*[Portland Trail Blazers]* Official Thread - 2012 Season has Begun!

Nuggets want Batum.
laugh.gif
 at them thinking we'd give him up.
Maybe we could get Devin Harris though? Dont know if I like the idea of losing Batum + Miller for him though. Well, Miller yeah... Batum not sure.
Sources said that the Nuggets have registered strong interest in Blazers swingman Nicolas Batum and would naturally be unable to resist if a trade scenario emerged that enabled them to acquire Favors, Batum and future draft considerations. But the Blazers, sources said, continue to tell the Nuggets and all other interested parties (and yes, it's a long line) that Batum is not available.

The Blazers do like Harris and almost crashed the September four-teamer with an offer to send Andre Miller to Charlotte to get the Nets' point guard, who was originally Bobcats-bound. But the Blazers dread the idea of parting with the blossoming Batum, especially in a deal that the Blazers don't end up with the best player.

via Mark Stein's ESPN blog halfway down the page.

Nuggets want Batum.
laugh.gif
 at them thinking we'd give him up.
Maybe we could get Devin Harris though? Dont know if I like the idea of losing Batum + Miller for him though. Well, Miller yeah... Batum not sure.
Sources said that the Nuggets have registered strong interest in Blazers swingman Nicolas Batum and would naturally be unable to resist if a trade scenario emerged that enabled them to acquire Favors, Batum and future draft considerations. But the Blazers, sources said, continue to tell the Nuggets and all other interested parties (and yes, it's a long line) that Batum is not available.

The Blazers do like Harris and almost crashed the September four-teamer with an offer to send Andre Miller to Charlotte to get the Nets' point guard, who was originally Bobcats-bound. But the Blazers dread the idea of parting with the blossoming Batum, especially in a deal that the Blazers don't end up with the best player.

via Mark Stein's ESPN blog halfway down the page.

I'm excited there is finally a Blazer season thread!!! I almost missed it. Now we just have to keep it alive....

With that said; Big game tonight against Amare and the Knicks. So far a good start. I cant wait until we can return some Big men. The young guys (matthews and johnson) have looked good so far. I'm happily surprised by Rudy as well, he seems to actually be enjoying playing and that in turn has helped him relax and make some buckets. It has always been a confidence thing with him. BRoy is BRoy, and will get his. LA need to continue to improve..... still.

I'll end there, its almost gametime.

RIP CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited there is finally a Blazer season thread!!! I almost missed it. Now we just have to keep it alive....

With that said; Big game tonight against Amare and the Knicks. So far a good start. I cant wait until we can return some Big men. The young guys (matthews and johnson) have looked good so far. I'm happily surprised by Rudy as well, he seems to actually be enjoying playing and that in turn has helped him relax and make some buckets. It has always been a confidence thing with him. BRoy is BRoy, and will get his. LA need to continue to improve..... still.

I'll end there, its almost gametime.

RIP CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i gotta admit today andre played well...3-0 baby! lets make a 5-0 after this road trip

i gotta admit today andre played well...3-0 baby! lets make a 5-0 after this road trip

Glad to see a thread like this.  My entire family, in-laws and all are Spurs fans, except me and my middle son. Been a fan since Clyde had the red 'Roos,, we had Buck, Terry Porter, Duckworth, hell even Cliff Robinson. Been through many dissapointing losses, i.e. the Memorial Day Miracle vs. the Spurs, the meltdown at the Forum when we had come back from a 3-0 deficit and were leading the Lakers in the 4th qtr when the Kobe-Shaq alley oop happened. Didn't catch last night's game, but I did watch the first 2 and they looked sharp.  Now I moved to Ft. Lewis, and the Blazers are the only team for miles! Hope to catch some games.

Glad to see a thread like this.  My entire family, in-laws and all are Spurs fans, except me and my middle son. Been a fan since Clyde had the red 'Roos,, we had Buck, Terry Porter, Duckworth, hell even Cliff Robinson. Been through many dissapointing losses, i.e. the Memorial Day Miracle vs. the Spurs, the meltdown at the Forum when we had come back from a 3-0 deficit and were leading the Lakers in the 4th qtr when the Kobe-Shaq alley oop happened. Didn't catch last night's game, but I did watch the first 2 and they looked sharp.  Now I moved to Ft. Lewis, and the Blazers are the only team for miles! Hope to catch some games.

Maurice Lucas died yesterday at age 58. Gone way too soon
tired.gif

Story,
Spoiler [+]
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Maurice Lucas, the fierce power forward known as "The Enforcer" who helped lead the Portland Trail Blazers to the 1977 NBA title, has died after a long fight with bladder cancer. He was 58.

Lucas, who in later years was an assistant coach with the Blazers, died Sunday at his home in Portland, the team said.

Lucas joined Portland in the 1976 ABA dispersal draft and averaged a team-high 20.2 points and grabbed 11.2 rebounds per game in the 1976-77 championship season. His No. 20 was retired by the Blazers in 1988.

At public appearances, fans often greeted Lucas with cries of "Luuuuuuke!" His competitive demeanor on the court was in contrast to his gentle nature off it.

"We have lost a champion of a man," Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan said in a statement. "Maurice was a great man and a great friend. He battled his illness like the warrior he was on the basketball court."

Lucas served as an assistant coach with the Blazers for six seasons, but last year he left the team to undergo surgery before suffering a setback last November. He did not return to coaching this season.

The former Marquette player averaged 14.4 points and 8.8 rebounds in 12 NBA seasons with Portland, New Jersey, New York, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Seattle. In two seasons in the ABA with St. Louis and Kentucky, he averaged 15.2 points and 10.8 rebounds.

He was a five-time All-Star.

Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen also praised Lucas in a statement released late Sunday night.

"Maurice Lucas was an amazing man and I count myself lucky to have known him. We all -- players, coaches, the owner and the fans -- were made better by having Maurice a part of our team, whether playing on the championship team or, most recently as an assistant coach.

"He was one of the greatest Blazers ever."

Prior to last season, an interview with Lucas was posted on the Trail Blazers' official website, covering topics including his health, his work with center Greg Oden and the team's 40th anniversary.

"The one thing that I'm finding is an issue for me is learning patience, being patient with myself. I'm trying to understand what this process is all about. It takes a little longer amount of time than I'd like it to take in order to recover," Lucas said. "But it is what it is and I'm not in charge of it. I've just got to play my role, be patient, feed myself well, take the right meds and see if I can get back on track."

Lucas led Marquette to the 1974 NCAA title game against North Carolina State and was selected to the All-Final Four team along with future Portland teammate Bill Walton. The 6-foot-9 former Pittsburgh high school star averaged 15.8 points and 10.6 rebounds as a junior that season.

Marquette also retired his No. 20 and inducted him into its Hall of Fame, and Walton named his son Luke, who currently plays for the Lakers, after him.

"I hadn't seen him as much lately, but he and my dad still talked all the time," Luke Walton said. "From what I heard, he had been in some pain for a while. It's tough. He's a great guy."

The Trail Blazers were in the midst of a four-game trip, with a game against the Chicago Bulls on Monday night.

"We were so fortunate to have his influence on the young men on this team. He was my mentor, my big brother, and I always knew he had my back. He has left us far too soon," McMillan said.

Lucas is survived by wife Pamela, sons David and Maurice II and daughter Kristin. Funeral arrangements were yet to be determined.

ESPN link

Maurice Lucas died yesterday at age 58. Gone way too soon
tired.gif

Story,
Spoiler [+]
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Maurice Lucas, the fierce power forward known as "The Enforcer" who helped lead the Portland Trail Blazers to the 1977 NBA title, has died after a long fight with bladder cancer. He was 58.

Lucas, who in later years was an assistant coach with the Blazers, died Sunday at his home in Portland, the team said.

Lucas joined Portland in the 1976 ABA dispersal draft and averaged a team-high 20.2 points and grabbed 11.2 rebounds per game in the 1976-77 championship season. His No. 20 was retired by the Blazers in 1988.

At public appearances, fans often greeted Lucas with cries of "Luuuuuuke!" His competitive demeanor on the court was in contrast to his gentle nature off it.

"We have lost a champion of a man," Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan said in a statement. "Maurice was a great man and a great friend. He battled his illness like the warrior he was on the basketball court."

Lucas served as an assistant coach with the Blazers for six seasons, but last year he left the team to undergo surgery before suffering a setback last November. He did not return to coaching this season.

The former Marquette player averaged 14.4 points and 8.8 rebounds in 12 NBA seasons with Portland, New Jersey, New York, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Seattle. In two seasons in the ABA with St. Louis and Kentucky, he averaged 15.2 points and 10.8 rebounds.

He was a five-time All-Star.

Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen also praised Lucas in a statement released late Sunday night.

"Maurice Lucas was an amazing man and I count myself lucky to have known him. We all -- players, coaches, the owner and the fans -- were made better by having Maurice a part of our team, whether playing on the championship team or, most recently as an assistant coach.

"He was one of the greatest Blazers ever."

Prior to last season, an interview with Lucas was posted on the Trail Blazers' official website, covering topics including his health, his work with center Greg Oden and the team's 40th anniversary.

"The one thing that I'm finding is an issue for me is learning patience, being patient with myself. I'm trying to understand what this process is all about. It takes a little longer amount of time than I'd like it to take in order to recover," Lucas said. "But it is what it is and I'm not in charge of it. I've just got to play my role, be patient, feed myself well, take the right meds and see if I can get back on track."

Lucas led Marquette to the 1974 NCAA title game against North Carolina State and was selected to the All-Final Four team along with future Portland teammate Bill Walton. The 6-foot-9 former Pittsburgh high school star averaged 15.8 points and 10.6 rebounds as a junior that season.

Marquette also retired his No. 20 and inducted him into its Hall of Fame, and Walton named his son Luke, who currently plays for the Lakers, after him.

"I hadn't seen him as much lately, but he and my dad still talked all the time," Luke Walton said. "From what I heard, he had been in some pain for a while. It's tough. He's a great guy."

The Trail Blazers were in the midst of a four-game trip, with a game against the Chicago Bulls on Monday night.

"We were so fortunate to have his influence on the young men on this team. He was my mentor, my big brother, and I always knew he had my back. He has left us far too soon," McMillan said.

Lucas is survived by wife Pamela, sons David and Maurice II and daughter Kristin. Funeral arrangements were yet to be determined.

ESPN link

RIP MO LUCAS........... didn't even know until I turned the game on. You will be miss, my thoughts and prayers go out to the Lucas family.

On a brighter note, good win in NY the other day. Another win tonight vs the Bulls would be awesome. I feel like Portland has been playing pretty well lately, especially in the 4th quarter. I think we should be able to pull this one out, Boozer being out doesn't hurt either.

RIP CITY GO BLAZERS

RIP MO LUCAS........... didn't even know until I turned the game on. You will be miss, my thoughts and prayers go out to the Lucas family.

On a brighter note, good win in NY the other day. Another win tonight vs the Bulls would be awesome. I feel like Portland has been playing pretty well lately, especially in the 4th quarter. I think we should be able to pull this one out, Boozer being out doesn't hurt either.

RIP CITY GO BLAZERS

We haven't been able to make a bucket this first half. Going into the half down 9 is good compared to what it should be. Finally seeing a little spark on defense which has helped create offense. Roy hasn't done a whole lot but he is usually a second half player anyways. Thank God for LA though, he has been carrying us. All in all i feel pretty good, shots will fall eventually and I'm confident the Blazers will put together a run in the third quarter to take the lead and then close it out in the 4th.

!+@ is up with Deng!? Guy looks like he has been making shots all year! Somebody needs to tell him that he really shouldn't be playing this well so he can start missing.

We haven't been able to make a bucket this first half. Going into the half down 9 is good compared to what it should be. Finally seeing a little spark on defense which has helped create offense. Roy hasn't done a whole lot but he is usually a second half player anyways. Thank God for LA though, he has been carrying us. All in all i feel pretty good, shots will fall eventually and I'm confident the Blazers will put together a run in the third quarter to take the lead and then close it out in the 4th.

!+@ is up with Deng!? Guy looks like he has been making shots all year! Somebody needs to tell him that he really shouldn't be playing this well so he can start missing.

We have been all night. This is when you really miss a strong inside presence.

That offensive foul call on rudy? whack

If there is any hope the Blazers need to play some real aggressive defense.

We have been all night. This is when you really miss a strong inside presence.

That offensive foul call on rudy? whack

If there is any hope the Blazers need to play some real aggressive defense.

That team that was out there tonight is what I was expecting the first part of this season, they sucked. No attacking the basket, throwing up jumpshots, not getting to the line, they aren't going to win anything playing that way. Time to get more assertive and drive the damn ball
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom