Pardon my ignorance...why do people hate Jews?

I must not have been paying attention in school back in the day...

I've never understood why they're so hated...even throughout history (WW2, The Six Day war, etc)...

It caught my attention today when my Italian friends were talking about visiting Israel and someone made a disrespectful remark out of nowhere.

Thanks.

I would like to know this as well. I think it has something to do with them controlling all the banks etc. and no one likes that.

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

1. Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."
  2. Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."
  3. Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."
  4. Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."
  5. Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)
  6. Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race."

As we examine the explanations,
we must ask -- Are they the causes for anti-Semitism or excuses for Anti-Semitism? The difference? If one takes away the cause, then anti-Semitism should no longer exist. If one can show a contradiction to the explanation, it demonstrates that the "cause" is not a reason, it is just an excuse. Let's look at some contradictions:
  1. Economic -- The Jews of 17th- 20th century Poland and Russia were dirt poor, had no influence and yet they were hated.
  2. Chosen People -- a) In the late 19th century, the Jews of Germany denied "Choseness." And then they worked on assimilation. Yet, the holocaust started there. b) Christians and Moslems profess to being the "Chosen people," yet, the world and the anti-Semites tolerate them.
  3. Scapegoat -- Any group must already be hated to be an effective scapegoat. The Scapegoat Theory does not then cause anti-Semitism. Rather, anti-Semitism is what makes the Jews a convenient scapegoat target. Hitler's ranting and ravings would not be taken seriously if he said, "It's the bicycle riders and the midgets who are destroying our society."
  4. Deicide -- a) the Christian Bible says the Romans killed Jesus, though Jews are mentioned as accomplices (claims that Jews killed Jesus came several hundred years later). How come the accomplices are persecuted and there isn't an anti-Roman movement through history? b) Jesus himself said, "Forgive them [i.e., the Jews], for they know not what they do." The Second Vatican Council in 1963 officially exonerated the Jews as the killers of Jesus. Neither statement of Christian belief lessened anti-Semitism.
  5. Outsiders -- With the Enlightenment in the late 18th century, many Jews rushed to assimilate. Anti-Semitism should have stopped. Instead, for example, with the Nazis came the cry, in essence: "We hate you, not because you're different, but because you're trying to become like us! We cannot allow you to infect the Aryan race with your inferior genes."
  6. Racial Theory -- The overriding problem with this theory is that it is self-contradictory: Jews are not a race. Anyone can become a Jew - and members of every race, creed and color in the world have done so at one time or another.

Goes back millenia. The Church promoted Anti-Semitism by saying that they were responsible for Jesus' death. Also, Jews were the bankers and lenders andwere often ruthless when it came to debts. This was because the Church forbade Christians from dealing and exchanging money (reason why Jesus throws a tantrumin the temple). Due to the fact that Christians couldn't lend money, etc. they were forced to deal with Jews who often called in their debts. This causedan intense hate between Christians and Jews.

Originally Posted by GG0tti

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

1. Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."
  2. Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."
  3. Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."
  4. Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."
  5. Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)
  6. Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race."

As we examine the explanations,
we must ask -- Are they the causes for anti-Semitism or excuses for Anti-Semitism? The difference? If one takes away the cause, then anti-Semitism should no longer exist. If one can show a contradiction to the explanation, it demonstrates that the "cause" is not a reason, it is just an excuse. Let's look at some contradictions:
  1. Economic -- The Jews of 17th- 20th century Poland and Russia were dirt poor, had no influence and yet they were hated.
  2. Chosen People -- a) In the late 19th century, the Jews of Germany denied "Choseness." And then they worked on assimilation. Yet, the holocaust started there. b) Christians and Moslems profess to being the "Chosen people," yet, the world and the anti-Semites tolerate them.
  3. Scapegoat -- Any group must already be hated to be an effective scapegoat. The Scapegoat Theory does not then cause anti-Semitism. Rather, anti-Semitism is what makes the Jews a convenient scapegoat target. Hitler's ranting and ravings would not be taken seriously if he said, "It's the bicycle riders and the midgets who are destroying our society."
  4. Deicide -- a) the Christian Bible says the Romans killed Jesus, though Jews are mentioned as accomplices (claims that Jews killed Jesus came several hundred years later). How come the accomplices are persecuted and there isn't an anti-Roman movement through history? b) Jesus himself said, "Forgive them [i.e., the Jews], for they know not what they do." The Second Vatican Council in 1963 officially exonerated the Jews as the killers of Jesus. Neither statement of Christian belief lessened anti-Semitism.
  5. Outsiders -- With the Enlightenment in the late 18th century, many Jews rushed to assimilate. Anti-Semitism should have stopped. Instead, for example, with the Nazis came the cry, in essence: "We hate you, not because you're different, but because you're trying to become like us! We cannot allow you to infect the Aryan race with your inferior genes."
  6. Racial Theory -- The overriding problem with this theory is that it is self-contradictory: Jews are not a race. Anyone can become a Jew - and members of every race, creed and color in the world have done so at one time or another.

Thanks. I've been wondering why they garner so much hate.

I never understood the level animosity for Jews and this is with me knowing the history. What they do or have done is no different than any other group.

I can't even bring myself to understand the hate for this specific group or find the humor in it most of the time.

laugh.gif
at this thread. bookmarked....

Originally Posted by SaltineWarrior

Goes back millenia. The Church promoted Anti-Semitism by saying that they were responsible for Jesus' death. Also, Jews were the bankers and lenders and were often ruthless when it came to debts. This was because the Church forbade Christians from dealing and exchanging money (reason why Jesus throws a tantrum in the temple). Due to the fact that Christians couldn't lend money, etc. they were forced to deal with Jews who often called in their debts. This caused an intense hate between Christians and Jews.
so that explains it...but after almost 2000 years you would think people would learn to "forgive" and they call theirselves Christians

just my opinion though

Well, here in the U.S., the Jews control the media. Viacom, Disney, Time Warner/AOL, Wall St. Journal, New York Times, etc. Don't know if RupertMurdoch is a jew, but Fox News pushes the Jewish neoconservative agenda. Then you have the Jewish Lobby.

Then on the other side of the world you have Israel and their genocide and crimes against humanity.

I dont think anyone hates jews.
everything ive heard bad about them is because they have soo much money.

isnt every commissioner for the NFL, NBA ect. jewish?

i have nothing against them. more power to them if they can climb to the top like that and make money. isnt that what everyone is trying to do no matter whatthe race/religion?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Slave trade?

Obviously there were Jews involved in the Slave Trade but it wasn't necessarily more than the Portuguese or any other groups.

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Cause they're cheap?

Dude i worked for short cut me every paycheck though taxes. The deductions were never consistent. I probably could of filed tax fraud but i didnt cause i wasonly in hs.
tired.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Slave trade?

Obviously there were Jews involved in the Slave Trade but it wasn't necessarily more than the Portuguese or any other groups.
70% of Jewish households in America owned slaves vs. 30% of Caucasian gentiles.

European Jews also financed, started and encouraged the African slave trade as they were the first Europeans to map the African coast and trade gold andproducts with Western African civilizations.

Not that this is justification for hate just a historical fact.

Slave trade?

there were africans in the slave trade to, how the hell are you gonna claim thats a reason people hate jews?

Slave trade?

70% of Jewish households in America owned slaves vs. 30% of Caucasian gentiles.

European Jews also financed, started and encouraged the African slave trade as they were the first Europeans to map the African coast and trade gold and products with Western African civilizations.

Not that this is justification for hate just a historical fact.

what kind of ******ed statistics are you showing. There were hardly any jews in america so saying 70 percent of them owned slaves means absolutley nothing. 70percent of how many people? 30 percent of gentiles out of what number?

Originally Posted by DubA169

Slave trade?

there were africans in the slave trade to, how the hell are you gonna claim thats a reason people hate jews?
Did I claim anything?

Or do you see two words and a question mark?

Calm the hell down.

Back
Top Bottom