Quick question for my Hispanics vol. oye, i didnt know

Not all, I dont want to generalize, but some Hispanic ethnicities aren't fond of their neighbors. I had one friend who was from San Salvador, ElSalvador and she says in her country alot of kids are brought up with an Anti Mexican mentality and how they get pissed when they are mistaken for a Mexican

Me myself Im of Peruvian descent. I dont want to say Every single person, but alot of peruvians and chileans don't get along and are like rivals. When Iwas in Peru and the Chilean national team came to play soccer, man the whole nation was against them. If you confused a Peruvian for a Chilean (or vise versa)they would probably be like "Tell me you didnt just say that!
grin.gif
"

Originally Posted by Diego

I really dont care about being confused for anything, I guess Ive gotten used to it after being confused so many times.
I will give you guys an example of how closed minded the two of most dominant hispanic nationalities can be (DR/PR in the uptown area).

Baad DR or PR shorty: You Dominican?
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: You Puerto Rican!!!!!
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: OK so you Mexican!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Nope.
Baad DR or PR shorty: So then what the hell are you?????????

The whole point is that in the mind of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, when it comes to hispanic nationalities they seem to have no clue that there is anything other than Rican, Dominican, or Mexican. Like are you people serious? Are you that ignorant that you can only guess 3 spanish speaking countries? (ALWAYS THE SAME 3. GUARANTEED)

I dont care if you call me Argentinian, Brazilian, Colombian, Salvadorian, Panamanian, etc... I just want to meet one person from uptown whos knowledge of latin america doesnt start with DR and end with PR.

/Rant

One of those countries doesnt belong

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

I don't get offended seeing as how my nationality is pretty much impossible to tell just by looking at me. I don't know why other Hispanics would get offended though, I guess they don't like being stereotyped?

I dunno if you guys would consider this the same thing...but I'm Czech and I always get "are you (insert eastern european country here)?" and Ireally don't care. I'm proud of my heritage and all but even people within a nationality can look totally different so who cares?

I mean, I agree that people shouldn't assume, but if they accidentally ask whether you're a certain nationality, it's really not that serious.Especially if the person asking is not of your race. I hardly expect non-whites to be able to tell the difference between different white nationalitiesbecause if you aren't part of that group it's more difficult to differentiate. It even took practice for me to be able to identify nationalities.

And keep in mind that it's all about life experience. I moved to Vancouver three years ago and before I couldn't have distinguished between Asians ifmy life depended on it but now I'm good at it bc most of my friends are Asian. You guys need to keep in mind that not everyone is lucky enough to have thetype of life where they're able to experience every race in enough depth to have the ability to make minute distinctions between features.

If someone assumes wrong, why not just be like "no, actually, people of that nationality are actually darker/have this facial structure/speak thislanguage" and educate them instead of getting so rattled? Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

People used to call me Mexican in HS.. I hated that $@#@..

I remember some Puerto Rican dude in a documentary I saw said that being called Mexican is like a slur.. It is..

Everybody is saying that PRs rep hard....You guys must be in the East.. Cus I could say the same about Mexicans.

Originally Posted by luis og13s

Not all, I dont want to generalize, but some Hispanic ethnicities aren't fond of their neighbors. I had one friend who was from San Salvador, El Salvador and she says in her country alot of kids are brought up with an Anti Mexican mentality and how they get pissed when they are mistaken for a Mexican

Me myself Im of Peruvian descent. I dont want to say Every single person, but alot of peruvians and chileans don't get along and are like rivals. When I was in Peru and the Chilean national team came to play soccer, man the whole nation was against them. If you confused a Peruvian for a Chilean (or vise versa) they would probably be like "Tell me you didnt just say that!
grin.gif
"
Its funny you say that.. My boy is Peruvian and he gets pissed when I mess with him and say Pisco is from Chile.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

I remember some Puerto Rican dude in a documentary I saw said that being called Mexican is like a slur.. It is..

Everybody is saying that PRs rep hard....You guys must be in the East.. Cus I could say the same about Mexicans.
Michael Scott?

To believe that being called mexican is a slur.. thats ignorant. Or being called black is a slur. Or being called white is a slur....or....

I think you get my point.

To look down on a nationality so much that its a problem for you to be mistaken as it is rediculous.

Only a weak minded person would get upset over something like that. I'm MExican, but I don't care what they think I am.

I think it's dumb to get offended by someone mistaking you for another nationality. Maybe it's different for hispanics because you guys probably get ita lot, but I don't think I would be that offended if someone mistook me for a different nationality. But I don't really get asked that much so Ican't be sure.

Originally Posted by JefferyJay23

To believe that being called mexican is a slur.. thats ignorant. Or being called black is a slur. Or being called white is a slur....or....

To look down on a nationality so much that its a problem for you to be mistaken as it is rediculous.
This.

Some people say my mom's Jamaican even though she's from St. Thomas and it doesn't bother her. I called this girl a garden tool, and she tried towring my neck, but I was just calling it how I saw it.

Originally Posted by JefferyJay23

i have to agree...a slur is OD

i'm sure it does get annoying but for the most part most people don't know better...just politely correct them

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

I thought a Pakistani guy was Indian, and he corrected me and we moved on and ate sammiches.

sammiches always bring cultures together...

Originally Posted by luis og13s

Not all, I dont want to generalize, but some Hispanic ethnicities aren't fond of their neighbors. I had one friend who was from San Salvador, El Salvador and she says in her country alot of kids are brought up with an Anti Mexican mentality and how they get pissed when they are mistaken for a Mexican

Me myself Im of Peruvian descent. I dont want to say Every single person, but alot of peruvians and chileans don't get along and are like rivals. When I was in Peru and the Chilean national team came to play soccer, man the whole nation was against them. If you confused a Peruvian for a Chilean (or vise versa) they would probably be like "Tell me you didnt just say that!
grin.gif
"
Its funny you say that.. My boy is Peruvian and he gets pissed when I mess with him and say Pisco is from Chile.
laugh.gif

Yeah, in Peru we call Chilean people rotos (Broken ones for those who dont speak spanish) not sure what they call us. Many rivalries like that so thatcontributes to it, I had one Guatemalan friend who hated being confused for Mexican.

oh and Pisco is Peruvian
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Some people don't even know where guatemala is?

They say is that in Mexico!
Smhh

My wifey is El Salvadorian x Italian and she hates when people mistake her for Mexican. I even joke around and call her Mexican and she gets pissed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Michael Scott?

laugh.gif

"Well it has certain connotations..."

Why arent Ecuadorian or Bolivian EVER mentioned when trying to guess what kind of hispanic someone is?

Im half of each, and we are always forgotten
ohwell.gif

I'm Argentinian and I always get either white or Cuban because I live in Miami, it doesn't bother me I just correct them and move on with my life. Whyare some of you so sensitive? I swear after hearing some of you talk in this thread I would confuse your gender before confusing your nationality.

There are a lot of things I would like to say on this topic, but there is a time that comments should be kept to one's self. Nuff' said.

Originally Posted by Club29

Why arent Ecuadorian or Bolivian EVER mentioned when trying to guess what kind of hispanic someone is?

Im half of each, and we are always forgotten
ohwell.gif
Bolivians seem so obscure. My friend is too.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom