Philadelphia Eagles '12 Official Thread 4-10 *Farewell Andy Reid

Anyone know what's up with Nnamdi? I'm beginning to get a bit discouraged by his play (this is stemming from last season as well, he didn't play up to my expectations). Regardless of the situation, preseason or not, I should not see him get beat by any of the Browns' mediocre WRs. Is it just the scheme that Castillo has installed or?

Anyone know what's up with Nnamdi? I'm beginning to get a bit discouraged by his play (this is stemming from last season as well, he didn't play up to my expectations). Regardless of the situation, preseason or not, I should not see him get beat by any of the Browns' mediocre WRs. Is it just the scheme that Castillo has installed or?
Was just discussing this couple days ago with a friend. We tried to justify his poor first season in Philly as a transitioning period to gain a higher comfort level with the city (area) and Castillo's scheme. I think Nnamdi has honestly lost a step since Oakland. Used to be able to argue he was the best lock-down in the corner in the league, even over Revis and Champ. Now he's lucky to sniff #3 overall corner in the NFL. Getting flagged for a lot of penalties as well (Ex. Arizona game, difficult to watch).

Was just discussing this couple days ago with a friend. We tried to justify his poor first season in Philly as a transitioning period to gain a higher comfort level with the city (area) and Castillo's scheme. I think Nnamdi has honestly lost a step since Oakland. Used to be able to argue he was the best lock-down in the corner in the league, even over Revis and Champ. Now he's lucky to sniff #3 overall corner in the NFL. Getting flagged for a lot of penalties as well (Ex. Arizona game, difficult to watch).
I agree for the most part, but I also blame it a lot on Castillo whom I don't trust at all. Too many times I see Nnamdi chilling in zone when that's not necessarily his strength. Like you said, that Arizona game :x , how Castillo didn't put Nnamdi on Fitz :x :x :x .

On the bright side, DRC is playing pretty well. I hope we sign him to a long term deal.

I agree for the most part, but I also blame it a lot on Castillo whom I don't trust at all. Too many times I see Nnamdi chilling in zone when that's not necessarily his strength. Like you said, that Arizona game :x , how Castillo didn't put Nnamdi on Fitz :x :x :x .
On the bright side, DRC is playing pretty well. I hope we sign him to a long term deal.
DRC was out of position and comfort defending and covering the slot last year. This season he's in his natural place and performing significantly better in camp and preseason. Do wish we managed to wrangle PP from Arizona instead, but Eagles still won clearly in the Kolb trade.

I'm with you on Castillo. Andy has been overly loyal, if that's even possible in the NFL. Spags was our guy to be DC. Knows the Giants and has ties to the Philly organization. I know the conflict was between Spags and Washburn working together, but I'd honestly part with Washburn as great of a D-line guru as he is to secure Spags long-term to man the defense.

need to start checking in more now that the season is close to being upon us

I would not be shocked if the Eagles cut Demeco Ryans; he looks terrible; I LOVE Kendricks; he is going to end up as your MLB at some point. I am going to guess they keep Lewis and Brown and move Polk to FB just to keep them all on the roster. Brown looks like he could be one of those players who can become a legit featured back in this league but we all know he has the talent.

Looking at tickets with a buddy for either the Lions or Falcons games. Trying for Eagles sideline near the 35, five to fifteen rows back. Getting about $200-plus at the moment.

Looking at tickets with a buddy for either the Lions or Falcons games. Trying for Eagles sideline near the 35, five to fifteen rows back. Getting about $200-plus at the moment.
What site are you looking to get your tickets? I'm trying to go to the Falcons game, I even checked the Pepsi zone, and those ticket prices are :x

What site are you looking to get your tickets? I'm trying to go to the Falcons game, I even checked the Pepsi zone, and those ticket prices are :x
Mostly Stub Hub. My buddy seems to have good resources on the Internet, he keeps finding relatively good deals that are legitimate. Prices are going up as the season nears. We're trying to decide soon on Lions or Falcons based on price and best seating.

I need to order my Shady jersey, already have his Pitt one now I just need to get the Eagles #25....I can't wait to see how he performs this year although losing Peters hurts big time. I really think the offense is gonna be explosive with Djax having his head on straight, and Maclin healthy now.

I've been very impressed with Kendricks too and he's shown he can make plays

It's SuperBowl or bust for us, and I they have the talent to do it...just have to play smart and not make as many bonehead mistakes as last year

Last edited:
I need to order my Shady jersey, already have his Pitt one now I just need to get the Eagles #25....I can't wait to see how he performs this year although losing Peters hurts big time. I really think the offense is gonna be explosive with Djax having his head on straight, and Maclin healthy now.

I've been very impressed with Kendricks too and he's shown he can make plays

It's SuperBowl or bust for us, and I they have the talent to do it...just have to play smart and not make as many bonehead mistakes as last year
I hope we stop making dumb mistakes, especially on defense. From what I saw this pre-season, the defense commits a lot of dumb penalties.

Nike is really slacking on getting the Elite authentics out for the Eagles...ridic :smh:

Bryce Brown looks like he could be a legit star

I hope we keep Edwards and send Kafka packing

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

Wow, first semi-big surprise for the Eagles: I'm told the #Eagles are expected to release veteran CB Joselio Hanson.

Nike is really slacking on getting the Elite authentics out for the Eagles...ridic
mean.gif

Bryce Brown looks like he could be a legit star
I hope we keep Edwards and send Kafka packing
mean.gif
 At Nike man... I called and they told me to just keep checking for updates because they have no specific date or time for release.  Its less than a week away from the start of the season and I can't order an authentic?? Terrible

What do you think our chances are of signing Kellen Winslow? Celek and Winslow :nthat: . I'm not too high on Harbor.
I actually like Clay Harbor as backup TE. Played well against the Pats as a bonus. K2 wouldn't hurt for a mild price, I suppose.

"I'm a soldier!"

I like Brackett; I got to see him a lot because I am a Penn State alum and fan...I feel like he was hindered by having crappy QB's in college but could be a decent #2 TE in the NFL

wish the Eagles kept him bc it looks like the Jags claimed him

I like Brackett; I got to see him a lot because I am a Penn State alum and fan...I feel like he was hindered by having crappy QB's in college but could be a decent #2 TE in the NFL
wish the Eagles kept him bc it looks like the Jags claimed him
man cuts were really tough for us.. we had to let alot of good guys go.. and we might still end up making some trades, since there is no way i see us keeping 4 RBs all year.. also not sure tapp stays all year even with him taking less money

What do you think our chances are of signing Kellen Winslow? Celek and Winslow
nthat.gif
. I'm not too high on Harbor.
I actually like Clay Harbor as backup TE. Played well against the Pats as a bonus. K2 wouldn't hurt for a mild price, I suppose.

"I'm a soldier!"
The Eagles don't need a character like Kellen Winslow in the locker room.

Last edited:
^ pretty much.. with all the youth on this team we definitely dont need someone like K2 in that locker room

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-p...nslates-to-Super-Bo?blockID=766873&feedID=692

[h1]Eagles hope youth translates to Super Bowl[/h1]September 2, 2012, 11:10 am

28 COMMENTS

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]
Recommend_Icon_Up.png
[/td][td]
Recommend
[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]
FB_up.png
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]
Twitter
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]
Email
[/td][/tr][/table]

frank_complete.png

Honestly? It’s not all that far removed from a college football roster.

Ten guys are 21 or 22. Another 26 are between 23 and 26. And 12 more are in their late 20s.

If it wasn’t totally clear before, it is now. The Eagles believe the way to win a Super Bowl is with youth and with energy. With fresh legs and with tons of upside.

Asante Samuel is out, Curtis Marsh is in. Juqua Parker is out, Phillip Hunt is in. Joselio Hanson is out, Brandon Boykin is in. Jamaal Jackson is out, Nick Menkin is in. Ronnie Brown is out, Bryce Brown is in. Vince Young is out, Nick Foles is in. Winston Justice is out, Dennis Kelly is in.

Everywhere they possibly could, the Eagles went young. Everywhere they possibly could, they shed veterans and added some young kid with blazing speed and tons of potential.

Add it up, and this is the youngest Eagles team in 26 years.

The final 53-man roster – assuming this is the final 53-man roster – averages 25.5 years old, and according to some terrific research by bloggingthebeast.com, that gives them the second-youngest opening-day roster in the NFL, behind only the Rams, who check in at 25.3.

According to figures on www.pro-football-reference.com, this is also the youngest Eagles team since 1986, Buddy Ryan’s first year here, when Clyde and Seth were 22, Randall was 23 and Reggie was 25.

This is the culmination of a complete roster overhaul under general manager Howie Roseman that has seen the average age of the roster decrease every year since he became general manager – from 26.9 in 2009 to 26.3 in 2010 to 26.0 last year to 25.5 this year. That’s a pretty significant drop each year since he took over.

That kind of roster transformation doesn’t just happen. It’s the product of a very clear, very intentional philosophy. Roseman and head coach Andy Reid wanted a certain kind of football player here, a certain kind of football team, and they have it.

Look at the current roster, and there are only 13 guys who have been here since before 2010 (and that counts Jason Babin, who left after 2009 and returned last year).

There are only six guys in their 30s (Evan Mathis is 30, Nnamdi Asomugha and Cullen Jenkins 31, Babin, Jon Dorenbos and Michael Vick 32), which is the Eagles’ fewest 30-somethings since that same 1986 season, when Buddy kept only five guys in their 30s around (Kenny Clarke, Matt Cavanaugh, Brenard Wilson, Ron Baker, Ron Jaworski).

And get this: The oldest non-starter on the roster -- not including long-snapper Jon Dorenbos or third receiver Jason Avant, who plays almost as much as a starter – is 28-year-old Dallas Reynolds, who has never played in an NFL game.

That means to make the Eagles in 2012 you had to either be in your mid-20s or younger or be an established elite starter, like Todd Herremans, Jenkins, Trent Cole or Babin.

So what does it all mean?

It means that in a season in which owner Jeff Lurie has already threatened to fire head coach Andy Reid if the team doesn’t perform “significantly better” than last year’s 8-8 disaster, Reid and Roseman are staking their jobs on a bunch of kids who were in elementary school when Reid and Roseman joined the Eagles in the late 1990s.

It’s an exciting way to play football. It’s also one heck of a risk.

Young is good in a lot of ways. These kids have so much energy, so much enthusiasm, so much hunger, you can feel it around the building. Young guys are generally healthier, generally faster, generally stronger and generally excel on special teams.

But along with all that speed and youth and energy comes inexperience.

Boykin will man the slot without ever playing an NFL snap. Three of the four backup offensive linemen have never set foot on a football field in the regular season (and the fourth is Demetress Bell). No. 3 outside corner Curtis Marsh has played a grand total of 12 defensive plays in his life. Mychal Kendricks starts at a crucial outside linebacker spot as a rookie. And rookie Nick Foles is one Michael Vick injury away from joining Randall Cunningham and Donovan McNabb as one of the franchise’s three youngest quarterbacks to start a game in the last 35 years.

All the stuff you always hear about how long it takes for a team to develop chemistry and to come together and to grow into a cohesive unit … there isn’t time for that. The Eagles must win and win now. And they’re going to have to do it with a roster jammed with kids who were in high school the last time the Eagles won a home playoff game.

This offseason was all about shedding aging veterans, many of whom can still play, and replacing them with kids with tremendous athleticism, unparalleled energy and huge upside.

Can it work? Can a team win a Super Bowl when the average player on the roster is 25 ½ years old? The last team to do it was the 1981 49ers, who averaged 25.4 years old on opening day. That was 31 years ago.

The Eagles have tried every other way to win and still no sign of a Lombardi Trophy in the lobby of the NovaCare Complex.

So maybe trying to get there with youth and speed is the answer. Maybe trying to simply out-sprint everybody else to the Super Bowl will work. Nothing else has.

Nike is really pissing me off; how can you take over an NFL license and NOT have authentics ready to go for the season

6 days away an no one has them yet

Back
Top Bottom