PAU GASOL TRADE TO THE LAKERS REVISITED

It was a gift. It definitely was. Just like KG was a gift to the Celtics. Yes, I'm a salty Bulls fan, even if getting Gasol the year before would've meant we probably don't get D. Rose.

Marc Gasol is nice, but he's an over rated double double guy. He's not carrying a team the way his brother can. Please put Pau on the grizzlies with a decent center, rudy gay, oj mayo and those other pieces. You know the Grizzlies are better than they are now.

laugh.gif
@ people still being salty

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

LA fans its okay guys just say y'all got Gasol gift wrap. No need to be on that humble tip

Three straight finals since the trade.
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

LA fans its okay guys just say y'all got Gasol gift wrap. No need to be on that humble tip

Three straight finals since the trade.
30t6p3b.gif

They traded Pau Gasol for a lottery ticket (Gasol), two guys that MIGHT be decent role players on a playoff team (Arthur and Greasy) and cap space...

The lottery ticket turned into a solid pay out but they're still not a playoff team and they soaked all their cap space into Zach Randolph...

So yeah, that trade still sucks.

They traded Pau Gasol for a lottery ticket (Gasol), two guys that MIGHT be decent role players on a playoff team (Arthur and Greasy) and cap space...

The lottery ticket turned into a solid pay out but they're still not a playoff team and they soaked all their cap space into Zach Randolph...

So yeah, that trade still sucks.

Originally Posted by kali4nikated

atrocious and horrible? can we say NaCl-ty 1more time. any1 remember kobe bryant for vlade divac? yall trippin over pau..in retrospect yall should pretty much jus off yourself over the kobe deal.

It's easy to look at the Kobe trade in retrospect. Nobody knew Kobe would be the player he is now. So it's not comparable to the Pau trade. The Pau trade was a robbery then and now.

Originally Posted by kali4nikated

atrocious and horrible? can we say NaCl-ty 1more time. any1 remember kobe bryant for vlade divac? yall trippin over pau..in retrospect yall should pretty much jus off yourself over the kobe deal.

It's easy to look at the Kobe trade in retrospect. Nobody knew Kobe would be the player he is now. So it's not comparable to the Pau trade. The Pau trade was a robbery then and now.

For LA it was a steal at the time.. but on the flip side could you imagine Pau with that group in Memphis right now!?! assuming all the contracts could work.. but with that said, being a Laker fan I couldn't be more happy!

For LA it was a steal at the time.. but on the flip side could you imagine Pau with that group in Memphis right now!?! assuming all the contracts could work.. but with that said, being a Laker fan I couldn't be more happy!

I'm not even a Laker fan, and it's still comedy to me how people are still mad. 

Pau was gonna walk on Memphis the second he became a unrestricted free agent.  They had to get something for him. 

I was in Times Square reading the ABC/ESPN ticker when it flashed.  It took me a minute to realize what just happened. 

I'm not even a Laker fan, and it's still comedy to me how people are still mad. 

Pau was gonna walk on Memphis the second he became a unrestricted free agent.  They had to get something for him. 

I was in Times Square reading the ABC/ESPN ticker when it flashed.  It took me a minute to realize what just happened. 

Originally Posted by mogzz04

He was never really a superstar type....granted, he led Memphis to a 50 win season and a playoff berth, but he never had the look of a #1 franchise type player before.

Hilarious how Gasol leading bad teams to 50 and 49 win seasons and three straight playoff berths wasn't enough for him to be regarded as a franchise player considering that all that certain future teammate of his was doing at the time was leading his teams to 42 and 45 win seasons and playoff berths, yet no one in the world was questioning his status as a franchise player.

Originally Posted by mogzz04

He was never really a superstar type....granted, he led Memphis to a 50 win season and a playoff berth, but he never had the look of a #1 franchise type player before.

Hilarious how Gasol leading bad teams to 50 and 49 win seasons and three straight playoff berths wasn't enough for him to be regarded as a franchise player considering that all that certain future teammate of his was doing at the time was leading his teams to 42 and 45 win seasons and playoff berths, yet no one in the world was questioning his status as a franchise player.

Not even taking into consideration what the trade meant to the Lakers just look at that numbers

Pau Gasol Memphis Stats in 6 3/4 seasons
 18.8 ppg
8.6 rebounds per game
51%- FG
1.81 blocks per game
Rookie of the Year,2006 NBA All Star

Marc Gasol
3 years in NBA
13.1 ppg
8.3 rebounds
1.3 blocks
55% FG
1.3 blocks per game

So the stats are not that far off....But one thing you have to remember, when the trade happened Marc Gasol was unsure if he even wanted to play in the NBA. He basically had no interest in playing for one of the top two franchises in basketball. Here is a a quote from him

"They probably wouldn't have won a championship without Pau," Marc said. "So the trade had to happen. The Lakers gave me a chance to play. I didn't know if I wanted to come to the NBA or not. It took me a year to decide that, and I ended up here in Memphis, a city that I love."

The other thing is he was pushing 300 lbs at the time. Very out of shape. So at the time the Lakers got a 7 foot  tall NBA All Star who was averaging 19 and 9 while shooting 51% for a guy who didn't want to play in the NBA and was probably 40-50lbs overweight....Good deal no?

Not even taking into consideration what the trade meant to the Lakers just look at that numbers

Pau Gasol Memphis Stats in 6 3/4 seasons
 18.8 ppg
8.6 rebounds per game
51%- FG
1.81 blocks per game
Rookie of the Year,2006 NBA All Star

Marc Gasol
3 years in NBA
13.1 ppg
8.3 rebounds
1.3 blocks
55% FG
1.3 blocks per game

So the stats are not that far off....But one thing you have to remember, when the trade happened Marc Gasol was unsure if he even wanted to play in the NBA. He basically had no interest in playing for one of the top two franchises in basketball. Here is a a quote from him

"They probably wouldn't have won a championship without Pau," Marc said. "So the trade had to happen. The Lakers gave me a chance to play. I didn't know if I wanted to come to the NBA or not. It took me a year to decide that, and I ended up here in Memphis, a city that I love."

The other thing is he was pushing 300 lbs at the time. Very out of shape. So at the time the Lakers got a 7 foot  tall NBA All Star who was averaging 19 and 9 while shooting 51% for a guy who didn't want to play in the NBA and was probably 40-50lbs overweight....Good deal no?

Originally Posted by VanillaFreak13

It was a gift. It definitely was. Just like KG was a gift to the Celtics. Yes, I'm a salty Bulls fan, even if getting Gasol the year before would've meant we probably don't get D. Rose.

Marc Gasol is nice, but he's an over rated double double guy. He's not carrying a team the way his brother can. Please put Pau on the grizzlies with a decent center, rudy gay, oj mayo and those other pieces. You know the Grizzlies are better than they are now.
You got that part right homie.

If that Pau trade didnt happen, Mayo wouldn't have been with Memphis, just a FYI.

And Marc Gasol overrated? Please explain. Aint nobody calling him a top 5 center right now. (correct me if im wrong of course, Memphis fans dont count, cough bhz).

If that Pau trade didnt happen, Mayo wouldn't have been with Memphis, just a FYI.

And Marc Gasol overrated? Please explain. Aint nobody calling him a top 5 center right now. (correct me if im wrong of course, Memphis fans dont count, cough bhz).

Originally Posted by BangDak

True true. I didn't say people were calling him a top 5 center, but he feasts off of defenses worrying about the Grizzlies perimeter game. Pau can create his own opportunities. I'm saying that people over rate him in terms of this trade when comparing him to the team he was on. Pau averaged 5 more pts and similar numbers without the team around him that Marc has. Marc stats are elevated due to the team around him whereas I feel Pau would've made the guys around him better.

Originally Posted by BangDak

True true. I didn't say people were calling him a top 5 center, but he feasts off of defenses worrying about the Grizzlies perimeter game. Pau can create his own opportunities. I'm saying that people over rate him in terms of this trade when comparing him to the team he was on. Pau averaged 5 more pts and similar numbers without the team around him that Marc has. Marc stats are elevated due to the team around him whereas I feel Pau would've made the guys around him better.

This is absolutely ******ed.  You cant take the current Grizz roster and replace Marc with Pau.  The Grizz likely dont have Gay, Mayo OR Randolph right now if the trade isnt made.  How you can admit that the Bulls wouldnt have Rose if they got Gasol, yet you think the Grizz would still have all the pieces they do if they dont make the trade, is absolutely baffling.  

This is absolutely ******ed.  You cant take the current Grizz roster and replace Marc with Pau.  The Grizz likely dont have Gay, Mayo OR Randolph right now if the trade isnt made.  How you can admit that the Bulls wouldnt have Rose if they got Gasol, yet you think the Grizz would still have all the pieces they do if they dont make the trade, is absolutely baffling.  

Originally Posted by MzD650

You completely missed what he was trying to say
grin.gif

Originally Posted by MzD650

You completely missed what he was trying to say
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom