Pre NFL Draft Thread - Update, Jake Long #1

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

I LOVE this for the Vikings.

Their defense now is ridiculous. Their DL and OL are among the tops in the league.

Just need Tavaris to manage the game and this team wins 10

That's still asking too much. I kid, but Tavaris should be much improved on his mechanics for the start of this season.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by bkmac

I think we Jets fans will be pleased with either guy....now if they're both off the board....we are really screwed
laugh.gif
frown.gif

If that's the case, look for the Jets to take Chris Long if it he available.

Ya I mean if the top 5 went....Long, Long, Dorsey, Gholston and DMac.....probably only happens if someone trades up in front of us

Honestly, if that happens, well, I don't know but that would easily be the worst scenario for us in the draft. I wouldn't even know which way to go,if Harvey can play as a 3-4 backer that would probably be the best possible way to go or the only other thing would be to trade down but after those five aregone our pick would lose wayyy too much luster. Ehhh... I don't even wanna think about that happening.

As long as the Jets don't take Matt Ryan, I'm good.

With Jared Allen being traded yesterday, the draft could end up like this

1) Jake Long
2) Vernon Gholston
3) Glenn Dorsey
4) Darren McFadden
5) Chris Long

Then where does that put the Jets?
tired.gif

Yeah, that's the nightmare...

Reports are now they might look to trade up
nerd.gif
ohwell.gif

embarassed.gif
IMO, there's such a huge drop off after those 5 that ifwe do trade up it'll be an absolute rip off.

I completely read that wrong now
embarassed.gif
. Either way, we're gonnaget ripped off. We got more problems then a playmaker.

Yeah, that's the nightmare...

Reports are now they might look to trade up
nerd.gif
ohwell.gif

Oh really, any idea with who? If that situation does go through, I could see the Jets trading down for sure. I honestly don't know the top Jets needsbesides a RB maybe. Any Jets fans wanna fill me in?

Pass Rusher is the most glaring need.

I think the Rams are supposed potential trading partners right now.

Pass Rusher is the most glaring need.

I think the Rams are supposed potential trading partners right now.

Interesting...who would the Jets be targeting at #2? Chris Long or Vernon Gholston I suppose. Probably Chris Long because

he's more polished and seemingly would fit into that 3-4 the jets run. Would #2 be too high to take that explosive weapon

the jets need in Darren?

Thinking back though, I remember there being talks of the Raiders trading down with the Jets so yall could get McFadden and us Gholston/Long.

This draft is interesting to say the least.

Ya I mean if the top 5 went....Long, Long, Dorsey, Gholston and DMac.....probably only happens if someone trades up in front of us
roll.gif
Allen would be having a heart attack... God, I'd love to see the Jets fans in RCMH if that happened...

With the Chiefs back in the mid-1st, they don't have to reach and waste a top 5 pick on Clady or Brandan Albert... Could get ugly for Jets fans.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

roll.gif
Allen would be having a heart attack... God, I'd love to see the Jets fans in RCMH if that happened...

With the Chiefs back in the mid-1st, they don't have to reach and waste a top 5 pick on Clady or Brandan Albert... Could get ugly for Jets fans.
sick.gif

Ya exactly, the Allen trade is no good
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Man only a few days left. I love draft day, can't wait...

As usual...my boys not showing any signs of which direction they may go...oh well

If Ryan doesn't go to the Falcons, is he a lock for Baltimore?

Because if not, I wonder if we see the same thing as last year. The Phins could wait and move back into the first round and get Ryan and still have the OTjust like the Browns did last season. What other teams are looking at Ryan?

Originally Posted by CP1708

If Ryan doesn't go to the Falcons, is he a lock for Baltimore?

Because if not, I wonder if we see the same thing as last year. The Phins could wait and move back into the first round and get Ryan and still have the OT just like the Browns did last season. What other teams are looking at Ryan?

I gota think Baltimore would take him.
If he falls past 8....Kiper is retiring
laugh.gif

The Chiefs just threw a monkey wrench in this draft.

What a great deal they made.

They got three first day picks for a guy who is one drink away from a suspension.

Now they are in a position to take the best player available at 5 take a need (O-line) at 17 and trade back into the end of the first or take a QB at thebeginning of the second. Just the fact that they dont have to reach for an O-lineman at 5 was worth trading Allen good lord.

If they dont come out of this draft with one of the top defensive players, one of those interchangable linemen in the middle of round 1, a QB either by tradingback up or getting Flacco or Henne in round 2, and a WR this draft is a complete failure for KC.
laugh.gif

I wonder how Brodie Croyle feels right about now.
nerd.gif

Shoot if it comes down to it and D-Mac is still on the board they could trade out of that pick and rack up more picks just the screw the Jets over
laugh.gif
Or they could take him or a RB at 17 and push LJ out the door which wouldnt besuch a bad idea at this point. Chiefs draft room is probably going nuts right now.

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 8:43 am EDT
[h4]The Cooley Zone: My draft day story has a happy ending[/h4]
By Chris Cooley

No player really knows where the hell he's going in the draft (except Jake Long). I know this because playing four years in the NFL has taught me that anything is possible. Watching high-profile draftees sulk while teams pick in every different direction but theirs shows that anything is possible

Still, people make a great living deciding which team and city an athlete should play for, but what happens in the 15 minutes on the team's clock falls on the shoulders of all the agents, scouts, GMs and teams.

I went into my own draft day with high hopes, as I'm sure every player does. I was predicted as high as the third tight end taken, down to as low as the sixth or seventh. These predictions put me anywhere from the middle of the second round to anywhere in the fourth. As any player would have, I expected it would be somewhere in the second round. High hopes are more fun.

I made it casually through the morning before the start of the draft. No chance I was getting taken in the first round, so my plans were to go golfing and wait for a phone call. I figured a little golf was much more relaxing. As it turned out golfing on a Saturday in Logan, Utah is a popular event. I made the rounds to four different courses, striking out at all of them. If the first round could have been Sunday it would have worked out great for me. No Mormons golf on Sunday, I would have had the course to myself.

Since golf didn't work out, I did nothing. Waiting around to get drafted felt almost like running on a treadmill. I was helpless to do anything but sit and stare at the clock and wait for it to be over. A parade of naked women could have run through the living room and my eyes would have never left the TV.

Toward the end of the second round my mind was running wild with scenarios. Maybe San Francisco would take me. I would love to play for the Broncos. I was even ready to settle for Detroit. As a matter of fact I didn't care where, just now!

My mind drifted back to a trip to visit the Cowboys. Everything was great until I made my way into Bill Parcell's office. After sitting down, the first words out of his mouth were, "I'll be honest, the reason you're here is because we like you as a special teams player. I don't think you'll ever be a starter in the league. We're thinking about taking you around the sixth round." I'm a pretty confident guy, so I walked out of the office with my head high. I did a great job and blocked out the trip, but by the middle of round three I was dying.

Two months earlier I got my first cell phone. Yeah, 2004 and Chris Cooley finally has a cell phone. The problem wasn't that I had a phone, the problem was the service. I couldn't keep more than one bar in the corner of the phone, and I was starting to believe that I must have been missing calls. I had spent the last four hours glued to the screen, but had to drag myself outside to at least see if I got a message from someone. By the time my foot hovered over the bottom stair of the front porch the house erupted. The cheering couldn't be mistaken, but I had still never received a phone call.

ept_sports_nfl_experts-751970112-1208953283.jpg
Eighty-first pick to the Washington ******** and I could have never felt more relieved. I remember thinking why hasn't the team called me? It was a perfect thought as my little brother turned to me and said, "Oh yeah, some guy is on hold for ya, he's only been on hold for a couple minutes." I took the phone and Joe Gibbs says, "I hope you want to be a *******, we had to trade up for you." Joe Gibbs! A Hall of Fame coach wanted to trade up for me.

One of the most important factors in the NFL draft might be how a player matches a team. Becoming a ******* couldn't have been a better fit for me. I have been given every opportunity to succeed and have always worked to make the best of them. With all the things I have accomplished in my short career, draft day will always be one of my best memories.

Chris Cooley is a Pro Bowl tight end for the ******** and blogs every Wednesday here on Shutdown Corner. Read more from Cooley on his personal blog, where he gets awesome all the time.

pimp.gif

roll.gif
@ Parcells

Wow...thats a cool story, seriously though...if thats not that motivation ("I dont think you'll ever be a starter in this league) I dont know what is.

The Allen trade just makes me want J Taylor moved more and more. We need to be the ones with extra draft picks fallin outta our pockets, look at how strong adraft the Chiefs could potentially have. They could even mess up a couple picks and still have a great draft. I know we can't a deal like they did forTaylor, but we could get an extra pick or two.
smh.gif

Am I missing something?

Vernon Gholston (born June 5, 1986 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American football player who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams of the NFL. He was originally drafted out of Ohio State University in 2008. He was a "leo" for the Buckeyes, slang for pass rusher. He has drawn NFL comparisons to New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Gholston was the 2007 Big Ten Conference Defensive lineman of the year.[sup][1][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston
[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston#cite_note-0[/sup]

Originally Posted by RawSheed

Am I missing something?

Vernon Gholston (born June 5, 1986 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American football player who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams of the NFL. He was originally drafted out of Ohio State University in 2008. He was a "leo" for the Buckeyes, slang for pass rusher. He has drawn NFL comparisons to New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Gholston was the 2007 Big Ten Conference Defensive lineman of the year.[sup][1][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston
[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston#cite_note-0[/sup]

Yea your missing the fact that Wikipedia doesnt know what the hell it is talking about half the time.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

roll.gif

sick.gif

Ya exactly, the Allen trade is no good
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif

I prefer to think happier thoughts. (word to Peter Pan)
happy.gif

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom