Question about breaking a lease

I moved into an apartment complex about 3 wks ago, car got broken into. Stole all my things. What/How do I go about leaving the apartment complex w/o any penalties? Police report filed. What to do next?

If you signed a lease, pretty much nothing else you can do. If you're allowed, you could try and find someone else who would take over the lease or sublease it from you.

damn
30t6p3b.gif

I'm 100% sure your are allowed to break it with a notarized letter with at least a 30 day grace period...OP you in NYC?

It depends on where you are. I've worked at a property management company in MD and the rules for breaking a lease here are pretty strict. But there are some sneaky ways that you can get let out of your lease. For example if you signed the lease with a roomate or cosigner, than if that person moves out or asks to be taken off the lease, you would have to qualify on your own.

Originally Posted by MarlonCumLaude

Originally Posted by Mdotte

did you speak to the realtor?
so i presume the realtor isnt having it? uhhh but realistically, you did sign the least,so the realtor isnt obligated to let you out...im going thru the same thing now,but i had a cool realtor. One thing you can do is try to find someone to take over the lease.

Find someone who will sublet. Friends of mine learned the hard way in college that landlords/realtors won't let you break a lease regardless of the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom