\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Bruh, do not take your car back to them. They are just firing the parts cannon on it.

A legit shop would've diagnosed the problem properly and fixed the issue.
I was thinking about taking it to the dealership maybe I'll have better luck there.
Do not use an aftermarket thermostat. Use OEM. Same for the coolant too. Are they using the cheap premixed green coolant they sell at autozone?
I'm going to see if they will put the OEM one back on because clearly the problem isn't the thermostat. Coolant is OEM Mopar yup & it's been coming out of my pocket because when it leaked out 2 weeks ago I had to go to the dealership & get more.

After that my brother bled out the line to clear out all the air & I again had to run back to the dealership & get more coolant.

I was thinking about taking it to the dealership maybe I'll have better luck there.

I'm going to see if they will put the OEM one back on because clearly the problem isn't the thermostat. Coolant is OEM Mopar yup & it's been coming out of my pocket because when it leaked out 2 weeks ago I had to go to the dealership & get more.

After that my brother bled out the line to clear out all the air & I again had to run back to the dealership & get more coolant.
damn this sucks, i would be irate tbh just off the time that you wasted

You can run OEM thermostat. I don’t know the full extent of your mods, but on my Durango i run a 2 row aluminum radiator paired with the coolant sold by mishimoto and my temps stay consistent over the quarter mark. Best mod i bought for this truck. Runs much cooler
This sounds interesting. No overheating issues since you put the 2 row radiator in?
They should have ran the car and tested it. They clearly don’t care. It’s insulting and a waste of additional time and money to get the solution to the original problem fixed.

They need to fix it.
So I spoke with my guy there today & he said he personally drove my car up & down the Parkway. He said he hammered it & it kept running at normal temps. He's a pretty fair & honest person, not the lieing type so I trust what he says. A few of my friends go to his shop for their Hemi needs. Their reviews are nothing but 5 stars. It's just surprising a speed shop of their caliber is having such a hard time diagnosing my cars overheating issue.

I totally agree with you that it's insulting & a waste of additional time & money.
damn this sucks, i would be irate tbh just off the time that you wasted
For sure bro, its hella annoying. I dropped it back at the shop earlier today & he reimbursed me the tow $. He said thermostats on Challengers is a common issue & he sees a lot of it. And that they replace a lot of the cars they work on with the aftermarket thermostat & they almost always run fine after. He said they bled the air out the line, he personally drove my car to test the new part. He said they'll dig in deeper & possibly will have to remove the coolant system to see what's going on.

I asked if they did the coolant compression test on it to which he replied it's not a coolant leak per se that's the problem, the problem is the *overheating* which causes the coolant to boil up & leak. He said it may be the upper or lower radiator hose that's gone bad or even a head gasket so they'll be digging into it. It's back at the shop now so I'm praying it gets fixed & fixed correctly. I'm very stressed out over this crap, I can't think straight. I've got too much money invested in that car to see it limping.
damb :smh: hate to see it
Yeah man **** sucks ***.

This sounds interesting. No overheating issues since you put the 2 row radiator in?

So I spoke with my guy there today & he said he personally drove my car up & down the Parkway. He said he hammered it & it kept running at normal temps. He's a pretty fair & honest person, not the lieing type so I trust what he says. A few of my friends go to his shop for their Hemi needs. Their reviews are nothing but 5 stars. It's just surprising a speed shop of their caliber is having such a hard time diagnosing my cars overheating issue.

I totally agree with you that it's insulting & a waste of additional time & money.

For sure bro, its hella annoying. I dropped it back at the shop earlier today & he reimbursed me the tow $. He said thermostats on Challengers is a common issue & he sees a lot of it. And that they replace a lot of the cars they work on with the aftermarket thermostat & they almost always run fine after. He said they bled the air out the line, he personally drove my car to test the new part. He said they'll dig in deeper & possibly will have to remove the coolant system to see what's going on.

I asked if they did the coolant compression test on it to which he replied it's not a coolant leak per se that's the problem, the problem is the *overheating* which causes the coolant to boil up & leak. He said it may be the upper or lower radiator hose that's gone bad or even a head gasket so they'll be digging into it. It's back at the shop now so I'm praying it gets fixed & fixed correctly. I'm very stressed out over this crap, I can't think straight. I've got too much money invested in that car to see it limping.

Yeah man **** sucks ***.
Personally, I wouldn't trust aftermarket for a critical part like a thermostat. Alot are off brand garbage made in China that aren't durable long term. Try to get a new OEM one for peace of mind.

Bruh, do not take your car back to them. They are just firing the parts cannon on it.

A legit shop would've diagnosed the problem properly and fixed the issue.
I took it back today but this'll be the last time taking it there for this issue. I'm hoping & praying it gets resolved this time & if not then I am 100% going to be taking it to a different shop.
Personally, I wouldn't trust aftermarket for a critical part like a thermostat. Alot are off brand garbage made in China that aren't durable long term. Try to get a new OEM one for peace of mind.
I agree because I myself like keeping stuff as OEM as possible on my cars. I did mention to him that the OEM one was probably just fine & the problem is something else but he was pretty adamant that the OEM ones do go bad often & that the problem goes beyond the thermostat. I wonder if I have a cracked radiator? Maybe a stone flew in & dented the fins.

I took it back today but this'll be the last time taking it there for this issue. I'm hoping & praying it gets resolved this time & if not then I am 100% going to be taking it to a different shop.

I agree because I myself like keeping stuff as OEM as possible on my cars. I did mention to him that the OEM one was probably just fine & the problem is something else but he was pretty adamant that the OEM ones do go bad often & that the problem goes beyond the thermostat. I wonder if I have a cracked radiator? Maybe a stone flew in & dented the fins.
Do you know where the leak is coming from exactly? Could be a bad hose or the radiator itself. You have low miles so this is strange.

Do you know where the leak is coming from exactly? Could be a bad hose or the radiator itself. You have low miles so this is strange.
So it doesn't ever leak on it's own like being parked up & slowly drip out its nothing like that. What happens is I'll drive it(normal driving no speeding or aggressive driving)& the temperature needle slowly goes past the normal halfway mark & eventually goes to H. Then the "engine temperature hot" warning comes on as well as a red thermometer symbol indicating the cars engine is hot.

I pull over & shut off the engine & due to the coolant being at its boiling point due to the excessive heat it absorbed it leaks out through the built-in bleeder hose. 1st time this happened was last July. I went to New Haven, CT the entire drive there & back it was fine. I came back to the garage to put the cover on it the following morning & saw coolant everywhere.

Told my builder & he said keep an eye on your coolant reservoir to make sure it's at the proper level. I took it in for them to look at & he said all is well. This was all July 2022. Then 2 weeks ago I took it to the shop for an oil change. All was well driving to the shop & back home. I stopped at a Gas station to vacuum the interior & while vacuuming I smelled coolant but didn't make much of it.

When I pulled out of the driveway the warning light came up & started to chime. Pulled over & opened the hood and the coolant reservoir was steaming. Drove in my Maxima back to the gas station & sure enough all my Challengers coolant spilled out where I was parked vacuuming it.

My brother said maybe they didn't bleed out the air from the reservoir while doing my build(Dec '21 into Jan '22) so I got more OEM coolant & we bled out the air. There was a lot of air in it because the coolant kept bleeding from the bleeder screw. I then drove it around hard & the Temps went up about after 20 Mins and all the coolant leaked out again.

Then 1st tow to the shop last Wed...shop puts in new thermostat I'm told it's been tested & all is well...drive it home(normal driving) 20 mins in Temps start to rise...twice the engine Temps warning comes on on the highway & 1 more time by my garage...as I'm literally reversing backing into my garage spot the coolant is leaking out & reservoir is boiling...2nd tow back to shop yesterday(got reimbursed this time)...builder said it's something more than a thermostat & here we are today, lol.

fluid hips fluid hips Yes, very strange considering the super low miles. Idk but I believe it may be the radiator or even hose like you said. So when it leaks it leaks from the front right side but 1 pic it looks like the front left also. Bottom side of the car there's a tiny end of a rubber pipe that juts out in the front right & I believe that's where it leaks out from.
20230605_181819.jpg
20230529_124857.jpg
Screenshot_20230607_110341_Gallery.jpg
20220531_122652.jpg
Screenshot_20230607_111317_Gallery.jpg

fluid hips fluid hips Yes, very strange considering the super low miles. Idk but I believe it may be the radiator or even hose like you said. So when it leaks it leaks from the front right side but 1 pic it looks like the front left also. Bottom side of the car there's a tiny end of a rubber pipe that juts out in the front right & I believe that's where it leaks out from.
20230605_181819.jpg

Coolant reservoir is usually on that side. Might be cracked

My brother said maybe they didn't bleed out the air from the reservoir while doing my build(Dec '21 into Jan '22) so I got more OEM coolant & we bled out the air. There was a lot of air in it because the coolant kept bleeding from the bleeder screw. I then drove it around hard & the Temps went up about after 20 Mins and all the coolant leaked out again.

Then 1st tow to the shop last Wed...shop puts in new thermostat I'm told it's been tested & all is well...drive it home(normal driving) 20 mins in Temps start to rise...twice the engine Temps warning comes on on the highway & 1 more time by my garage...as I'm literally reversing backing into my garage spot the coolant is leaking out & reservoir is boiling...2nd tow back to shop yesterday(got reimbursed this time)...builder said it's something more than a thermostat & here we are today, lol.

Is there an incline or elevation change back to your house like you live on a hill?
Usually means more stress on an engine. Mechanic can't replicate that if he lives in a flat area.

So it doesn't ever leak on it's own like being parked up & slowly drip out its nothing like that. What happens is I'll drive it(normal driving no speeding or aggressive driving)& the temperature needle slowly goes past the normal halfway mark & eventually goes to H. Then the "engine temperature hot" warning comes on as well as a red thermometer symbol indicating the cars engine is hot.

I pull over & shut off the engine & due to the coolant being at its boiling point due to the excessive heat it absorbed it leaks out through the built-in bleeder hose. 1st time this happened was last July. I went to New Haven, CT the entire drive there & back it was fine. I came back to the garage to put the cover on it the following morning & saw coolant everywhere.

Told my builder & he said keep an eye on your coolant reservoir to make sure it's at the proper level. I took it in for them to look at & he said all is well. This was all July 2022. Then 2 weeks ago I took it to the shop for an oil change. All was well driving to the shop & back home. I stopped at a Gas station to vacuum the interior & while vacuuming I smelled coolant but didn't make much of it.

When I pulled out of the driveway the warning light came up & started to chime. Pulled over & opened the hood and the coolant reservoir was steaming. Drove in my Maxima back to the gas station & sure enough all my Challengers coolant spilled out where I was parked vacuuming it.

Is this the same issue you've been dealing with from last year?

Coolant reservoir is usually on that side. Might be cracked
Hope not man but with all the coolant boiling inside of it these past few weeks I won't be surprised. On this car if you're standing in front of it it's towards the right of the engine bay
Screenshot_20230607_154737_Gallery.jpg

Is there an incline or elevation change back to your house like you live on a hill?
Usually means more stress on an engine. Mechanic can't replicate that if he lives in a flat area.
Nah, no hills on my side of town. It's all pretty flat land.
Is this the same issue you've been dealing with from last year?
Yup :lol: . I did drive it a good amount last year & since the 1st leak it didn't happen again till 2 weeks ago. It's not a daily driver & It gets parked up around Nov till April(winter season storage). Which leads me to believe whatever the problem is started last July & slowly but surely the part(s) that are effected steadily have been getting worn out since & now are at a point where it's completely failed.

Hope not man but with all the coolant boiling inside of it these past few weeks I won't be surprised. On this car if you're standing in front of it it's towards the right of the engine bay
Screenshot_20230607_154737_Gallery.jpg

Nah, no hills on my side of town. It's all pretty flat land.

Yup :lol: . I did drive it a good amount last year & since the 1st leak it didn't happen again till 2 weeks ago. It's not a daily driver & It gets parked up around Nov till April(winter season storage). Which leads me to believe whatever the problem is started last July & slowly but surely the part(s) that are effected steadily have been getting worn out since & now are at a point where it's completely failed.

Have you had the dealership run a full diagnostic? Is the car too modified for them to take a look?

fluid hips fluid hips When the coolant leaks from the front right it's through this bleeder hose. It's right next to the reservoir cap & sits facing down in it's housing so when the coolant gets to a boiling point & the pressure in it is too much & leaks from that side it's through this little guy.

I too thought it was a cracked reservoir but I think possibly not because everytime I re-fill it had it been cracked it shouldve leaked out instantly but that doesn't happen. When I re-fill the coolant to the required level it sits there without leaking until the next round of overheating.
20230516_131108.jpg

Have you had the dealership run a full diagnostic? Is the car too modified for them to take a look?
I haven't brought it to the dealership yet but I'm thinking it might be a good idea if my shop can't handle it. It's modified but not that modified...it's still N/A no turbo or supercharger so shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't brought it to the dealership yet but I'm thinking it might be a good idea if my shop can't handle it. It's modified but not that modified...it's still N/A no turbo or supercharger so shouldn't be a problem.
I hate what's happened to you because I really look up to you and how you take care of your cars. At least the dealership will get to the bottom of it .

I hate what's happened to you because I really look up to you and how you take care of your cars. At least the dealership will get to the bottom of it .
Thanks man which is what makes this so strange. My Challenger is meticulously maintained inside & out & has such low miles in comparison my Maxima which has like 180,000+ miles still has its original thermostat in it. There's cars with much higher mileage out there that still have all their original thermostat & coolant system parts. I keep thinking wth it could possibly be?

If TrueSt can't diagnose it I'm taking it to the dealership next. I haven't heard from my guy yet. Let's see how the next couple of days go & I'll update you guys with my dilemma.

I had a similar issue with leaking in my Charger, come to find out it was my water pump the whole time.
Ended up changing that out then my harmonic balancer started to wobble 🤦🏽‍♂️. In the mist of changing that got a new pulley because it started to grind.

Got all of that fixed week and a half later my car was stolen. I heard it start up and said oh wow that sounds beautiful. Come to find out it was my car 😪.
I’m ehhh semi ok now it’s been a month but it’s still such a sick feeling.

Had Uconnect but they were worthless, I almost wish I didn’t report it stolen I could’ve found it myself.

Back
Top Bottom