Peter Rosenberg speaks on the "Rick Ross Era"

Originally Posted by tyisny

I kind of understand where your coming from but i can't agree with that. Blogs and the streets aren't all that counts because if that was the case Lil B, and and the other slew of blog artist would be running rap.
I didn't say its all that matters but its a huge factor. IMO, blogs and the streets are a better representation of what's hot in rap than the billboard 100. A prime example is Flo Rida having a string of #1 hits but selling 100,000 albums while J. Cole and Rick Ross don't have nearly as many hit singles but can go gold. Those blogs are a bigger reason why J. Cole went gold than radio.
The fact of the matter is Yes billboard and charts do matter when discussing who's hot because a MAJORITY of hip hop fans aren't on blogs or at their local bootlegger on a weekly basis. So you can't say someone is the hottest in the game and anoint them a artist that album release will stop hip hop, then only limit that to a small fraction of the hiphop demographic.

I think you are underestimating social media and the streets when it comes an artists popularity. In 2012, its a much bigger fraction than you are letting on.

And to mention 50 is ridiculous because for as much subpar music he's dropped as of late, the Era of Dominance he had on hip-hop is rivaled by few and when he was doing it, it was at the height of his music career. 50 was selling 10 million, but there wasn't one Hood in the world that wasn't stopping to hear new G-unit/ 50 from 2002-2006.

I don't discredit 50's popularity at one point. My point was he was popular because it was cool to like him. He was a fad. You can disagree if you want but in 2012, 50 and his record label musically are irrelevant. They were a fad. Guys like Kanye don't need a hit on the charts to be successful because they are popular because of their music and their credibility as musicians as opposed to 50 who was more product of being a fad and a gimmick.

That is what you define as an era of dominance "He dominated popular radio, He dominated the hood, and there was literally no publication or media outlet that didn't recognize 50 Cent and his story"... Ross will never come close to being as hot as 50 was in any arena the Streets or the mainstream

This may be true however some of the above can be said about Rawse on a smaller scale. He's been on magazines. He's been on publications like Billboard Magazine. You listen to the radio and the song is either going to be a Rawse song or a song featuring him and his adlibs. He's performed at award shows. He's been in a Nike commercial. I for one second wasn't comparing Rawse's dominance on hip hop to Fif's. It doesn't compare. However, as far as hip hop goes who's doing it better? Like I said above, appreciate Rawse because autotune hashtag rap is the future of mainstream hip hop.

"autotune hashtag rap is the future of mainstream hip hop."

frown.gif
30t6p3b.gif
^@
Thanks fans of YM.

The fact that the Ross/Jeezy argument is still going on makes it obvious. As much bias I have for Jeezy I can't deny that right now Ross is a better spitter (haven't listened to TM103 but the Real is Back is not Trap or Die 2 material). But right now Jeezy is eating up dude's radio play and spot on the charts, "You the Boss" is doing okay but Nicki is on that. Rich Forever is doing well but when the Real is Back came out the buzz was similar. They both got they're album pushed back

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Its real $#* he's speaking. People don't want to admit it. People don't want to hear it. But fact is, Rawse as a rapper is the last of a dying breed. Peter Rosenberg called it "hashtag rap". That's the new era of rappers. Rawse isn't a great lyricist. But he rarely embarasses himself on the mic. He's hung with credible rappers.

We as hip hop fans ask for consistency. We ask for growth. We ask for decent music. We want free music. There aren't many artists out there who can give fickle hip hop fans what they ask for time and time again but Rawse comes the closest. He's getting better by the album and his ear for production is one of the best in the rap game.

There aren't too many mainstream artists out there that is actually doing what Rawse is doing. People may not appreciate him now but you will some years down the road.

He's one of the best rappers in the game. Best lyricist? Far from it. But he's definitely one of the best rappers who's consistently dropping material and feeding fans.
But you're basically saying it's quantity>quality when it comes to Ross. That constitutes having your own era? You keep saying he isn't a great lyricist. We are talking about RAP music here. Lyrics should count for something shouldn't they?
Oh no I agree that lyrics should count for something. I believe Rawse is a good rapper. He's not a lyricist. Not the same rapper but I compare it to Pac. Pac ran the 90's. You can debate which exact years he ran but fact is he had his turn in the mid 90's and he was never the best lyricist. Not by a long shot. But can you tell me you didn't feel his impact? Snoop as well. When I think of the hottest rapper I factor in a lot more than I do than just being a good lyricist. You don't have to be the best lyricist. I need you to drop quality material and as well as have a impact. Say what you want about Rawse but since Deeper than Rap hip hop fans take notice to a Rawse album. The rap game stops for Rawse. To compare his release with Jeezy's did the rap game really stop for Jeezy's album? We sort of just let it release and went on with our lives.
Ear for production is always his standout feature. That makes him a great A+R more than a rapper. One thing I will never discredit is Ross' business acumen. As a marketer, label head etc.
I agree to an extent. I feel as a good rapper you need that ear for production and this is a facet of a rapper that we take for granted. I can't help but think what kind of career Nas would have right now if he had Jay's ear for production. I'm probably in the minority but when it comes to Nas he doesn't have many weaknesses but if there's one its his ear for production. Now you could blame that on his a&r but he's had this problem wtih more than one a&r throughout his career.

But he's still living in Jay's era if an era has to belong to someone. All music now is free if you want it to be. I don't think Ross wanted to put out Rich Forever as a free mixtape. His label didn't accept it as an album.
I've heard that but I can't accept that Rawse was going to drop this as a album. I've followed Rawse's whole career and if i'm judging what he's done on Teflon Don and Deeper than Rap? This mixtape doesn't sound like a Rawse album. Granted, some of it does sound like it was intended for his album. But if I had to put a percentage on it i'd say about 35-40% was intended for GFID. A lot of songs sounded like filler for the mixtape.

Jay is my favorite rapper of all time. There's no denying his greatness and impact on hip hop. He's paved the way for a lot of cats including Rawse. But Jay has outgrown hip hop. His popularity or impact is far greater than just one genre. He's apart of music. So I can't sit here and say this is "Jay's era". Jay has lost touch with hip hop and its been that way since The Black Album.

Consistency, growth, decent music. I think a decent amount of rappers fit into this category. Jay, Kanye, Wayne (like him or not, when he's not in jail), Drake, TIP (when not in jail). That's just off the top. If the integrity and quality of their music exceeds the quantity, I'll still stick with them.
I would I agree if this were 2009. But these past 2 or 3 years? Its been Rick Ross. We're all hip hop fans here. Let's be honest. When is the last time we said Jay, Kanye, Wayne, Drake or TIP have dropped a good album? In regards to Drake he does far too much singing to be considered a rapper and he's lost touch with hip hop since his So Far Gone tape. With TIP, Jay, Kanye and Wayne these guys music-wise are either stagnant or simply declining in quality of music they are putting out. Rawse isn't. He's getting better and in a world where autotune rap and "hashtag" rap has become the norm and accepted, Rawse and his camp are consistently dropping quality material and doing their best to remind us of what rap was. Like I said above, it might not be appreciated now but down the road when hip hop has become flooded with cats rapping in autotune and doing hashtag metaphors it will be. Rawse is the last of a dying breed.

You're in here riding hard for Ross. So clearly you're a fan. I have made it clear I am not. So the truth is likely to lie somewhere in between our respective opinions. This whole "the rap game stops" (an artists fans will do that for every anticipated project), "last of a dying breed", "will be appreciated down the road" just makes the impact of this man and his music so much greater than the reality of it in my opinion.

How does the rap game stop for Ross but not Jeezy.....but Jeezy sells more records? This is a classic example of perception vs. reality. Your perception is the rap game stops. Because blogs get hyped? Of course they do. Ross does a video every day. You can say sales don't matter all you want. But it doesn't say anything when people stop and look for one, vs. stop and cop for the other? That doesn't say something about the respective power of each artist? Teflon Don, released in 2010, has done 700,000 units. TM103, released in December is at 543,000 units. Deeper Than Rap hasn't even gone Gold.

So Ross is really a singles driven artist.

You "can't accept" that Rich Forever is a failed album?

It's not Jay's era because he's bigger than Hip Hop now? That's exactly what makes it his era. He's still a rapper. Sold out tours. No singing. No broadway shows. No acting. And that somehow lessens his impact on Hip Hop or the idea that this is his, or maybe even Kanye's (for better or worse) era?

Tip, Jay, Kanye, Wayne are stagnant musically? But they are stagnant at the TOP of the game. Where else do you go? Wayne (for better or worse) actually stepped outside the box with "How To Love" and "Mirror". Ross hasn't really changed much artistically/musically. To me his music isn't getting better. It's about the same. "Push It" and "Blow" are just as good as any of his newer material, if not BETTER.

I think this all just points to Ross being a master marketer. He does A LOT of what he does with smoke and mirrors. So the perception and the reality don't always line up.

You're in here riding hard for Ross. So clearly you're a fan. I have made it clear I am not. So the truth is likely to lie somewhere in between our respective opinions. This whole "the rap game stops" (an artists fans will do that for every anticipated project), "last of a dying breed", "will be appreciated down the road" just makes the impact of this man and his music so much greater than the reality of it in my opinion.

How does the rap game stop for Ross but not Jeezy.....but Jeezy sells more records? This is a classic example of perception vs. reality. Your perception is the rap game stops. Because blogs get hyped? Of course they do. Ross does a video every day. You can say sales don't matter all you want. But it doesn't say anything when people stop and look for one, vs. stop and cop for the other? That doesn't say something about the respective power of each artist? Teflon Don, released in 2010, has done 700,000 units. TM103, released in December is at 543,000 units. Deeper Than Rap hasn't even gone Gold.

So Ross is really a singles driven artist.

You "can't accept" that Rich Forever is a failed album?

It's not Jay's era because he's bigger than Hip Hop now? That's exactly what makes it his era. He's still a rapper. Sold out tours. No singing. No broadway shows. No acting. And that somehow lessens his impact on Hip Hop or the idea that this is his, or maybe even Kanye's (for better or worse) era?

Tip, Jay, Kanye, Wayne are stagnant musically? But they are stagnant at the TOP of the game. Where else do you go? Wayne (for better or worse) actually stepped outside the box with "How To Love" and "Mirror". Ross hasn't really changed much artistically/musically. To me his music isn't getting better. It's about the same. "Push It" and "Blow" are just as good as any of his newer material, if not BETTER.

I think this all just points to Ross being a master marketer. He does A LOT of what he does with smoke and mirrors. So the perception and the reality don't always line up.

pimp.gif

LOL @ the rap game stopping for Ross when his last two singles didn't even impact the charts like they predicted.

Don't let the internet and WSHH vids fool you.

^^Exactly son some of ya'll dudes need to take a step from yall computer & look at the real world...ROSS would be a great magician cause he got ya'll fooled..Rich Forever DID NOT change hiphop so please stop the foolish talk some of ya'll take ROSS to far.. RICH FOREVER was hot in the streets for the 1st 2 weeks then everybody got back to TM:103..JEEZY moving 10000 units per week & at that rate he WILL be platinum by year end...ROSS on the other hand doesn't have a release date & its April...smdh I think its funny whats happening to ROSS cause all the Negativity he created to try to kill JEEZY career he slowly killing his own...JEEZY on tour getting paid & is on the Charts while ROSS is walking around paying cats like Rosenberg,Timbaland & Pharell to co-sign him & still has no release date..ROSS don't have a hardcore following like JEEZY so ROSS will forever lose in the ROSS vs. JEEZY battle..

William really got cats believing he's the biggest artist in the game because he keeps telling u he is. This dude has zero platinum albums ever, his album's been getting pushed back for a year, he just came from getting sued by a real OG because he don't want William using his name because he's a fraud just put out 2 singles that flopped and yet its "his era" dudes can't see thru the smoke nd mirrors William has done a great job of marketing but #1 in the game he is not nor will he be.

I can't stand dude but honestly if its anyones era I'd give it to Aubrey before William.

but Rick Ross got a mixtape joint getting major radio play with Stay Schemin, i doubt it because Drake & French Montana is on it

Originally Posted by Tha Flashy One

but Rick Ross got a mixtape joint getting major radio play with Stay Schemin, i doubt it because Drake & French Montana is on it
Wut?

Having a song on the radio don't mean you have an era. Drake has like 5 on the radio right now and I'm sure him being on this one doesn't hurt at all.

Like homie above said, if it's anyone's era, it's Drake's. Or YM in general. And I don't even +%*# with they music like that.

Major Radio play? It hit the Urban Radio chart this week and that's the only place it's charting. Hot 97 NY is definitely hitting it hard. French on it don't hurt at all in NY.

Def Jam is pushing it. Think they did the same thing with BMF which I believe started on a mixtape.

Originally Posted by BradNSU

^^Exactly son some of ya'll dudes need to take a step from yall computer & look at the real world...ROSS would be a great magician cause he got ya'll fooled..Rich Forever DID NOT change hiphop so please stop the foolish talk some of ya'll take ROSS to far.. RICH FOREVER was hot in the streets for the 1st 2 weeks then everybody got back to TM:103..JEEZY moving 10000 units per week & at that rate he WILL be platinum by year end...ROSS on the other hand doesn't have a release date & its April...smdh I think its funny whats happening to ROSS cause all the Negativity he created to try to kill JEEZY career he slowly killing his own...JEEZY on tour getting paid & is on the Charts while ROSS is walking around paying cats like Rosenberg,Timbaland & Pharell to co-sign him & still has no release date..ROSS don't have a hardcore following like JEEZY so ROSS will forever lose in the ROSS vs. JEEZY battle..

Dude really said he's paying dudes to co-sign him
laugh.gif

Wut?

Having a song on the radio don't mean you have an era. Drake has like 5 on the radio right now and I'm sure him being on this one doesn't hurt at all.

Like homie above said, if it's anyone's era, it's Drake's. Or YM in general. And I don't even +%*# with they music like that.

Major Radio play? It hit the Urban Radio chart this week and that's the only place it's charting. Hot 97 NY is definitely hitting it hard. French on it don't hurt at all in NY.

Def Jam is pushing it. Think they did the same thing with BMF which I believe started on a mixtape.
Wait did he just say "Stay Schemin" getting radio play has nothing to do with Drake? 
laugh.gif

Deeeelusional 

Ross has no release date and no anticipation in sight, and dudes really think this is his era........LOL.

I have no idea why you would doubt that.

Wut?

i'm not saying he has an Era because of Stay Schemin, i'm saying is that record is being pushed like it's an album single. Drake's presence has a part of this record being played on the radio, plus French Montana is on the come up and Diddy probably want more exposure on his artist.

Ross had the most forgettable verse on that song. Joey>Joelle>Drake>Common>French>Ross

Plus its French's song, nobody on Earth recognizes that as being Ross's joint (pause)

^^^I actually didn't realize how short Ross & French's verses were until I looked at the lyrics
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom