Powerful, Inspiring Pictures vol. 2009

This is probally the most powerful to me because it was probally the biggest event in my lifetime.

20030801_irc.jpg

Clinton and JFK

bill20clinton20kennedy2vu5.jpg

Milky Way
MILKYWAY.JPG

Hiroshima Aftermath
hiroshima_aftermath.jpg

Second Flag Raising at Iwo Jima
iwo.jpg

Malcom x MLK Jr
malcom+x+and+martin+pic.jpg

The Washington Mall during Inauguration Day
One+Obama+Inaugural+Celebration+Lincoln+Memorial+AaPX0AsxV1Tl.jpg

Originally Posted by ctdaprince

Originally Posted by Agthekid

Man get Elvis' racist/stealing @%+ outta this thread.
i kno i was feeling the same way he stole alot of his music and style from black artists

yea he did and i dont ever listen to him, thats still a nutty story on how he met nixon none the less

Originally Posted by im that one

i kno i was feeling the same way he stole alot of his music and style from black artists

yea he did and i dont ever listen to him, thats still a nutty story on how he met nixon none the less

What is the story?

I'll add some historic sports pictures...
1980 Miracle on Ice
Miracle_on_Ice_-_Eruzione_goal_celebration.jpg

[size=+0]The U.S. team, made up of college players and long-shot pro aspirants like Eruzione and Buzz Schneider, defeated a Russianprogram that had dominated the Olympics since 1964. The U.S. team beat a Russian team that had seven players from the 1976 Olympic team and one player who hadplayed in three other Olympiads. This event inspired a movie called "Miracle" and has been mentioned as one of the greatest moment in US sports,alongside with Jesse Owen 1936 Olympics moment.

A foot in a door
main_robinson.jpg

Before the first federal Civil Rights Act in 1957 -- before Rosa Parks, before Martin Luther King Jr. -- there was Jackie Robinson. When he took his positionat first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field on Opening Day 1947, he crossed a white line -- and obliterated it -- changing the complexion ofbaseball. America's conscience followed.

1960 Olympic - A star is born
_42451323_ali.jpg

Eighteen-year-old American boxer Cassius Clay, who would later become known as Muhammad Ali, wins gold in the light heavyweight division to take his first steptoward becoming one of the best boxers of all time.

1988 Air Jordan
michael20jordan0sq.jpg

His leaping ability and hang time is unprecedented earning him nicknames 'Air Jordan' and 'His Airness'. It's the beginning of the craze ofAir Jordan and Nike Empire

1958 - Pele, the greatest soccer player of all time
WC58_06S.JPG

59162.jpg

Edison Arantes do Nascimento, best known as Pele, scored his first goal in 1958, to knock out Wales in the quarter-final; at least theTaffies' one World Cup appearance was ended by the greatest player in the history of the game. Pele went on to become the youngest ever player, winner, andscorer in 1958 world cup final against Sweden

The Hand of God - 1986
Argentina and England were in the quarter final soccer world cup in 1986 (the biggest sport event in the world). Maradona (5'5) and PeterShilton (6'1) were up against a high ball. The score was 0-0 at the time. Maradona managed to "outjumped" Peter Shilton and scored the first goalof the match. The referee didn't see it and declared it a goal. When confronted, at first Maradona denied it and then said "un poco con la cabezade Maradona y otro poco con la mano de Dios" (a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God) - make this as one of the famousquote in sport history. England, who was one of the favorite to win it all that year, lost to Argentina 2-1 and Argentina ended up winning the world cup thatyear.
Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

2.jpg

[/size]

The true story is he wanted to meet the president, wrote a letter and dropped it off, and met the president the same day..The guy simply wen to the WHite Houseand asked to meet the President and got to meet him. .Its just funny Elvis was able to do that, to me atleast.

Angel

Oscar Grant Protest
610x.jpg

Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine marching with the masses

610x.jpg

Originally Posted by im that one

What is the story?

He wrote a letter to the president asking to see him. He wanted to get a badge to be a DEA agent. I know so ironic. A prescription drug addict wanting a DEAbadge. LOL. Anyways he had the letter dropped off at the White House, Nixon got it and within a few hours he got to see Nixon.

And took this mugshot for the DEA badge.

BTW- I agree with you that Elvis stole (some can argue stole. All he really did was cover the music.) some of the music but Elvis Presley was not aracist. That story about him saying "All the n*****s are good for is to buy my records and shine my shoes", was proven to be false. He never said it.

heres a couple more...

Cael Sanderson, the greatest college wrestler. His final college accomplishments were a record of 159-0, 4 NCAA titles, 3 Dan Hodge Trophy awards, 4-time NCAAOutstanding Wrestler, and 4-time Big 12 Conference Champion. ThenSanderson won gold at 84 kilograms (190 lb) weight class, and He was also the 2003 World Championship silver medalist, and a three-time national freestylechampion (2001-03).

Kurt Angle (pre-wwe, when he was a true inspiration to me and my career)
He was a two-time NationalCollegiate Athletic Association Division I champion,[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle#cite_note-ka4-4[/sup] national runner-up in 1991, and a 3-time NCAA Division I All-American. In addition, Angle was the 1987 USA Junior Freestyle champion, a 2-time USASenior Freestyle champion, and the 1988 USA International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles Junior World Freestyle champion. Anglecontinued to wrestle and In 1995, he won a gold medal at the World Championships in Atlanta,Georgiahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle#cite_note-ecw173-5. Angle faced further hardships while taking part in the 1996Olympic Trials, when he suffered a severe neck injury, fracturing two of his cervical vertebrae,[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle#cite_note-31[/sup]herniating two discs, and pulling four muscles. Nonetheless, Angle won the trials. By the Olympics, Angle was able to compete, albeit with severalpain-reducing injections in his neck.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle#cite_note-ka4-4[/sup] The injury led to Angle's future claim of having won his Olympic gold medal with a broken neck. He won his gold medal in the heavyweight(90-100 kg; 198-220 lb) weight class.

Greco Throws

roll.gif
at both you salty dudes.

Im not even a big fan but Elvis > you guys.

Yes even fat Elvis.

the glasses and glass of water is to figure out if someones optimistic or not, i know theres a word for that but i cant remember, is you see it half full youoptimistic, if you see it half empty your not

^ no its not. they were the glasses of John Lennon after he got shot. But i like the analogy

eek.gif

Never seen this one...I personally always disliked the Beatles' music but the whole John Lennon story is interesting, and I recognized it immediately
tired.gif

Another Aloha from Hawaii.
The If I Can Dream ending number of the 1968 Comeback special. Itwas a message song of the 60's. Anyone hear it?

- And that pic is powerful because I always have had the hotsfor Anna Benson.
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom