Plays that are underrated because people can't comprehend them.

amel223 wrote:

I don't think enough people understand the difficulty of this play.� Undermining the play saying Lebron should've dunked it.� Look at where Lebron was when Wade caught the ball.� He sprinted 3/4 of the court, ahead of the Pacers pack, and caught the ball perfectly at just the right moment to lay it up.� Everything was all in one smooth motion.� When the alley oop is thrown from that far out, you best believe it's hard to get the timing down when you're sprinting near the length of the court as well, but Lebron made it look easy.

Wade's part is not to be underestimated as well.� Not just the strength and accuracy but also just knowing to throw it at the rim in the split second this all took place.�

wade traveled though

^The Roberto Carlos fk never fails to leave me
eek.gif

Best video I could find....one of many incredible passes by the great Xavi...

barcelona malaga xavi pass messi goal by footballove

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

like i said, because it was ewing.

we make a point to say it was andy because the ONE thing you CANT say about andy is that he's frail....shawn bradley was frail...

andy is a solid man.

Yall going so far as to nitpick HOW wade jumped in the air?

physically inaccurate? bruh, the second one in the air is always going to have more force, you lose force as its exterted, wade's force from running then jumping was literally being lost by the nanosecond...whereas, andy, who was planted before he jumped, was more solid...his position was much stronger than wades....he may not have had as much enertia behind him, BUT, he most certainly should have won the "collision"...definitely shouldnt have flown backwards, rolled up, into the padding like wade went super saiyin or something

9/10 if a big man jumps, even off a backpedal, and contacts a guard who is in mid air, and has been in mid air before the big jumped, the guard is going to topple and hit the ground...$#!!, i'd say 10/10 but pippen and wade are anomolies

the second person to leave their feet will always have more power...look in football...a reciever jumps to catch the pass, the defender jumps second to make contact....reciever ALWAYS gets layed. same logic applies here...andy jumped INTO WADE TO MAKE CONTACT with wade AFTER wade jumped, and got ROLLED BACKWARDS

the play isnt that he dunked on andy

its that he had dude rolled up backwards like a sleeping bag

AND HE GOT UP LIKE HE GOT DIRTY FOULED OR SOMETHING
Where do I begin. I'm not a physics expert, but if Wade is moving laterally and jumps towards the basket, the horizontal component of his velocity remains consistent the whole time he's in the air (air resistance isn't going to slow him down very much). Force doesn't come into play here because the only acceleration going on with either player is that of gravity, as after a force is applied to jump and the players leave the floor they are no longer capable of accelerating in midair. The only thing Wade is losing as time passes is the vertical component of his velocity. 
Each player's momentum, which is what will determine where they go after the collision, is dependent on their mass obviously, and mostly on the horizontal component of their velocity since their velocity in the vertical direction is minimal and the impact occurs in the horizontal plane. Varejao jumped STRAIGHT UP INTO THE AIR, so he has almost no horizontal velocity whatsoever to contribute to his momentum; he basically only has his 50 lb weight advantage on Wade and thus more inertia for Wade to have to move out of the way.
I'm not going to post the work, but assuming Wade is 200 lbs and Varejao is 250, I was generous and said that Varejao jumped forward into Wade at .5 m/s (about a half mile per hour). While Wade was moving in the opposite direction at 2.25 m/s (about 5 mph). After the collision, Varejao should be moving backwards at 2 m/s and Wade would have ricocheted and moved backwards at .25 m/s. This is assuming an elastic collision with no kinetic energy lost, but as far as I know the equation is still indicative of the process overall.

-Varejao was knocked backwards

-Wade kept moving forwards (instead of bouncing back like the equation showed when I assumed that Varejao jumped forward into Wade)

Means that Varejao jumped straight up in the air with practically zero momentum and Wade was going fast enough that the collision knocked him back. In fact if Varejao jumped after Wade did and was still rising, his vertical momentum would propel Wade upward a bit ala Tom Chambers dunk, and wouldn't impede Wade anymore than if Varejao had just stood there. Varejao leaving the ground at a later time doesn't help him at all if he just goes straight up; adding a vertical velocity component does nothing to change Wade's horizontal component. 

Your football example is wrong because the WR is usually filling Varejao's role, not Wade's. The WR goes up to get the ball moving in one direction, or in some cases jumps mostly vertical. Either way his focus/velocity is directed towards the ball. The safety however directs his momentum towards the receiver to make the hit, and if he's still on the ground can exert force on the receiver whereas the receiver cannot exert any force since he isn't able to accelerate because he's in the air. 

