Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

Heard that only a very small percentage of WS on fields are made in the USA. Most are crap. But with the cubs winning, one of those articles posted a few weeks back made mention that they are looking at selling some million odd + WS hats.

No one cares about quality when its been 70+ years.. NE gets another pass :smh:

wallyhopp wallyhopp

What's the oldest official on-field 5950 you have seen in the "low profile" or low crown version? :nerd: Anybody? :nerd:
Any older than this?...2000-2002ish...

Official 5950 "low profile" versions may not have been available (at retail/other than player issue) in the '90's yet? Not the early-mid '90's anyway...

:nerd:

i know low crown isn't the most popular on nt tho

Oh ok, I was always curious as to whether there were fakes of those or not. I'm skeptical to buy in the aftermarket for that reason, the money for the hat doesn't bother me, just the authenticity

Green Rhino 123
Heard that only a very small percentage of WS on fields are made in the USA. Most are crap. But with the cubs winning, one of those articles posted a few weeks back made mention that they are looking at selling some million odd + WS hats.

wallyhopp wallyhopp

What's the oldest official on-field 5950 you have seen in the "low profile" or low crown version? :nerd: Anybody? :nerd:
Any older than this?...2000-2002ish...

Official 5950 "low profile" versions may not have been available (at retail/other than player issue) in the '90's yet? Not the early-mid '90's anyway...

:nerd:

i know low crown isn't the most popular on nt tho
Officially marked as "low crown" or low profile? That hat you posted may be the oldest one. MADE in USA is mysteriously missing lol. Even back then, it seems like LCs and Cooperstown "retros" were made overseas.. I have one low profile hat from I want to say 2011. All black mets on field. Fit is terrible, its made overseas, and the material attracts airborne particles like there is no tomorrow. I want to say more than 90% of all low profile caps are made overseas. I know Ichiro was doing the whole low crown thing from what seems like since 2001.

Currently a lot of older vintage hats (and even newer on fields) you see on ebay just have that low crown look from constant wear, the crown just showing its age as it loses its "pop", and maybe some were actually constructed just a little bit lower.

Looking at memorabilia websites for game worn hats, most appear low crown after constant use. I definitely notice a difference over the years on many of the hats I have. 1992-1995 seemed higher crown than say a 1998. 2000s were all within the '98 era.

The snapback High crown look that we see today was maybe truly around MLB on field hats for a two decade span. The current true high crown look, we can thank China for as they have been doing that with 90% of the "fashion" custom hats out there.

Normal on fields basically turn into low crowns after use. So I havent really been a huge fan of them. Low crowns look awful on my head. Dad hat status. yet a broken in on field with the same initial 'look' looks better. Artificially low crown or low profile hats seem too low IMHO.

That hat you posted may be the oldest one. MADE in USA is mysteriously missing lol. Even back then, it seems like LCs and Cooperstown "retros" were made overseas..

Wally, it says made in the usa in the second pic...the main tag...

but i think you're right that it may be from when they started officially releasing low crown 5950 on-field caps...it may be the earliest
and i don't think they made as many then as now
and i remember ichiro, from the same time as this cap

:pimp:

:nthat:

Last edited:
Y'all complaining about overseas made but 99% of the poly on fields I had were USA. Out of the 40+ I've bought actually only one was made in China :lol:

The USA fit like crap either way and way too big

^ i do not prefer poly - whether overseas or domestic

i enjoy wool

Same here but I don't do remakes

Wish they would go back to wool on fields but that's out of the question, everything is poly and will remain that way too they find a better material and it won't be wool

it's a damn shame New Era put their stupid logo on the side of an on field cap....made in chinas :smh:

Pretty sure the only way to get a USA cap is in chicago

Y'all complaining about overseas made but 99% of the poly on fields I had were USA. Out of the 40+ I've bought actually only one was made in China :lol:

The USA fit like crap either way and way too big

How lately have you been buying hats? There is a new wave just this past year where it's just beyond 1 out of 40, and into a majority of market places. All on field here.

If its gonna suck, at least let it be American born and raised. Prices are going up, and yet, if its China made or USA made, they "cost" us consumers the same (we know darn well getting them made overseas, NE is lining their pockets 3x-4x). Somethings not right. This is the time to shine for that Buffalo factory. Yet I feel all the Buffalo shop may be doing is taking China hats and adding patches in house.

But I generally have no true preference. It tends to wander in the middle. As noted in past posts, I have 2000 era on fields 100% wool usa made that fit terribly. I have first year 2007 Poly on fields that fit terribly. I have some vietnam caps that fit better than some american made caps. I just generally prefer the crown to not be so frickin high and obtrusive. China made has a tendency to have many of their hats sit in that manner. Plus there is no doubt quite a bit of the China material is vastly different. Dust bunnies and such love Chinese Wool and Poly. That's what it comes down to. If I had to choose, USA all the way. Otherwise, I'm not anti overseas.

But anymore, we have Made in USA (of Imported Materials), so we are slowly skewing away from any real difference. Soon itll be all the same.

I have some custom wool hats china made that fit and feel better than 2000 era on fields. So there is no doubt that I will give NE a chance no matter who makes it

I didn't read the whole point I'm saying for years mine been all USA yet all I hear is how people get stuck with made in China hats for on fields.

Like I said as much as people praise the USA made, I think the sizing is way off. My China hat was spot on size wise BTW

So with all these older fitted we all like to pull out every so often what's everyone's method for fixing the "Pointy crown"?

I would much rather my hats be made in the usa

but this isn't a problem for me as i'm not interested in the new hats anyway

If a 5 year old overseas can make a fitted as good as an older American worker then i'm good with it. Kids gotta eat too.

Back
Top Bottom