Please lock.

Kenny Bayless ruined that fight. There were a handful of times he broke them up before anyone even clinched. It ensured that the fight was going to stay on the outside which is a huge advantage to Mayweather. Luckily Maidana's much improved jab, his feints and his patient gameplan let him do SOME damage and win a couple of rounds. But the lack of in-fighting + Mayweather holding anytime MM anytime he got close (and being rewarded by having Bayless break it up immediately) gave Marcos no chance. It was clear the politicking got into Bayless' head. Warning Maidana about low blows that didn't happen, deducting a point with no warning, breaking them up anytime mayweather thought about a clinch, etc. Pretty sad.

With that said, I doubt Mayweather takes on Thurman. Same reason everyone else is ducking him. Too good and doesn't bring enough money. He needs a big win or two. The guy is an awesome exciting fighter with a real personality. The casual fans need to see him ASAP

Those seats are better than that camera indicates if that's an iPhone. It will always make decent seats look ****** when taking pics.

On a side note Floyd is full of **** always yapping about giving the fans what they want when he knows god damn well we want the pacquiao fight
Think my boy has the Gal 4. He sat right by Ken Jeong. Said Jamie Foxx and a Lakers player were nearby.

It's funny how correct Brandon Rios was on All Access about Kenny Bayless.

Rios said "He's going to keep saying break break break break"

:smile: they joked about it but they knew it was truth

Just got done watching, Mayweather got the job done but looked sloppy. Mayweather tried moving more, but it was equally challenging as the first match. I really believe Shawn Porter and Kell Brook from a few weeks ago would've beaten Mayweather last night.
did we watch the same fight? it was easy work compared to the 1st fight, I have zero I idea what the game plan was for maidana /garcia because they did NOTHING like the 1st fight . it was just as bad as what canelo did

Floyd cliched every time Maidana got inside and started doing work.
Bayless immediately breaks them.
Then Maidana has to reset again to gain his inside advantage or position, round ends.
Repeat for 11 more rounds, fights over, and Maidana is left scratching his head.

Mayweather for sure looked off. His balance didn't even appear sharp as usual.

Just got done watching, Mayweather got the job done but looked sloppy. Mayweather tried moving more, but it was equally challenging as the first match. I really believe Shawn Porter and Kell Brook from a few weeks ago would've beaten Mayweather last night.

did we watch the same fight? it was easy work compared to the 1st fight, I have zero I idea what the game plan was for maidana /garcia because they did NOTHING like the 1st fight . it was just as bad as what canelo did

It didnt look like the fight started at round 13. Myweather didn't seem to have cracked Maidana's code. Mayweather just decided to move more and Maidana decided to conserve his energy.

I think it was more Maidana not throwing and wailing on PBF and stalking around the ring that made the fight so one sided. His wildness got him close and inside with PBF. It's easier for him to figure out a guy just standing there with no movement and just trying to jab - straight right than a guy throwing punches like a wind turbine and roughing him up. Maidana fought a little more of an orthodox fight and got handled. No one can tell me Maidana won more than one round.

I thought I saw MM win round 4 (Maybe) and the 12th. Very interested in MM's next fight, he has such an awkward style I see him giving people some problems. There is no question PBF has slowed down but I didn't think he looked sloppy. I will rewatch again tonight.

I doubt he'll ever go back down to 140 but I'm hoping Matthyse comes up to 147 and we get that fight. Been waiting for that fight for years.

Maidana talked about retiring to spend time with his family. I want to see him fight Thurman, especially after that boxrec tease.

Last edited:
Yea, not Lucas vs. PBF :lol:

IDK, I always like to see how power adapts moving up. Maidana didn't have it in the first fight against Devon. I'd have to lean Maidana right now.

I hear ya...but I think one of them is on the way out...like within two fights they may be down and out. There's just so many holes in Maidana and Lucas has had a really rough year between Garcia and Molina. I really hope I'm wrong there though.

BUT, I would not be opposed to seeing Matthyse and Broner go at it either.

A lot of good fights could be made but they won't be :smh:

Couple articles here:

Bettors losing interest in Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing, but Las Vegas gamblers weren't interested in his rematch with Marcos Maidana.

The amount wagered on Saturday's fight was down significantly across town. Jay Rood, vice president of race and sports books for MGM, said the rematch attracted less than 50 percent of the betting action that Mayweather's fight with Canelo Alvarez drew in September 2013.

[+] EnlargeFloyd Mayweather Jr., Marcos Maidana
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Floyd Mayweather Jr. fights are not drawing as many big bets as they used to.
William Hill director of trading Nick Bogdanovich described the betting handle on Mayweather-Maidana II as "horrible." The Wynn, Westgate SuperBook, CG Technology and South Point also said the action was light.

"He's a draw, but it's not translating to the betting window," Rood said of Mayweather.

In the past, Mayweather fights have attracted some of the bigger bets made in Vegas. Six-figure wagers were common, with the occasional million-dollar bet. The big money is almost always on the heavily favored Mayweather. The big players have never lost, but not as many of them showed up this past weekend.

"We took a couple big bets on Floyd, but not as many as in the past," said John Avello, executive director of the Wynn Race and Sports Book. Rood said the MGM took a couple of six-figure bets on Mayweather, but not nearly as many as in previous fights.

Mayweather, a minus-600 favorite, improved to 47-0 with a unanimous decision over Maidana. The majority of the bets were on the underdog, which is normal for a fight with a heavy favorite.

Tourists and recreational bettors aren't fond of putting up $300 to win $50. They'd much rather put up a small amount on the underdog hoping for the big payday. That was the case again Saturday and resulted in a profit for the sports books, just not nearly as much they've won on previous Mayweather fights.

"No big bets; no accumulation of small bets on the underdog. No interest," Bogdanovich said.

Named the world's highest-paid athlete by Forbes, Mayweather is a polarizing figure who has been under recent intense scrutiny for his history with domestic abuse.

"Floyd's not the most popular guy," Bogdanovich added. "His fights aren't really exciting. People are tired of it."

Mayweather plans to retire after two more fights.

Weekend wrap up.

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

Saturday at Las Vegas
Floyd Mayweather Jr. W12 Marcos Maidana
Retains world welterweight and junior middleweight titles
Scores: 116-111 (twice), 115-112
Records: Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs); Maidana (35-5, 31 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: The 12 tough rounds that Mayweather went with wild man Maidana on May 3 -- when Maidana gave the pound-for-pound king probably the toughest fight of his career, only to lose a majority decision in their welterweight unification fight -- served as a classroom for Mayweather. He learned what he needed to do against Maidana and it served him well in a rematch that was much, much easier than the first time around.

Mayweather, one of the smartest fighters ever inside the ring, stuck to his game plan and mastered Maidana, who remained aggressive as ever but incredibly ineffective with his wild punches. Although he landed some of them -- including a heavy right hand near the end of the third round that briefly buckled Mayweather -- Maidana was reduced to chasing Mayweather around and landing very little. Mayweather, meanwhile, put all the myriad distractions in his life outside the ring out of mind and boxed beautifully. His counter right hand was pinpoint, his jab was excellent and his defense and speed still strong. Mayweather looks like he might be slowing down just a tad -- not unexpected at age 37 and after 18 years as a professional -- but he still had more than enough to leave no doubt against the former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist Maidana, 31, of Argentina, who had the majority of the 16,144 fans at the MGM Grand Garden Arena behind him even though the fight was in Mayweather's hometown.

Perhaps frustrated by his inability to do all that much damage to the defensively great Mayweather, as well as referee Kenny Bayless calling a tight fight -- which did not allow for Maidana's typically physical style to take its toll on the inside -- Maidana bit Mayweather's left hand during a weird sequence in the eighth round. They had become tangled and Mayweather had him in a headlock when he suddenly jumped back, claiming the bite. Mayweather said the bite -- which replays appeared to show, despite Maidana's denials -- caused three of his fingers to go numb. And, hey, if there's a bite in a boxing match at the MGM Grand, it's only appropriate that former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield was ringside -- 17 years after Mike Tyson bit off a chunk of his ear in the same ring.

When Maidana (who made a minimum of $3 million) shoved Mayweather (who made at least $32 million) to the mat in the 10th round. Bayless took away a point, further putting Maidana in a hole. Mayweather cruised down the stretch and won easily, although Maidana incredibly said he won. That had to be only pride, because he got schooled. The CompuBox punch statistics also illustrated a clear Mayweather dominance as he landed 166 of 326 punches (51 percent) and Maidana connected on only 128 of 572 blows (22 percent).

With the victory in hand much of the post-fight discussion turned to you know what: Will Mayweather fight Manny Pacquiao (who does first have a Nov. 22 date with Chris Algieri in Macau, China)? Mayweather, in a different tone than usual, said he was open to it. Who knows what will happen? Don't get your hopes up, but maybe, just maybe, everyone involved in this ridiculous soap opera will come to their senses.

Leo Santa Cruz TKO2 Manuel Roman
Retains a junior featherweight title
Records: Santa Cruz (28-0-1, 16 KOs); Roman (17-3-3, 6 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: As soon as this fight was made the general consensus was -- for good reason -- that Roman did not warrant a title shot for any reason whatsoever and that it was a terrible mismatch. To make matters worse, it was in a prime slot as the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana II Showtime PPV co-feature.

The fight lived down to every possible insult hurled its way as Santa Cruz absolutely scorched the outclassed Roman, his former sparring partner, to retain his 122-pound title for the third time.

Roman, who was boxing in his first scheduled 12-round fight (after having just two 10-rounders while primarily fighting six- and eight-round fights), got dominated in the first round and was put out of his misery in the second round when Santa Cruz, 26, a native of Mexico based in Rosemead, California, crushed him with a right hand that caught him on the chin. Down he went and Robert Byrd waved off the fight at 55 seconds as Roman, 26, a native of Mexico based in Paramount, California, was struggling to get to his feet.

With Roman out of the way, Santa Cruz, a former bantamweight titlist before vacating his belt to rise in weight, said he wants a unification fight with either unified titlist Guillermo Rigondeaux, Carl Frampton or Scott Quigg, although his focus is on Rigondeaux, who is easily the most challenging opponent.

Mickey Bey W12 Miguel Vazquez
Wins a lightweight title
Scores: 119-109, 115-113 Bey, 115-113 Vazquez
Records: Bey (21-1-1, 10 KOs); Vazquez (34-4, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: This was an absolutely hideous fight that shall go into the pantheon of unwatchable fights. And it was no surprise at all. That is Vazquez, who typically sucks the life out of every fight he has ever been in. It was almost as if the matchmakers sat in a room and purposely tried to make the worst style fight that they could. If you were able to stay awake and score the fight perhaps you could have Bey winning a close fight, or perhaps Vazquez winning, but the 119-109 scorecard was a joke, almost as bad as the fight -- but not quite.

Bey, 31, of Cleveland, who got the opportunity to fight for the belt without any semblance of a strong victory on his resume, ended Vazquez's 13-fight winning streak. Vazquez, 27, of Mexico, who was making his seventh defense, whirled and moved around Bey throughout the fight and refused to engage. But Bey wasn't doing a whole lot, either, although he was at least a bit more aggressive, despite how ineffective that aggressiveness was. He bloodied Vazquez's nose in the fourth round.

The CompuBox punch statistics are a perfect illustration of how bad this was. Bey landed 81 of 394 punches (21 percent) and Vazquez landed 89 of 404 (22 percent), way below the average for lightweights. Mainly the alleged fight consisted of a lot of grabbing, holding, feinting and staring. And if you were watching, sleeping.

James De La Rosa W10 Alfredo Angulo
Middleweights
Scores: 99-89, 98-90, 96-92
Records: De La Rosa (23-2, 13 KOs); Angulo (22-5, 18 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: "The Dog" looks done. Angulo, the heavy favorite, looked like a dead man for eight rounds before springing to life (relatively speaking) to hurt and wobble De La Rosa in the ninth and 10th round, but it was way too little, way too late.

De La Rosa, 26, of San Benito, Texas, dominated the fight, winning most of the rounds with ease until encountering trouble late in the fight. De La Rosa was properly credited with a second-round knockdown by referee Russell Mora when he nailed Angulo with two hard left hands that bounced Angulo off the ropes at the bell ending the round. But because the ropes so obviously are all that prevented Angulo from going down, Mora ruled a knockdown.

De La Rosa picked Angulo apart with solid combinations and was having his way as Angulo put himself in an even deeper hole when Mora docked a point from him in the seventh round for a low blow. After the eighth round, Angulo's trainer, Virgil Hunter, told him quite correctly, "If you don't knock him out, your career is over. Go get him for me." Angulo tried his best and nearly did it, but De La Rosa absorbed the punishment and made it to the final bell for the clear win.

This ranks as the best win of De La Rosa's career, by far. As for Angulo, he seems done as a serious contender, especially having moved up to middleweight for this fight. He has lost three fights in a row, including 10th-round knockouts to Erislandy Lara in June 2013 followed by Canelo Alvarez, who gave him an absolute beating in March.

Humberto Soto W10 John Molina Jr.
Junior welterweights
Scores: 96-91, 95-92 (twice)
Records: Soto (65-8-2, 35 KOs); Molina (27-5, 22 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Soto and Molina figured to be a tremendous action fight and it was in spots. But it was unfortunately marred by low blow after low blow that could make any man wince just watching it.

Referee Jay Nady warned both fighters about their dirty tactics and he had enough when Molina knocked Soto to the mat in the sixth and seventh rounds with shots below the belt. He deducted points both times from Molina. In the eighth round, it was Soto who crushed Molina with a low blow that put him on the mat. Nady didn't take a point for that infraction, but he did take one from Soto when he hit Molina with yet another low blow in the 10th round. When they weren't hitting each other in the family jewels, Soto was getting the better of the action against the slower, more stationary Molina, who has never learned to move his head.

Mexico's Soto, 34, a former lightweight and junior lightweight titleholder, won his seventh fight in a row since Lucas Matthysse blew him away in five rounds in June 2012. Molina, 31, of Covina, California, lost his second fight in a row as he was coming off an 11th-round knockout loss to Matthysse in an extremely violent and action-packed fight of the year candidate against Matthysse in April.

Saturday at Manchester, England
Scott Quigg TKO3 Stephane Jamoye
Retains a junior featherweight title
Records: Quigg (29-0-2, 22 KOs); Jamoye (26-6, 16 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Quigg, 25, of England, was supposed to defend his secondary belt for the fourth time by facing former bantamweight titlist Paulus Ambunda. However, a hamstring injury knocked him out of the bout and Jamoye, 24, the former European bantamweight champion from Belgium, took the fight on two weeks' notice.

Jamoye has faced several quality opponents, but lost to them all, including Shinsuke Yamanaka (for a bantamweight world title in April), Leo Santa Cruz, Tomoki Kameda and Jamie McDonnell (all of whom later won versions of the bantamweight world title). Now Jamoye can add Quigg to the list after getting blown out and losing for the third time in four fights.

Quigg, the huge favorite, went to work on Jamoye's body from the start and that was how he eventually ended his night. In the third round, Quigg landed yet another flush right hand to his gut and Jamoye toppled to the mat on all fours. He got to his feet at the count of eight, but he was in no shape to continue and referee Terry O'Connor waved it over at 1 minute, 13 seconds.

The time has come for a huge U.K. fight between Quigg and Northern Ireland's Carl Frampton, who claimed his own version of the 122-pound title by looking terrific in dropping and outpointing Kiko Martinez on Sept. 6. This fight has to happen sooner than later, although Quigg's mandatory defense against American Chris Avalos could get in the way for the time being. But when Frampton-Quigg does happen, it will sell out a massive arena and it will also be a highly entertaining fight.

Anthony Crolla Tech. Draw Gamaliel Diaz
Lightweights
Records: Crolla (28-4-2, 11 KOs); Diaz (38-11-3, 17 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Crolla, 27, was fighting in his hometown and had the crowd fired up for his matchup with Diaz, 33, a former junior lightweight world titleholder from Mexico. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a big disappointment because of the abrupt and unfortunate ending. Crolla was on a nice three-fight run with wins against Gavin Rees, Stephen Foster and John Murray, before facing Diaz.

The fight was highly competitive through three rounds and the action solid when they clashed heads right at the bell to end the third round. Diaz was so shaken up by the butt that he went down to one knee near his corner and had a huge cut over his right eye. Diaz was unable to continue and referee Richie Davies called off the fight between rounds, making it a technical draw because four rounds were not completed. In the United States, the result would be a no decision.

Anthony Joshua TKO3 Konstantin Airich
Heavyweights
Records: Joshua (8-0, 8 KOs); Airich (21-10-2, 17 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Joshua, 24, of England, won the 2012 Olympic super heavyweight gold medal and is one of most significant prospects in boxing, a potential champion and box office star. So far, so good. Joshua's biggest need now is rounds since all of his fight had been won by first- or second-round knockout before he faced Airich, a very experienced fighter who has faced good opposition (Czar Glazkov, Odlanier Solis and Manuel Charr). Airich managed to take Joshua into the third round for the first time.

But Joshua, who spent time training for the fight and sparring with heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko, looked good displaying a diverse arsenal. His jab was strong and he landed good right hands and combinations as he plowed his way to winning the first two rounds. In the third round, two right hands badly hurt Airich, who went into the ropes. Joshua landed several more punches to knock him down, including an uncalled for shot while he was on the deck. Airich beat the count and referee Steve Gray gave Joshua a hard warning about the foul and the fight continued. Briefly. Joshua knocked him into the ropes with a booming right hand and then blasted him with a left hand during the closing sequence as Gray called off the fight at 1 minute, 16 seconds.

Airich, 35, a native of Kazakhstan based in Germany, lost his second fight in a row. Joshua is getting right back to business as he is scheduled to fight again on Oct. 11 in London on the undercard of the featherweight title eliminator between Lee Selby and Joel Brunker.

Thursday at Las Vegas
Luis Ortiz TKO1 Lateef Kayode
Wins vacant interim heavyweight title
Records: Ortiz (22-0, 19 KOs); Kayode (20-1, 16 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: On paper, this looked like an interesting heavyweight fight even though it was preposterously for an interim title, making it the third belt given out by an organization that already has the great Wladimir Klitschko as its champion and Ruslan Chagaev as a secondary titleholder. Ortiz and Kayode were totally unaccomplished as professional heavyweights. Neither had ever scored anything close to a notable win, unless you count Ortiz's knockout of Monte Barrett, who hadn't been relevant for about a decade and was coming off a two-year layoff.

All that said, Ortiz, a 6-foot-4, 234-pound southpaw, at least was very impressive in destroying Kayode, who was barely a decent fringe contender when he was fighting at cruiserweight. This fight was over and over quick as Ortiz, 35, a Cuban defector living in Miami, knocked Kayode down with a fierce left hand moments into the fight and then trapped him in a corner and blasted away with more than a dozen unanswered punches, leaving referee Robert Byrd no choice but to call off the fight. Kayode, 31, a native of Nigeria living in Los Angeles, complained about the stoppage but he was getting abused and not throwing back. Byrd could have stopped it even sooner.

The upshot of this fight is that Ortiz got a marginal belt and will be ordered to face Chagaev. But the important thing is that at least Ortiz was explosive and adds his name to the short list of heavyweights you'd have to be interested in watching again. Kayode? Not so much.

Jesus Cuellar KO2 Juan Manuel Lopez
Retains an interim featherweight title
Records: Cuellar (25-1, 19 KOs); Lopez (34-5, 31 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: This was something of a coming out party for Cuellar, 27, of Argentina, and the final nail in the coffin of the career for Lopez, the 31-year-old former featherweight and junior featherweight titlist, who is now nothing more than a shot fighter with no ability to take a punch whatsoever. He has been badly knocked out in three of his past four fights.

From about 2008 to 2011, Lopez was one of the best, most exciting and dynamic fighters in boxing. But he was never the same after his two fights with Orlando Salido, who drilled him in two featherweight title bouts. A knockout loss to Mikey Garcia in 2013 looked like the end, but Lopez fought on, fooling some into believing he was still viable when he stopped the even more shot former titlist Daniel Ponce De Leon in the second round of their rematch in March. But then a third-round plastering by Francisco Vargas came in a July junior lightweight bout. And two months later, Lopez returned to featherweight -- and absurdly was rewarded with a shot at an interim belt -- and got absolutely waxed in scary fashion by Cuellar, who put a nice name on his record as he scored a sensational knockout on national television.

Cuellar, making the second defense of his belt (from an organization that has three titlists in the same weight class), dominated the first round and then blitzed Lopez with a heavy combination to drop him face first in the second round as referee Tony Weeks immediately waved off the fight at 1 minute, 36 seconds.

This should most definitely be the end for Lopez, who was a 2004 Olympian. Anyone who allows him to fight again could have blood on their hands. That's how far gone he is.

Jermall Charlo TKO7 Norberto Gonzalez
Middleweights
Records: Charlo (19-0, 15 KOs); Gonzalez (20-5, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Charlo, 24, of Houston -- and the twin brother of fellow rising contender Jermell Charlo -- hammered Mexico's Gonzalez, 33, throughout the fight. It was totally one-sided. Charlo battered Gonzalez relentlessly until his corner threw in the towel during the seventh round and referee Kenny Bayless stopped it at 1 minute, 23 seconds. It could have been stopped sooner.

Charlo lost a point for a low blow in the fourth round, but it hardly mattered. Charlo scored the only knockdown of the fight in the fifth round on a straight right hand. Gonzalez was hurt and somehow survived the final seconds of the round when Charlo was all over him. A title shot could be in the not-too-distant future for Charlo.

There were several prospects and more well-known fighters on the card. Philadelphia junior middleweight Julian Williams (17-0-1, 10 KOs) outpointed Puerto Rico's Eliezer Gonzalez (14-1, 9 KOs) 80-72 on all three scorecards; welterweight Errol Spence (14-0, 11 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from DeSoto, Texas, stopped Mexico's Noe Bolanos (26-11-1, 16 KOs) at the end of the second when Bolanos quit because of a hand injury; Riverside, California, welterweight Josesito Lopez (33-6, 19 KOs) cruised to a shutout eight-round decision against Mexico's Rafael Cobos (15-5-5, 3 KOs), winning 80-72 on all three scorecards to put himself in position as a possible Amir Khan opponent in December; and lightweight Jamel Herring (9-0, 6 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from Rockville, New York, knocked out Luis Pelayo (11-5-1, 6 KOs) of Mexico at 1 minute, 4 seconds of the second round.

Wondering if mayweather would fight kell brook... it would be a good fight since hes undefeated and a champion so floyd can steal that belt too

I doubt it unfortunately. I sadly think it's going to be Khan in May. Think he'll be shocked to see the Brit fans won't travel for Khan like they did for Ricky.

I doubt it unfortunately. I sadly think it's going to be Khan in May. Think he'll be shocked to see the Brit fans won't travel for Khan like they did for Ricky.

Yup, I don't even think Brits would flock to Khan Vs. Brook like they did Froch Vs. Groves at Wembley.

I bet they won't release the PPV numbers for Maidana Mayweather 2 yet they were quick to release those numbers when Mayweather fought Canelo

Back
Top Bottom