QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

dmxfury dmxfury

this ain't gonna be popular :lol:

and i'll preface by saying i really can't evaluate the Staubach's and Unitas' and Bradshaw's...i literally never saw a snap from any of those guys so i'm not even going to try

5) Manning
4) Favre
3) Montana
2) Marino
1) TB12

i had Elway ahead of Manning before the last two seasons. but regardless of his play this past year and the Denver defense, gotta give him credit for winning that last chip at this age.

If Dan Marino played in this era and put up 5500 yards a year and 40 touchdowns a year and shattered every passing record, he would still not be considered Top 5 without a Super Bowl.

I'm not even saying I agree but it's simply what we do now as a culture.

A player can be an obvious great and do what they can to tear them down.

i mean if you're ranking guys, you have to "tear one down" to put another one up. everyone's going to see it different, but honestly, not being top 5 or top 3 isn't tearing someone down. there's been a bunch of GREAT ******* QBs. people are going to rank them different, but there's no doubt how talented and great they all were.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus among a knowledgeable football fan is that Dan Marino is a top 5-8 quarterback all time

If his career played out the exact same way but started in 2000 I don think that would be the case even if his numbers were better amongst peers amongst this same era.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus among a knowledgeable football fan is that Dan Marino is a top 5-8 quarterback all time

If his career played out the exact same way but started in 2000 I don think that would be the case

i think if there's that big an emphasis on rings (which I know you mentioned two posts ago), then sure. that's probably true.

It really might not be. So he wasn't blessed with the defenses that Ben, Wilson and Peyton got. Or the all around teams that Tom and Joe had. Can we hold that against him?

I can see people putting him 1 and have a hard time seeing him worse than 5

Last edited:
i mean if you're ranking guys, you have to "tear one down" to put another one up. everyone's going to see it different, but honestly, not being top 5 or top 3 isn't tearing someone down. there's been a bunch of GREAT ******* QBs. people are going to rank them different, but there's no doubt how talented and great they all were.

Well put.

I can't rank Marino that high

One Super Bowl appearance with a team that was went to the Super Bowl with Woodley as their starter a season before.

One of the greatest coaches of all time coaching him and adapting his system to fit Marinos talents.

The biggest dip in playoff passer rating of the all the time great quarterbacks and the only "all time" great with a losing record in the playoffs.

Marino feasted on Shula innovation combined using his talents when the rest of the NFL was on the 21/ 3 yds philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom