PS3|VITA Thread: Vita $249 | PS3 BF3 Tonight PG727 | Black Ops 3rd Map Pack PG726 | Dust514 PG723

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Speaking of XIII...

The game in launching in Japan in just a few days. Here's what you are going to learn:

1. The game is 50 hours plus for the main story. This includes story and cutscenes.

2. Notice I didn't mention anything about sidequests or exploring? Yeah... about that... There are no sidequests and really only two areas to explore/go back to in the game. Everywhere you go, save for the open area with the uber giant enemy and one other place you cannot go back to. It blows because there really are a lot of beautiful areas but you only get to see them once and can never see them again. The one saving grace out of all of this is that there are hunts. However, its not unlocked until late in the game.

3. Mini games? None. No card game, no sphere break, no item collecting.

4. Ultimate weapons? They're in the game but you're not going to be searching for them or doing tasks to build/find/obtain them. They're basically upgrades to your current weapon.

5. What about the story? While I will not spoil anything about the story I can tell you that if you have played FFVII and FFX then you have already played this game.

6. Online mode? None. DLC will most likely be coming. It will not be a story addition.

7. Graphics? The best ever put into a game. It kills Uncharted 2 in terms of movement, animations, and look of each character and their clothes.

8. 360 or PS3? PS3 hands down. The 360 version is compressed to all hell and takes a large hit in the GFX and sound department. The PS3 is uncompressed and will upconvert to 1080P.

9. Voice acting? Passable but no where near as good as FF XII.

10. Difficulty? The first 20-25 hours is a bunch of hand holding. You can basically press x and win because the paradigm shift system isn't unlocked to you until about 22 hours into the game. Once it's unlocked prepare to get dominated while you learn the system. The difficulty goes from hand holding to insane very quickly.

**Moogles** None, but there is a graphic of one in the game somewhere.

The game is a good game. It's not amazing other than the graphics and presentation. Don't get me wrong, it is still visually striking and worth a run through but it does not live up to its predecessors. The problem people are going to have is that not many non RPG players have the time/will to sit through a game for 20 hours until you actually get to do something within the gameplay mechanic. Not to mention there are no choices, the game is a totally linear narrative. Other than that the game plays like a Michael Bay flick. Square's original attitude was to take Advent Children the movie and keep up that kind of pace for a 50 hour game. While they accomplished that, and many boss fights, areas, and scenarios, are visually striking and engaging it seems like the core mechanic of fun, exploration, item collecting, mini-games, and downtime has been left out. It will be interesting to see how this game is reviewed in America as I believe the Famitsu review was just aboard the hype train when it scored 39/40. The thing I feel everyone will be asking themselves is "where's the content" because there's a disparity there. The studio worked on this for 6+ years and you can see where it went into (the Crystal tools engine) but in other aspects of the game you just feel a bit empty. Square will be whoring the Crytstal tools engine out for $$$ so I understand why the engine needed to be so solid. In XIII's case it's just sad that other aspects took a hit to achieve it.

Final opinion: 8.8/10

First off, MUCH appareciated for the info/opinions.

Now.... what was said....
frown.gif

Why? Why did they change the formula? I can respect if they wanted to try something new... it just sounds to me like they gutted it. No sidequests?
indifferent.gif
Naw, double that.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Now I am thinking to myself.... was this done to accomodate the 360 (less content, less discs)? Final Fantasy has alway been (arguabley) the pinnacle ofRPG's.... how are you not going to bring the best possible product to the consumer?

I am definitely going to hold my opinion until I try this game, but after what Hybrid said, it's lost alot of the luster....

this might be a dumb question to some of you but i finally got tired of my xbox after my 3rd time getting the rrod and just copped a ps3

ive noticed that my blackberry takes the same plug as the ps3 controller,can i charge it with my phone charger?

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Speaking of XIII...

The game in launching in Japan in just a few days. Here's what you are going to learn:

1. The game is 50 hours plus for the main story. This includes story and cutscenes.

2. Notice I didn't mention anything about sidequests or exploring? Yeah... about that... There are no sidequests and really only two areas to explore/go back to in the game. Everywhere you go, save for the open area with the uber giant enemy and one other place you cannot go back to. It blows because there really are a lot of beautiful areas but you only get to see them once and can never see them again. The one saving grace out of all of this is that there are hunts. However, its not unlocked until late in the game.

4. Ultimate weapons? They're in the game but you're not going to be searching for them or doing tasks to build/find/obtain them. They're basically upgrades to your current weapon.

5. What about the story? While I will not spoil anything about the story I can tell you that if you have played FFVII and FFX then you have already played this game.

6. Online mode? None. DLC will most likely be coming. It will not be a story addition.

7. Graphics? The best ever put into a game. It kills Uncharted 2 in terms of movement, animations, and look of each character and their clothes.

8. 360 or PS3? PS3 hands down. The 360 version is compressed to all hell and takes a large hit in the GFX and sound department. The PS3 is uncompressed and will upconvert to 1080P.

10. Difficulty? The first 20-25 hours is a bunch of hand holding. You can basically press x and win because the paradigm shift system isn't unlocked to you until about 22 hours into the game. Once it's unlocked prepare to get dominated while you learn the system. The difficulty goes from hand holding to insane very quickly.

The game is a good game. It's not amazing other than the graphics and presentation. Don't get me wrong, it is still visually striking and worth a run through but it does not live up to its predecessors. The problem people are going to have is that not many non RPG players have the time/will to sit through a game for 20 hours until you actually get to do something within the gameplay mechanic. Not to mention there are no choices, the game is a totally linear narrative. Other than that the game plays like a Michael Bay flick. Square's original attitude was to take Advent Children the movie and keep up that kind of pace for a 50 hour game. While they accomplished that, and many boss fights, areas, and scenarios, are visually striking and engaging it seems like the core mechanic of fun, exploration, item collecting, mini-games, and downtime has been left out. It will be interesting to see how this game is reviewed in America as I believe the Famitsu review was just aboard the hype train when it scored 39/40. The thing I feel everyone will be asking themselves is "where's the content" because there's a disparity there. The studio worked on this for 6+ years and you can see where it went into (the Crystal tools engine) but in other aspects of the game you just feel a bit empty. Square will be whoring the Crytstal tools engine out for $$$ so I understand why the engine needed to be so solid. In XIII's case it's just sad that other aspects took a hit to achieve it.

frown.gif

Why? Why did they change the formula? I can respect if they wanted to try something new... it just sounds to me like they gutted it. No sidequests?
indifferent.gif
Naw, double that.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Now I am thinking to myself.... was this done to accomodate the 360 (less content, less discs)? Final Fantasy has alway been (arguabley) the pinnacle of RPG's.... how are you not going to bring the best possible product to the consumer?

I am definitely going to hold my opinion until I try this game, but after what Hybrid said, it's lost alot of the luster....

i dont really think it was at all done to accomodate the 360, from reading his description, it sort of goes along with sony's notion (or former notion) ofproviding these blockbuster roller coaster type movie experiences like killzone uncharted GoW etc, and the part he talks about advent children reminds me of aquote i read about how they wanted to make XIII on par with advent children in terms of visual effects

when they moved the game from ps2 to the next generation, i think the game actually was designed specifically for the PS3, and something makes me think thatthey actually stood by that design regardless of announcing it for 360

Originally Posted by FedExciter

this might be a dumb question to some of you but i finally got tired of my xbox after my 3rd time getting the rrod and just copped a ps3

ive noticed that my blackberry takes the same plug as the ps3 controller,can i charge it with my phone charger?

i tried, nothing happens

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

frown.gif

indifferent.gif
Naw, double that.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Now I am thinking to myself.... was this done to accomodate the 360 (less content, less discs)? Final Fantasy has alway been (arguabley) the pinnacle of RPG's.... how are you not going to bring the best possible product to the consumer?

i dont really think it was at all done to accomodate the 360, from reading his description, it sort of goes along with sony's notion (or former notion) of providing these blockbuster roller coaster type movie experiences like killzone uncharted GoW etc, and the part he talks about advent children reminds me of a quote i read about how they wanted to make XIII on par with advent children in terms of visual effects

when they moved the game from ps2 to the next generation, i think the game actually was designed specifically for the PS3, and something makes me think that they actually stood by that design regardless of announcing it for 360

There were changes made to the game to accommodate the 360's number of discs. There was a number they didn't want to exceed which is whyeven in its current 3 disc form the textures, cut-scenes, and fvm's are compressed heavily. The lack of content however can be hung on the designers andscenario writers. There is someone who worked with Square for a very long time who wrote the scenerio or things like VII, XI, X who did not contribute to theactive design process this time around because he left the company. I am not talking about Sakaguchi, and I'm not going to throw his name out there but ifyou care to look close you can figure out who it is. His departure from the company has affected how their design process was for XIII.

TheHealthInspector hit the nail on the head when he said Square is moving towards a "blockbuster movie-type" experience. They want to keep theJapanese flare and incorporate what western gamers want. You can see the fruits of this when Square was the one who ponied up the cash to Activision to publishModern Warfare 2 in Japan. They're making a steady design shift to accommodate the western world. However, that doesn't mean they have mastered whatthe western gamer wants. This is just another step in that direction. The first being Kingdom Hearts and their partnership with Disney.

Just got 2 $20 psn cards, what games should i cop?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I wanna get fat princess for sure, but idk what else to get

Speaking of XIII...

man this game sound stupid then.

FF 8, 9, and 10 were the bomb. FF 8 was awesome cus they have GF.

and why aren't there any black people in final fantasy. this game is racist

That video is proof that IW needs to be held accountable for one of many bugs present in the game.
smh.gif

i didnt really see any great deal on amazon except for maybe 2 games batman arkham asylum 35 and assasins creed 2 for 40

Amazon's gold box deal today is Assassins Creed II for $39.78 .

Not sure how long it will last.

So tempted to cop right now. But I got to hold off. Still busy playing God Of War HD collection and I still haven't even opened up Ratchet & Clank: ACrack In Time which I also copped on another deal on amazon a month back where I also have $20 bucks of PSN credit to use.

[table][tr][td]Full GT Academy Details Announced[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Posted on December 14, 2009[/td] [td]by Shak[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
After the success of GT Academy 2009, Nissan and PlayStation decided to team upagain for GT Academy 2010, in the hopes of finding real racing talent from Gran Turismo fans. The competition falls into five main stages:

Stage One - will offer Gran Turismo fans a sneak preview of the hotly-anticipatedGran Turismo 5 game, due for release during 2010. Competitors will record flying laps on a time trial-based track available via PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]Network, accessedthrough PS3. Unlike the first GT Academy, participants will not have to enter the competition using the GT5 PrologueTM game itself, and so even more hopefulracing drivers are expected to take part.

Stage Two - the holders of the twenty fastest online lap times from eachparticipating country will qualify for their national final event. Tensions will run high as they battle each other on another exclusive Gran Turismo 5 levelfor the chance to move to the next phase of the competition.

Stage Three - twenty finalists, chosen from each of the national finals events, willhead to the world famous Silverstone circuit for the GT Academy itself - a five-day, comprehensive race driver 'boot camp'. They will have a chance todevelop new driving skills in an array of Nissan, and other, hardware, while also being judged on fitness and mental attitude.

Stage Four - For the two competitors that display the talent, fitness, aptitude,drive and determination to succeed in motor sport, the action will hot-up even further. A UK-based intensive driving and racing programme will prepare them toqualify for an international racing license.

Stage Five - There is only one place available for the driver with the mostpotential to compete on an international stage. The overall GT Academy 2010 champion will race a full season in the European GT4 Cup in a Nissan 370Z preparedby RJN Motorsport. The opening race is currently scheduled for May, 2010.

Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Polyphony Digital and creator of the Gran Turismoseries said, "This has been a very rewarding partnership. The whole GT Academy concept is very close to my heart. Our target with the Gran Turismo serieshas always been to come as close as possible to a real driving experience. To witness the level of driving achieved by GT players after a relatively shortspace of time at the GT Academy was very satisfying for me and I look forward to seeing the 2010 finalists in action. I am also very happy to have theopportunity for our GT community to have a preview of the Gran Turismo 5 game."

The online section of the game will run from 17 December until 24 January withnational finals following soon afterwards. The GT Academy itself takes place from 26 February until 3 March. The two winners will have to quickly clear theirdiaries, as their intensive training programme will start immediately and culminate in one driver racing in the opening European GT4 Cup race that could be atSilverstone on 2 May. The competition is open to people from: Austria; Belgium; France; Germany; Ireland; Italy; Netherlands; Portugal; Spain; Switzerland; UK;and Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. Also joining in will be Australia and New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Notorious 858

Amazon's gold box deal today is Assassins Creed II for $39.78 .

Not sure how long it will last.

So tempted to cop right now. But I got to hold off. Still busy playing God Of War HD collection and I still haven't even opened up Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time which I also copped on another deal on amazon a month back where I also have $20 bucks of PSN credit to use.
Thanks for the heads up.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]Order Summary[/td] [td]
spc-tr-inside-drksnd._V47083196_.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Items:[/td] [td]$39.78[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Shipping & Handling:[/td] [td]$4.49[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Super Saver Discount:[/td] [td]-$4.49[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Promotion Applied:[/td] [td]-$20.00[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Promotion Applied:[/td] [td]-$0.00[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Reward Applied:[/td] [td]-$0.00[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]
pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Total Before Tax:[/td] [td]$19.78[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Estimated Tax:[/td] [td]$0.00[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Order Total: $19.78[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]You got free shipping![/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by simpliSD

Just got 2 $20 psn cards, what games should i cop?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I wanna get fat princess for sure, but idk what else to get
id say pass on fat princess...i have it, it was great and fun but its a hassle actually getting into a game...and now hardly anyone plays so itslike 10 people and the rest are bots

Originally Posted by Lazy B

That video is proof that IW needs to be held accountable for one of many bugs present in the game.
smh.gif

reminds me of why i stopped playing in the first place
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom