Please lock.

Floyd Mayweather I Am Focused On Manny Pacquiao A…:

Only thing that appears to be stopping it now is bob arum not taking the May 2nd date. Making excuses about it being a Mexican holiday AS IF HE GIVES A ****. :lol: just make the fight. Pacquiao said he'd fight for free so not taking a 66 33 split or whatever it was is no longer an excuse.

WBC sets mandatories, pushes Floyd-Pac

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/11434/wbc-sets-mandatories-pushes-floyd-pac

The 52nd annual WBC convention is going on this week at the Mirage in Las Vegas, and while I have little use for the sanctioning organization -- one which regularly breaks its own rules -- one element of the convention is significant because it has a direct impact on fights that fans will see.

It comes when spending a day dealing with mandatory defenses in each division.

So here is a division-by-division rundown of what to look for in each weight class as it relates to the WBC’s title. Keep in mind, this is what the WBC has ruled but does not mean the fighters and their handlers won’t go in another direction.

Heavyweight: Titleholder Bermane Stiverne must make two mandatory defenses as he won a vacant title in May. He meets Deontay Wilder on Jan. 17 and then the winner must face Bryant Jennings. Because Jennings is likely going to challenge champion Wladimir Klitschko for his other alphabet belts on April 25, a final eliminator between Alexander Povetkin and Mike Perez was ordered to determine the second mandatory.

Cruiserweight: Thabiso Mchunu and Ilungu Makubu were ordered to meet in a final eliminator to determine the mandatory challenger for titleholder Grigory Drozd.

Light heavyweight: Champion Adonis Stevenson has an optional defense against Dmitry Sukhotsky on Friday night and the winner can take one more optional defense. But, in a highly unusual move, the WBC accepted a proposal made by Main Events promoter Kathy Duva that the winner of the March 14 fight between three-belt titlist Sergey Kovalev and former champion Jean Pascal become the WBC mandatory challenger. Organizations typically do not rank titleholders from other organizations, but the WBC made an exception -- and a welcome one -- in an effort to force Stevenson into fighting the Kovalev-Pascal winner. If the sides do not make a deal and it goes to a purse bid the split will be 50-50, another highly unusual move because usually a WBC titleholder is entitled to no less than 60 percent in a purse bid.

Super middleweight: Titleholder Anthony Dirrell is expected to make an optional defense in February with the winner obligated to make a mandatory defense against George Groves in the next fight.

Middleweight: Champion Miguel Cotto is allowed an optional defense, likely against Canelo Alvarez on May 2. Titleholder Gennady Golovkin, who is also the WBC’s interim titleholder, faces Martin Murray on Feb. 21. The Golovkin-Murray winner will be the mandatory challenger for the winner of Cotto’s next fight, be it against Alvarez or somebody else.

Junior middleweight/welterweight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. holds both WBC belts. Promoter Sampson Lewkowicz proposed an eight-man tournament in each weight division to determine the mandatory challengers, which was approved by the WBC Board of Governors. Nice idea, but it has almost no chance of coming off as planned. Nonetheless, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman commented on it as it relates to a Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight.

“The WBC has participated to allow and encourage in every way the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight to take place,” he said. “The WBC has not set any obstacles or conditions for the fight to take place. The WBC has approved to have a dual championship for the welterweight and (junior middleweight) divisions. Floyd Mayweather is confirmed to hold both titles, and there is no mandatory in either division until we can finalize if he is fighting Pacquiao. There are proposed tournaments to take place in both divisions to keep both divisions active, and to eventually determine the mandatory challengers."

Junior welterweight: Champion Danny Garcia has a step-aside deal in place with mandatory challenger Viktor Postol. The winner of Garcia’s voluntary defense, which has no date or opponent yet, is required to fight Postol next.

Lightweight: Jorge Linares and Javier Prieto fight for the vacant belt Dec. 30. Final eliminators were approved to determine the two mandatory challengers, one between Hank Lundy and Dejan Zlaticanin and one between Daniel Estrada and Kevin Mitchell, which is scheduled for Jan. 31.

Junior lightweight: Titleholder Takashi Miura is in an optional stage and the WBC approved a fight between Stephen Smith and Javier Fortuna for the No. 1 ranking.

Featherweight: Since there has been no mandatory defense for more than two years, two eliminators are on tap with the winners supposedly to face titleholder Jhonny Gonzalez. The winner of the Jan. 26 fight between Rocky Juarez and Robinson Castellanos will be one challenger. The next challenger is supposed to be the winner of a fight between Marvin Sonsona and Jayson Velez, which is not scheduled yet.

Junior featherweight: Titleholder Leo Santa Cruz will have to make a mandatory defense against the winner of a March 14 fight between Andres Gutierrez and Hugo Ruiz of Mexico.

Bantamweight: Titleholder Shinsuke Yamanaka is in his voluntary defense period and there is no mandatory yet.

Junior bantamweight: A final eliminator between Srisaket Sor Rungvisai and Jose Salgado was approved. The winner of the unscheduled bout will be mandatory for Carlos Cuadras.

Flyweight: Nawaphon Sor Rungvisai and Edgar Sosa were approved to fight a final eliminator to become champion Roman Gonzalez’s mandatory.

Junior flyweight: Pedro Guevara faces Akira Yaegashi for the vacant title on Dec. 30. A final eliminator to determine the mandatory challenger for the winner was also approved. It will be a fight between Jonathan Inguito Taconing and either Ganigan Lopez or Adrian Hernandez.

Strawweight: Titleholder Wanheng Menayothin is in a voluntary stage until November. A final eliminator between Carlos Ortega and Denver Cuello was approved.

Last edited:
Question: How do I not know whether or not Wilder-Stiverne is official yet?

I am picking Stiverne btw.

Interesting matchup. Stiverne's is so sluggish on his feet that I think it might be difficult for him to get in range against the height, reach, and speed of Wilder. I mean look at his performance Austin where he looked completely mediocre in a fight that was close to even before he got the stoppage. On the other hand Wilder can get sloppy and leave himself open and has a suspect chin so I think Stiverne could catch Wilder with a counter when he goes on the attack.

I'm going to go with Wilder by stoppage within the first few rounds but wouldn't be shocked either if Stiverne got a stoppage himself.

I'm rolling with Stiverne as well. Better boxer and good counter puncher. I'm still not sold on Wilder' chin. He's got power I'll give him that but his legs look like toothpicks. One stiff counter from Stiverne I feel like his legs are gone.

Who is on Wilders resume? I havent seen him fight a quality opponent yet.

Glad to see he is stepping up finally

On another note, I wasn't surprised to see Matthysse/Molina win fight of the year.

I personally enjoyed a few other fights like Guerrero/Kemagi and Algieri/Provod more but I thought the best fight was Crawford/Gamboa.

Last edited:
Sounds like Stevenson did his thing.

Hopefully Sergei does the same vs. Pascal and we can see these 2 square off already.

It looks like nobody watched tonight's fights?

Was the card really worth checking out?

It was predictable with some pretty good action. That Beterbiev dude looks legit, but needs to step up his competition soon. Same goes for Stevenson. They said that Direll is the mandatory for Froch's belt, but it's not a fight Froch is going after now.

I am actually rooting for Pascal to defeat Kovalev. Realistically I don't think Pascal will win unless he is at the very top of his game. But it should be a very interesting fight nonetheless.

Last edited:
It was predictable with some pretty good action. That Beterbiev dude looks legit, but needs to step up his competition soon. Same goes for Stevenson. They said that Direll is the mandatory for Froch's belt, but it's not a fight Froch is going after now.

I am actually rooting for Pascal to defeat Kovalev. Realistically I don't think Pascal will win unless he is at the very top of his game. But it should be a very interesting fight nonetheless.
Main reason I didn't check it out was because it just seemed like a card full of tuneup fights.

Isn't Froch is going after the JCC Jr. fight?  I'd rather see that than Froch Vs. Dirrell.

I'm rooting for Kovalev because I want to see him Vs. Stevenson.  I wouldn't mind seeing Pascal Vs. Hopkins for the third time after the Kovalev fight
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Yeah, Ward isn't scared of GGG. He said he'd take the fight, while Golovkin said he isn't ready.

I actually believe Golovkin is ready, but undersized and doesn't need to move up in weight at this point. Honestly, he could probably cut down to another weightclass easily without losing any size or power.

Back
Top Bottom