"OTHER BRAND" - RUNNING shoe thread - asics, saucony, new balance, hoka one one, adidas, reebok, brooks, altra, skechers, etc...

did it count and was recognized? I thought thats why the breaking2 event wasnt gonna be a world record no matter what because of the pacers or was it also because it was more of a controlled environment?

and another thing, i cant believe one of his pacers wore adidas so now i think that story is now BS... :lol:

did it count and was recognized? I thought thats why the breaking2 event wasnt gonna be a world record no matter what because of the pacers or was it also because it was more of a controlled environment?

and another thing, i cant believe one of his pacers wore adidas so now i think that story is now BS... :lol:

He wasn't the only one to have a team of pacers at Berlin 2018:

"But the talk at Berlin seems always about records, and the small army of pace-makers confirms that is the event’s priority. 'There will be two teams of pacers for the men. Wilson Kipsang wants 61:30 at halfway, but Eliud Kipchoge might want to go a little bit quicker, so we have pacers for him aiming at 61:00,” said race director Mark Milde.'"

i guess its accepted practice

i mean i assume the pacers also has to qualify for those races (which is probably easy for them) and they can just say they are just "running" as usual when quastioned

im more curious how much those guys gets paid

i mean i assume the pacers also has to qualify for those races (which is probably easy for them) and they can just say they are just "running" as usual when quastioned

Exactly -- how much are those guys getting paid to pace at probably 75% of their max effort versus competing themselves?

I thought for bigger races, pacers are provided by the race itself (whether paid or volunteer) so qualifying isn't an issue? It's not that different than the normal pacers who lead larger (and much slower) pace groups for bigger races and who have a proven track record of being able to complete the race at that avg. pace. In Kipchoge's case, he was going for a WR and the pacers dropped out before the halfway mark because they couldn't keep the pace up (which gives you a sense at how fast they were going). But once they drop no new pacers cycle in, so you don't run afoul of the rules.

I don’t know about the Halls. But I do know the Goat used the group as pacers in the Olympics while telling them all if they’re off pace. Didn’t Galen get annoyed at that? And he still won.

this is Kinda like the TDF where the yellow Jersey is known as the “boss” of the peloton and determines in a way how the rules of engagement of each stage will be handled.

He’s the goat though! So it’s allowed. Are they opportunistic? Idk.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the Halls. But I do know the Goat used the group as pacers in the Olympics while telling them all if they’re off pace. Didn’t Galen get annoyed at that? And he still won.

this is Kinda like the TDF where the yellow Jersey is known as the “boss” of the peloton and determines in a way how the rules of engagement of each stage will be handled.

He’s the goat though! So it’s allowed. Are they opportunistic? Idk.

last i saw galen used kipchoge as a pacer until he got pissed and told him to step up and then kipchoge said f it anf left everyone in the dust, galen didnt even podium unless it was another olympics(?)

i saw most of that marathon and kipchoge in japna and he didnt use a pacer, i mean not everyone qualifies for the olympics and if you do you arent gon just gon throw it away so you can run in front of someone for 5 miles and then fall off

eliuds countrymen were there to win all 3 medals, only 3 qualifies per nation so do other qualifiers from another country really earn that honor and says “f that, imma help this dude win gold instead”?

every other marathon i can see and i do vaguely remember a pacer that just came on running in one of the other marathon and ended up qualifying, i forgot who it was

last i saw galen used kipchoge as a pacer until he got pissed and told him to step up and then kipchoge said f it anf left everyone in the dust, galen didnt even podium unless it was another olympics(?)

i saw most of that marathon and kipchoge in japna and he didnt use a pacer, i mean not everyone qualifies for the olympics and if you do you arent gon just gon throw it away so you can run in front of someone for 5 miles and then fall off

eliuds countrymen were there to win all 3 medals, only 3 qualifies per nation so do other qualifiers from another country really earn that honor and says “f that, imma help this dude win gold instead”?

every other marathon i can see and i do vaguely remember a pacer that just came on running in one of the other marathon and ended up qualifying, i forgot who it was
It was this olympic marathon, but totally agree - Im with you, in this case they're all running for country. I meant Kipchoge used this group of runners as pacers. He didnt have pacers per say but galen and those guys were basically his pacers, even if they didnt like it. You dont tell the "Boss" to pull. Ask any cyclist.

Usually when there are pacers, the terms of the time markers they are going to run are negotiated with the "elite" group beforehand.

Pacer - I believe a pacer won a marathon at one time no?

nah, if you're running ahead of the pack, someone's bound to be behind you and i dont consider you as a pacer

in the olympics if you ran in a line then its just strategy to run behind someone and use them, it is what it is, dont be upfront if you dont want to be used as a wind blocker

if you were paid to run in front of someone so they can win or get a better time, then yeah you're a pacer, i mean theres usually multiple people as pacers too

and again, towards the end of that racer, actually might be the middle, galen shadowed kipchoge not the other way around

im actually not sure which vid you were watching, from the get go kipchoge was up in front (with no one in front of him majority of the run) and pretty much for most of the race and then at halfway point everyones behind, kipchoge and his countrymen were running either behind him or next to him and watch at the hour and 30 min mark and the 3 Kenyans are ahead of everyone

not sure why you keep defending galen like he was used :lol: towards the halfway mark kipchoge was the pacer for everyone else until he pulled away, watch that vid from 1:35 mark

its not the first time galen has pissed off someone either because they were on their heels and gave little space, its kind f'd up because if you clip their heels and he might fall, I wouldnt be surprised if kipchoge felt that and why he got mad

Last edited:
nah, if you're running ahead of the pack, someone's bound to be behind you and i dont consider you as a pacer

in the olympics if you ran in a line then its just strategy to run behind someone and use them, it is what it is, dont be upfront if you dont want to be used as a wind blocker

if you were paid to run in front of someone so they can win or get a better time, then yeah you're a pacer, i mean theres usually multiple people as pacers too

and again, towards the end of that racer, actually might be the middle, galen shadowed kipchoge not the other way around

im actually not sure which vid you were watching, from the get go kipchoge was up in front (with no one in front of him majority of the run) and pretty much for most of the race and then at halfway point everyones behind, kipchoge and his countrymen were running either behind him or next to him and watch at the hour and 30 min mark and the 3 Kenyans are ahead of everyone

not sure why you keep defending galen like he was used :lol: towards the halfway mark kipchoge was the pacer for everyone else until he pulled away, watch that vid from 1:35 mark

its not the first time galen has pissed off someone either because they were on their heels and gave little space, its kind f'd up because if you clip their heels and he might fall, I wouldnt be surprised if kipchoge felt that and why he got mad

Agree--I watched the race live and Kipchoge was up towards the front of the lead pack just biding his time at a pace that was comfortable for him but was at or faster than the PRs of other people in the pack. I seem to recall that after the halfway point he made his break and left everyone behind for good.

I never meant to defend Galen at all. I Actually didn't like his response. I actually though Kipchoge (Obviously) was toying with this group. This is all tactics. I'm saying the Goat has all the right to dictate the terms.

Kipchoge has the right to whatever he wants right now. Galen and all be damned. Such is the respect you get for your wins. I would say some were glad to be in the group with him.

My bad if my wording stated the other way around.

Circling back to the main topic - is he an opportunist because he had pacers, of course not. Hes accomplishing what hes setting out to do.

Found some images of the 1080v12 on the web today in a womens colorway. Looks like NB ditched the polarizing heel collar
063F535C-C461-43ED-A932-2264F21C8AB6.jpeg
DF2CD9AA-1612-4780-AB00-7C97EDF4865B.jpeg

Nice paces in here. I used to be a just go out and run person and tbh still kind of am but recently I see a lot more individuals planning more relaxed/easy runs with an 80/20 split focusing on easier runs.

Ran in the Liberate Nitro this morning for the first time (scooped them for the absurd $60 sale price on Puma direct) and I think they might be the closest thing to the feeling of the Pegasus Turbo out there. The crazy thing is they're 2 ounces lighter than the old Turbos were too. Hell of a shoe that's not getting enough hype, but these will be replacing the Rebel v2 for me, they're that much better.

I hate copping anything from either footsites like footlocker, champs, or finishline. Most likely the shoes will be coming from a physical store in a crooked busted plastic bag or cardboard during shipping. If you are lucky enough, they ship you the correct size as you order.

Not looking to break the bank tbh but need a pair of sunglasses to wear while running. Tired of grabbing whatever free sunglasses I’ve gotten just laying around. Any recs?

Back
Top Bottom