Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

Braves retro classic arrived
31876150-C28B-4559-9A49-B6265FF0EAF6.jpeg

Retro classic on the left. 2001 era on field on the right.

Colors match perfectly. The 2001 on field has seen better days color wise as it's a bit yellowed and faded. Logo size is perfect. The retro classic has a flatter stitching vs the 2001 era having one that is propped up with foam. Sizing is a touch tight for my big head. I can sometimes fit a 7 3/4, but usually opt for 7 7/8. I can definitely stretch it and make it work.

When the lids retro classics do it right, they do a great job. There is some slight glue stains and loose threads. But overall, of the 60 plus caps that they did, this is one of maybe a half dozen they did right (just by looking at online photos). I would have to say that my intuition was right. Pretty much spot on to the 1992-1995 era where they had the batterman, grey under, and flat logo. Can't complain for $22 bucks shipped. I'm not totally a purist. I saw some originals going for $40 shipped on eBay. This, for almost half the cost, will suffice. Well done

Anyone order from hatclub.com recently? My black Friday order still hasn't shipped. I told them I changed my mind and just want a refund. Still no response. My PayPal/cc was charged last week. May have to escalate things with PayPal.

Edit. Got an email. They finally shipped the order.

UPS is already on 2-4 day delays for packages. Order now people. I may barely get this in time for Christmas.

Last edited:
Some black Friday pickups finally arrived.
Hat club came through with fast shipping at least.

FE0C3231-808C-4107-9AE7-31A527B721D6.jpeg

Not sold on the made in USA with imported materials quality. Basically China made fit and feel overall. Glad I got them relatively below retail. I have a navy/red Indians ws 97 China made and they are basically identical. Crown is a bit high on both too. USA made alone anymore is not enough. They seem to catch lint as bad some as China made caps I have.

Mickey's place coming through nicely.
13212CA6-DF0F-43E0-9BE8-9A164B50E1E2.jpeg

All are China made. 93 Marlin's is 100% poly grey under. Color wise, I don't have the retro classic anymore but this one doesn't have any real hints of blue. So I'd say the color is perfect.

1950s Indians wahoo. Green under. 100% wool.
1996 home/away set of he Milwaukee Brewers MB. One is 80% wool/20% poly. Other is 100% wool. Both grey unders.

Here's a little compare and contrast of some other MB caps I have.

'16 TBTC Brewers on field. Black under. Poly. Vs. Made in China custom
3CC31D7E-3FF2-4BB5-A65E-14B438B26268.jpeg

Green color a touch more ND fighting Irish green on custom vs TBTC, which is almost more aqua.

Two other Cooperstown collection made in China customs vs. Newly acquired made in China custom

678B2105-6A1F-457D-A473-AF5399FEFC3B.jpeg

Latest is on the top. Green stitching too green.
Bottom right custom has raised stitching and I deflagged it. Green under. Too green of sttiching.
Bottom lefts bill is a touch more green. Green under. Flat stitching using more teal green, which is more accurate.

All three have different materials too. One is 80/20 wool/poly, another 100% wool, and the last 80/20 acrylic/poly.

Only thing truly off on the Mickey's place caps are the batterman. Raised and bulky. It takes away from an otherwise solid cap. Logo size and colors generally within a few notches of the real deal (based off memory). Unlike some other Cooperstown collection caps and even your retro classics. This is the proper way to do a retro lineup. I see a MB cap on lids using the darker navy shade. 100% wrong there. Glad to see Mickey's place supplied with solid made in China options.

Would I drop $35 retail on these Cooperstown customs? No. But the $20-25 range is acceptable imho.

Last edited:
^nice. Green unders have grown on me. A stitched batterman and green under does go right into the late 92-93 era. Great pickup. Got my eyes on the home version. No one wants to see below $30.

Two more pickups.

Duplicates but I had to have em.

2003-2005 Minnesota Twins dark navy set
100% wool. Grey under. Made in USA.
B6EAC40D-5AD9-4DB3-AAEB-24B8765A1E85.jpeg

FEF1CACE-13B6-4F17-BE3A-9A35CAD5DEB3.jpeg

Interesting note on the TC cap. Stitching is leaning a bit and the batterman is positioned a solid 1/2 inch above the bottom of the sweatband
1F03FE97-9F1D-4568-AF0B-7F2872082CCE.jpeg

The black label is my other TC cap, which is pretty much perfect.
F77F6FA1-C3C7-4643-A775-8483BFE09759.jpeg

Top batterman (black label cap with perfect T) is much closer to the edge than the bottom batterman.

That cap has two obvious flaws.

So even back in 2003-2005, you had a select few caps who made it out as basically B grade caps. Sadly most of what is produced now is B grade. Regardless, be careful out there. Not all made in USA is graded the same.

I'd still take every flaw in the book if I got quality wool and construction. So the flaws aren't a deal breaker. Throw them on a cheap Chinese cap and I'd be mad as a consumer.

Last edited:
Here's to a better new year for us new era cap collectors/fans. I still hate the flag on almost everything. So that won't change. But maybe better tbtc retros in mlb.

Last three pickups of 2017

528231DA-4735-40B8-BFD9-65B9419C6B9D.jpeg

-2012-2015 Milwaukee brewers on field. Poly. Made in China.
- 2003-2005 Los Angeles dodgers on field. Wool. Made in USA.
-2001 Cleveland Indians on field. Wool. Made in USA.

Eastbay never let me down until today. Was hitting near .1000 with made in USA poly. Saw a $12 authentic on field Milwaukee Brewers and went for it. Disappointed to find it made in China. It's a bit more of a thin material and construction is a bit out of wack.

Other two are gems. A 2003-2005 era Los Angeles dodgers on field. Made in USA etc. Brand new. Already feels a bit broken in with the crown and bill. A beautiful hat.

Next is a bit of a mystery. 2001 era Cleveland Indians on field, with a glued on 100th anniversary American league charter patch. It doesn't feel or look custom glued. Anyone know anything about this?
26C37452-203D-44C6-A78B-F2068A4FDF3E.jpeg

371DBF74-9F8B-4A18-80F0-E9694F308844.jpeg

Last up is a made in China custom ive had for a couple years vs. The real deal made in USA on field. I could have done without the patch as I really was just missing the 97-2002 era of navy/red on fields, but the patch is well done
59B91D48-72AD-4579-855F-61A7C9DEDFC8.jpeg

Custom is on the right. This one has different elements that Re raised vs flat. The feather on both is flat. The China retro has a bit more of a raised cheek and nose but truly, this is as close as you'll get. Well done China.

So much heat HC brings out. Kudos there.. I hate the price point and will only buy retail 5% of the time. I can live without a $45 poly blend perfectly created cap in exchange for a slightly used 2000 era wool at more than half the cost. That or I can scourge around on ebay and get 3 caps for the price of one HC cap. I see all these dudes with non stop HC pickups. I dont know how they do it. I went there for their BF sale and was satisfied. But would feel slightly ripped off paying retail.. When you can get 20-30 year gems at $40-$60 on ebay, the prospect of the new retail price being $36-$40 sucks

I feel the same way, can’t justify paying those prices... It’s insane, prices increased and quality decreased

I wanted to get a fitted the other day at HC, they offered me their 15% discount and I still couldn’t pull the trigger :smh:

iDon’tRead iDon’tRead
Was that twins a recent pickup? Those showed up on lids when they first came out in July, then dropped off pretty quickly. Looks solid. One of the only major sellouts that I can remember. Most are still online to some degree. Still need a flat logo M Twins cap with green under. Missed my chance about two years back. Still regret it. I think the retro classic has a bit of a smaller logo, as I posted up in here back in July.

I've been slacking.
I saw a few new retro classics on lids.

-95 era Navy blue SD Padres white/orange. Logo seems a tad small but otherwise, looks decent. Best of the bunch
-98 era black/aqua Diamondbacks road. Its a CGI image, so I wonder how that turned out. Graphics seem solid enough.
-2001-2005 era black/yellow/yellow Pirates cap... This is all sorts of wrong.. Shouldnt be flat. Underbill should actually be RED. Batterman wrong colors. P logo seems too big
- 1997-1999 era navy/ Brewers gold M.. Cgi graphic again, so I wonder how that ended up looking.
- 1993 era St. Louis Cardinals Navy blue road with red/white STL. White border stitching way too thick.. Top button should be red. Lids has it has navy blue. STL logo takes up way too much of the front of the crown. Too big.

They are still batting less than .200 for this series. Waiting for the price drop and I scoop at $15.

Crazy how logo sizes have been their biggest issue. Either too small, or too big more than 80% of the time

Last edited:
Yea was a lids pickup.. do realize the Padres one is smaller .. I guess I’ll wear this one more daily compared to my actual older one ... I know the two logos are different but the og one still has similar size font logo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 5
^ I don't know much (first hand) beyond what people have posted online over the years.
Using http://mlbcollectors.com/ as a reference, the Retro classic uses a darker NYY navy (which was only used on the older era of caps).

Right around 1998, the padres shifted to a lighter shade of navy blue for all caps. At that same time, they also introduced an all navy blue SD in white. That's where some confusion comes into play.

For the most part, 80% of these lids retro classics are hybrids of eras.. For one, the SD logo changed to have some points and edges (like your lighter navy OG shows). A darker navy straight cut SD logo never existed, which makes the lids retro classic a bit unique, if not totally incorrect.

Comparing the two, the OG lighter navy is still a bit bigger in size. I have a made in china custom SD cap that has a perfect SD sized logo.. There just isnt any more room for excuses to be heard from lids. Travesty,

That lids retro ends up being closer to a 1991-1997 darker navy all white SD 'make believe ROAD cap' hybrid than anything else. Still kinda cool. Just nothing I would pay retail for.

Thought the straight edge one was after the orange d and white s ? Just that the lids one I got Is a smaller logo

^yeah it was. The darker navy came first though, so much like a lot of stuff lids does, they are not historically accurate.

Just for some historical context.. This darker navy and more square edged SD was the mainstay of the 90s. The more square edged SD has been around since the beginning
s-l500.jpg

In '98, they went lighter navy
s-l300.jpg

And added an all light navy/ white SD
s-l500.jpg

That was followed up by the sharper edged SD that we know today.
s-l500.jpg

More noticeable here on the edges of the D and S
s-l300.jpg

Lids basically went out and created a 1991-1993 dark navy/white SD alternate cap with flat stitching, when we know their intent was for it to be like the third image above (a lighter navy with raised stitching).

They messed up in the rightest of ways I guess you can say. Apologies on the tangent/rant.

Last edited:
That GB logo above reminds me of this forgotten era of NE caps that the NFL released early to mid 1990s

I tried to find what I could. Sort of a take on trying to 'MLBize' the NFL on fields. Some work better than others

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

8d10a49642438fc232dad062e2af8395.jpg

il_570xN.1150427998_g18o.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

f_as_in_frank_vintage_clothing_284_95014797-507f-4994-a6a6-f742d41dfa31.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

In large part, forgotten for a reason. These were experiments to a whole new level. I think only the regular SF and G Gb packer logo stuck. Everything else scrapped.

I do like the Bucs TBB, the Saints NOS, Vikings, and Jets

I do appreciate the innovation some 25 odd years ago to change things up a touch. I own zero current era NFL on field caps. Too large of logos and just nothing that seems to pop on a hat.

Some latest finds.
I guess last week on one of the days, it was national hat day. HC was having a sale. Trying to round out my Indians collection.
A069B7F3-E6F5-4AC4-947D-3A5ECCB4EB3B.jpeg

No longer convinced made in USA means anything anymore when each one of these is made with imported materials. Quality is solid but no longer are the materials that softer looking felt seen up through 2015 on on fields. Definitely not worth $40.

Side by side with a made.in China custom
F5576F67-2204-42A2-A260-5EEE25E46BB9.jpeg

And a 2001 on field vs. HC custom
1B2DE5B3-0C0A-4166-BEC0-E21FFDE633F3.jpeg

The only noticeable difference on the made in China vs Hc is the wahoo logo. It's raised a bit too much on the made in China ( especially around the house and cheek). The HC and the 2001 , the logo is barely raised. So it's definitely more accurate in that regard.

Not sure I'll have a find like this again all year. Calling it my find of the year. I was just talking about wanting a twins green under and missing out on one years ago. Happened to see these four together.
2C5BFF28-D071-43A2-AF4E-C76D8640D2DA.jpeg

78A4A9D9-F471-4833-8BAF-DF1BF36F68BB.jpeg

DBC3DFD6-FED9-4AB3-86F1-25AA0A61BE1A.jpeg
C0C3316F-DB73-446E-B214-DD7C08030F81.jpeg

Dude basically said they were man cave displays. Sold as 'used' in that regard. Frickin 9.5/10 pristine condition. Crown and fit is a bit weird for that era. Almost looks like an old timey hat on my head but I can make it work. Bills have some give still. The sweatbands are still pretty much bright white. And with everything I generally buy, it's my wearable size.

We basically have:
-'85-'87 Chicago Cubs on field green under no batterman made in USA 100% wool
-'87 first year M Minnesota Twins on field green under no batterman made in USA 100% wool
-'87 first year Navy and red Atlanta Braves on field grey under no batterman made in USA 100% wool
-'89 San Francisco giants on field grey under no batterman made in USA 100% wool

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom