Planning NikeTalk Live 2018 - Las Vegas or New York?

Where should we host NikeTalk Live 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that many people showed up last time, since they all went into hiding from the NFL thread

Meth, why isn't L.A. an option?
We couldn't list every city in a poll. Six options is already pushing it, honestly. (There are a number of studies and articles about the psychology of choices, for those interested. In short, the more options people have, the harder it can be to make a decision. Although no choice will be unanimous, we'd love to reach some sort of consensus or at least have usable data from which to reach an informed decision.)

In the future, as I've said, we'd love to take the show on the road and visit all of the cities everyone's mentioned so far, but we need to work our way up to that. If we are to host the event in CA again, it makes sense for us to build on the last event. The Bay Area is home base for a lot of the people who work on or with NT, which makes location scouting much easier - and makes it easier/cheaper to recruit volunteers to help us staff the event. By comparison, LA is a harder event for us to host.

All things being equal, if LA is just as complicated for us to plan as an event outside CA, another state or region arguably deserves a turn first.

Was at the one in SF in 2016, (see me in the pic :lol:) it was super dope. I’d love to see it back in the Bay Area! I’ll be there again for sure!!
If there was a single unifying theme to all of the feedback we received from the previous event, from participants, to organizers, to volunteers, it was the glowing, effusive praise for the guests. You guys made the event - and, in so doing, you made everyone involved want to do this again.

We absolutely want to hold another event in the Bay Area at some point. Whether that happens this year or in the future depends on the responses we receive.

Methodical Management Methodical Management
U don’t have any Nike connects that could sponser a venue
NikeTalk is NOT affiliated with Nike Inc. in any way, shape, or form. All opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Nike, Inc.
Wikia sponsored the last event. We no longer work with them. Nike does not sponsor NikeTalk.

@jumpmanst was kind enough to attend as an individual, not on behalf of or as a representative for Nike.

Obviously part of me would love to. NikeTalk has been part of my life every single day since December 8th, 1999. (Earlier, if you count all the pre-production planning of it before Nelson had given the site its final name.)

Unfortunately, as someone who values their privacy, anything that could jeopardize my privacy could jeopardize, on some level, my continued involvement with the community - and that's not a risk I want to take.

It's become kind of a sore spot, because it's reached the point where it's begun attracting unwanted attention and scrutiny for those who work behind the scenes, too, or those who collaborate with us. (Evidently, it's just assumed that anyone whose name isn't widely known, and who would prefer that their name remain unknown, must be me.) There's actually an example of this happening at the last event. I'd elaborate, but it's not exactly a thrilling story.

Suffice it to say, the incident really reinforced the desire for those of us who choose to participate anonymously to remain so. It's unfortunate.

Truth be told, I'm not the lead planner for these events - but I enjoy helping out with them, to whatever extent I'm able in a planning and online support capacity, because so many people really treasure those early, unofficial "NikeTalk summit" experiences and other in person meet ups. The person who is most responsible for these events - the person who pitched, named, and planned NikeTalk Live 2016 - was once publicly catcalled and harassed by a community member. It's both heartbreaking and infuriating, as that's completely antithetical to the values we've tried to promote here.

I know that's not in any way exclusive to NikeTalk. If anything, it's less prevalent here than elsewhere - but if it happens once, it happens too often.

It's sad to think that both of us would ever have cause to worry that we'd be considered a negative distraction at an event we helped plan (she far more so than I), and yet that's still very much where the Internet is right now, despite every effort to the contrary.

If you can't attend an event like this because of a choice you've made (to protect your privacy), at least it was your choice.

The greater issue for us it to ensure that everyone who would like to attend can feel safe and welcome - and there's still a lot of work that we as a community need to do on that front.

What exactly is the story that happened at the last summit Meth? You brought it up and then did the oh never mind I said anything. why not just show up to the event dressed up as your avy? This way you can attend the event and still keep your privacy. :lol:
Honestly, I don't even have the whole story myself, as I wasn't there.

At some point, I believe when describing a project we were working on at the time with Wikia, that has since been scrapped for obvious reasons, one of our Huddler friends inadvertently slipped up and referred to someone involved with that project by their first name. There are a number of people who are or were associated with NikeTalk at the time who would not want to have their name mentioned. There have been seeral incidents where Huddler employees have been harassed (even sexually harassed and physically threatened) by members of other online communities. It was a priority there, and it's long been a point of emphasis for us. Even at the event, where we needed to collect each guest's name for security reasons, we instructed Wikia/Huddler staff to consider it sensitive information and allow each guest to introduce themselves by "real name" or "screen name" as they so chose, without setting out name tags. For a brief moment, this person inadvertently let someone's "real name" slip in the context of discussing this project they'd been consulted on. They caught themselves really quickly, and it wasn't, or, at least, shouldn't have been a big deal. I'm not going to throw somebody under the bus and reveal whose name it actually was or what their relationship was to the site (staff, former staff, Huddler, Wikia, sponsor, volunteer, etc.) All I can say is that, in the moment and for whatever reason, a few people got really excited because they thought it was my name that was this "big secret." Maybe that's how they played it off as a joke, I'm not sure.

After the event, however, I started randomly getting all these messages from people that made no sense and Nelson C had to explain it to me. As you might imagine, some of these messages represented the exact reason why I prefer to remain anonymous. It showed us exactly how some people - people we'd hand picked to attend this event for maturity and trustworthiness - would behave if they thought they knew something as simple and seemingly innocuous as my first name.

That's why I can't attend. It's hard to feel comfortable attending an event where a non-zero percentage of other attendees are that pressed for any scrap of personally identifiable information about me - to the point where it created an issue for other people affiliated with the site.

It should be such a non-issue, but it clearly isn't. And I care too much about the community, and about these events, to create or contribute to that type of unwelcome distraction.

That said, someone does need to support the event online - to help with the online charity auction and to share as much content from the event as possible to those of us who can't be there in person. In that sense, my absence from the event can do more for it than my presence ever could - and our staff will be very well represented.

I don't think anyone who attended NikeTalk Live 2016 was disappointed on that front. If you had a question about NikeTalk, for example, who better to ask than its founder?

NikeTalk Live 2018 will be a great time for all those in attendance, and I'll do my best to make sure that those of us who can't attend are able to enjoy it in some form as well.

At some point, we'd love to make a panel discussion available to stream, and I know some people would have a lot of fun watching NikeTalk members participate in whatever gaming tournament(s) we might have as well. Unfortunately, the pro photographer who was supposed to cover the previous event flaked on us - but this time around we'll make absolutely certain that we have better coverage.

Everyone loved the video @huddlerluis put together for the previous event, so that's something it would be great to reproduce for this next one, too.

Now that we're all talking about it this far in advance, we can incorporate suggestions from everyone as well to make the experience even better - so I'm confident that those who attend will not miss me. They'll be too busy having fun.

Y’all should just let me plan the 19 one. Secret Santa, Vegas and LA meet ups...

This is part of the planning process, so we'd love to have your input. Everyone agrees that the holiday gift exchange you organized has long since achieved legendary status, so we'd all love for some of that magic to enhance future events as well.

It's far too early to be talking about the 2019 event with any specificity, but keep this in mind: December 9th, 2019 will be NikeTalk's 20th anniversary.

Part of the purpose for this year's event is to help us ramp up for an even more ambitious event in 2019. Hopefully, with everyone's help, we can build the type of celebration that our community deserves.

What exactly is the story that happened at the last summit Meth? You brought it up and then did the oh never mind I said anything. why not just show up to the event dressed up as your avy? This way you can attend the event and still keep your privacy. :lol:

I’d pay to get in if y’all told me Meth was gonna be dressed as Cobra Commander.

So you guys cool if I show up dressed as Cobra Commander? Asking for a friend. :nthat:

s of other online communities. It was a priority there, and it's long been a point of emphasis for us. Even at the event, where we needed to collect each guest's name for security reasons, we instructed Wikia/Huddler staff to consider it sensitive information and allow each guest to introduce themselves by "real name" or "screen name" as they so chose, without setting out name tags. For a brief moment, this person inadvertently let someone's "real name" slip in the context of discussing this project they'd been consulted on. They caught themselves really quickly, and it wasn't, or, at least, shouldn't have been a big deal. I'm not going to throw somebody under the bus and reveal whose name it actually was or what their relationship was to the site (staff, former staff, Huddler, Wikia, sponsor, volunteer, etc.) All I can say is that, in the moment and for whatever reason, a few people got really excited because they thought it was my name that was this "big secret." Maybe that's how they played it off as a joke, I'm not sure.

After the event, however, I started randomly getting all these messages from people that made no sense and Nelson C had to explain it to me. As you might imagine, some of these messages represented the exact reason why I prefer to remain anonymous. It showed us exactly how some people - people we'd hand picked to attend this event for maturity and trustworthiness - would behave if they thought they knew something as simple and seemingly innocuous as my first name.

That's why I can't attend. It's hard to feel comfortable attending an event where a non-zero percentage of other attendees are that pressed for any scrap of personally identifiable information about me - to the point where it created an issue for other people affiliated with the site.

It should be such a non-issue, but it clearly isn't. And I care too much about the community, and about these events, to create or contribute to that type of unwelcome distraction.

This is part of the planning process, so we'd love to have your input. Everyone agrees that the holiday gift exchange you organized has long since achieved legendary status, so we'd all love for some of that magic to enhance future events as well.

It's far too early to be talking about the 2019 event with any specificity, but keep this in mind: December 9th, 2019 will be NikeTalk's 20th anniversary.

Part of the purpose for this year's event is to help us ramp up for an even more ambitious event in 2019. Hopefully, with everyone's help, we can build the type of celebration that our community deserves.

Would love to help. Unfortunately, will still be in Europe I imagine for 18, but 19, absolutely!

At some point, I believe when describing a project we were working on at the time with Wikia, that has since been scrapped for obvious reasons, one of our Huddler friends inadvertently slipped up and referred to someone involved with that project by their first name. There are a number of people who are or were associated with NikeTalk at the time who would not want to have their name mentioned. There have been seeral incidents where Huddler employees have been harassed (even sexually harassed and physically threatened) by members of other online communities. It was a priority there, and it's long been a point of emphasis for us. Even at the event, where we needed to collect each guest's name for security reasons, we instructed Wikia/Huddler staff to consider it sensitive information and allow each guest to introduce themselves by "real name" or "screen name" as they so chose, without setting out name tags. For a brief moment, this person inadvertently let someone's "real name" slip in the context of discussing this project they'd been consulted on. They caught themselves really quickly, and it wasn't, or, at least, shouldn't have been a big deal. I'm not going to throw somebody under the bus and reveal whose name it actually was or what their relationship was to the site (staff, former staff, Huddler, Wikia, sponsor, volunteer, etc.) All I can say is that, in the moment and for whatever reason, a few people got really excited because they thought it was my name that was this "big secret." Maybe that's how they played it off as a joke, I'm not sure.

That said, someone does need to support the event online - to help with the online charity auction and to share as much content from the event as possible to those of us who can't be there in person. In that sense, my absence from the event can do more for it than my presence ever could - and our staff will be very well represented.

I don't think anyone who attended NikeTalk Live 2016 was disappointed on that front. If you had a question about NikeTalk, for example, who better to ask than its founder?

NikeTalk Live 2018 will be a great time for all those in attendance, and I'll do my best to make sure that those of us who can't attend are able to enjoy it in some form as well.

At some point, we'd love to make a panel discussion available to stream, and I know some people would have a lot of fun watching NikeTalk members participate in whatever gaming tournament(s) we might have as well. Unfortunately, the pro photographer who was supposed to cover the previous event flaked on us - but this time around we'll make absolutely certain that we have better coverage.

Everyone loved the video @huddlerluis put together for the previous event, so that's something it would be great to reproduce for this next one, too.

Now that we're all talking about it this far in advance, we can incorporate suggestions from everyone as well to make the experience even better - so I'm confident that those who attend will not miss me. They'll be too busy having fun.

Mark Zuckerberg gets called bad names everyday B. None of us would be here without yall.

this sounds like a great idea. Looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with. Some panels plus video game tourneys sound good

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mysterious meth, I like it. I like you!

Not feeling how the black people were on one side and the Asian and whites on the other, in that one picture. I know we stick together ethnically. But looks bad on NT, a so called place for unity and community.

I will
Not be attending becuase of this issue. Thank you, kindly.

Get over self. We have lives ya know. You can still
Keep
Your manager position at Best Buy. No
One will blow up your spot.

Meth out here avoiding niketalkers like Michael Jackson avoided the paparazzi :rofl:

Not feeling how the black people were on one side and the Asian and whites on the other, in that one picture. I know we stick together ethnically. But looks bad on NT, a so called place for unity and community.

I will
Not be attending becuase of this issue. Thank you, kindly.

Hey there, I'm sorry you feel this way. I would hope that in the spirit of community and unity that we allow our friends to stand where they please. At our next event, we will be sure to send you photos.

Thank you!

So big cities only? How about focusing around a sporting event like the Indianapolis 500? Chat, swap stories, sell shoes then all go to the race? We have an awesome airport, great walkable downtown that’s close knit. We had the super bowl here which was a huge hit. NCAA basketball tourneys all the time. The West Coast or East Coast seems limiting on who would go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom