Please lock.

pimp.gif

Can't wait.

the atmosphere is crazy at mgm on a boxing weekend in vegas. especially during a mayweather fight. enjoying this atm :pimp:

Quick thoughts on prospects from the 4/20 D.C. card. I've seen Browne and Ali live twice now. I was worried about Ali's power translating against stiffer welterweight opposition, but the KO shot he landed on Clark was off-balance meaning some of my concern is alleviated. I wanted to see Browne box more this time time around, he was headhunting with power shots in December 2013 at Barclays. He does fall victim to lulls, like in Rounds 3 and 4 versus Griffin.

First time seeing Zachary Ochoa. Hand speed advantage is evident. Didn't think Ochoa had significant pop, but he proved me wrong even though Marengo had mentally quit by Round 5 and was looking to his corner to stop it.

Lamont Roach, Jr., made his professional debut at the Armory. Crowd was backing him heavy, being from D.C. and all. He has power in his left (and right) hook(s). Didn't get the finish but still whooped on Galindo in 4 rounds. 40-36 easy if not a 40-35 after a possible 10-8 round in the fourth.

Round-by-round analysis from ringside for those interested below.

Browne:
http://ultimatemixedmartialartsblog...-otis-triple-og-griffin-vs-sir-marcus-browne/

Ali:
http://ultimatemixedmartialartsblog...hael-cold-blood-clark-vs-sadam-world-kid-ali/

Ochoa:
http://ultimatemixedmartialartsblog...3/april-20th-hector-marengo-vs-zachary-ochoa/

Roach:
http://ultimatemixedmartialartsblog...april-20th-victor-galindo-vs-lamont-roach-jr/

Even if Floyd is just trying to get in Maidana's head, he looks foolish with this glove BS. I understand the issue with the custom gloves, but trying to force him to wear Grant gloves when the NSAC okayed the stock Everlasts.

Adding to the feminine ways. Why not just have a 32 million dollar pillow fight or tickle war?

Last edited:
Nah, the first pair wasn't approved by the NSAC.  The second pair was, but Floyd's camp disagreed with the ruling on the second pair.

The first pair did look flimsy but that 2nd pair looked good to go.

And they said no to a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves? C'mon now......

This is getting silly man. I love Floyd man but he's got to realize that since he didn't negotiate gloves into the contract how he feels does not ******* matter. He's fighting a guy with an 81% KO percentage and he's trying to mitigate really the only advantage Maidana has in this fight.

At this point man Floyd is making himself look foolish as hell. Either he's worried about Maidana's power or he's trying to stir up controversy/drama to fetch a couple more PPV buys.

Last edited:
 Either he's worried about Maidana's power or he's trying to stir up controversy/drama to fetch a couple more PPV buys.
He been hyping up Maidana the entire time for these views. Every opportunity he got to talk about Maidana, he was trying to talk him up to make this fight look like it's goona be more fair. Maidana isn't a bad fighter, but he's definitely not on Floyd's level. This should pretty easily go to Floyd.

The glove thing is funny though.

He been hyping up Maidana the entire time for these views. Every opportunity he got to talk about Maidana, he was trying to talk him up to make this fight look like it's goona be more fair. Maidana isn't a bad fighter, but he's definitely not on Floyd's level. This should pretty easily go to Floyd.

The glove thing is funny though.

It should go Mayweather's way, absolutely. I'm not suggesting otherwise in the post you quoted.

But here's my thing......

Looking at it from a bettors perspective, or just from an objective fight-fan's perspective, if there's a guy out there who can beat Floyd it's not going to be via outboxing the man. Nobody on God's green earth is going to win a decision against Floyd, nobody. Not Manny, not Danny Garcia, not Amir khan, and certainly not Marcos Rene Maidana.

The only way anybody has a shot at beating Floyd is by outright leveling him, separating him from his senses. And I think in Floyd's mind, he knows that perhaps the best man to do that is probably the guy who he's facing tonight.

All it takes is one punch. It doesn't matter how many punches you slip, doesn't matter how many you parry, doesn't matter how beautifully you've defensively boxed for the past x rounds because all it takes is one, just one punch to undo all that beautiful slipping/parrying/defensive boxing.

But the same time Floyd has to realize that this is the nature of the game he plays and he just cannot ask to have everything go his way when contractually it was never negotiated. And if this is a means (at least in Floyd's mind) to mitigate the ONLY thing Maidana has going for him in this fight then as big a Floyd fan as I am I just can't agree with that.

It's one thing to take exception to a suspect pair of gloves, it's another thing to force Maidana to wear a pair of Grant gloves that he isn't accustomed to. If Maidana comes out wearing anything but those red Everlasts that the NSAC approved of, if he's coming out wearing the same gloves as Floyd I'll be a bit disappointed.

I want Floyd to win but at the same time this isn't competition crochet. This is boxing, this is a bloodsport, it is violent, it is dangerous and it can change a man. I'm all for keeping PEDs out, all for VADA testing, all for pretty much everything Floyd demands of his opponents but this glove this is just nonsensical. I just hope he's doing this to add a bit of drama. With Floyd you can't really tell, the man is a showman/entertainer to the end. :lol:

Last edited:
This is an interesting analysis of Robert Garcia and the whole situation. 

All pertinent points in this video.

Good listen.

And yeah Robert Garcia is a dirty ****. Should be investigated about those blue Everlasts.....

But the one point he fails to address is the Red Everlasts that were approved by the NSAC, and didn't look to be tampered with or doctored, or the subsequent Cleto Reyes gloves that were allegedly discussed and also were taken exception with by the Mayweather camp.

The red gloves' padding did indeed look more robust and I think they (at least by simply giving them an eye test) were sufficient. Who knows what condition the Reyes gloves that were discussed were in.

And while I agree with most everything in the video, I don't think Maidana should have to wear the Grant gloves when the NSAC approved the red gloves. The blue gloves looked suspect but I mean what's the issue with the red Everlasts and the subsequent Reyes gloves? That's all I'd like to know at this point.

There was no issue with the red everlast gloves.

The issue was the Argentinian custom painted gloves.

It's over with, been over with since last night when the commission okay'd the everlast mx.
_________
Is this the same Carlos Molina who barely beat Ishe smith last sho Ppv?

[quote name="from sherdog's forums"=]
-MX Gloves have hardly any padding on them with a combination of horse hair and foam. The horse hair makes for a thinner more compact padding. All custom Everlast gloves are made exactly the same. Only difference being paint color

-All fight night gloves are shipped directly to the commission. No one including team Maidana had access to the gloves before the controversy.

-The blue gloves and the red gloves are the exact same glove. No difference, shipped directly from Everlast. The difference in packaging caused the outcry. Due to the painting of the custom gloves they were shipped in Suran Wrap. The re gloves shipped in air tight seal

-The NAC was never told about the custom colored gloves, and because of the complaint decided to not allow the blue gloves. NOTHING TO DO WITH PADDING. Therefore the red standard MX gloves were then approved.

-Ellerbe inspected the blue gloves said no, Mayweather followed suit. They then compared the red gloves, and as they found out their was no difference, and Mayweather said "He can use the same as me"

-Ellerbe and TMT then late last night went on a crusade to ban horse hair in gloves, without realizing that some Grants use horse hair as well as many other gloves. Many top boxers use the exact MX gloves Maidana wants to use and has used in his last 4 fights. Cotto used the 10oz MXgloves vs Mayweather in 2012.

-Now the only gloves TMT will approve are Grants, However nothing in the contract states they can dictate gloves. TherefOre Maidana can wear the red mx gloves and Mayweather is liable for pulling out of the fight.[/quote]

The above is from the sherdog forums in a thread on the controversy.

View media item 952529
Australia's best Thai boxer posted this on Instagram. LOL.

Kevin Iole just posted per the NSAC Maidana will be wearing foam based Everlast gloves. Apparently Floyd cried enough or has enough clout with them and Maidana will be compensated.

This should lose a lot of respect for Floyd. Scared of a puncher and doing everything he can to keep an undefeated record. I hope Maidana elbows him and gets dirty.

Last edited:
:smh: Wow Floyd....

Anyways all that still doesn't address why the blue custom MX's looked significantly more broken in/worn than their red counterparts.

But w/e no excuses now. Floyd got his way. Let's hope for a great fight. Let's PBF, no excuses champ.

Edit: Reportedly the gloves Maidana will be wearing are confirmed NOT to be either the blue custom MXs or the red MXs but the Everlast Powerlocks.

Last edited:
The earlier post said the blue gloves were delivered in Saran Wrap and not air tight like the red MX gloves were. Exposure to air is exposure to moisture which can cause wrinkles. It's a perfectly acceptable reason to see why the blue gloves looked they way they do.

The earlier post said the blue gloves were delivered in Saran Wrap and not air tight like the red MX gloves were. Exposure to air is exposure to moisture which can cause wrinkles. It's a perfectly acceptable reason to see why the blue gloves looked they way they do.
More of how it felt was the problem, not how it looked. Floyd and his crew tried on the glove and felt the lack of padding, so I mean...it's not like they just looked and thought it wasn't padded. Floyd got no excuses though.

Last edited:
More of how it felt was the problem, not how it looked. Floyd and his crew tried on the glove and felt the lack of padding, so I mean...it's not like they just looked and thought it wasn't padded. Floyd got no excuses though.

Exactly, it wasn't just an issue of appearance but feel.

Both were suspect.

It's all moot as now Maidana will be wearing neither the blue custom or red MX Everlasts but the Powerlock Everlasts.

Back
Top Bottom