\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Cancelled my Model 3 order and I'm sitting on sidelines again for now.

Somethubg about that front bumper of the model 3 just didn't sit right with me. I thought I could learn to love it but I'd rather not settle.

kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc that beamer you posted is tempted (even tho I hate the grill), but I see it's only fwd. You live in NYC right, is it safe to assume you have another car that will serve as the winter beater?
Gotta grab the M version Brody.

Whats the % that SUV's come tinted with (back windows)? Im assuming its 20?
My rav4 came with 20 in the back and I got 35 up front
I should have just matched 20 all around but it’s hard enough to pass inspection here now anyway. No windshield tint allowed at all in Boston or I’d have done that too

Bro trust me you took me down a long rabbit hole of these electric beamers but that 230 or so mileage on the M ain't it.

I might have to wait a year and see what they can add to that range.

The M does look sick tho. Your girls I4 also looks crazy nice.
Once you feel the torque of the base i4 the M really is pointless

Base joint with the 18 inch wheels gonna give you about 330 miles.

BMW rep basically told me don't entertain the M version

Too much new BMW and Tesla, I gotta balance it out here.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 11.03.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 11.03.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 11.02.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 11.02.03 AM.png
3474c57fa2f146b769b758d807ffb74e.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 1.28.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 7.32.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 1.01.52 AM.png
92QvO1EE-Z-tMFmGDX7-(edit).jpeg
dsc_0186_15.jpeg

Somethubg about that front bumper of the model 3 just didn't sit right with me. I thought I could learn to love it but I'd rather not settle.

kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc that beamer you posted is tempted (even tho I hate the grill), but I see it's only fwd. You live in NYC right, is it safe to assume you have another car that will serve as the winter beater?

I’d have kept that model 3, even the 46k base model is reselling for 58k

Not sure if it’s old but I’ll contribute a pic of my first 911. I had this car for 7 years. Fully paid off. Bought it when I was 26 and couldn’t afford it but somehow saw it through and made it work. Now that I mention it I always spend more than I’m comfortable with. :lol:

Still stay in contact with the new owner and he’s done some mods to it.

41A66719-B536-4411-AE7A-F169530DFFA9.jpeg

some pics with the new owner sent me:

Day it was delivered to his house (this one made me realize he was the right person to own the car)
B773AAA4-DD62-4F1D-ADE9-083957F68D7B.jpeg

How it looks today, 991.2 satin platinum wheels and back to red taillights. He did a steering wheel upgrade too and some other cool stuff in the interior.

029C84E6-476C-4DBE-8AA9-128B7B1322E6.jpeg

FWD is more than enough for NYC winters. We dont really have heavy heavy snow like that, and if we do its once a year and by the next day you can drive fine. Anything north of Yonkers and it gets a bit tricky.

Model 3 front end looks fine, that Bimmer, nah dawg.

SoCal. I have only ever gotten a tint ticket once. It’s an unspoken thing that cops don’t enforce tint laws. Especially on more premium vehicles.

Now if you get pulled over in a loud *** G37 with limo tint you’re done for.
Only time i got a tint ticket in Cali was when the cop pulled me over for speeding but then he cut me off with just a tint ticket

If you watch the in car dash cam video, he could have ditched the car on the grass on the right and he would have missed the cars but would have hit the curb and then maybe a tree (it was an incline there, which would have been far better for him.

With the facts coming out that he knew the throttle sticks, no EBrake, and on top of that, he was driving with NO collision insurance, only liability, dude is gonna get sued and rightfully so. His buddy lost 5 teeth and needed his jaw wired shut. Dude deserves EVERYTHING he gets.
Eh,

I think if they hit the tree the injuries would have been much more severe. the minivan absorbed so much impact that did them a favor compared to hitting a mature tree that will not budge when you crash into it.

hypothetically if he could go back in that situation i woulda swerved and hit the curb and a parked car as to not result in any injury.

the bad thing about rear ending a car thats at a red light is that if you push the car into intersection its possible for them to get tboned

luckily it looks like the light for cross traffic turned red so there was no cross traffic but still very very dangerous

One thing I wonder about the push towards electrification is whether people's range expectations will reset? When we first got my wife's Tesla M3 I thought the range of under 300 miles was laughable with my m550i getting at least 380 on a full tank. It wasn't until we actually started using her car that I realized that anything over 200 miles is more than sufficient for us and our needs. Her job is only 15 miles away and even when we take long trips in her MYP the range isn't bad. If you have super long commutes in terms of distance then electrification might not be for you yet but when you actually break down how many miles of range you need it might surprise you like it surprised me. I still love ICE cars and love my car on long road trips but I realize that I don't need as much range as I thought.

“But but Camry is $30k and MY is $60k, the price difference wont offset the gas savings for years!”

Its a valid argument but with cheaper EV’s coming out, it diminishes it more and more.
I think there has been an assumption that the fIrst generation of EVs from legacy OEMs are going to be cheaper and as competitive. With dealer markups, and spiking supply costs here on the horizon, and with laggy UIs (i.e. Mach E/Polestar) battery issues (Ford) limited supply (GM/MB/BMW/VW) to figure out. Which will cost money. And by limited supply, I mean in comparison to TSLA manufacturing numbers, which are in turn minuscule in comparison to the overall output of ICE cars.

Which in turn is a ballpark of what ICE manufacturers have to sell in order to maintain in some cases a really bloated internal infrastructure, and in case of a lot of automakers, sourcing factories/batteries/partnerships to transition into EVs (Mazda/Honda) is going to be a huge bottleneck Historically with the above challenges, in this sector first generation products have been anything but ‘cheaper’.

Most rely on tax credits and a heavily leveraged automotive supply chain.

Even GM whispered about its ‘cheaper’ EVs (2-@ $35K starting price-but those fires/recalls with the Bolt would be something to monitor).

But promptly switched investor attention to its plans for a $200K EV Cadillac, another Hummer variant over $100K and I’ve been told Buick is heading to the over $60K space with its startupy new lineup.

Profit is going to have to happen if legacy is to survive transition, and they haven’t figured out the ‘reduced cost’ thing just yet.

Last edited:
I think there has been an assumption that the fIrst generation of EVs from legacy OEMs are going to be cheaper and as competitive. With dealer markups, and spiking supply costs here on the horizon, and with laggy UIs (i.e. Mach E/Polestar) battery issues (Ford) limited supply (GM/MB/BMW/VW) to figure out. Which will cost money. And by limited supply, I mean in comparison to TSLA manufacturing numbers, which are in turn minuscule in comparison to the overall output of ICE cars.

Which in turn is a ballpark of what ICE manufacturers have to sell in order to maintain in some cases a really bloated internal infrastructure, and in case of a lot of automakers, sourcing factories/batteries/partnerships to transition into EVs (Mazda/Honda) is going to be a huge bottleneck Historically with the above challenges, in this sector first generation products have been anything but ‘cheaper’.

Most rely on tax credits and a heavily leveraged automotive supply chain.

Even GM whispered about its ‘cheaper’ EVs (2-@ $35K starting price-but those fires/recalls with the Bolt would be something to monitor).

But promptly switched investor attention to its plans for a $200K EV Cadillac, another Hummer variant over $100K and I’ve been told Buick is heading to the over $60K space with its startupy new lineup.

Profit is going to have to happen if legacy is to survive transition, and they haven’t figured out the ‘reduced cost’ thing just yet.

I know Ford and GM were asking Biden and Congress to extend their EV credits. I think these companies need to invest in their own charging infrastructure like Tesla did because electrify America and other charging solutions isn't it. I also think the BMW model and the Ford Model is what legacy automakers should do. Just Build electric versions of your regular cars (I4 looks just my dad's m440i GC) to save on build costs and factory costs if electrification is just one "feature"/ "step" they do or don't do in the assembly line process.

I said what said. If you want to read in what you think I said that’s you.

IDGaF about exclusivity. That’s not my mo.
If I like it …I drive it.
Quality of Teslas just isn’t there and has never been on par with cars/trucks of market competitors of equivalent value. Styling leaves a lot to be desired IMO and it just wouldn’t fit my lifestyle.
If I really wanted to be “cool” id get a Tesla and wrap it since that seems to be all the rage the past few years. I’d rather be square.
If I you like it then you do you.
I think my confusion when taking account the historical knowledge of the brands would be:

Toyota has never built a car that consumers seem to deem a competitor to the C class or 3 series.

Toyota hasn’t been noted for innovation in during its ‘market cap = domination’ tenure.

Tesla has never sold in the volumes that Toyota continues to.

No mainstream Toyota has had the enthusiasts characteristics of the Model 3.

Toyota now is emphasizing interior polymers and finishes.

Toyota has always had better panel gap integrity throughout its lineup.

Toyota has been very conservative and very spilt on its powered systems/subsequent investment (ICE/EV/Hybrid/hydrogen) vs focused in TSLAs case (EV)

?

Last edited:
Resell price was giving me FOMO, which resulted in me preordering, ultimately as I looked at em more I still didn't love it for the price.

I had probably the cleanest base model 3 out there. Believe it or not, after having owned all of the models S3XY, I find the 3 to be the most fun to drive. I only had a standard range model and it was so much fun.

My current S is incredible, but it’s dramatic taking it out, and not as purpose built as the Model 3.

I think the exterior styling leaves a bit to be desired but it just needs some love.

Model 3 Long Range is the car I recommend to all of my friends. Sure, it won’t wow anyone at the Valet when you pull up but it will surely wow you every time you drive it.

1EE24865-AD3F-4DF2-B5DB-A62B43E23B5B.jpeg

No mainstream Toyota has had the enthusiasts characteristics of the Model 3.
i dont think i may be understanding what youre saying here…but there are plenty of toyotas (especially theyre trucks) that have huge enthusiast followings throughout the world that would dwarf whats going on with tesla…

the land cruiser comes to mind…that thing is all over the world and has been since the late 1950s, it has a range of consumers (warlords, the offroad crowd, and soccer moms)

Back
Top Bottom