Palm gets back into the game with touchscreen Pre, WebOS

sorry if im late but i found this on yahoo news

Palm was under serious pressure to hit a home run at CES today-and boy, did it deliver. Running Palm's gorgeous (if belated) new platform, dubbed WebOS,the touchscreen Pre could well be Palm's savior, and perhaps its biggest hit.

So, as for the Pre itself (due on Sprint in the first half of this year, no pricing yet): It's got a big, 3.1-inch 480 by 320 touch display (yes, withmultitouch and an accelerometer), weighs in at 4.8 ounces, and comes with a curved, slide-out keypad. Yes, it does Wi-Fi and 3G (EV-DO Rev. A, to be exact), aswell as GPS (with turn-by-turn directions courtesy of TeleNav), stereo Bluetooth, 8GB of internal storage, a 3MP camera, a 3.5mm headset jack, and a removablebattery.

But the key to the Pre is its OS, and WebOS-previously code-named "Nova"-is one of the hottest mobile platforms I've seen yet, rivaling bothAndroid and Apple's iPhone OS.

At a glance, WebOS doesn't look all that different from the icon-driven, touch-based Android and iPhone platforms; you've got your main, wallpaperedhome screen, complete with a row of icons along the bottom for your standard e-mail, calendar, and calling features.

But Palm's done a few key things differently here, starting with the "gesture" area at the bottom or side of the screen (if you're, say,surfing the Web in landscape mode). For example, if you're browsing an individual contact in the Pre's address book, you can flick horizontally in thegesture area to go back to the contact list, or you can flick up for a translucent window shade of applications. Nice.

More importantly, though, is WebOS's way of letting you handle and sort all your open applications like a deck of cards. If you're composing an e-mail,for example, you can flick up, call open a new application, and then return to your e-mail at any point. All open applications appear as windows (similar tothe windows in the iPhone's Web browser), and you can flick back and forth, reorder them, and discard them at will.

That's really cool, and it solves one of the biggest problems that's dogged the iPhone-namely, that its various applications are all walled off, makingit difficult to easily switch from, say, the Web browser to the calendar and back again.

WebOS also introduces a concept dubbed "Synergy," which all applications can continuously get info from the Web. The best example: WebOS'sunified contact list, which seamlessly displays all your contacts and grab their e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and IM handles from Facebook, Gmail,Exchange, you name it.

I'm also happy with Palm's integrated messaging interface, which combines IM and text chats into a single, threaded conversation.

And then there's the WebOS "Dashboard": a flexible space at the bottom of the screen for calling, messaging, and appointment alerts. Asyou're working in other applications, you might see the first line of a text message or IM, or the Dashboard might open a bit bigger for a calendar alert,complete with "dismiss" and "snooze" options. When alerts appear, you're free to keep working in your open application, or you can goahead and open the alert-and if you want to answer an IM, you can swipe to that "card" in WebOS, and then return to your previous application card.Great stuff.

A few other interesting notes: When you're sitting at the Pre's main screen, you can just start typing on the QWERTY keypad to call up a universalsearch menu; you'll instantly see any matching contacts, or you can quickly jump to Web results from Google, Google Maps, and Wikipedia.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention "Touchstone," a little hockey puck of an accessory with a killer feature-wireless charging. Just place the Pre ontop of the Touchstone device to power it up. Awesome.

It's a lot to chew on-indeed, Palm's press conference is barely an hour old, and already I'm having the same feeling I did after the iPhone'sdebut two years ago. The Pre-and WebOS-look red-hot, and the two combined may well guarantee that Palm will live to fight another (and perhaps, many) days.

So, initial thoughts? Like what you see? Will developers take to writing WebOS applications? Fire away.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/32611

wireless charging is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I saw the videos on Gizmodo and I'm impressed. Like other people, I haven't been wowed like this since the iPhone.

I finally got to play with a Touch Diamond and Pro and loved them, but it appears that this device is an upgrade w/o giving up functionality (read: iPhonedoesn't sync notes, copy/paste, or save what I've typed into the browser when I use a different program?!).

From what I've ready, this isn't the final version of the device. Changes may be made to the hardware and/or software before its release.

My questions:

- YouTube: Will it have a dedicated player? Will they add Flash support to the web browser before this gets official?

- Edit: How easy will it be and will it work in and between all/most programs? "The device features copy and paste, which is implemented by holding athumb on the gesture area and grabbing the text you want with your other thumb or a finger -- there's also a dropdown menu that lets your move through anumber of editing options."

- Can we lock the screen? How sensitive will it be to a phone call while in my pocket? Is there an easy way to see time? date? calendar? texts? other alerts?

- Will notes sync with Outlook? Will it sync with a Mac?

- Will I be able to browse through other music w/o auto-playing a song from each album?

- Will it have a dedicated mms application? It does.

- What size battery does it come with and how long will it last?

This phone is about the same height and width as an HTCTouch (6900) and a little thinner than a Touch Pro. Thekeys are supposed to be larger and more spaced out than the keys on the Centro.

If I can purchase this and use it with my existing plan (SERO 500), I'll buy one the day it comes out. If I have to switch to an Everything Plan, I'llwait to see what bugs there are and what Apple has up their sleeve.

Links to more pic's and videos:

http://www.engadget.com/2...nd-huge-hands-on-gallery/

http://i.gizmodo.com/5126...ours?skyline=true&s=x

http://i.gizmodo.com/5126...zing?skyline=true&s=x

Mrmeeh2:
palm is such a biter.....straight down to the core.
tired.gif

Ironic, considering the first mainstream (key word) devices that were basically mini-computers were made by Palm. All these do-hickeys that fit inyour pocket and feature calendars and note pads and addresses and play games and what not... they're all biting off of what Palm started in the 90s, withthe M series of PDAs (if memory serves me correctly).

I don't know if the M series was the first series for Palm, but I know they started the mainstream 'computer in your pocket' phenomenon. I had an Mseries, then a couple Handsprings (Palm powered) then a Palm T5, and now a Palm T|X, and I love them.

I hadn't heard of this new deal, but I'm glad Palm finally got back into the game they started. And even if one doesn't agree that Palm started it,then I'm glad Palm got back into the game, because I've been feeling like this T|X is a little behind the times, what with all these iTouches runningaround.
laugh.gif

We're older heads ska... A lot of people won't remember Palm like we will.
laugh.gif

But yeah, this joint looks slick.

I've always felt that touchscreen with a physical qwerty keyboard is the way to go.

At least for me.

Too bad this is a Sprint exclusive though.

I actually just finished watching the video's and telling my girl I found the perfect phone for her.

Here is some of the specs I was able to dig up. Of course some of these may change closer to release date.

Here's a quick rundown of everything you need to know spec-wise:
* TI's new OMAP CPU
* High-speed wireless (EV-DO Rev. A or HSDPA, depending on version)
* 802.11b / g WiFi
* Integrated GPS
* 3.1-inch 24-bit color 480 x 320 display
* Dedicated gesture area below display
* Slide-out portrait QWERTY keyboard
* Exchange email support in addition to POP and IMAP
* IM, MMS, and SMS messaging
* High-performance browser
* 3-megapixel camera with LED flash and "extended depth of field"
* 3.5mm headphone jack
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR with A2DP
* 8GB of internal storage
* USB mass storage mode
* MicroUSB connectivity with USB 2.0
* Proximity sensor for detecting when phone is near face
* Light sensor to automatically dim display
* Ringer mute switch
* Removable rechargeable battery
* 59.57 x 100.53 x 16.95mm closed
* 4.76 ounces

Not all that impressed and the fact it's on Sprint = EPIC FAILURE. Palm, wut? lulz, nobody cares.

iPhone > Pre

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Not all that impressed and the fact it's on Sprint = EPIC FAILURE. Palm, wut? lulz, nobody cares.

iPhone > Pre
Sprint & Windows Vista have to be the most mistaken companies/products ever. I've rocked my Palm Centro for over 1 year, with noproblems, does everything I need, (text, internet, facebook, youtube, google maps, video, camera) and it cost me $50 for the phone and $30 a month for theplan. Do the math vs. the Iphone!
laugh.gif

I was wishing the recession would teach Americans to be smart with their money. I guess not.

The Pre looks fantastic, like the rep at CES stated, why try to compete with Iphone, just do what the consumers need. Can't wait, will def. cop.

User Interface looks nice
I'm going to make Sprint give me this phone
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
at them playing NaS in the background

This phone looks good though, I'll wait for more video and info to come out

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

i just came in here to say

blackberry>palm
this was true a few years ago, but now that John Rubenstein is back at Palm, at least i think thas his name, cant remember what my mother told me,she works for palm. But she said he's pretty much turned the entire company around in about 1.5 years. Expect big things from them in the future, also thePre is slated to come out sometime in early-mid summer this year.

so basically this is a palm centro with a full screen with a slider keyboard.

i can dig it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

iPhone > Pre
You don't like multitasking?

You don't like editing (highlight, copy, cut, pase)?

You don't like having mms (picture/video/audio mail)?

You've never wanted a back-up battery?

I love the iPhone, but I don't like two three fourthings:

1. I can't edit
  2. I can't multitask
  3. I can't sync my notes
  4. No smart dialing
I look forward to both this device and the next iPhone, but I won't leave my plan for either.

Regarding the Pre, I have one more question, will I be able to download Windows Live Search?

Back
Top Bottom