Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

Fellas can you help me out here, cause I'm confused about these patches. Two weeks ago I received a black 2001 AZ Diamondbacks WS patch fitted. I'm looking on 4uCaps and see that the patch on the stock photo on the site is different than what I received. Both the black and purple fitteds seem to have different patches, why is that?

https://www.4ucaps.com/products/ari...es-new-era-59fifty-fitted?variant=14853573443

https://www.4ucaps.com/products/ari...es-new-era-59fifty-fitted?variant=14853574275

IMG_20190205_215210.jpg

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry
And that's the jist of new eras inaccuracies right there. Sorry to hear that.

The biggest problem is new era has a system in place where the logo they ended up using is in their 'system' as a world series logo graphic. For many many world series', the hat patch differed from other official branded logos.

For the above logo, it would seem earlier runs had the correct banner graphic, and newer new releases coming through with the 'updated' official ws graphic logo.

Both should have the banner like this HC custom set
arizona_diamondbacks_2001_world_series_patch_fitted_caps_02.jpg

Here's a graphic of official WS logos
DXycDOTX4AAOIzG.jpg

2001 was a rare year because the reproductions were actually correct for once. It sucks they went back tothe flying ball.

And heres a 2000 reproduction next to an original
1-New-York-Yankees-MLB-2000-World-Series-Onfield-Replica-Navy-And-White-Hat-With-White-Sweatband-And-Gray-Under-Visor-Custom-New-Era-59fifty-Fitted-5950-4.jpg

a5f937ebdedd0b8e9e8f3fe6177381c0---world-series-hats.jpg

Even mlbshop has the black 2001 with the flying baseball. 4u probably has some old stock photos. Hatclub has the correct banner ws cap in black. It appears to be a regular Chinese custom. Older stock item.

Off the top of my head I wanna say 2003-2007 ws reproduction caps have the wrong patch logos vs what was worn on field. 2001 is that rare year it was done right before they switched up. I couldn't tell you why but that's NE for you.

To throw a wrench into matters, you'll also see NE have the patch on the wrong side. So it's kind of rare to get all those elements right on a reproduction, sadly.

Last edited:
For some clarification...

here is one example...

the 2004 red sox wore this patch during the ws...

s-l1600 (3).jpg

fvvdv.jpg

but after the ws - new era started selling hats with this patch...

s-l1600 (2).jpg

...and most "2004 red sox ws" hats you see have this second logo (whether retro or original) that surfaced after the ws and was not worn on field during the ws...which is the logo on the poster

So in at least one case (and I think I've seen Mets or Yankees hats like this too)...
There were hats with the official on-field logo - and then hats made after the WS as kind of champion hats - with a new logo not worn during the series.

if one wants to know exactly what their specific team wore on field during a specific ws - look it up
go to the footage itself - don't rely on anyone or any company to present what they say was worn

Last edited:
Does anybody have any good recommendations on places online that can make a custom New Era snapback? Someone has suggested CapBeast but some of their reviews are a little iffy.

green rhino123 green rhino123 nice clarification. I didn't realize originals had the different patches too. I always saw it more as a 'retro' custom issue. It makes sense. What the players wore and what was immediately available are the glued on variety. When they got around to reproductions, the 'official' patch was used.

I know most of the customs have a true sewn into the side side patch, which I prefer. The originals all appear to be glued on, even dating back to the 1996 era of WS caps. So for some, the latter patches aren't so bad

green rhino123 green rhino123 nice clarification. I didn't realize originals had the different patches too. I always saw it more as a 'retro' custom issue.

I know most of the customs have a true sewn into the side side patch, which I prefer. The originals all appear to be glued on, even dating back to the 1996 era of WS caps. So for some, the latter patches aren't so bad

I don't how often that happened - the two hats things...that's why individual fans have to do the research on their own team(s.)

And yes - at least some of the glued on original retail on-field patches fell off easily...making those caps more collectors items than wearable beater joints imo

Last edited:
Mlbshop officially raised their on field prices to match lids. HC is closely trending their caps to $45 range. Depressing because I had this happen to a recent HC custom
2a8gd9e.jpg

Right seam is splitting right down the middle. I have a few others that are showing signs of the same. I guess it's a MUSA with Imported materials issue. The cap couldn't be more than three months and 20 wears old.

Back to hunting eBay for grey unders.

wallyhopp wallyhopp green rhino123 green rhino123

Thanks for the history lesson, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to fitteds. I just used to buy them off the rack at Lids when I was younger.

New pickups from the 4u 25% off sale...

Love the patches on both, even though I know the A's one isn't accurate. From the pics, I can tell those patches were never placed on the side of the fitted, only on the sleeve of the jersey. Also, the batterman seems to be raised instead of flat like the Marlins one. I don't know if that detail was era-specific.

IMG_20190209_125429.jpg
IMG_20190209_125633.jpg

That's some solid fuzz on the As hat. Is it 100% wool?

I believe 1996 was the first year with WS patches on the side of on field hats. 1992 was the first year of the batterman. 1992-2006, the batterman was flat. 2007-current, it's raised. I've seen customs and Cooperstown collection caps have either batterman. Rarely are they accurate. With that said, I'd call the Marlins 99% accurate to the on field specs.

I'm not even sure when WS jersey patches got inserted onto jerseys. But yeah. Anything pre 1996 Ws patch is 100% a made up 'custom'. The As does have the accurate jersey sleeve patch with a raised batterman that shouldn't be there at all. So it's more of a current era custom. Not bad at all.

That's some solid fuzz on the As hat. Is it 100% wool?

I believe 1996 was the first year with WS patches on the side of on field hats. 1992 was the first year of the batterman. 1992-2006, the batterman was flat. 2007-current, it's raised. I've seen customs and Cooperstown collection caps have either batterman. Rarely are they accurate. With that said, I'd call the Marlins 99% accurate to the on field specs.

I'm not even sure when WS jersey patches got inserted onto jerseys. But yeah. Anything pre 1996 Ws patch is 100% a made up 'custom'. The As does have the accurate jersey sleeve patch with a raised batterman that shouldn't be there at all. So it's more of a current era custom. Not bad at all.

no, materials say 70% acrylic and 30% wool

Lids is having 30% off, finally grabbed a few fitteds. Been waiting for them to go on sale but Lids been funny with the sales.

Lids keeps randomly excluding different items. Retro classics were fine last sale. MiLBs were fine last sale too. Yet clearance aren't excluded? Lol

Cubs and dodgers PS and WS patch caps a great deal though. Can't beat $10/hat. I'll give them that.

My hats from Lids finally arrived. I quickly remembered why I barely buy hats now.

Three of them fit great, the other two don’t fit at all. They’re all the same size. The prices are crazy. Some of them I could see the old prices on them from a few months ago.

Anyone seen the PR hat anywhere for cheap? I need a bigger size.

7F62784E-C2B6-45EF-9A27-167E50871374.jpeg

^How much bigger are we talking about? Anymore I have a hat jack ready to increase a caps diameter and some felt material bought from a fabric store to reduce a caps size. Sometimes it's a single layer or I triple up. Just throw it under the sweatband. Amazon has some official foam pieces that do the same

Februarys been good to me. Some new pickups
15cby9g.jpg

-Lids 1948 Cleveland Indians custom. Made in China wool. Green under. Quality is just okay. Worst of the bunch as far as crown stiffness. I didn't even realize their primary logo was mirrored during that time. It's always been on the cap in the other fashion. Cool insight.
-1997 original Pittsburgh pirates grey. Musa 100% wool grey under. Pristine condition given its color and age. Barely used.
-2009 era Minnesota Twins cool base era alternate M. Can't have enough of these. Musa. 100% poly. Black under.
2ev9h6o.jpg

-two HC custom Albuquerque Dukes (AAA MiLB team) vintage A logo caps. Not sure why they were on a deep discount. Musa with imported poly. Green under.
- lids find for $9. Made in China 100% poly LA Dodgers ws 2017 side patch. Black under. Quality is a touch better than a straight 100% wool made in China cap but it lacks a bit of fuzz and the crown stitching is a bit crooked. Barely worth $9
-lids find for $12. 2018 Houston Astros ws gold ceremony side patch on field. Musa with imported materials. As soft and nice as the earlier stuff. Super soft. Stellar find.

Averaged out to $15/hat. Three from lids, two from HC, and two from eBay. Got about 60% off retail by bargain hunting.

...and most "2004 red sox ws" hats you see have this second logo (whether retro or original) that surfaced after the ws and was not worn on field during the ws...which is the logo on the poster

that's because new era made a crap load of Yankees world series hats that had to be recalled so da red sox ones weren't available till late.

Back
Top Bottom