Opinions on the X3. BMW heads , need opinions.

LOL. You have 2 cars man, you obviously SOUND like you have money and have made PLENTY of decisions before. Why are you waivering then? LOL

There are plenty of people that don't own cars, and those that are still financing their current car. As some have suggested, if all you needed was a SUV for your outdoor fun, then just buy a beater. This thread does sound PHISHY though. LOLZ

An original owner BMW is hard to come by, but it doesn't take a braniac to figure that out. Still, your mom can find a buyer on the secondary market. You simply have inside information on the car. It's up to you to decide. But again, this thread is PHISHY is what PHISHY does. Is this car your friend's? LOL

Again, I don't know what the issue is. LOL

ON OIL

Oil changes do not fix things. Oil is just a maintenance procedure that doesn't guarantee the NEED to replace other parts. Oil changes doesn't mean you won't have broken gaskets or seals. You cannot fight wear and tear no matter what, and rubber parts WILL NATURALLY FAIL and BREAK DOWN. The whole fad of emphasizing oil changes is a bit over done in today's world. The oil changing thing was for the carberator days, yeah the pump your gas before you can start. LOLZ

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Originally Posted by heatking

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

why not just cop a beater truck if all you're doing is pulling jetski's with it? 

i figured 7k would be a price of a beater truck right? i dont want to buy a 2500 truck and have to spend more fixing it then its worth. plus its nice to have some luxury when i go fishing and jetski'n:smile: 
true, idk bro it's not like you're going to be paying a ton.  i'd buy it if your mom has taken good care of it.
co-sign this.. if its been regularly maintained. 135,000 miles aint @$%$.. to many people on this forum focus too much on the milage of a car rather than how its been maintained..
and let me put it like this.. your mom bought it new. for $60k, has payed off 52K, trading it in is KINDA like throwing all that away for 2k.. (10k shell get minus 8k owed) is it really worth it? if it were me, id take it off your moms hands.. pay it off in less than 2 years. and that 60k is now YOURS. or your moms.. or your family car.. sure beats someone else owning a car that your mom has payed off mostly and has kept in good condition... thats just my opinion. goodluck bro.

"kop" though?

laugh.gif

Its only $7k left, just takeover payments and use it as your watercraft lugger.

@RunningFishy:

i own my daily driver and im still doing payments on my weekend warrior car . my friends dont own my cars? lol

what does PHiSHY mean?

yeah ive made plenty of decisions your right, but i always research and take time to think about it before just making random purchases.

you ever heard the saying a "a fool and his money are soon parted" ?

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

I hate when people say that Jay-Z line knowing damn well they driving a corolla. Come on bruh a new X5 costs about 60k minimum. Don't let Jay gas you up.

As far as the X3 OP is talking about if your mother owned the X3 since it was new and has taken proper care of the car I say go for it. Hell my mother owned a 2005 S430 MBZ since day one and it has 336k miles on it and still runs strong.

50k miles a year?

ducktales. only way thats theseable if shes in traveling sales or a regional manager or sumthin either way if she knew she was gunna be drivin that much n still bought a Benz she is very lucky it made it that long
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

I hate when people say that Jay-Z line knowing damn well they driving a corolla. Come on bruh a new X5 costs about 60k minimum. Don't let Jay gas you up.

As far as the X3 OP is talking about if your mother owned the X3 since it was new and has taken proper care of the car I say go for it. Hell my mother owned a 2005 S430 MBZ since day one and it has 336k miles on it and still runs strong.

50k miles a year?

ducktales. only way thats theseable if shes in traveling sales or a regional manager or sumthin either way if she knew she was gunna be drivin that much n still bought a Benz she is very lucky it made it that long
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

my parents travel a lot and its usually to places around here in FL probably almost every weekend and when they travel thats the car they use.
my moms parents/family lives in miami so she drives over their a lot

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

ON OIL

Oil changes do not fix things. Oil is just a maintenance procedure that doesn't guarantee the NEED to replace other parts. Oil changes doesn't mean you won't have broken gaskets or seals. You cannot fight wear and tear no matter what, and rubber parts WILL NATURALLY FAIL and BREAK DOWN. The whole fad of emphasizing oil changes is a bit over done in today's world. The oil changing thing was for the carberator days, yeah the pump your gas before you can start. LOLZ

Obviously nothing can guarantee an engine won't break. That is like saying Lebron is never going to sprain his ankle because he wears a new pair of shoes every game. 
But these are moving parts that are grinding on each other, it'll have wear and tear obviously but switching oils is key in keeping your car running good. That is common sense. So your saying we drive the exact same car for the exact number of miles, say 50k miles and I change my oil every 15k miles but you never changed your, you're saying both engines will be in the same condition? You're insane to be thinking that way. 
There are always going to be two sides of this argument but seriously, these BMWs cost $30k to $100k, an extra $100-$150 to change your oil a year is a good investment on the cars engine. If these were a Toyota where reliability isn't as much of an issue, then fine, change the oil every 10k-15k miles. But these German cars a notorious with problems. And people wonder why NTers warn people not to buy used BMWs with 100k miles, it's because of people who thinks small things liking changes oils more often is a "fad". 

50k miles a year?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

my parents travel a lot and its usually to places around here in FL probably almost every weekend and when they travel thats the car they use.

My mom drove from Fairfield to Morgan Hill for work everyday which is 100 miles one way.
And my family has driven this car from the bay area to vegas 6 six times, from the bay area to atlanta twice, and from the bay area to flint once. I can provide pictures if you don't believe me. And they are going to drive it to vegas in a couple of hours for the Mayweather vs Cotto fight.

50k miles a year?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

My mom drove from Fairfield to Morgan Hill for work everyday which is 100 miles one way.
And my family has driven this car from the bay area to vegas 6 six times, from the bay area to atlanta twice, and from the bay area to flint once. I can provide pictures if you don't believe me. And they are going to drive it to vegas in a couple of hours for the Mayweather vs Cotto fight.
is the MB a diesel engine?

Nope good ol fashion gasoline

OP just a quick question, if those are current pics of your moms x3 why are they dealer/seller pics ?

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by 40inchBoost

"We don't drive X5's we give 'em to baby-mammas"
laugh.gif

Can you afford an x5 bruh?

Jay got you kids brainwashed.
this is so true i dont understand how a 50k German SUV can be considered feminine. Dudes letting these rappers gas them into copping ridiculous sized SUVs where they dropping 5 bills a month of gas 

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

OP just a quick question, if those are current pics of your moms x3 why are they dealer/seller pics ?

those aren't my moms x3 i just took pics off google what it looks like i didnt feel like going to take pictures of her car. i dont live with them so i'd have to drive over just to take pics just to make a thread, i felt google images was an easier route.

Nope good ol fashion gasoline
damn thats whats up im gonna remember this when i go to replace my daily driver in some years. your moms car is S class right?

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

I have my eye on the 12' X3, it looks
smokin.gif

I like the Q5 better, maybe even the GLK? I'd probably get a Cayenne over any other though. Maybe even an Evoque.

Originally Posted by RFX45

ON OIL

Obviously nothing can guarantee an engine won't break. That is like saying Lebron is never going to sprain his ankle because he wears a new pair of shoes every game. 
But these are moving parts that are grinding on each other, it'll have wear and tear obviously but switching oils is key in keeping your car running good. That is common sense. So your saying we drive the exact same car for the exact number of miles, say 50k miles and I change my oil every 15k miles but you never changed your, you're saying both engines will be in the same condition? You're insane to be thinking that way. 
There are always going to be two sides of this argument but seriously, these BMWs cost $30k to $100k, an extra $100-$150 to change your oil a year is a good investment on the cars engine. If these were a Toyota where reliability isn't as much of an issue, then fine, change the oil every 10k-15k miles. But these German cars a notorious with problems. And people wonder why NTers warn people not to buy used BMWs with 100k miles, it's because of people who thinks small things liking changes oils more often is a "fad". 

I have owned quite a few cars and have driven them down to where the economical repairs DID NOT JUSTIFY keeping the vehicle and never have I gone into a situation where the 'engine' failed. LOL  Gaskets & seals failed me and became brittle, but never have I ran into a cracked block or head. LOLZ!!!!  But to say the engine caught on fire or failed is really a head scratcher. LOL  Like I said, times have changed.  These aren't the carb. days.

In my experience, I've only experienced a slipping transmission on a nissan, but that's it.

Naturally BMW's issue aren't really mechanical.  It's the electronic aspect of it.  That automatic seat belt not working, or that 'electronic' dipstick reading going hay wire.  It's stuff like that and the cost to fix/replace it is what makes the maintenance costly. 

To answer your question about 'engine' protection, I am saying excessive oil changes won't necessarily prevent you from having 'break downs'.  You might measure wear/tear from oil sample analysis, but it would be IMMATERIAL.  I personally change every 5-8K, but I don't have it set in stone.  When I used to drive in heavy traffic, I would change at 5-6K tops.  People who baby their BMWs or new cars by changing every 2-3K miles are fools.  But whatever works and whatever gives them a peace of mind.  Chances are, that average joe isn't gonna keep that car long enough any way.

ON OIL

I have owned quite a few cars and have driven them down to where the economical repairs DID NOT JUSTIFY keeping the vehicle and never have I gone into a situation where the 'engine' failed. LOL  Gaskets & seals failed me and became brittle, but never have I ran into a cracked block or head. LOLZ!!!!  But to say the engine caught on fire or failed is really a head scratcher. LOL  Like I said, times have changed.  These aren't the carb. days.

In my experience, I've only experienced a slipping transmission on a nissan, but that's it.

Naturally BMW's issue aren't really mechanical.  It's the electronic aspect of it.  That automatic seat belt not working, or that 'electronic' dipstick reading going hay wire.  It's stuff like that and the cost to fix/replace it is what makes the maintenance costly. 

To answer your question about 'engine' protection, I am saying excessive oil changes won't necessarily prevent you from having 'break downs'.  You might measure wear/tear from oil sample analysis, but it would be IMMATERIAL.  I personally change every 5-8K, but I don't have it set in stone.  When I used to drive in heavy traffic, I would change at 5-6K tops.  People who baby their BMWs or new cars by changing every 2-3K miles are fools.  But whatever works and whatever gives them a peace of mind.  Chances are, that average joe isn't gonna keep that car long enough any way.

Well various/plenty of high mileage 335i has had carbon build-ups and those could be prevented with more frequent oil changes and these were from people who only did changes when BMW feels it is required. So it isn't all about electrical problems. There's also the infamous VANOS issue, which usually cost ~$10k to replace and guess what, it usually happens after the warranty expires but that is another issue. Plus BMW doesn't even use the best oils out there, they are still a business and they'll use the cheapest oil possible as long as it won't break down within the warranty period. Again, if your car averages 10k miles a year, and BMW doesn't change your oil change until 15k, spend the extra $100-$150 and change it on 7500 miles just to be on the same side. On 15k miles, BMW will still allow you to change the oil at their expense anyways.

We seem to agree that you don't need to go crazy with oil changes every 3k miles but just the way you worded your first response it seemed like you believe oil changes before BMWs suggested 15k miles is crazy. 

I say go for it. Bmw's aren't as expensive to maintain as people make them out to be. Repairs on Bmw's are only expensive if you take them to the dealer. Plus, you said your mom is an old lady driver so you already know it hasn't been abused. Just make sure your on top of maintenance that's what makes these cars last. Yes, you'll have to get certain things fixed and replaced but there's not one car that you don't have to do that. If you go to the Bmw forums you'll find loads of people with 200K+ miles on them and still going strong.

Well various/plenty of high mileage 335i has had carbon build-ups and those could be prevented with more frequent oil changes and these were from people who only did changes when BMW feels it is required. So it isn't all about electrical problems. There's also the infamous VANOS issue, which usually cost ~$10k to replace and guess what, it usually happens after the warranty expires but that is another issue. Plus BMW doesn't even use the best oils out there, they are still a business and they'll use the cheapest oil possible as long as it won't break down within the warranty period. Again, if your car averages 10k miles a year, and BMW doesn't change your oil change until 15k, spend the extra $100-$150 and change it on 7500 miles just to be on the same side. On 15k miles, BMW will still allow you to change the oil at their expense anyways.

We seem to agree that you don't need to go crazy with oil changes every 3k miles but just the way you worded your first response it seemed like you believe oil changes before BMWs suggested 15k miles is crazy. 

I ain't rich and I don't front.  I've got into cars initially to save money, but over time got the passion for it.  I still would like to own a BMW, but I'm not the type to just finance or lease, or make irrational decisions.

I guess my experience has told me that the intervals suggested in the manuals change much like the auto makers themselves. Anybody that has been in this will tell you that they don't make it like they use to.  To agree w/ your realization that profit margins are to be maximized is not a shocker, especially at the expense of displaceable items like the oil.  I had thought that BMW or was it PORSCHE broke every engine in w/ XOM SYN or what not, but I could be wrong.

I haven't owned nor operated on a BMW before but do know that the average joe could not do even the simplest maintenance w/o taking it to the shop.

I imagine if I were to own a turbo charged BMW down the road, as it seems they did away w/ the inline 6 (SAD FACE), then I would change my oil at about 3-5K.  This is inline with what you've said though, and I agree.  This also kinda makes me feel uncomfortable about BMW because things might just break down after the 4 years. LOLZ  

Who knows though.  BMW might be right about changing oil once a year or whatever, but I would say it depends on the climate.  If you live in harsh weather, changing more frequent is necessary.  I don't think CEOs that drive 50-80K cars would care to contest w/ the manufacturer. LOLZ  But you're right, obviously BMW PRICED in the recommendation, so they wouldn't see a long line of cars hahaha.

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

I have my eye on the 12' X3, it looks
smokin.gif

I like the Q5 better, maybe even the GLK? I'd probably get a Cayenne over any other though. Maybe even an Evoque.
Evoque has a pretty small engine compared to its competitors, Cayenne is a bit bigger i compare it with the Q7 and the X5, the Q5 and the GLK is
pimp.gif
...I really love the new X3 though I drive a Nissan Rogue now and its about the same size so i wont might making that power switch

Back
Top Bottom