Planning a Trip to Seattle! SUGGESTIONS?!

Okay here's the restaurant rundown:

Burgers: Red Mill or Zippys. (D!cks is iconic but waaaaaaaay overrated).
Sandwiches: Salumi, Paseo, Grinders, Royal Grinders, Baguette Box (get the truffle fries).
Pizza: Veraci, Serious Pie, Flying Squirrel.
If you're from the east coast, get some teryaki!

Sit Down Spots: Dahlia Lounge, Poppy, Lola, BoKA, Sonrisa, Root Table, 5 Spot, Hi-Life.

If I could only eat one meal, it would be the porchetta sandwich from Salumi (owned by the Batali family, of Mario Batali fame). Paseo cuban sandwiches are a close second. The sit down spots listed range from $15-40 a plate depending on the spot. Poppy is one of my most-unique dining experiences. Great opportunity for a date.

Paseo sandwiches changed my life. Really. Ever since I tried it, I compare all sandwiches to theirs.

These gentlemen know. *tips cap to both of you*

For night spots, Belltown is OD in my opinion (see Tia Lou's comments above). However, if I was still 21-25, I'd probably still recommend it.

For more of a more local feel, I'd recommend going north a little north of the UW campus to Fremont and/or Ballard. You're more likely to find a chiller crowd with bearded hipsters wearing eco friendly ponchos, but also drinking some of the best microbrews in the area.

Fremont is overrun with frat kids and a younger crowd, in general. Ballard isn't much better, but it has great restaurants.

Any suggestions for driving up to Vancouver for a day trip? Places to eat and check out? and how much time will be enough at each place to enjoy a day trip?

^Only thing I recommend is to steer clear of East Hastings Street, it was like Hamsterdam live an in color.

There is a ******** to do in Vancouer though, just get stoned and enjoy the architechture for one, and the various foods you can enjoy are a plus. The ride is easy too, unless the border is backed up.

I was there a year ago.troll under the bridge.Jimmy Hendrix statute.got around mostly on the bus.really cool chill place

:lol:  :smh:

Which spot was this?

It's all nightclubs. The liquor board is a bunch of fun-hating old farts who make all sorts of dumb rules to maintain what little power thy have left in Washington. Hell, nightclubs aren't even allowed to legally call it "bottle service" because it's against the law (or probably just another dumb rule the liquor board made up) to advertise selling entire bottles of liquor. It's called "tableside service" instead. The fact you can even buy a bottle in a nightclub in Washington is a miracle, because if the liquor board had their way, they'd ban it entirely. They hate the fact that nightclubs do it, but as long as someone else is pouring the liquor, there's nothing they can do. Unfortunately, the only way to ensure that is to lock the bottle up.

The nightclubs hate it because while they get business out of the sales (and markup), they're missing out on so much more opportunity if customers were able to handle it themselves. I know people who live here who refuse to get bottle service because it's locked in that cage. I get it every once in awhile, but only if a friend of mine is the waitress, and she pours extra glasses of just vodka so we can make our own drinks. Technically, that's not illegal, because she actually poured it...even though it's no different than if I poured my own drink, because it's just straight alcohol.

Also, the liquor board has tried to implement rules that you can't sell a bottle for less than the equivalent of what it would cost if somebody bought that much alcohol at the bar (in other words, no bottle "deals" or "free" bottles). It's nearly impossible to enforce though.

Champagne is handled just like beer: you can pour your own, drink out of the bottle, whatever you want.

My dude! It was you that hooked me up with the folks out there. Thank you again for all the tips and plugs...appreciated, sir.

^Only thing I recommend is to steer clear of East Hastings Street, it was like Hamsterdam live an in color.

There is a ******** to do in Vancouer though, just get stoned and enjoy the architechture for one, and the various foods you can enjoy are a plus. The ride is easy too, unless the border is backed up.

Do you think If i leave Seattle at Noon, that will be enough time to enjoy Vancouver? Or should I leave early early morning to try and get there around 9AM?

Do you think If i leave Seattle at Noon, that will be enough time to enjoy Vancouver? Or should I leave early early morning to try and get there around 9AM?

I'd suggest leaving as early as possible, especially if it's a weekend (Friday and Sunday). Although it's much worse coming back into the US, so the drive back can take an extra 30-45 minutes.

I'd suggest leaving as early as possible, especially if it's a weekend (Friday and Sunday). Although it's much worse coming back into the US, so the drive back can take an extra 30-45 minutes.

I arrive in seattle at 10AM Thursday. I was either going to go straight to Vancouver to explore. If not I was going to leave early morning the next day.

^You just doing a day trip? If so, head up early Friday AM and give yourself the entire day.

Also, Seattle has some of the worst traffice I have ever been in. Can a local consign this?

^You just doing a day trip? If so, head up early Friday AM and give yourself the entire day.

Also, Seattle has some of the worst traffice I have ever been in. Can a local consign this?
I have been in worse. But yeah it gets bad from Northgate to south center. If you know your back roads it doesn't bother you though

Everyone is dead on about paseo, make sure you call ahead to order if on the weekends ... Then ditch everyone in line to pick it up, I'm dead serious from experience

Ill be out that way for a few days next week, if anyone is down to hoop or medicate, let me know

Seattle does, but for his purposes (going to Vancouver early AM), there's almost zero traffic from Downtown Seattle headed north in the morning.

visiting from friday to sunday (15-17th) .  whats the best way to get around other than renting a car?  were staying at red lion on fifth hotel in downtown so we should be able to walk to most places, but it looks like paseos, troll under the bridge, bruce lee memorial, and kerry park, and red mill will need some sort of transportation.  Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
visiting from friday to sunday (15-17th) .  whats the best way to get around other than renting a car?  were staying at red lion on fifth hotel in downtown so we should be able to walk to most places, but it looks like paseos, troll under the bridge, bruce lee memorial, and kerry park, and red mill will need some sort of transportation.  Thanks everyone!

I had no problems using their public transportation. Easy peezy.

well you will be right across the street from niketown, the convention center, and gameworks. its a solid area. belltown is a 2 minute walk. pike place is a 1 minute walk. pioneer square is a 10 minute walk. capital hill is a couple minute walk. other than that there is a under ground free bus service that goes from china town to space needle i think. the closest stop by you will be westlake shopping center

nicee thanks for that.  also, is there anyway to buy a prepaid card for buses?  dont wanna carry out exact change the whole time.  

Best bet is probably an Orca Card. Theres some locations downtown to get them. They cost five bucks

Seattle is a good spot to get your grub on, there's happy hours going on everywhere at different times of the day, so many different spots... Toulouse Petit has a crazy happy hour menu, Purple cafe and wine bar was pretty good, gourmet dog japon is good for a quick snack near Pike Market, UW is worth checking out, Fremont Troll, Bruce Lee's grave (and Brandon... Good luck finding it), space needle, Kerry park for some pics, pioneer square tour was kinda cool, Taylor shellfish farm is good for raw, umi sake house for some sushi, I've heard good things about paseos, too full to try it when some friends went, they got a din tai fung for some xiao long bao... Man, so many things to do, see and eat, need to get back to Seattle soon.

Almost every bus that goes through Downtown either stops along 3rd Ave or in the Bus Tunnel. It's really easy to navigate, and bus drivers are very helpful letting you know when to get off.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of the newer buses have automated information (kind of like NYC subways)? I haven't been on a bus on the street in awhile, but I seem to remember one in the tunnel recently that had automated announcements. Could be just the in the tunnel though.

I catch one from home to downtown for work and they do have the automated announcments for the street/stop your on and the upcoming stop so I assume the rest do.

Too bad they got rid of the free ride zone for downtown. It was convenient for tourist and ppl who work downtown not having to pay when you needed to move within the area

Yeah, the Ride Free Zone was nice. Wish they'd never gotten rid of it. Sometimes when I'd go downtown, I'd ende up walking from westlake all the way to Pioneer Square, and didn't feel like walking back, so just hop on a bus.

Back
Top Bottom