Pardon my ignorance...why do people hate Jews?

But Blacks arent the ones hating Jews its usually just the whites but they tend to hate everybody tho.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Slave trade?

Obviously there were Jews involved in the Slave Trade but it wasn't necessarily more than the Portuguese or any other groups.
70% of Jewish households in America owned slaves vs. 30% of Caucasian gentiles.

European Jews also financed, started and encouraged the African slave trade as they were the first Europeans to map the African coast and trade gold and products with Western African civilizations.

Not that this is justification for hate just a historical fact.
Where did you get your stats from? The slave owning South was Protestant. Jews were a rarity in the United States at this time.

Marc Lee Raphael

"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated.

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa. Isaac Da Costa of Charleston in the 1750's, David Franks of Philadelphia in the 1760's, and Aaron Lopez of Newport in the late 1760's and early 1770's dominated Jewish slave trading on the American continent."

SOURCE: Jews and Judaism in the United States a Documentary History (New York: Behrman House, Inc., Pub, 1983), p. 14.

Dr. Lee Raphael is the editor of American Jewish History, the journal of the American Jewish Historical Society at Brandeis University in Massachusetts

Ira Rosenwaike

"In Charleston, Richmond and Savannah the large majority (over three-fourths) of the Jewish households contained one or more slaves; in Baltimore, only one out of three households were slaveholding; in New York, one out of eighteen....Among the slaveholding households the median number of slaves owned ranged from five in Savannah to one in New York."

SOURCE: "The Jewish Population in 1820," in Abraham J. Karp, ed., The Jewish Experience in America: Selected Studies from the Publications of the American Jewish Historical Society (Waltham, Massachusetts, 1969, 3 volumes), volume 2, pp. 2, 17, 19.

Originally Posted by cartune

But Blacks arent the ones hating Jews its usually just the whites but they tend to hate everybody tho.

didnt want to say myself but

qft

its usually just white people hating people...no racist

^ thank you for posting your source of information but I still don't see where you got the whole 70 percent/30 percent statistics. There were VERY few jewsin america at the time, so I just don;t understand what type of numbers we are talking about here.

p.s. the romans killed christ, he was a JEW (not directed at you)

Originally Posted by Beast4ya

Originally Posted by cartune

didnt want to say myself but

qft

its usually just white people hating people...no racist

lol nah

that aint even true

Yea, I'm not saying your wrong Haze, but I have never seen that statistic before.

And a lot of the hate against JEws and things people say is propaganda. While I understand within the last 60 years why people have been angry at Isreal, Jewshave basically been %%#@#%% upon for thousands of years. The word ghetto, is a Yiddish word, we were pushed to the bottom of Europe and not allowed toparticipate in society.

I would also say we are the smartest ethinc group in the Western world considering that they if you take the 10 most important thinkers/intellectuals at leasthalf of them would be Jewish. Freud, Einstien, Kafka, Derrida.

And while we were involved in the killing of Jesus, it wasn't just us, it was the Romans as well.

Marc Lee Raphael

"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated.

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa. Isaac Da Costa of Charleston in the 1750's, David Franks of Philadelphia in the 1760's, and Aaron Lopez of Newport in the late 1760's and early 1770's dominated Jewish slave trading on the American continent."

SOURCE: Jews and Judaism in the United States a Documentary History (New York: Behrman House, Inc., Pub, 1983), p. 14.

Dr. Lee Raphael is the editor of American Jewish History, the journal of the American Jewish Historical Society at Brandeis University in Massachusetts

Ira Rosenwaike

"In Charleston, Richmond and Savannah the large majority (over three-fourths) of the Jewish households contained one or more slaves; in Baltimore, only one out of three households were slaveholding; in New York, one out of eighteen....Among the slaveholding households the median number of slaves owned ranged from five in Savannah to one in New York."

SOURCE: "The Jewish Population in 1820," in Abraham J. Karp, ed., The Jewish Experience in America: Selected Studies from the Publications of the American Jewish Historical Society (Waltham, Massachusetts, 1969, 3 volumes), volume 2, pp. 2, 17, 19.

So that is only 3/4's in those Southern cities, where there weren't very many Jews in the first place. And if you were wealthy in the South, you hadslaves for instance the Vice President of the Confederacy was actually a Jew, Judah P. Benjamin.

Originally Posted by DubA169

^ thank you for posting your source of information but I still don't see where you got the whole 70 percent/30 percent statistics. There were VERY few jews in america at the time, so I just don;t understand what type of numbers we are talking about here.
Yea, I'm not saying your wrong Haze, but I have never seen that statistic before.
Jacob Rader Marcus
"All through the eighteenth century, into the early nineteenth, Jews in the North were to own black servants; in the South, the few plantations owned by Jews were tilled with slave labor. In 1820, over 75 percent of all Jewish families in Charleston, Richmond, and Savannah owned slaves, employed as domestic servants; almost 40 percent of all Jewish householders in the United States owned one slave or more. There were no protests against slavery as such by Jews in the South, where they were always outnumbered at least 100 to 1....But very few Jews anywhere in the United States protested against chattel slavery on moral grounds."

Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995) was a scholar of Jewish history and a Reform rabbi. Born in New Haven, Pennsylvania, United States, into a traditional Jewish family, Marcus became interested in Reform Judaism at the age of 15. At that time, he travelled to Hebrew Union College (HUC), in Cincinnati, Ohio, to begin his rabbinical training. After a two-year interim during World War I, when he served in the American military, Marcus returned to graduate studies in Cincinnati. After receiving rabbinical ordination in 1920, Marcus was appointed to the faculy of HUC, where he began teaching biblical history. In 1922, Marcus travelled to Berlin to study Jewish history with Ismar Elbogen, who awarded Marcus a Ph.D. in 1925. In that year, Marcus married Antoinette Brody in Paris. After briefly studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1926, Marcus returned to Cincinnati, where he lectured at HUC consistently until 1995. In 1959, he was named the Adolph S. Ochs Professor of American Jewish History. In 1965, he was appointed to HUC's Milton and Hattie Kutz Distinguished Service Chair in American Jewish History. Marcus devoted most of his post-World War II historical career to American Jewish history and founded the American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati in 1947 on the campus of HUC. He is, perhaps, best known for his work on Medieval European Jewish history, The Jew in the Medieval World: A Source Book: 315-1791, first published in 1938.

These are all well known and respected Jewish scholars.

Don't get at me for quoting what they recorded as history.

Well Dom my dude.. some black people hate jews (speaking on what I know here) because they assume:

1. They killed Jesus.
2. They own the world.

I myself do not hate jews in the slightest... or the white man for that matter... I believe power corrupts ALL men, regardless of race.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

So that is only 3/4's in those Southern cities, where there weren't very many Jews in the first place. And if you were wealthy in the South, you had slaves for instance the Vice President of the Confederacy was actually a Jew, Judah P. Benjamin.

HueyP in LouieV wrote:

Not that this is justification for hate just a historical fact.

Blacks arent the ones hating Jews its usually just the whites

From my experiences this is partially true. Most Black people don't take the time to differentiate between nationalities, they just seewhite/black/asian/hispanic, etc.

Here in Europe I'm learning firsthand how Italians don't like French, Western Europeans don't like Eastern Europeans, Northern Italy doesn'tlike Southern Italians and etc. It's the craziest thing.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

From my experiences this is partially true. Most Black people don't take the time to differentiate between nationalities, they just see white/black/asian/hispanic, etc.

Here in Europe I'm learning firsthand how Italians don't like French, Western Europeans don't like Eastern Europeans, Northern Italy doesn't like Southern Italians and etc. It's the craziest thing.
It goes back centuries. Research the period in which the French invaded Italy.

I hate when people say "You Jew!", "What a Jew!"etc
smh.gif
...Ijust think it's racist and not funny at all.

No, I trusted the source, but there prolly weren't more than a couple thousand Jews in the South, and those were all mostly wealthy merchants in the portcities which you listed. All the poor Jews were still the in New York or whatever. But as a whole, I find the Jews to be a fascinating group considering thatbasically all the world as said hated us until recently and we have found a way to rise to power positions.

"...If statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one percent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of stardust lost in the blaze of theMilky way. properly, the Jew ought hardly to be heard of, but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people,and his commercial importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk. His contributions to the world's list of great names inliterature, science, art, music, finance, medicine, and abstruse learning are also away out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made amarvelous fight in this world, in all the ages; and had done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself, and be excused for it."

Originally Posted by FrankReynolds420

Because they are jews. Just like black people were hated because they were black. No logic. Just hate.

Your jewish? %%!!, douchbags like him are part of the reason.

^ thank you for posting your source of information but I still don't see where you got the whole 70 percent/30 percent statistics. There were VERY few jews in america at the time, so I just don;t understand what type of numbers we are talking about here.
Jacob Rader Marcus
"All through the eighteenth century, into the early nineteenth, Jews in the North were to own black servants; in the South, the few plantations owned by Jews were tilled with slave labor. In 1820, over 75 percent of all Jewish families in Charleston, Richmond, and Savannah owned slaves, employed as domestic servants; almost 40 percent of all Jewish householders in the United States owned one slave or more. There were no protests against slavery as such by Jews in the South, where they were always outnumbered at least 100 to 1....But very few Jews anywhere in the United States protested against chattel slavery on moral grounds."

Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995) was a scholar of Jewish history and a Reform rabbi. Born in New Haven, Pennsylvania, United States, into a traditional Jewish family, Marcus became interested in Reform Judaism at the age of 15. At that time, he travelled to Hebrew Union College (HUC), in Cincinnati, Ohio, to begin his rabbinical training. After a two-year interim during World War I, when he served in the American military, Marcus returned to graduate studies in Cincinnati. After receiving rabbinical ordination in 1920, Marcus was appointed to the faculy of HUC, where he began teaching biblical history. In 1922, Marcus travelled to Berlin to study Jewish history with Ismar Elbogen, who awarded Marcus a Ph.D. in 1925. In that year, Marcus married Antoinette Brody in Paris. After briefly studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1926, Marcus returned to Cincinnati, where he lectured at HUC consistently until 1995. In 1959, he was named the Adolph S. Ochs Professor of American Jewish History. In 1965, he was appointed to HUC's Milton and Hattie Kutz Distinguished Service Chair in American Jewish History. Marcus devoted most of his post-World War II historical career to American Jewish history and founded the American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati in 1947 on the campus of HUC. He is, perhaps, best known for his work on Medieval European Jewish history, The Jew in the Medieval World: A Source Book: 315-1791, first published in 1938.

you still don't understand the flaw of the numbers you posted? How many jews were in America in 1820? It even says jews were outnumbered 100-1 so that 70percent isn't very telling of anything.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

From my experiences this is partially true. Most Black people don't take the time to differentiate between nationalities, they just see white/black/asian/hispanic, etc.

Here in Europe I'm learning firsthand how Italians don't like French, Western Europeans don't like Eastern Europeans, Northern Italy doesn't like Southern Italians and etc. It's the craziest thing.

blacks and jews have a very sorted and confusing relationship, but they have a relationship. I do not know black people that don't differentiate betweenjews and whites, but I live in queens. Many jews marched side by side with backs for civil rights. That rabbi running over the black kid in brooklyn set usback many years. It's a shame.

Jacob Rader Marcus

you still don't understand the flaw of the numbers you posted? How many jews were in America in 1820? It even says jews were outnumbered 100-1 so that 70 percent isn't very telling of anything.

What flaw in the numbers?

Did I state any comparative numbers in terms of aggregate population or did I simply list a percentages recorded by a Jewish scholar only years removed fromthe institution of slavery?...

Back
Top Bottom