\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

997.2 Carrera GTS will be collector car gold in 10-20 years.

16026158507ecc68d4c195b4632012-911-GTS-BaT-photoshoot-reordered-7-of-142-scaled.jpeg

all valid points. i've wanted a M3 since high school, but just never got around to it. wasnt a fan of the E9X. i like the F82, since it sort of resembles the E46. the back seat is also better suited for a car seat than the 997.

BUT a 911 is a 911. the 997 is a modern classic and will definitely continue to appreciate. i just dont know if i can go back to 2009 tech in my "daily driver" LOL.

i'm honestly 50/50. the draw to the F82 is that its a bit more practical for my use, whereas a 911 is definitely more of a luxury. idfk man. i'll just buy both and maybe my wife wont murder me...
F82 will be a better daily driver it’s a much newer car and much faster than a 997 (non gt3)
especially if you’re going to dd it and the car has so much potential if you’re looking for more power.

TBH I wouldn't daily drive any M car that wasn't a lease.

They're all ticking time bombs, every single one.

Not that they're bad, but they are temperamental and need lots of love. They also depreciate to the ground with miles on them because, well, it's a known thing that they're time bombs.

Buy from carmax with their crazy extended warranty.

Been thinking about buying another car and trying to find a low mileage e39 530i
41762-large.jpg

Can't go wrong. Try to find one with the sport package and a manual transmission...They are holding their value very well with enthusiasts so prices are wild if you look on BAT...But if you do a lot of searching you will find one eventually...But they go FAST.

A silver 530i manual with the sport package came up for sale about 3-4 hours from me. The minute the dealer opened, I got in touch with them. It was a 1 owner, only like 68k miles I think. I was texting with the dealership and she sent me a Carfax...I literally took 30 seconds to glance over the Carfax and in that time it sold. I was fuming and still think about that a lot lol. I'm happy with my E39 540i, but honestly I was looking for a 530i...The BMW straight six is GOAT.

Can't go wrong. Try to find one with the sport package and a manual transmission...They are holding their value very well with enthusiasts so prices are wild if you look on BAT...But if you do a lot of searching you will find one eventually...But they go FAST.

A silver 530i manual with the sport package came up for sale about 3-4 hours from me. The minute the dealer opened, I got in touch with them. It was a 1 owner, only like 68k miles I think. I was texting with the dealership and she sent me a Carfax...I literally took 30 seconds to glance over the Carfax and in that time it sold. I was fuming and still think about that a lot lol. I'm happy with my E39 540i, but honestly I was looking for a 530i...The BMW straight six is GOAT.
I feel you found a blue water metallic e39 w the sport package for sale on auto trader and when I was ready to call in the morning about it, had just been sold. Def want to go w a straight six, the M54B30 is such an iconic engine

I feel you found a blue water metallic e39 w the sport package for sale on auto trader and when I was ready to call in the morning about it, had just been sold. Def want to go w a straight six, the M54B30 is such an iconic engine

Ah man that stings. Hope you find a good one. Yeah M54 is buttery smooth, reliable engine that will last forever.

The automatics go for a lot less, a few have sold for around 8-11k for low mileage clean examples. But manual on those is perfect.

So crazy to think that 996 and the 997 were underappreciated unless you were a Porsche fanboy. I was seeing 997 Turbos in the high 60s/low 70s and now they're in the 6 figure range for a clean low mileage. example.

njavier03 njavier03 , if you're really considering the 997, you'd better do it now before they reach 993 level of desirability.

i've been loosely monitoring the market and the jump has been crazy. its starting to get to a point where i dont want to pay to play. the production numbers for manual 997.2s is LOW. that coupled with trying to find an 80% acceptable spec i want is becoming less and less likely. i'm even willing to settle on just PASM, but i'm not budging on color. gotta be arctic silver, GT silver, or maybe carmine red.

F82 will be a better daily driver it’s a much newer car and much faster than a 997 (non gt3)
especially if you’re going to dd it and the car has so much potential if you’re looking for more power.

being "fast" isnt really a priority. no intention of dragging, so occasional track days would be me racing against my own time. i agree that for all intents and purposes the F82 is better suited for daily activities such as taking my wife and son out, modern tech and safety features, size, etc.

TBH I wouldn't daily drive any M car that wasn't a lease.

They're all ticking time bombs, every single one.

Not that they're bad, but they are temperamental and need lots of love. They also depreciate to the ground with miles on them because, well, it's a known thing that they're time bombs.

Buy from carmax with their crazy extended warranty.

eh, other than the possible crank hub issue, the S55 has seemed to be fairly reliable. as with any German car though, maintenance as the miles go up aren't cheap. i wouldn't consider M's a ticking time bomb though. the 997 bore scoring issue is becoming more prevalent, even in the .2s. thats a $20k+ engine rebuild btw. cant say it would cost that much to repair the M, even if it had a catastrophic failure. could be wrong though, but i highly doubt it.

i would never buy from Carmax. sold a few cars to them, but their inspection process is laughable.

eh, other than the possible crank hub issue, the S55 has seemed to be fairly reliable. as with any German car though, maintenance as the miles go up aren't cheap. i wouldn't consider M's a ticking time bomb though. the 997 bore scoring issue is becoming more prevalent, even in the .2s. thats a $20k+ engine rebuild btw. cant say it would cost that much to repair the M, even if it had a catastrophic failure. could be wrong though, but i highly doubt it.

i would never buy from Carmax. sold a few cars to them, but their inspection process is laughable.

Yeah I see you’ve already convinced yourself that an M4 is a better purchase than the 997. Which it could be, I wouldn’t daily either of them though.

But you should know 99% of inspections are laughable, do your own, they have a return window for the vehicle.

That being said, no warranty isn’t going to cover your valve cover gasket leaks.

Last edited:
Yeah I see you’ve already convinced yourself that an M4 is a better purchase than the 997.

But you should know 99% of inspections are laughable, do your own, they have a return window for the vehicle.

That being said, no warranty isn’t going to cover your valve cover gasket leaks.

is it a better purchase? probably so. is it ultimately what i prefer? not really. i was just pointing out that the ticking time bomb comment is a bit blown out (hehe) of proportion, and that the 997 has its own issues that would be more costly.

is it a better purchase? probably so. is it ultimately what i prefer? not really. i was just pointing out that the ticking time bomb comment is a bit blown out (hehe) of proportion, and that the 997 has its own issues that would be more costly.

I have just too much hands on experience with BMWs and the problems that they bring with them. For a daily driver, the leaks and oil consumption are a bit worrisome. I cant deal with that on a daily driven vehicle.

The 997 does offer an IMS retrofit, but I have never owned an M97 or Mezger motor, I’ve only driven them briefly. flyknitlvr flyknitlvr has and can probably give you more info on that.

For me, from just sheer driving experience, and value retention standpoint I know the 997 will not disappoint.

However it must be said, it definitely depends on the mileage of the M4 you are looking at. No matter what the BMW will start leaking, it’s just a matter of when.

I fully assume that whichever you choose the crank hub or (in the Porsche scenario) IMS retrofit would already have been done by you or previous owner, that’s just being a responsible buyer.

Beyond those two catastrophic failures, I typically see BMW to have more consistent outside faults.

Back
Top Bottom