Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

Originally Posted by kidslikekix

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by scarru

I've sprained my ankles in all cuts of shoes and honestly agree that rolling your ankles has nothing to do with the cut of the shoe and more with the lockdown for sure

Exactly. People have been playing in lowcut basketball shoes for years, it just took Kobe to make it "cool" and "functional" in many peoples eyes. I'm not mad at it at all. I still wanna try out some XX3 lows for ball.

Amazing how Nike can take such an awesome shoe like the Hyperdunk and turn it into such a dissapointment in the Rize. Tons of people are satisfied, but i've seen a lot more people complain about them in comparison to the Hyperdunk last year too.
Sorry my man but you are wrong on the Kobe making lowcuts "cool" to wear.  It was GILBERT ARENAS that started the trend with the Gil-ZEROS, not Kobe. 
If anyone of you guys know about biomechanics, you would know, ANY shoe that puts the heel higher up than the toes of the foot creates an unstable ankle. Period.  Because the Talus bone is moved a few degrees out of the socket making the ankle unstable.  Why do you think martial arts are mainly done barefoot?  Balance and stability. Even the martial arts shoes have a heel lift of only about 3 mm.  In basketball it is 10mm.  In running it is 12mm.  And this is 10mm higher than the toes.  This is 12mm higher than the toes.  So normally the forefoot of shoes are 10mm off the ground, so the heel of the shoe will be 20mm off the ground.  The higher the heel, the more unstable the ankle.  Ankles are NEVER sprained in neutral position.  It happens in Plantar flextion (when you point your toes - heel higher than your toes).  Now along with the higher heel, upper materials and the such also play a part.  
Weight doesn't.

Peace.
Gil may have worn lows, but to say he "made them cool" is nowhere near fact. He wore them, but there was never as big a push to market them like the Kobe's because that was not adidas campaign that year. Very few people outside of hardcore players knew he even wore low-tops, or even what player the shoes were for. The ankle insurance ads last year really started the phase I have been preaching for a few years: shoe height will NOT prevent ankle rolls, stable heel and forefoot fit will. That said, these shoes have terrible stability, no torsional rigidity, and the heel is made to "crash" compress in such a way that the foot is uneven on landing, with no support or device to assist the foot in returning to it's original position. I for one am glad someone with way more authority and knowledge than 95% of the people on this board have has stood up and said no to the hyped-up "performance" shoes Nike feeds us as the next "lightest, greatest" model. Kobe V, great, Hyperize, "turrrrible".

Alot of you guys must just have some bad luck or soft ankles.

In the leagues I play in, damn near everyone wears these. Not injuries either. Me and my brother have been playing in them for a few months now and they feel great.

No matter what shoe you are wearing, if you fall on someones foot, you are going to sprain your ankle period. Its best to just wear ankle braces. For serious ballers (leagues, school, etc) then taping obviously would help. No one is going to be taping up their ankles for pickup games.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes or low-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashed by Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them. The Hyper series are like paper, so flimsy. Like why even have that upper material there to begin with? To me it's just like wearing an extra sock; nothing there for support. Call me old school, but this new Nike lightweight stuff is JUNK. I used to get taped in HS & college (I have weak ankles) as an alternative to ankle braces because I hate that bulky support. I don't like that "locked down" feeling tape and braces give you. With that being said, I would never subject myself to a higher chance of injury by wearing these fold-able Hyper joints.

Didn't one of AI's shoes bend and was a horrible shoe?  I've never tried the AI shoes or Hyper shoes because it's not my type of shoe, but it seems like it can't be that great if its like that.

i think people tend to confuse stability with ankle support. While stability does play a huge part in preventing rolled ankles when moving laterally for e.g., ankle support is in my opinion, more than that. For example, if I were to land on someone's foot coming down from a rebound, and my foot lands awkwardly at say, a 30deg angle, my ankles may be saved by the AJ XII, but not the Kobe V. In that sense, I think that ankle support includes a higher threshold at which a player can land on another's foot without spraining his ankle.

However, that being said, when moving laterally, stability is the top factor of course, and the Kobe V may be able to match its higher cut peers in that sense.

In my opinion, a higher cut does tend to protect one's ankles, BUT only if the higher cut serves a purpose. Take the Kobe II and Hyperdunks for example. Both are relatively high cut, but I've no doubt in my mind that the risk of spraining my ankle from landing on a person's foot is higher in the HD than the Kobe IIs. The cut of the IIs is reinforced by the beefy material used to surround the ankle, and the TPU thingy.

To conclude, it is not wrong to say that stability leads to good ankle support, but there is a lot more science behind ankle support than heel fit alone. Ever noticed how before the Kobe IVs, reviews on various sites like KO tend to put N.A for ankle support for low cut shoes like the Lebron II lows? Suddenly, since the Kobe IVs, shoes such as the Kobe Vs get a 4.5/5 rating. Arguably, the Lebron II lows are equally stable (once broken in).

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

In the leagues I play in, damn near everyone wears these. Not injuries either. Me and my brother have been playing in them for a few months now and they feel great.

No matter what shoe you are wearing, if you fall on someones foot, you are going to sprain your ankle period. Its best to just wear ankle braces. For serious ballers (leagues, school, etc) then taping obviously would help. No one is going to be taping up their ankles for pickup games.
laugh.gif

Soft ankles? I think you just have a soft game. These shoes are trash.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Shoes are trash? You must be one of those who uses that as an excuse for having a weak game.

Real players can honestly play in any decent basketball shoe, and dont complain.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Shoes are trash? You must be one of those who uses that as an excuse for having a weak game.

Real players can honestly play in any decent basketball shoe, and dont complain.

QFT

i wear my hyperize to ball..IMO its a great shoe. because of that, i just bought another one yesterday..
never had a problem or injuries in them, hopefully never..

but its just me
smile.gif

Originally Posted by blackwood hardtop

i think people tend to confuse stability with ankle support. While stability does play a huge part in preventing rolled ankles when moving laterally for e.g., ankle support is in my opinion, more than that. For example, if I were to land on someone's foot coming down from a rebound, and my foot lands awkwardly at say, a 30deg angle, my ankles may be saved by the AJ XII, but not the Kobe V. In that sense, I think that ankle support includes a higher threshold at which a player can land on another's foot without spraining his ankle.

However, that being said, when moving laterally, stability is the top factor of course, and the Kobe V may be able to match its higher cut peers in that sense.

In my opinion, a higher cut does tend to protect one's ankles, BUT only if the higher cut serves a purpose. Take the Kobe II and Hyperdunks for example. Both are relatively high cut, but I've no doubt in my mind that the risk of spraining my ankle from landing on a person's foot is higher in the HD than the Kobe IIs. The cut of the IIs is reinforced by the beefy material used to surround the ankle, and the TPU thingy.

To conclude, it is not wrong to say that stability leads to good ankle support, but there is a lot more science behind ankle support than heel fit alone. Ever noticed how before the Kobe IVs, reviews on various sites like KO tend to put N.A for ankle support for low cut shoes like the Lebron II lows? Suddenly, since the Kobe IVs, shoes such as the Kobe Vs get a 4.5/5 rating. Arguably, the Lebron II lows are equally stable (once broken in).

I sprained my ankle yesterday wearing high cut shoes. First time I've ROLLED it since my big injury in 2008... and what have I been wearing since? Low cuts... what does that say? I've stepped on people's shoes all the time in my kobe's/low cuts and I'm fine. I stepped on someone's shoe yesterday in a high top and my ankle rolled. And the only reason why I wore a high top yesterday was because I was playing outdoor and I don't wear my indoor shoes outside.

Therefore, I'm gonna say that the lower to the ground the shoe is, the less chance of you rolling your ankle. If you were shox for instance, you're pretty high off the ground = bad. With the Kobe's, you're pertty much touching the ground, so it's harder to roll your ankle. That's how I see it, and have yet to roll my ankle in a low top.

Oh I definitely agree with you there. The lower the shoe is to the ground, the lesser the chance of rolling it. However, I think that only applies when referring to lateral movements. In terms of landing on another's foot, I feel that a high top shoe may prevent sprains only if the higher cut is reinforced with materials, i.e serves a purpose instead of just being there for the sake of coverage, which is why i referred to the XIIs and the Kobe Vs. My view is that if i were to land on another's foot at a certain angle, the XIIs may prevent or mitigate the sprain, whereas the Vs may not 'catch' my ankle and allow it to compensate for the awkward landing.

I decided to try it for myself.....and yes, my knees were more tired and sore than with my other shoes (air force max) so for me, it doesn't offer the correct support but every person is built differently and play differently.

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

what trend?

bibby been wearing low tops for years.

anyways

hyperizers are g money. still ball in em
I stand corrected!  You are right man!  The fact is...  you want the best ankle protection ... keep the heel on the same level as the toes.  Here is another hint ... ever had your ankles taped?  They are ALWAYS taped in neutral position.  ALWAYS.  
Peace.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

They aren't decent shoes. They're TRASH, like I said.

It's an opinion.... there are a billion people that play in lows or shoes with little ankle support that don't roll their ankles. I think it is a little ridiculous that the trainer can ban a shoe. I used to play at Tenn. and they give us multiple shoes lows, mids, highs so you can play in what you feel comfortable and stable in because everyone has their preference. Some people hate certain shoes, some love them.
I've rolled my ankle in Kobe V's and Jordan V's. If you come down on someone's foot the wrong way, you're going to roll it regardless of what you are wearing. Just my opinion

Originally Posted by kidslikekix

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

what trend?

bibby been wearing low tops for years.

anyways

hyperizers are g money. still ball in em
I stand corrected!  You are right man!  The fact is...  you want the best ankle protection ... keep the heel on the same level as the toes.  Here is another hint ... ever had your ankles taped?  They are ALWAYS taped in neutral position.  ALWAYS.  
Peace.
you do know that taping your ankles is pretty much useless by half time, and probably before then?

i think some players have their anlkes retaped at halftime just because it loses up and you don't have the same protection anymore.

Originally Posted by blackwood hardtop

Oh I definitely agree with you there. The lower the shoe is to the ground, the lesser the chance of rolling it. However, I think that only applies when referring to lateral movements. In terms of landing on another's foot, I feel that a high top shoe may prevent sprains only if the higher cut is reinforced with materials, i.e serves a purpose instead of just being there for the sake of coverage, which is why i referred to the XIIs and the Kobe Vs. My view is that if i were to land on another's foot at a certain angle, the XIIs may prevent or mitigate the sprain, whereas the Vs may not 'catch' my ankle and allow it to compensate for the awkward landing.
This guy speaks the truth. High tops will definitely not prevent you from rolling your ankle if you LAND or STEP on someone else's foot, but it will probably reduce the angle or degree at which your ankle bends. That's essentially the point of why one will prefer wearing lowtops anyway - it gives your ankle a whole lot of freedom to move. Hence when the inevitable time comes that you step on someone and are about to roll your ankle, your ankle will then "bend" more than how it will if you wore a high-top which will somehow restrict movement. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been wearing Kobe 4s and 5s since they came out, and I have bad ankles. I wear them because I like the weight of the shoe and the freedom of movement it gives me, and not because I believe they give me better or at least equal ankle support as my other high-tops. 

Back
Top Bottom