QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

stats need context. always.

stats are cool and fun. they need context. when do the brain farts occur in the game? when your team is up two scores or when your team is down and chasing the game? in the red zone? in the opponents half? all of that matters. look, i'm not gonna say Tom outplayed AR yesterday. no one is gonna buy that. but i think it's more complex than "AR flat outplayed Brady and lost". team contributions aside. just focusing on the QBs...there's more there

I've been thinking about the Rodgers vs 3 INT's for a while. Luckily, Scott is way smarter than me, and way better at tracking this stuff. (I want these guys jobs :frown: )

1612212052088.png

I remember saying something about this last week, that those turnovers were all the way on the other side of the field. The Aaron Jones fumble was returned inside their own 15 or 20 yard line.

1612212120056.png

He does note, they did kick 9 FG's during these drives.

So to answer DSA's question, and to further show what my point was at the start, we are questioning why Rodgers can't "do something" with Brady's INT's, like drive 80 yards for a TD, but we don't expect that out of Brady, because as the stat shows, he hasn't been able to do that for some time now.

Does that not follow, some QB's are expected, and needed to do more than others? :nerd:

On a separate note, Scott has been saying for a while now, maybe Mahomes will be the one that unites both the Rings, AND the eye/stats test to GOAT arguments and what not. Well.....

1612212332710.png

Damn near 50% and one of the drives shouldn't count because of an injury, and the other a fumble by his WR. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I also saw something that said the Chiefs have won 24 of his last 25 starts, or something like that? That's just plain silly. :sick:

I first read this as yards and was freaking out. There's no way... :lol:

Interesting info. Wish stuff like this was readily available. Gotta have lots of time to compile this, but it's good stuff.

I've read his stuff, he has movies, music, and sports spreadsheets like you wouldn't believe.

Not sure how, but he was tweeting about DPI calls and how many each team has, and which ref crews call the most.

Relevance? It was TB, with 13. (Offensively-Brady) and the SB crew is.......#1 calling DPI. :nerd:

Not sure how, but he was tweeting about DPI calls and how many each team has, and which ref crews call the most.

I briefly thought about doing this for a gambling perspective and how each ref crew officiated. If not by film, doing play-by-play logs from espn seemed handy, but way too time consuming unless you can convert all that into a spreadsheet via coding or something that idk how to do. :lol:

:wow: @ those numbers

are the actual starting field position numbers available? would love to see them

:wow: @ those numbers

are the actual starting field position numbers available? would love to see them

I could ask him, he's replied to me before, but not like we're friends or anything. :lol:

My guess is he access to some site we aren't aware of and pulls it all from there. I can't imagine the amount of data entry he'd have to do to do this manually. Or maybe it is a site anyone can use and no one realizes it.

I remember hearing about that site when DVOA started to get more popular

Never paid for any of it's content doe

Some fun nuggets before this game creates a whole bunch more QB narratives.......

Patrick Mahomes has played in 7 playoff games. In the worst game of his playoff career, he was given the Super Bowl MVP.

1612557866439.png

Tom Brady:

262 yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT 71.4 rating WINS Super Bowl.

Also Tom Brady:

505 Yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT, 115.4 rating, LOSES Super Bowl.

DOMINANT performance by Tampa defense. Vs PRIME Mahomes and this offense. Zero TD's.

Brady gonna get ALL the credit. :lol:

7 puts him pretty much out of range for any other QB to catch, and, Tampa very well could be better next year. Full off-season camp, 2nd place schedule, no Brees in division, NFC West will be a bloodbath, TB could be a 1-2 seed and have home games instead of road games.

But........no repeats since 03-04 so they will be fighting history.

#7 :pimp:

at 43 going through Brees (dead arm Brees), peak AR, and Mahomes is pretty insane. i know QBs don't play each other...but for the story of the game it's an insane playoff run

mahomes reminded me of russ back in the day in that it was take the snap and start running back or sideways immediately for most of the game. can't help but feel for him

Two weeks from now we have one QB just adding cherries on top to a cemented legacy vs. One who we seriously need to examine where he places on the pantheon of QB Elites now (and not where he may end up at the end of his career)

Adds 7th cherry*

Pretty dominant performance for the team overall but Tom didn't really budge this game outside of the INT that should have been (was more on Fournette anyways). He played his part, can't ask for more than that and I have no reason to think he has any serious decline next year. Back at it again

Man, rough game for Pat. I can't even evaluate what I saw to say what he could have done better, whole team was a mess. Young prodigy he still is.

We had some incredible and fun QB play this year from the young'ns (Herbo and Burrow before he went down) to the ascension of others who are reaching a ceiling ppl said they had (Allen and Baker). AR's MVP year, Deshaun just putting up Madden numbers, a few others

and now we head into a new season with all these guys ready to go for another round + some with a change of scenery (Stafford, Goff, Wentz?)

and one of the better overall QB classes coming in

Always a pleasure in this thread gents for the dialogue and banter about one of thee most iconic positions in all of sports

ezgif-6-8ce845c87667.gif

Congrats to Brady. while the winningest and arguably the best QB to date, I still don't see him past Joe Cool due to my favoritism and controversies regarding spygate and deflategate. if not for those latter controversies, I would have been able to put Joe on #2 with some reservations.

Back
Top Bottom