\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Is Toyota gonna get back into the off road/soccer mom aesthetic? Seems like they dropped the FJ too soon. If I see another bronco at Target with 35’s and a 6 inch lift that’ll never see the off-road I’m gonna puke myself.

Low

Attachments

• 06E9C640-D43A-4C66-B764-0A6E1FD965EA.jpeg
    06E9C640-D43A-4C66-B764-0A6E1FD965EA.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 47
lifted trucks look cool, but i dont know how functional it is offroad

we had a site visit in the hills in humboldt county and i rode with a guy that had a huge lifted dodge ram…we couldnt see **** bc it was too high up and nearly rolled the truck over once…pretty scary…

another guy in our group had a stock raptor…that truck is a beast…it pulled us out after we nearly rolled over

i also daily a FJ…it has 250k miles and alot of those miles are offroad…one of the best suv/trucks ive ever had or driven
If only the FJ was better on gas I'd be good til the cybertruck for real.

Gas starting to come down though and my "need" for a alternative vehicle is diminishing.

I will say despite the inefficiency of the FJ I refuse to sell it. I'm used to having a car I can trade in when looking for a new toy and the FJ is too hard to part with.

My FJ is an 07 with less than 130k miles. I hear stories regularly about these things making it well into the 200s and sometimes even 300s. I just don't see a real reason to give it away when it still has so much life left.

I think the fj was made by the vocational division of Toyota. Same people that make land cruisers and city busses etc. supposed to last 500k or something like that Toyota says.

i dont think i may be understanding what youre saying here…but there are plenty of toyotas (especially theyre trucks) that have huge enthusiast followings throughout the world that would dwarf whats going on with tesla…

the land cruiser comes to mind…that thing is all over the world and has been since the late 1950s, it has a range of consumers (warlords, the offroad crowd, and soccer moms)
Perhaps I’m (likely) looking at it from a ‘traditional’ POV:

Proof of concept/requirements for competitive class entry in the executive entry car category:

Car.
RWD.
Manual.

‘Playful’ driving dynamics (i.e. tactile feel of controls vs outright data benchmark numbers).

BMWs were the benchmark. Look at the transition from ‘comfort’ luxury (RR, Cadillac, MB in no order) to sporty (BMW ‘ultimate driving machine’) when it came into ‘power’ in the segment sales wise.

List of companies who followed with conceptually similar cars:

Cadillac
Lexus
Infiniti
Genesis
Mercedes (AMG was emphasized way more as a response to the ‘M’ car craze)

Maybes:

Audi.

So 70% of the market started to emphasize the above ‘sporty’ transition. Toyota outside of the Supra (and I don’t consider that mainstream re: my earlier point) doesn’t have a single sedan that was both ‘premium’ and could give an ‘enthusiast’ the list of driving dynamics that the market trended towards with largely biased FWD platforms. The Model 3 in particular is Philosophically more in line with the brands in the BMW segments (above) than the equivalent products from:

Mazda (FWD sedans, drives well, but understeer city at the limit as expected)
Ford
Chevrolet
Nissan

Proof of concept for those products for class entry in the family sedan category:

Car.
FWD.
Affordable.

Reliable.

Those brands are directly competing with the sedan equivalents from Toyota, in both buyers and most media comparisons (i.e. there are very view group tests when media compare a fully loaded Camry to the latest 'premium RWD/AWD' sedan from the brands above, ditto buyers)

Comparing apples to apples, until the supply chain issues were a thing, you could walk into any Toyota dealership and get a fair % off on a sedan.

Not as much with certain BMW sedans.

Ditto Tesla.

Tesla is experiencing a lot of conquest sales from German luxury automakers.

I really can’t think that was a case of a single sedan (hell and most products) in the Toyota portfolio.

So the Model 3 has much more in common in execution with the executive sedan class (BMW etc.) then the family sedan class (Toyota etc.)

So I think it would be understandable to be confused by your initial statement from a 30K foot POV.

Last edited:
????

Umm...the Lexus IS?

ALNotSure ALNotSure bout to catch a stroke over that comment
I listed Lexus in another response. The OP called Tesla the 'new Toyota' not Lexus (and hasn't referenced the brand once, only Toyota) A Camry is very different than an IS in execution.

But....as an aside, this was the markets response in US sales:

Lexus IS sales All time high: 2006 w/ 55,000 examples sold.

BMW 3 series sales ATH: 2014 w/141,000 examples sold.

Tesla Model 3 sales ATH: 2020 w/206,000 examples sold.

Toyota itself sold almost 40% more Camarys at its ATH then the highest seller on this list w/ substantially cheaper average transaction price than either the IS, 3 series or Model 3, so I still am not seeing the clear connection between Toyota and Tesla here.

I actually liked the IS in concept; the first generation was extremely 'Japanese' in its overall approach, even if it cribed themes from the 3 series.

Last edited:
Wheels and lowering springs are ready for my Toyota Model Y

21” T Sportline TS5’s.

I’m trying to get the mobile wheel dude to come to my house tomorrow. I’m too old to be still lugging wheels back and forth from the tire shop wasting an entire day—as much as I love doing it :lol:

This was a super cost effective option since I can reuse factory tires. Same widths but lower offset.

The wheel pictured is the stock wheel from my S. Had to pull the tire off it cause I punctured one on my HREs.

F23A97C1-B1D1-4F38-8570-99F5FB115D4F.jpeg

I listed Lexus in another response. The OP called Tesla the 'new Toyota' not Lexus (and hasn't referenced the brand once, only Toyota) A Camry is very different than an IS in execution.

Toyota itself sold almost 40% more Camarys at its ATH then the highest seller on this list w/ substantially cheaper average transaction price than either the IS, 3 series or Model 3, so I still am not seeing the clear connection between Toyota and Tesla here.

I actually liked the IS in concept; the first generation was extremely 'Japanese' in its overall approach, even if it cribed themes from the 3 series.

Youre taking that “Telsa is the new Toyota” comment too serious. You (in general, not you specifically) hear that and you should just assume it means Tesla is becoming just as common as a Toyota, or that Teslas are becoming the default choice in a certain type of car people are looking forward to (Camry/Model 3). Otherwise its not that serious to be pulling sales numbers of whatever.

And all I read was 3 or C series doesnt have a Toyota competitor, which the IS is I mean, I dont follow what youre trying to say?

Eh,

I think if they hit the tree the injuries would have been much more severe. the minivan absorbed so much impact that did them a favor compared to hitting a mature tree that will not budge when you crash into it.

hypothetically if he could go back in that situation i woulda swerved and hit the curb and a parked car as to not result in any injury.

the bad thing about rear ending a car thats at a red light is that if you push the car into intersection its possible for them to get tboned

luckily it looks like the light for cross traffic turned red so there was no cross traffic but still very very dangerous

There was a curb to get over which would have scrubbed off some speed, as well as the grass itself and the incline the grass was a part of. Plus the trees look to be a little bit off the road so he had "room" between them to maybe try to miss them. It would have been far better than hitting the car in front and possibly hurting them (and totalling their car, which looking at the wreck, it's totalled) 👍

To be fair, Camrys(camries?) and Model 3s benefit from fleet/rental sales

Toyota Altezza over C-Class any day

:pimp:

Toyota_Altezza_001.jpeg

Absolutely! Beautiful car when it release many years ago. Especially with the legendary chronograph style gauge cluster.
2003-lexus-is300-i075.jpg
3735152039_618292365a_b.jpg

I thought this was so freaking cool back when it released and it was, and as a car guy AND a watch guy (Chronographs from Micro brands are a weakness for me) it still is freaking cool. Plus these also came in a manual. 👍

Youre taking that “Telsa is the new Toyota” comment too serious. You (in general, not you specifically) hear that and you should just assume it means Tesla is becoming just as common as a Toyota, or that Teslas are becoming the default choice in a certain type of car people are looking forward to (Camry/Model 3). Otherwise its not that serious to be pulling sales numbers of whatever.

And all I read was 3 or C series doesnt have a Toyota competitor, which the IS is I mean, I dont follow what youre trying to say?
The average transition price (and sales volume) specifically for the M3 is far closer to the BMW 3 series than the Camry for example.

I think some would be confused if someone would say the commonality of certain generations of the 3 series makes BMW ‘the new Toyota’ -and such confusion to such an observation would at least be ‘understood’.

Again, just by numbers/sales regions, there are far more Toyotas sold than Teslas annually.

I cannot speak to Lexus, the comment wasn’t about Lexus, so I have no further
comment about that, the numbers referenced an earlier discussion about ‘challenger luxury marques’ (Lexus included) not really selling in large numbers in certain German dominated sectors like the entry level saloons despite multi generational investment .

Sales numbers can help frame/fact-check the ‘large number of x models on road = more commonplace’ argument, as by pure math neither is comparable/true-but absolutely anecdotally speaking region/awareness/etc can determine a pov ‘opinion’. (Ex. per latest data there are certain states that Tesla sells far fewer 3s vs Camrys)

Last edited:
To be fair, Camrys(camries?) and Model 3s benefit from fleet/rental sales
All luxury brands (especially the ‘challengers’ i.e. Genesis, Cadillac, Lexus, and the worst offender, Infiniti) benefit from fleet sales.

The difference is ‘_______ is buying 50K Infiniti Q50s’ isn’t going to make the cover of the WSJ for obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom