Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

IMG_3763.JPG Slidz is pure trash. All these "ultimate patch collection" fitteds and the patches aren't even fully embroidered. see the difference, and these are hats I got from the usual NY spots. It's sad when the made in China johnts are way better than these revamped slidz blunders

Attachments

• IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3762.PNG
    IMG_3762.PNG
    574.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3765.PNG
    IMG_3765.PNG
    539.6 KB · Views: 16
Wow shoesfortrade shoesfortrade that current patch stitching is a joke. Looks to be a general border stitch around the patch. So lazy yet they upcharge us. I love posts like that. I definitely have no issues with my made in china customs. They've been doing grey and green unders long before this retro classic hype.

I've always been iffy on side patches. Correct me if I'm wrong, I want to say almost all of the World Series patches were glued on, even dating back to the early 2000s. 2010ish is when I remember they going with a chrome plastic look.

I'm iffy because I have some made in China customs that have the ws patch sewn on in great detail. 1995 and 1997 Indians come to mind. I don't think they are entirely accurate but I feel they have been improved with real stitching. A comparison of a real 1997 ws on field vs. the customs and the custom detail is so much nicer.

Here's a historically accurate 1997 ws patched on field
s-l500.jpg

vs. a Custom "made in china" world series patched hat
Florida-Marlins-MLB-1997-World-Series-Replica-Team-Colors-On-Field-Collection-Custom-New-Era-Fitted-Cap-5950-59fifty-2.jpg

There are times a "stitched on to a hat in its entirety" patch is well worth it, and its a lot of these older world series customs. I have a '85 twins that is quality, as well as a '69 mets. Neither of those had patches on during their actual play, but I appreciate a fully sewn on patch almost 100% of the time. A lot of those world series patch hats aren't so bad in the scheme of things. Its just recently that we see this ultimate patch half $*%ery

Latest pickup. Been following this one for months. Seller finally decides to drop to near give away price.
IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

Brand new made in USA wool perfection. 2003-2005 Chicago Cubs road on field.

FYI craniumfitteds is having 50% off of sale items. Let's see if they ship. I went pretty deep with the sale. Quite a few gems coming. I did alright with my birthday week so I am treating myself.

Last edited:
Bert. Bert. Pretty much the last page where you ORDER REVIEW after you check out and select your address etc.. You can actually click the ORDER REVIEW button ahead of time just to see what your saving, and then go back to payment option etc.

So you pretty much CHECKOUT, then log in as a current or new customer. From there you can enter or skip the shipping info/billing info and go straight to the ORDER REVIEW. That's the one spot to enter your promo code

Shipping kills much of the sale, but I did some math. $13 take home on MLB on fields is not a bad deal. They want to charge me $36 shipping on 12 on fields. But overall, not a bad deal. I would have to scout and hunt for many of these on fields eventually falling into my lap for that price.

Last edited:
Didn't even buy fitteds lol

copped some skateboard trucks and wheels for $14 shipped. prob crap but meh

A lot of these shops are still holding onto the cool base era on fields. Then again, all they pretty much had was kids sizes or size 8, with only a few teams with FSRs. But for what is essentially $10.50/fitted plus shipping, one would be rather naive to not try to buy at least one. Pretty much every on field that I am seeing on sale has the COOL BASE sticker tagging, which is generally more accurate in sizing than your current era stuff. Definitely a steal IMHO.

I'm a touch more confident buying that era online vs. this current era. Just remember your average joe is dropping $40 plus for an on field at your local ball park. Online shoppers can get what is 3-6x the value. Easy choice for me.

^ 2012 was the first year New Era started using the Chromaflex side patches for the World Series On-Field's.

2010 they were still using the glued on "felt" patches.

jonwin jonwin Good info.

I have a '11 rangers WS in felt, along with a '12 chromaflex tigers WS. It's just an interesting change of pace that NE and MLB took. My '00 WS patch Mets is glued on but by all accounts is a stitched appearance of a glued on stitched patch.

I did some digging and it seems like after the 2003 world series between the Marlins and Yankees, they went to felt. Then from 2004 to 2011, exclusively felt.

I guess we saw this coming years ago. But truly the way to go was the fake stitched logo that was glued. All the other options are terrible. Fake stitched has the best blend imho.

Yet when we see some customs come out (like they did with the mets '15 WS patch
NEW_YORK_METS_2015_WORLD_SERIES_NEW_ERA_59FIFTY_FITTED_Patch_large.JPG

), those hats had sewn on patches, making them 10x better than the "real" thing imho.

I really want to to see the Custom hats increase creativity and force NE to make some tough decisions.

Unless its a custom or on sale, I generally avoid patch hats.

So many of the WS patch customs went the route of sewning on the patch. I consider that a huge improvement. It's not often overseas can outdo the local NE

^ contrary to seemingly popular opinion on here, i actually like the chromaflex patches.

Think the quality is good and more durable than the "felt" ones we saw from 2004-2011.

I admit it's not the most "traditional" look but i'll argue the quality is better than the felt glued on.

The "felt' ones were super easy to rip off whereas the chromaflex ones (from 2012-2014) you had to legit make an effort to rip them off.

I do think the more recent ones (2015-2016) the quality of heat-sealed chromaflex has fallen off and more easy to rip off.

I'm biased b/c I"m a Giants fan so the 2012 and 2014 hats I'm straight with since the quality is fine IMO

Lids has some Turn Back the Clock fitteds on sale for $20. Some of them are real dope. Not a lot of sizes though.

need 2 yankees of them retro joints and if they release the black mets fitted that's a double up too.

IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
I got some of the retro classics today. Picked up the Yankees and Dodgers hat. Only ones in my size really. Was able to use the Lids code they had last weekend (either 25 or 30% off). Got them in and am not super impressed with them. I just feel like they could have been better.

My buddy also got the Sox hat and compared to the poly onfield from last year the logo is quite smaller. Don't know if I will keep these or return them.

IMG_3088.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG
I usually wear Mariners hats...although they haven't been all that great in the last 16 years...they are my main team. Picked up these two hats earlier this week off eBay. Both of them triple ups but I just can't pass up the fit and feel of these older wool hats. Hands down my favorite hats to wear.

IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
And this is a repost but my pictures didn't transfer when the forum changed. Couldn't pass up this UW hat. It's actually 30% wool/70% acrylic. Made in Korea. Still fits like a glove.

sorry threeoneoh threeoneoh . It was $15 shipped a couple times a few weeks back. It finally went down even more. I had to scoop it up.

nice stuff ruckus2115 ruckus2115 I can't help but feel like that dodger blue is the wrong shade. It just doesnt look right next to a Yankee cap. Maybe someone will compare it like you did with the White Sox. Looking at mlbcollectors, they said they widened the logo many years back, but this just looks like a smaller logo all together. I just don't know what they are going for here.

I even want to say the NY logo is too big, as I compare it to a '95 era flat logo on field. Someone try a side by side there. It's close. But its sad when thats good enough.

On IG, they posted up a kelly green Oakland A's hat (along with a TB Rays black/ AZ diamondbacks bronze snake/ navy redsox). I bet it's grey under on the As, even though there is a 13 year difference (and the shade of green) between the two eras. That's NEs laziness at play.

If they could somehow get a green under and no batterman, that would be really going back to 1981. They don't realize they are on the cusp of something great. I think they cookie cuttered the crap out of these. They basically flat logoed everything and went wool/gray under without checking for total accuracy. And while they are at it, batterman on everything with mis matched buttons. It makes it seem like they dont own any older hats to compare side by side too and went off internet photos

wallyhopp wallyhopp

^ that's b/c it is the wrong blue like I already mentioned lol.

It's not Dodger blue, that hat is using the Royals/Cubs/Mets royal blue which is lighter than Dodgers.

And like I also mentioned, that White Sox, Dodgers and Rangers hats are all using the kids-sized logos instead of the proper full size

I was giving them a benefit of doubt since a lot of stock photos are brightened and shades of blue/teal/purple look different in person. There is no doubt it's wrong. How wrong? We're talking shades but there is no doubt dodger blue is dodger blue.

Mets/dodgers/cubs
IMG_2871.JPG

Dodger blue in middle for contrast
IMG_2873.JPG

People may laugh but it's definitely an issue

From top to bottom
Brewers Mb glove/Mets/dodgers/cubs/2004 era road cap
IMG_2875.JPG

Surprisingly the cubs for a short time actually had their road caps in a darker dodger blue. For the most part, we have the lighter blue and then your darker blue.

Really surprised and sad NE botched something like this. 99% of their ws patched or China customs get it right.

wallyhopp wallyhopp think you're putting the "blame" on wrong people, it's more Lids that got the hats wrong as they designed the hats how they wanted to and New Era signed off on it.

Yes, New Era still had to make the hats and you'd figure they'd have done a "quality/accuracy control check" and corrected the errors but say you work a restaurant and someone orders a weird pizza or sandwich and they're giving you money for it, are you gonna put thaaaaat much thought into it and tell them they're ordering it wrong?

Btw, I"m not defending New Era and implying they never mess anything up on things like this as they have done so but remember this is a Lids release.

Dodgers/Rangers/Phillies Alt use the same dark royal so technically you could say the Rangers blue hats are "Dodger Blue" but nobody gonna call it out like that since it'd sound weird.

Royals/Cubs/Mets/Brewers retro alt/Blue Jays all use the "Light Royal" (which is more just "regular" royal to me).

And you're right about Cubs, they were "Dodger Blue" for longest while but switched back in 2014. It was awkward since it was announced they got "new" hats but 99% of general public was like "whut?"

I returned both my hats this evening to my local Lids. Just wasn't happy with the Dodgers or Yankees hat. It just irks me that they turned out like that. Sucks but I just didn't want the hats after I saw them in hand. I know for sure I will get the Pirates hat and if the logo is smaller I'll just brush it off. The fit on these wool hats is what I like.

I have a few poly hats that are the same size I always get (ordered online) that are just a hair bit too bitv What's the best way to shrink down the poly hats?

ruckus2115 ruckus2115 I would say to give them a spray of water to dampen the sides and let it sit in a hot car. I have my beater on fields sitting in my car and they tend to shrink from being sweat in.

Big pickup post

Screw the retro classic lineup when mistakes are made. I went right to the source at half the cost.

1992 Chicago White Sox on field. Made in USA. 100% wool/grey under
IMG_2943.JPG

Flat pronounced logo. What were they thinking with kids logos?
IMG_2944.JPG

I want to say the crown is a bit more of a trucker cap, which seems to be where my other early era ones are. Absolute perfect fit.

2007 Cleveland Indians 'I' alternate. First year poly. Made in USA.
IMG_2945.JPG

Sale item. Can't beat $8.50.

2007-2008 Pittsburgh Pirates alternate. First year poly. Made in USA.
IMG_2946.JPG

This hat had a small two year run during this time. I missed on a wool on field which dated '97-'00. Interesting how teams so freely use and drop styles.

CF coming through big with a sale that even beat out minor leagues.coms closing sale. I don't mess around with sales. These gems are drying up/taking months to find on eBay. Made a lot of ground with one purchase.
IMG_2949.JPG

-2013-2015 Cincinnati Reds Road. Made in USA. Poly.
-2009-2011 Arizona Diamondbacks red. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.
-2009-2011 Milwaukee Brewers. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.
-2012 St. Louis Cardinals ring ceremony gold based home. Made in USA. Poly. Maybe my favorite of the ring ceremony era. No crazy patches. The gold is enough to signify its meaning.
-2009-2011 Philadelphia Phillies home. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.
2009-2010 Oakland Athletics alternate. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.

IMG_2950.JPG

-Chicago Cubs 1994-2006 road on field. Made in China custom. 100% wool.
-2009-2011 Philadelphia Phillies home alternate. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.
-2009-2011 Colorado Rockies home. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.
-Arizona Diamondbacks 1998-2006 home on field. Made in China custom. 100% wool.
-2009-2011 Houston Astros black & alternate set. Cool base. Made in USA. Poly.

Now here's how you do a custom.
'04 wool USA. Vs. China wool custom.
image.jpg

Same shade of colors. Same logo size. Even that purple d-backs hat is super nice quality. Sizing is a bit wonky. But nice non the less.

^ Coincidentally, I should be able to get my hands on the same "custom remake" versions of that purple Diamondbacks and Cubs road on-field but in USA made form sometime in August.

Side by side of a recently acquired 2007 Pittsburgh Pirates alternate next to a made in China wool custom.
IMG_2959.JPG

This is more to drive home the point that this sort of replication can be done with 99% accuracy. How this new retro classic line is so off irks me to no end.

They aren't without their faults though. Someone made mention awhile back that some of the navy blue made in China customs have more of a purple look. Here is one example.
image.jpg

2007 poly on field on the right. Made in China custom on the left. In person, the custom has more of a deeper near purple hue.

Later I'll show you another iffy example with 95 era padres tbtc vs. Chinese custom.

Back
Top Bottom