\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Absolutely! Beautiful car when it release many years ago. Especially with the legendary chronograph style gauge cluster.
2003-lexus-is300-i075.jpg
3735152039_618292365a_b.jpg

I thought this was so freaking cool back when it released and it was, and as a car guy AND a watch guy (Chronographs from Micro brands are a weakness for me) it still is freaking cool. Plus these also came in a manual. 👍
Lexus and Cadillac (both interestingly brands of huge multinationals) went to the extremes of the ‘sporty focused’ spectrum its first generation 3 series competitors (IS, ATS) and prioritized driving engagement metrics over things like rear passenger room-just as the Germans began to emphasize ‘comfort’ a bit more.

The ATS program was very interesting-GM spent a ton of $$$ sourcing BMW suppliers to match the best German sedans in steering racks, suspension components and the like (I’ve heard similar things about the IS program).

From a choice perspective, that era was probably the most interesting in the sports sedan class.

The average transition price (and sales volume) specifically for the M3 is far closer to the BMW 3 series than the Camry for example.

I think some would be confused if someone would say the commonality of certain generations of the 3 series makes BMW ‘the new Toyota’ -and such confusion to such an observation would at least be ‘understood’.

Again, just by numbers/sales regions, there are far more Toyotas sold than Teslas annually.

I cannot speak to Lexus, the comment wasn’t about Lexus, so I have no further
comment about that, the numbers referenced an earlier discussion about ‘challenger luxury marques’ (Lexus included) not really selling in large numbers in certain German dominated sectors like the entry level saloons despite multi generational investment .

Sales numbers can help frame/fact-check the ‘large number of x models on road = more commonplace’ argument, as by pure math neither is comparable/true-but absolutely anecdotally speaking region/awareness/etc can determine a pov ‘opinion’. (Ex. per latest data there are certain states that Tesla sells far fewer 3s vs Camrys)

Bro you are number crunching and thinking on this WAY too much. The statement literally just insinuates Teslas are getting as common as Toyotas. That statement has nothing to do with pricing or anything.

And the comment has absolutely everything to do with Lexus. Lexus is Toyota, so you cant say Toyota has never made a 3 series competitor. Same way you can say Nissan has never made a 3 series competitor when they have the Infiniti Q50, or Honda when they have the Acura TLX.

Bro you are number crunching and thinking on this WAY too much. The statement literally just insinuates Teslas are getting as common as Toyotas. That statement has nothing to do with pricing or anything.

And the comment has absolutely everything to do with Lexus. Lexus is Toyota, so you cant say Toyota has never made a 3 series competitor. Same way you can say Nissan has never made a 3 series competitor when they have the Infiniti Q50, or Honda when they have the Acura TLX.
I’ll also repeat:

If the same statement was made about BMW, which ‘statistically’ makes as much ‘sense’ there might be ‘understandable’ pushback on platforms like these (car enthusiasts POV).

I’ve admitted many times during discussions on this thread that due to my profession ‘numbers’ (i.e. data) is required-especially in automotive product development. ‘To much’ in any directional spectrum in a discussion can be helpful/harmful in my experience. Glass half full.

Last edited:
I’ll also repeat:

If the same statement was made about BMW, which ‘statistically’ makes as much ‘sense’ there might be ‘understandable’ pushback on platforms like these (car enthusiasts POV).

I’ve admitted many times during discussions on this thread that due to my profession ‘numbers’ (i.e. data) is required-especially in automotive product development. ‘To much’ in any directional spectrum in a discussion can be helpful/harmful in my experience. Glass half full.

It could be true as well if BMW were named instead of Toyota, but the comparison to Toyota sounds more right as Toyota is the more common vehicle.

I listed Lexus in another response. The OP called Tesla the 'new Toyota' not Lexus (and hasn't referenced the brand once, only Toyota) A Camry is very different than an IS in execution.

But....as an aside, this was the markets response in US sales:

Lexus IS sales All time high: 2006 w/ 55,000 examples sold.

BMW 3 series sales ATH: 2014 w/141,000 examples sold.

Tesla Model 3 sales ATH: 2020 w/206,000 examples sold.

Toyota itself sold almost 40% more Camarys at its ATH then the highest seller on this list w/ substantially cheaper average transaction price than either the IS, 3 series or Model 3, so I still am not seeing the clear connection between Toyota and Tesla here.

I actually liked the IS in concept; the first generation was extremely 'Japanese' in its overall approach, even if it cribed themes from the 3 series.
If you're looking through a straw to find your answer it's going to take a lot longer to find it.
Tesla hasnt been around as long as Toyota and EV's havent been around as long as ICE so obviously the numbers will lay heavy on the latter.
My remark was just an observation made in two distinct US locations in where I've lived and seen buyers who were typically Toyota sway to Tesla.
No numbers behind it ....just what I've seen and observed with certain areas and cultures.

Personally I wouldnt put Telsa in the same category as any of the German manufacturers but again that's just my opinion.
Tech heavy ...of course. Everything else ...meh.

If you're looking through a straw to find your answer it's going to take a lot longer to find it.
Tesla hasnt been around as long as Toyota and EV's havent been around as long as ICE so obviously the numbers will lay heavy on the latter.
My remark was just an observation made in two distinct US locations in where I've lived and seen buyers who were typically Toyota sway to Tesla.
No numbers behind it ....just what I've seen and observed with certain areas and cultures.

Personally I wouldnt put Telsa in the same category as any of the German manufacturers but again that's just my opinion.
Tech heavy ...of course. Everything else ...meh.
If you like to share those locations, I can look into some general conquest sales by region as of JD Power and another one of our partners data.

BMW and Toyota reached its sales peak/time in market very similarly and yet Toyota sells far more volume monthly. TSLA sells around BMW volumes in the USDM for background.

Overall conquest sales from Tesla have been largely from German OEMs, the migration interestingly from Japanese marques to Tesla has been a lot more mixed, as Honda is actually quite a bit more affected by TSLAs conquest sales statistically than Toyota.

I have already addressed the observational statement.

Last edited:
On another note it bears repeating: Buick has some really interesting EVs
heading into production-only surpassed by the ‘art more than vehicle’ products Cadillac is has scheduled.

F2A9E9E7-A988-472F-9F95-2299CBD44CB1.jpeg

Patient images for the Toyota crown. Hybrid drivetrains and a raised ride height. The CATY studio in particular has done some excellent interior theme work so I’m interested to see the inside of this.

Last edited:
It could be true as well if BMW were named instead of Toyota, but the comparison to Toyota sounds more right as Toyota is the more common vehicle.
BMW and Tesla sell in simlar volumes yearly.

Toyota literally outsells both Tesla and BMW combined (USDM). 😃 So to someone as you observed knows the data, that statement sounded curious/jarring. Which I’ve admitted many times can be an outlier in general discussions.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Beautiful car when it release many years ago. Especially with the legendary chronograph style gauge cluster.
2003-lexus-is300-i075.jpg
3735152039_618292365a_b.jpg

I thought this was so freaking cool back when it released and it was, and as a car guy AND a watch guy (Chronographs from Micro brands are a weakness for me) it still is freaking cool. Plus these also came in a manual. 👍
the is 300 gauges and the s2000 gauges were my favorite from that era :smokin
B63AB8D0-2579-427C-8EAA-0A167FF439BC.jpeg

I am starting to show slight discoloration on my white seats. Just north of 3k miles on the ODO.

A little concerning but I’m back to wearing shorts mainly for summer, tried using Lexol but didn’t do much. Anyone have a good recommendation for cleaning seats? Doesn’t bug me much but I’m sure that with 3k miles, it can get worse.

On my BMW I was never able to get the dye transfer out of my white seats, but then again it was a lease and I never cared to as much.

90672844-E537-4FD2-8C6C-549C35713707.jpeg

I am starting to show slight discoloration on my white seats. Just north of 3k miles on the ODO.

A little concerning but I’m back to wearing shorts mainly for summer, tried using Lexol but didn’t do much. Anyone have a good recommendation for cleaning seats? Doesn’t bug me much but I’m sure that with 3k miles, it can get worse.

On my BMW I was never able to get the dye transfer out of my white seats, but then again it was a lease and I never cared to as much.

i know that feel, my XC90 came with blonde interior, looks so clean but just a pia when it comes to maintaining it 🙄, itll def get worse no matter how much you clean it esp since it looks like your are very white, mine are like a grayish off white

but anyway i use this, pretty good imo

Leather Honey

Chemical guys has a leather cleaner that will remove discoloration from white Tesla seats safely.

First I’d go with baby wipes gentler-harsher would be advisable.

After our first white interior, I subsequently had all of our other ones ceramic coated-it works wonders vs even slowing down Jean transfer (but wiping your seats with a baby wipe immediately after denim contact is advisable, even when coated).

There’s a stronger solvent that we’ve used on our Turo vehicles, but I’d try the above first as it can remove the coating from the white surfaces rather quickly. I can link it here later when I detail our cars-with that one I’d go with a mix of 1-6 water.

Last edited:
I listed Lexus in another response. The OP called Tesla the 'new Toyota' not Lexus (and hasn't referenced the brand once, only Toyota) A Camry is very different than an IS in execution.

But....as an aside, this was the markets response in US sales:

Lexus IS sales All time high: 2006 w/ 55,000 examples sold.

BMW 3 series sales ATH: 2014 w/141,000 examples sold.

Tesla Model 3 sales ATH: 2020 w/206,000 examples sold.

Toyota itself sold almost 40% more Camarys at its ATH then the highest seller on this list w/ substantially cheaper average transaction price than either the IS, 3 series or Model 3, so I still am not seeing the clear connection between Toyota and Tesla here.

I actually liked the IS in concept; the first generation was extremely 'Japanese' in its overall approach, even if it cribed themes from the 3 series.
yeah dude is big tripping

only similarities between tesla and toyota is starting with a t and ending with an a:lol:

Wheels and lowering springs are ready for my Toyota Model Y

21” T Sportline TS5’s.

I’m trying to get the mobile wheel dude to come to my house tomorrow. I’m too old to be still lugging wheels back and forth from the tire shop wasting an entire day—as much as I love doing it :lol:

This was a super cost effective option since I can reuse factory tires. Same widths but lower offset.

The wheel pictured is the stock wheel from my S. Had to pull the tire off it cause I punctured one on my HREs.

F23A97C1-B1D1-4F38-8570-99F5FB115D4F.jpeg
👀

Lowered/slammed teslas >>>

only similarities between tesla and toyota is starting with a t and ending with an a:lol:
I guess picasso swerve picasso swerve interpretation of the statement (and OP followups/um tone lol I might agree) = that it was more a 'barbershop ****talking statement’ more than anything (?)

We actually used to run these exercises in some large focus groups:

Let's say there is a really dominate product that is pretty much seen by everyone in their day to day activities.

Then a disruptor (i.e. challenger product) shows up and begins to sell/show up in markets/consumer everyday POV.

Even if it it is sold at 50% less in volume than the dominate product-the disruptor will all of a sudden be 'everywhere' from a consumer POV (and by disruptor, the product can be compatible, competitive, or have a huge media presence along with strong sales, but not really in the same category) and the mind will 'delete' the dominate product from their core memories (i.e. it becomes part of the landscape even though it still is in the 'top' statistical spot year to year via sales). Even more so by enthusiasts.

Such is the nature of casual observations.

Last edited:

No one said there was any ACTUAL similarities with Tesla and Toyota.

Thats what yall getting from someone saying Tesla is becoming the new Toyota? :lol:

I automatically assume they mean they are getting as common as them. Thats it. And like design design said in the post above me, it probably isnt even true (obv in this case its not) but its more just an expression that Teslas are really becoming common, not ACTUALLY as common as Toyotas.

Last edited:
teslas have that crazy hype prius’s had when they first came out…

i remember everyone having a prius and celebrities talking about the prius too…that hype fell off tho

as more manufacturers make hybrids i think the tesla hype will go away sooner rather than later

if i were to buy an electric vehicle, i wouldnt be interested in a tesla…id do whatever i could to get a nsx

teslas have that crazy hype prius’s had when they first came out…

i remember everyone having a prius and celebrities talking about the prius too…that hype fell off tho

as more manufacturers make hybrids i think the tesla hype will go away sooner rather than later

if i were to buy an electric vehicle, i wouldnt be interested in a tesla…id do whatever i could to get a nsx

I mean im sure you know this but NSX isnt a full EV so this kinda doesnt make sense?

Chemical guys has a leather cleaner that will remove discoloration from white Tesla seats.

First I’d go with baby wipes.

After our first white interior, I subsequently had all of our other ones ceramic coated-it works wonders vs even Jean transfer.

There’s a stronger solvent that we’ve used on our Turo vehicles, but I’d try the above first as it can remove the coating from the white surfaces rather quickly.
I had done a pretty simple ceramic coating on the interior but it was a interior ceramic spray application and not hand applied like a traditional ceramic coat.

But now that you mention it I might have to get this over to ceramic pro.
👀

Lowered/slammed teslas >>>

I think I can go a smidge lower in the rear on my S. Will adjust my links down one more notch. Drop on Model Y will be pretty moderate. But likely won't install the springs for another month or so.

IMG_0585.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom