PROOF That Flywire Is Really Just Thread...Even On The Running Shoes

I just picked up a pair of Air Max + 2009's and when I got home I noticed a red colored thread aroundthe top of the toebox area. I did some further investigation I noticed it was the same texture and color of the fly-WIRE on the upper of the shoe. It is justthread. It isn't any thicker or stiffer than regular ole thread you sew with. I took a picture for you to see. Sorry for the big pic, I just want to showthe detail. I'm not going to call it a gimmick per se, but it is definitely marketing hype.
20jobo5.jpg

We know it's only thread, but the question is: "How strong is it?"
Flywire "entails the use of high-tensile Vectran threads (stronger than Kevlar) which cut down on weight of the product while adding stability."

Take your investigation further and pull at it -- see if it tears away ...
Don't forget to put it under some stress tests for us too ...
Feel free to return/exchange your shoes once you're done -- hope you kept the receipt!
grin.gif

I know about tensile fibers, heck even bullet resistant Kevlar (can't truly be called bullet proofbecause some high powered projectiles still defeat it) is just tightly woven individual fibers. But Kevlar has many many densely woven fibers to createit's strength. Flywire is but a few filaments. That's why I say it's not a gimmick per se, but Flywire's benefit is grosslyinflated.

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

We know it's only thread, but the question is: "How strong is it?"
Flywire "entails the use of high-tensile Vectran threads (stronger than Kevlar) which cut down on weight of the product while adding stability."

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Take your investigation further and pull at it -- see if it tears away ...[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Don't forget to put it under some stress tests for us too ...[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feel free to return/exchange your shoes once you're done -- hope you kept the receipt![/color]
grin.gif
do work...then return/exchange em em.

^ I wouldns say its a gimmick persay...it does have some good properties. Look at the hyperdunk - as light as it is, it provides excellent lateral support. Isthat solely due to the flywire? Doubt it. Its the overall package - support shell, highly sculpted midsole..

Sorry you had a loose thread! Even a Ferrari sometimes has a loose stitch. (Trust - no comparison to Ferrari and the Swoosh)

Can u pull it out and some experiments on it?

Elder.. dont worry my man.. you dont have to say Flywire is a gimmick...

I will.

Anyone EVER seen LARGE spools of String in a textile factory?

It is some of the most dense thread woven....and several World Strongest men couldn't pull it apart...

I'd trust THAT thread over this supposed Flywire supporting my shoes on sharp turns...

Originally Posted by RockDeep

I will.

It is some of the most dense thread woven....and several World Strongest men couldn't pull it apart...

I'd trust THAT thread over this supposed Flywire supporting my shoes on sharp turns...

could you elaborate?

but anyways everyone knew flywire was thread in the first place; it's not like flywire doesn't have it's benefits - but Nike has to market...right?

^^ I thought I did... lol

Flywire Functional = Poo Poo
GKC.jpg

Flywire Aesthetics = Greeeeaaaat!!!!
tony-the-tiger-frosties.jpg

Damn... I guess Nike fooled hundreds maybe even thousands of ppl... Including myself... So now my question is.... Is the price justifiable..

Originally Posted by never wear them

Damn... I guess Nike fooled hundreds maybe even thousands of ppl... Including myself... So now my question is.... Is the price justifiable..

obamahellno.jpg

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

flywire IS thread....made of a tinsels.

it is thread and i have 3 different shoes with flywire and it is stiffer and stronger so i dont know what you are talking about

Originally Posted by RockDeep

I will.

No doubt Rock, I took them back. I paid $170 including tax and BOTH pair had strings loose onthem. So much for quality.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

No doubt Rock, I took them back. I paid $170 including tax and BOTH pair had strings loose on them. So much for quality.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. As for me, I think I'm gonna' pick up these Nike "Air Threads" on the next 50.
grin.gif

Or not ... might wait for the blue cw. Daddy needs a new car.

I could care less bout the flywire.....2-3 pairs in my immediate future just gimme my 360 air an I'm good. Any 360 cost a grip anyway Nike just threwflywire out there to get that extra 5-15 bucks. It's a no issue for me. I'm a sucker for 360's

^^^Oh no doubt, Flywire or not I like the shoes. I knew going in that they had Flywire, but I love the AirMAx series. Only reason I took them back is because the particular pair I had had quality issues on both pair. They didn't have any other 12's. Maybethat's a good thing, I can find something else to do with that money for the time being?

^good to see you make an appearance Jason, can you elaborate any on the future of flywire? Will it still be a prominent feature for years to come?

Jason... Im an admitted hater.. lol...

But thats because I do know better.

But I love it on the VIIs....

Hell if I didn't like EA Hyperdunks so much.. I wouldn't have this many:

And then some....

But since I keep it 100.... I know the strands just don't do what its touted...as far as strength goes....But always just MY opinion bruh...

Back
Top Bottom