The more applicable example would be a running back launching himself over the goal line. If the linebacker just stands there and jumps straight up with no movement counter to the RB he's likely to get trucked or at least moved out of the way. Whereas if he propels himself in the opposite direction or keeps his feet and has leverage and drives the RB backwards the RB won't score. 

In conclusion, in order for Varejao to have more momentum than Wade while jumping nearly straight up in the air, he'd have to outweigh him by a crap ton more than 50 lbs. 

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

like i said, because it was ewing.

we make a point to say it was andy because the ONE thing you CANT say about andy is that he's frail....shawn bradley was frail...

andy is a solid man.

Yall going so far as to nitpick HOW wade jumped in the air?

physically inaccurate? bruh, the second one in the air is always going to have more force, you lose force as its exterted, wade's force from running then jumping was literally being lost by the nanosecond...whereas, andy, who was planted before he jumped, was more solid...his position was much stronger than wades....he may not have had as much enertia behind him, BUT, he most certainly should have won the "collision"...definitely shouldnt have flown backwards, rolled up, into the padding like wade went super saiyin or something

9/10 if a big man jumps, even off a backpedal, and contacts a guard who is in mid air, and has been in mid air before the big jumped, the guard is going to topple and hit the ground...$#!!, i'd say 10/10 but pippen and wade are anomolies

the second person to leave their feet will always have more power...look in football...a reciever jumps to catch the pass, the defender jumps second to make contact....reciever ALWAYS gets layed. same logic applies here...andy jumped INTO WADE TO MAKE CONTACT with wade AFTER wade jumped, and got ROLLED BACKWARDS

the play isnt that he dunked on andy

its that he had dude rolled up backwards like a sleeping bag

AND HE GOT UP LIKE HE GOT DIRTY FOULED OR SOMETHING
Where do I begin. I'm not a physics expert, but if Wade is moving laterally and jumps towards the basket, the horizontal component of his velocity remains consistent the whole time he's in the air (air resistance isn't going to slow him down very much). Force doesn't come into play here because the only acceleration going on with either player is that of gravity, as after a force is applied to jump and the players leave the floor they are no longer capable of accelerating in midair. The only thing Wade is losing as time passes is the vertical component of his velocity. 
Each player's momentum, which is what will determine where they go after the collision, is dependent on their mass obviously, and mostly on the horizontal component of their velocity since their velocity in the vertical direction is minimal and the impact occurs in the horizontal plane. Varejao jumped STRAIGHT UP INTO THE AIR, so he has almost no horizontal velocity whatsoever to contribute to his momentum; he basically only has his 50 lb weight advantage on Wade and thus more inertia for Wade to have to move out of the way.
I'm not going to post the work, but assuming Wade is 200 lbs and Varejao is 250, I was generous and said that Varejao jumped forward into Wade at .5 m/s (about a half mile per hour). While Wade was moving in the opposite direction at 2.25 m/s (about 5 mph). After the collision, Varejao should be moving backwards at 2 m/s and Wade would have ricocheted and moved backwards at .25 m/s. This is assuming an elastic collision with no kinetic energy lost, but as far as I know the equation is still indicative of the process overall.

-Varejao was knocked backwards

-Wade kept moving forwards (instead of bouncing back like the equation showed when I assumed that Varejao jumped forward into Wade)

Means that Varejao jumped straight up in the air with practically zero momentum and Wade was going fast enough that the collision knocked him back. In fact if Varejao jumped after Wade did and was still rising, his vertical momentum would propel Wade upward a bit ala Tom Chambers dunk, and wouldn't impede Wade anymore than if Varejao had just stood there. Varejao leaving the ground at a later time doesn't help him at all if he just goes straight up; adding a vertical velocity component does nothing to change Wade's horizontal component. 

Your football example is wrong because the WR is usually filling Varejao's role, not Wade's. The WR goes up to get the ball moving in one direction, or in some cases jumps mostly vertical. Either way his focus/velocity is directed towards the ball. The safety however directs his momentum towards the receiver to make the hit, and if he's still on the ground can exert force on the receiver whereas the receiver cannot exert any force since he isn't able to accelerate because he's in the air. 

The more applicable example would be a running back launching himself over the goal line. If the linebacker just stands there and jumps straight up with no movement counter to the RB he's likely to get trucked or at least moved out of the way. Whereas if he propels himself in the opposite direction or keeps his feet and has leverage and drives the RB backwards the RB won't score. 

In conclusion, in order for Varejao to have more momentum than Wade while jumping nearly straight up in the air, he'd have to outweigh him by a crap ton more than 50 lbs. 

Back
Top Bottom