\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

I want to learn how to drive a stick but I think it would take me a ton of practice to perfect driving in the hills. Some of those streets in sf are hella steep!
Nah, just gotta learn where the engage point is on the clutch. Like BoostHog, I've also taught people in a matter of hours. All you really need to learn is how far you have to let the clutch out so that it engages and the cars starts moving forward, without having to add gas. Once you find that point, and the car begins to roll forward, just add gas, let the rest of the way off the clutch and off you go. After you have that down, flat road, mount everest, it doesn't matter how steep the hill is, you just do the same thing, and the car will go forward. Shifting gears once you've started going is cake. Kinda hard to explain over the interwebs, but just get out there and try it.

Note: This is the best way I've found to teach people. Once you have it down, no need to sit there slowly letting the clutch out til the car rolls forward, you'll be coordinated and just do it all in one motion :lol:

Last edited:

We talkin evos now?!?! Mine is in the shop at the moment getting a built head.
Sick! Is that an ARC heat shield i see? 
nerd.gif

What you having done to the head?  What is your power goal when it's done?

i want a evo, vette, all that ****. but i cant drive stick :stoneface:
sick.gif

Last edited:
I want to learn how to drive a stick but I think it would take me a ton of practice to perfect driving in the hills. Some of those streets in sf are hella steep!
Nah, just gotta learn where the engage point is on the clutch. Like BoostHog, I've also taught people in a matter of hours. All you really need to learn is how far you have to let the clutch out so that it engages and the cars starts moving forward, without having to add gas. Once you find that point, and the car begins to roll forward, just add gas, let the rest of the way off the clutch and off you go. After you have that down, flat road, mount everest, it doesn't matter how steep the hill is, you just do the same thing, and the car will go forward. Shifting gears once you've started going is cake. Kinda hard to explain over the interwebs, but just get out there and try it.

Note: This is the best way I've found to teach people. Once you have it down, no need to sit there slowly letting the clutch out til the car rolls forward, you'll be coordinated and just do it all in one motion :lol:

It seems hard but all my friends that drive a stick say it's easy, I guess it's like riding a bike but with a clutch and gears lol.

Bruh I learned from YouTube tutorial vids, Itz not hard at all...
For real.

i learned because when my dad took me to pick up my first car when i got my license (94 civic hatchback) he left and made me drive it home by myself and i had never driven a stick before 
laugh.gif

stalled her a couple times but then i was good.  Used the handbrake trick to take off on hills until i got more confident 

My thing with driving stick is getting a car that is stick
laugh.gif
.  I know I'm gonna burn the clutch, so I want to try to find a beat up Civic that I can practice on.

There might be some driving instructors with sticks as well. If you want to go that route and just learn on some dudes corolla. Most newer cars have that no rolling back ebrake mechanism, but my cars are all old school. People tend to freak out when the car rolls backward and there is someone behind them.

To this day I will tell you the hardest thing about driving stick will be parallel parking on a hill in reverse. That **** burns the clutch every time lol. Usually I just avoid.

Nelson: Yep lots of ARC goodies for bling. The head is being built because I had some leaking valves. I will probably be making the same power as before, just more reliably. Car is built for fast spool 28psi on E85. I don't launch or drag race, just track days and grocery getting.

There might be some driving instructors with sticks as well. If you want to go that route and just learn on some dudes corolla. Most newer cars have that no rolling back ebrake mechanism, but my cars are all old school. People tend to freak out when the car rolls backward and there is someone behind them.

To this day I will tell you the hardest thing about driving stick will be parallel parking on a hill in reverse. That **** burns the clutch every time lol. Usually I just avoid.
About to look up the instructor thing now, thanks for the heads up!

sick.gif
@ parallel parking on a hill with a stick.  My buddy burned his clutch doing that too, he was pissed.  My car was an automatic, so I had no problems
laugh.gif

this was actually a really good explanation.

My thing with driving stick is getting a car that is stick :lol: .  I know I'm gonna burn the clutch, so I want to try to find a beat up Civic that I can practice on.

You don't have to get a beat up car just to learn on bruh.. My first manual car is my now daily driver, a 06 Mustang GT with a 3.55 gear.. I watched YouTube tutorial vids for a good week before I went to the dealership to get the car.. The vids broke everything down step by step, so simple that it gave me the confidence to just go for it.
On the drive back home I stalled out once at a red light but that was it. I was on the E Way within the hour. Itz that easy bruh, seriously...

You would have to seriously be messing up behind the wheel to burn up a clutch.

Last edited:
You don't have to get a beat up car just to learn on bruh.. My first manual car is my now daily driver, a 06 Mustang GT with a 3.55 gear.. I watched YouTube tutorial vids for a good week before I went to the dealership to get the car.. The vids broke everything down step by step, so simple that it gave me the confidence to just go for it.
On the drive back home I stalled out once at a red light but that was it. In was on the E Way within the hour.

You would have to seriously be messing up behind the wheel to burn up a clutch.
I feel a little more confident after reading stories about people learning quick and watching videos on driving stick, but the beat up car would just be for the weekend and getting better.  I'll more than likely be living in San Francisco by the end of the year and I know a stick as a DD would be a headache on those hills and in traffic.

You might burn the clutch on steep *** hill starts as a newb. Not that big of a deal though.

Nelson: Yep lots of ARC goodies for bling. The head is being built because I had some leaking valves. I will probably be making the same power as before, just more reliably. Car is built for fast spool 28psi on E85. I don't launch or drag race, just track days and grocery getting.
Awesome 
pimp.gif

Got a job as a valet so I had to learn to drive a stick this weekend. Took me about 2 hours to get it down smoothly. Learned in my friend's 08 Civic. Not even gonna lie, I stalled the car several times at the beginning :frown:.

Hardest part is getting the car moving in 1st gear. My main issue was letting go of the clutch too fast, causing the car to stall :smh: but after I got that the rest was easy.

We talkin evos now?!?! Mine is in the shop at the moment getting a built head.

Is that an VIII or IX? After having my Evo for two weeks, I can't even look at my Z anymore and am thinking of trading it in for a IX. I keep reading the platform difference between the IX and X is noticeable, and not in a negative way at all, can somebody talk some sense into me? :lol:

My evo is a IX. Much more of a raw performance car than a X. Lighter, more capable. The X is a nice car, but was designed to appeal more to the euro crowd. Lots of luxury amenities at the cost of being heavier. But X has a nicer interior and all that if that's a factor to you.

My evo is a IX. Much more of a raw performance car than a X. Lighter, more capable. The X is a nice car, but was designed to appeal more to the euro crowd. Lots of luxury amenities at the cost of being heavier. But X has a nicer interior and all that if that's a factor to you.

Yeah, I already have an X, I was just thinking of getting rid of my 370Z for a IX and maybe double it for track days/auto-X.

IX is easier and cheaper to make power over both an VIII and a X. If you have access to ethanol you can have a reliable 370 whp on a mustang dyno for under 3k in parts on the stock turbo.

Oh and get the five speed. The 6 speed is weak on big power. I switched out my 6 speed trans for the 5 speed.

Last edited:
IX is easier and cheaper to make power over both an VIII and a X. If you have access to ethanol you can have a reliable 370 whp on a mustang dyno for under 3k in parts on the stock turbo.

Oh and get the five speed. The 6 speed is weak on big power. I switched out my 6 speed trans for the 5 speed.

Thanks for the tip and yeah, I was just going for getting it to ~350 to keep it reliable, so that's good to hear.

Is that an VIII or IX? After having my Evo for two weeks, I can't even look at my Z anymore and am thinking of trading it in for a IX. I keep reading the platform difference between the IX and X is noticeable, and not in a negative way at all, can somebody talk some sense into me?
laugh.gif
Why even get another Evo?

Trade the Z in for a DD, mess around with the X.

Benzo for chill days and X for fun days. 
smokin.gif

Is that an VIII or IX? After having my Evo for two weeks, I can't even look at my Z anymore and am thinking of trading it in for a IX. I keep reading the platform difference between the IX and X is noticeable, and not in a negative way at all, can somebody talk some sense into me? :lol:

Why even get another Evo?

Trade the Z in for a DD, mess around with the X.

Benzo for chill days and X for fun days. :smokin

Benz's ain't my style and I already have a 328i as a DD. Anyway, unlike most people, I don't want a car to "chill" in. I like to feel the drive.

Buy an VIII RS if you just want a raw drivers car. They are the lightest ones, they even have crank windows 
laugh.gif

if you just want it for a track/weekend car go find an RS, throw a FP Green or Evo 9 turbo on it, cams, E85, and get a safe reliable tune, throw some money into wheels/tires/suspension and you will have one hell of a fun car.

PS: If you buy an 8 you will have more money to throw at the car afterwards since people usually demand more money for IX's since they're newer and were only made one year

Benz's ain't my style and I already have a 328i as a DD. Anyway, unlike most people, I don't want a car to "chill" in. I like to feel the drive.

Thats totally fine but 2 Evo's? :lol:

Too similar IMO even with the difference of X vs IX.

Like I said, I'm not too rational sometimes :lol:

[thread="266081"]Yeah, I already have an X, I was just thinking of getting rid of my 370Z for a IX and maybe double it for track days/auto-X.[/thread]
Buy an VIII RS if you just want a raw drivers car. They are the lightest ones, they even have crank windows :lol:

if you just want it for a track/weekend car go find an RS, throw a FP Green or Evo 9 turbo on it, cams, E85, and get a safe reliable tune, throw some money into wheels/tires/suspension and you will have one hell of a fun car.

PS: If you buy an 8 you will have more money to throw at the car afterwards since people usually demand more money for IX's since they're newer and were only made one year

It's so tough finding an VIII around here but I'll keep on the lookout for one. I do like that the IX's value stays consistently stays high though.

Back
Top Bottom