in the rough outlining of the drawing, it doesn,t really matter if the ink bleeds a little. So if you don't plan on coloring with markers afterwards, then I guess using print paper would be fine. For marker paper, I use Letraset A3, but there are a bunch of them out there, I think mine was the cheapest at my school's store.

Color Blocking is mainly used in painting and in scrapbooking, when you fill rectangles with one solid colors and do about 3 different shades of one color for layouts and background. My teacher says colorblocking when you just fill an area with one equal layer of color, without worrying about shading, lights and all that. It's just to figure out where the colored elements will go on your object.The first layer is usually the lightest one. You can make it lighter afterwards too with prisma pencils, but it doesn't look as sharp.

Verithin is a harder lead Prismacolor pencil. It's easier to use than pen because it is somewhat eraseable. A couple cents at the art store. You can also sketch using verithin. I personally like the way indigo blue verithin makes your drawing look like a blueprint. Looks better than a regular HB lead imo.

I'm in industrial design, first semester at University of Montreal. I'm having a great time. They made a few changes this year compared to the previous years. Drawing/rendering projects must be done entirely by hand for the 1st year. In the previous years, students would come in and jump on Photoshop and Illustrator to "fix" they drawings, but were never really good at drawing by hand quickly. We only use the computer for Solidworks and layouts for presentations.
-T

that rendering is nice! can you explain how lacing would work? i don't see any replacements for laces.
sig is overrated. At least until i come up with something good

CreativiT: Those look awesome!!!!! Great rendering job and the color blocking is great. The shoe also looks unique and innovative. My only thought is that maybe you should have a line eched into the heel/ankle strap like on the forefoot strap. The line could flow with the shape of the ankle collar. Just a thought. But still, they look awesome.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Jay Y Kay, I didn't really think about the practical and technical aspect of the shoe when I sketched it out at first, since it was more of a quick styling exercise. I guess a hidden lacing system with very thin laces would work fine.

ak47celtis : Thanks for the suggestion. I definitly see what you're saying, I also felt that the heel strap was kind of plain, but wasn,t quite sure what to do. I might add something or do as you suggested and put a line down the strap
-T

Very nice creativiT, its a very clean marker rendering and one of the best I've seen too. Keep it up. I can't really comment too much on the design itself, since you said it was more of a styling exercise, but I think the straps might be a tad too thick.

i wish i could draw shoes, but i suck at it
Kenneth...stop looking at all of my posts and making fun of me at school
Karma Loop 20% off. use rep code CK10228
SZ 11 Nort Dunks -DS- for sale

creativiT- noice! I like how the strap almost fits into the changing line of the midsole where you made it thin out for flexability. It makes a connection between the strap and the midsole, and almost seems like the strap is affecting the modsole by pushing it.

I se, so colour blocking is pretty much using multiple layers. Montreal, Im actually thinking on going there, in a couple of years.

Very very nice sketches! I wish i had nuff patience to do this :wow:
eek.gif
WE NEED MORE COWBELL!`650

Archeever - Thanks man! True, the way I drew the straps wouldn't really work. They're kind of beefy and not very well positioned. I think it would work though if he forefoot strap was raised a little higher on the shoe.

1ofthesedaze - Thanks for the comments! Like you said, I made that little nudge to allow the shoe to flex easier, but that brings out even more the fact that the strap is right above it and would hinder flexibility haha oops.

nocomment06- Well according to my teacher, colorblocking is putting the first flat color on your drawing to situate where your colors will go. then you add different saturation/hue and shading to make the shape pop out more.

Where are you from? Honestly, University of Montreal is only a decent school as it's still growing. We have everything that would potentially make us a great school (infrastructure, workshops, workspace), but some of the teachers are not that good. They're great designers, but not necessarily great teachers. If you're in Canada, i'd check out Toronto first.

Hanacheezy - Post some of your sketches, a lot of people here will be happy to help you out if you want to.

thedirtbag89 - It's not really time consuming to do these sort of sketches. The side view above takes about 10 minutes max. Initial sketches are done a lot more loosely, so it really depends on how much time you're willing to put in your sketch to push it further.

I won't be able to put up the 5 other sketches I did. I thought I would have time to scan them before I'd hand them in, but I barely met the deadline. Didn't sleep 2 days in a row to finish off 3 projects, then had an exam on tuesday. I started the sketches on Tuesday night after the exam and kept falling asleep( I had to re-do 2 of them because I doze off while drawing and put marker all over the sketch haha). Went for a powernap, since I was sick of starting over, but fell in a deep sleep. Woke up, rushed the last 5 sketches and handed everything in on due time. I'm not really happy with them, but at least I'm done for this semester and can finally get some decent sleep for 2 weeks!

oh and I'll still do a step by step friday or saturday after I buy new markers. Most of my greys are dead.
-T

Creativit do you mind leavin your email? I got a couple of questions.

here is my zoom kobe 2 and jordan xx3. im not really a designer or artist. just did it for fun and i think it came out tight. i did it my best so just enjoy

watch this one sell out like an air jordan shoe - the game

Nice start. Try to simplify the midsole, but good ideas. Just uploaded a ton of sketches post em later just have to host em.....

TheGGGame: I'm feelin the ZK2, the only thing as nocomment6 said is you should simplify the shoe a bit in the midsole and toe area.

Dumb question but when hosting off of tinypic.com which link or html whatever its called do I have to post secound or third????

42sdzkk.jpg

I call it Huarache 2k5+. Tried to incorporate 2k4, 2k5, and original Huarache. Any comments welcome..

sketched it then scanned it.. and fixed here and there a lil bit on PS. I want to do markers and stuff like other guys but don't have the skill.. or PS skill so this is about as much as i can do right now.

Back
Top Bottom