Please lock.

I don't think Pacquiao deserved 50-50 but whatever Floyd Mayweather offered him wasn't fair either. Floyd by himself isn't as big of a draw as he makes himself out to be, his best selling fights were DLH, Cotto, and Alvarez all who brought a big fan base of their own.
Nobody sells ppvs anywhere near Floyd. He can fight the mail man and will do near 1 mil ppv buys
Manny does less than half of what may weather generates. So how is a 50/50 split fair?
Did you even read that guys post? I dont think anyone thinks this should be a 50/50 split. Maybe 4yrs ago but not now

I don't think Pacquiao deserved 50-50 but whatever Floyd Mayweather offered him wasn't fair either. Floyd by himself isn't as big of a draw as he makes himself out to be, his best selling fights were DLH, Cotto, and Alvarez all who brought a big fan base of their own.
Nobody sells ppvs anywhere near Floyd. He can fight the mail man and will do near 1 mil ppv buys
Manny does less than half of what may weather generates. So how is a 50/50 split fair?

I didn't say 50-50 was fair. However neither was whatever Floyd was offering him what was it 40 mill or 30-70 split?

Of course it would outdo De La Hoya-Mayweather. Especially in 09-11. Even if it happens now. If we compare Pacquiao and Mayweathers PPV numbers against their common opponents, the numbers are pretty close for the most part. Besides Mayweather vs De La Hoya compared to Pacquiao vs De La Hoya. The other opponents Pacquiao faced (Bradley, Clottey, Rios) just didn't bring much to the table as far as drawing power.

Last edited:
I didn't say 50-50 was fair. However neither was whatever Floyd was offering him what was it 40 mill or 30-70 split?
I think calling 40mil a 30-70 split is being generous. This fight would easily pull in 250-300 mil imo.

So what is that? A little less than 15% for Pac? Haha :smh:

Last edited:
url="/t/578876/official-2014-nt-boxing-thread-5-10-14-stiverne-arreola-on-espn/2600_50#post_20534135"]
I think calling 40mil a 30-70 split is being generous. This fight would easily pull in 250-300 mil imo.

So what is that? A little less than 15% for Pac? Haha :smh:

IIRC the initial offer was 40 mill, then Mayweather offered 70-30. But who really knows what went on behind the scenes? That was just what was provided by the media.

Last edited:
IIRC the initial offer was 40 mill, then Mayweather offered 70-30. But who really knows what went on behind the scenes? That was just what was provided by the media.
never heard the 30-70 but who knows. Floyd is so used to keeping all the $$$ that he cant fathom another boxer making anything more than 20%. He gotta tweet how much more he raked in. Smh. What Maidana get? A little less than 2mil? I'm sure he'll get a raise in the rematch to a whopping 3.5 mil haha :smh:

never heard the 30-70 but who knows. Floyd is so used to keeping all the $$$ that he cant fathom another boxer making anything more than 20%. He gotta tweet how much more he raked in. Smh. What Maidana get? A little less than 2mil? I'm sure he'll get a raise in the rematch to a whopping 3.5 mil haha :smh:

Just looked it up, it's actually what Pacquiao proposed 70-30 in favor of the winner.

Just looked it up, it's actually what Pacquiao proposed 70-30 in favor of the winner.

:wow: If I was Floyd, I would have taken the deal.

Point is, Pacquiao should have taken the 40 to fight Mayweather. Pacquiao does not deserve a 50/50 split.

Mayweather threw out that sorry contract KNOWING he's get a no, that way he could say that he went for the fight. He's a smart guy. That wasn't a legitimate offer. Y'all are stuck on the 40mil, and not the percentages.

I don't know how anyone can not understand this. Repped.

The fight at the time was the biggest thing in boxing. It would have made tons of money. If anything the analogy should be, you start a company and a big company comes along and tries to buy you out. But instead you say no and bank on your idea (talent) to earn you more money then what that company offered you. The big company offers you obviously less then what they think you are ultimately worth because they know they can profit off you in the long run. For a fight that is going to gross over $200 mil and i don't know how true that would be. The average boxing fan knows of 1 mega fight. Floyd vs Manny. You stop some one on the street who knows nothing about boxing...they probably can name you floyd vs manny. It would have got TONS of casual fans to watch. I don't think the same can be said for the Floyd vs Canelo fight and that made $200 mil.

Last edited:
Nobody sells ppvs anywhere near Floyd. He can fight the mail man and will do near 1 mil ppv

Which is pretty much what's happening. I'm not knocking Floyd one bit. You want easy money which a higher return, or a challenge with a higher split? Pretty easy question

Dude said Canelo is the 2nd biggest draw 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Canelo is the second biggest draw as an opponent for Mayweather, not the second biggest draw overall. He's not up there with Pacquiao or even Cotto yet.

:lol: If that was really the proposal, then you know Pacquiao didn't really want the fight. That's not how boxing works nor is it how purse's work. Percentage splits are about who brings in the money not who wins.

It's crazy to me that BOTH these guys turned down the biggest money making fight of their careers over minor details. Dudes in here are talking about Pacquiao was smart to turn down 40 million guaranteed because Mayweather might make 200 million. Those guys aren't even making a quarter of that per fight. Pacquiao especially isn't in position to be turning down that kind of money.

At some point, these guys are going to say 'forget the minor details, let's get it done before we retire so we can maximize the amount of money we make.' They have to.

Canelo is the second biggest draw as an opponent for Mayweather, not the second biggest draw overall. He's not up there with Pacquiao or even Cotto yet.

Yes he is.

What were Canelos PPV numbers from his last fight? I mean it wasn't too bad, but if he's the second biggest draw in the sport then there's problems.

Well that's my point. The dropoff from Mayweather to the rest is huge. Its like TV ratings when Tiger Woods is playing in a major compared to when he's not.

Yes he is.

What were Canelos PPV numbers from his last fight? I mean it wasn't too bad, but if he's the second biggest draw in the sport then there's problems.

Well that's my point. The dropoff from Mayweather to the rest is huge. Its like TV ratings when Tiger Woods is playing in a major compared to when he's not.

That's fair, but how is he the second biggest draw if he can't even do Pacquiao-Rios numbers?

I don't think he meant who is the 2nd biggest draw now (even though that's debatable between Manny/Canelo), I think he meant back when the fight was discussed every other day. For a few years in the 2000's, there was really no debate who was second to PBF as a PPV star. It was Floyd then a gap to Manny then another gap to Cotto. Outside of the Canelo fight, hasn't PBF's number been dropping along with Manny's? Maybe not in the steepness of Manny's because a lot more people hate PBF than love Manny :lol:

I don't think he meant who is the 2nd biggest draw now (even though that's debatable between Manny/Canelo), I think he meant back when the fight was discussed every other day. For a few years in the 2000's, there was really no debate who was second to PBF as a PPV star. It was Floyd then a gap to Manny then another gap to Cotto. Outside of the Canelo fight, hasn't PBF's number been dropping along with Manny's? Maybe not in the steepness of Manny's because a lot more people hate PBF than love Manny
laugh.gif
There is no debate then or now. Show me a fight where Canelo made 20+ million other than Mayweather? If he is a bigger draw than Manny he should be making more money per fight right? This is not directed at you personal just piggy backing your comment.

I don't think he meant who is the 2nd biggest draw now (even though that's debatable between Manny/Canelo), I think he meant back when the fight was discussed every other day. For a few years in the 2000's, there was really no debate who was second to PBF as a PPV star. It was Floyd then a gap to Manny then another gap to Cotto. Outside of the Canelo fight, hasn't PBF's number been dropping along with Manny's? Maybe not in the steepness of Manny's because a lot more people hate PBF than love Manny :lol:

There is no debate then or now. Show me a fight where Canelo made 20+ million other than Mayweather? If he is a bigger draw than Manny he should be making more money per fight right? This is not directed at you personal just piggy backing your comment.

Nah, you're right. I was confusing his PPV numbers and his HBO/Showtime numbers.

Exactly.

You guys think the fight would have topped PBF - DLH for most PPV ever?
EASY

Exactly.

You guys think the fight would have topped PBF - DLH for most PPV ever?
EASY

That was a rhetorical question...

Back
Top Bottom