R.I.P Kobe Bryant.

Just watched it, it was great..Beyoncé actually sounded great... thought Phil would have spoke. I hope this situation brings MJ out more man, we are suppose to appreciate these greats while they’re still here, but it’s hard when you hear everyone talk about how he’s an *** when you meet him and he’s always staying quite.

At first I thought Phil was going to speak, but honestly, it made sense that he didn't. Their relationship was such a roller coaster, and Phil isn't the type of guy to necessarily show a lot of emotion. I don't think he'd be able to put his feelings into words. Sure, he's written a few books, but this is... Different.

I think Vanessa was all cried out which made it a tiny bit easier to give the speech. If this was a week after their death she wouldn't be able to speak a few words without breaking down. But when someone you love that deeply passes tragically, you don't do anything but cry for weeks. So she had no tears left to shed.

MJ biggin' up lil' bro was everything. That eulogy absolutely made my day, probably will make my week and so on.

MJ is rather private, reserved and you often don't see that transparency from him. For him to put all that aside and give it up one time for lil' bro had me frozen in time.

When MJ speaks... You listen! People been waiting to hear from Mike in detail since this event. So glad he gave Kobe his due!

Last edited:
Haven't typed up anything about Kobe. I actually read about 90% of what everyone said in both threads. Felt like the time to do it. Seeing the legends like Shaq, Mike speak about him really got to me... I still haven't watched Vanessa speak and I'm not ready for that yet. Seeing Mike break down really got to me. I read through the threads I wanted to say my piece about it but I just never had the right words. This affected me, like so many of you I'm sure, far more than I ever thought it could. Some combination of the randomness of it, the tragedy that he was with his daughter, or that we won't get to see Kobe grow old as a legend of the game he dedicated his life to. NBA legends don't die young... especially with a tragic ending like this. I think with Kobe, it just all feels surreal. Hours and days after his death, seeing Jerry West, Shaq, Kimmel, hearing Michael Jordan, LeBron, Magic, all giving their condolences to KOBE BRYANT just didn't seem real. Seeing it on the bottomline on ESPN or NBA TV... people who I've never spoken one word about basketball to at work all talking about it.. I just couldn't think much about it. When I heard the news at work I had to sit off by myself and checked my phone, just not believing it.

I was never an enormous Kobe fan. I always liked another superstar more than him throughout his prime, whether it was T-Mac, LeBron, Russ, Dwight, he was never that guy for me. I never denied his talent, wasn't a Kobe hater by any means, I loved him on the Olympic team, felt for him during his injuries, respected him taking the bag at the end too, and couldn't deny feeling some emotions when he stepped off the court for the last time. I knew what he meant to LA, the Lakers, and to his fans. His dedication and passion couldn't be denied and it was always one of the things I admired. What still gets me is we missed out on what he could have accomplished next. A passionate, driven, and very wealthy man who could affect real change as well as pursuing new areas and avenues. That's hard to get over.

His death really affected me. He's been my phone's lock screen background since his passing and don't see that changing up. I went out and put up some shots the next day, I displayed my Kobe Funko Pop right in my living room next to my TV. And I couldn't stop thinking about it for the days after. I devoured every pod I listen to that had an emergency Kobe podcast.. I still have a few to listen to.. David Aldridge breaking down in his podcast with Big Wos was too much for me to handle. Something Tyler from Mickstape said was grieve however you need to and that's what I've thought about and that's what this rambling is for.

This is easily the biggest celebrity death that's affected me in this way, it hasn't had me thinking about death as much since my dad passed away when I was 15. We're not here forever, you do not know when it's your time to go, and there is never more time. Kobe Bryant did the most with his time, he maximized his talent, he put everything he had into his craft, and he did his absolute best. He is an all-time level competitor, athlete, and he was embarking on the next stage of his career with new ventures and fatherhood. Whatever you want to do, do it. Whatever your passion is, follow it. I've spent so many years sitting on my *** thinking that "tomorrow I'll start", I put off things that I thought I could be successful at, and then life happens and it went from a small passion in college to something I don't even think about anymore. That's the real tragedy, not pursuing the things you care about. Not pushing yourself that one step further. Not making that extra effort. We don't have a lot of time on his Earth and to waste it is tragic. We're not all going to have Kobe's passion and dedication, if we had 10% of that half of the time we'll be in good shape.. but that's what he represented. Pushing yourself as far as you can go, maximizing your talent, do everything you can to put one foot in front of the other.

I'm hopeful that from his death, we can all take that extra effort and focus on our own life. Do everything to the best of your abilities. Try. Work hard. Be kind to others. Push yourself. Don't wait to tell people how you feel. Don't expect to have more time. Nothing is guaranteed. Do not wait to send that text to your parents or siblings. Tell your friends you care about them. No one will ever regret telling people how they feel and the kind things that make a difference in life. Thanks to whoever read this, sorry to anyone that has to scroll.

Leaving this with some of the best quotes of his that I've read.

• "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I'm like, 'My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don't have it. I just want to chill.' We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it."
  • "Once you know what failure feels like, determination chases success."
  • "When we are saying this cannot be accomplished, this cannot be done, then we are short-changing ourselves. My brain, it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I have to sit there and face myself and tell myself, 'You are a failure,' I think that is almost worse than dying."
  • The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.
  • “Have a good time. Life is too short to get bogged down and be discouraged. You have to keep moving. You have to keep going. Put one foot in front of the other, smile and just keep on rolling.”

I dont know whether to pray more or throw my bibles away ... I didn't even mess with Kobe like that, but Gigi ... smh ...

Any child suffering hits different ... I don't even **** with life like that anymore ... We ain't here for **** and don't die for **** ... All just one big rat race tio ****ing nowhere ...

It took Gigi death to make me realize that ...

I’m shocked that MJ spoke today. He is rarely in the spotlight these days. That is what KB8 meant to him.
shouldnt be a shock tbh. mj and kobe were close.

when asked who could beat him, and knowing MJ he would say none but he acknowledged kobe.
I dont know whether to pray more or throw my bibles away ... I didn't even mess with Kobe like that, but Gigi ... smh ...

Any child suffering hits different ... I don't even **** with life like that anymore ... We ain't here for **** and don't die for **** ... All just one big rat race tio ****ing nowhere ...

It took Gigi death to make me realize that ...
if you believe in god- at least the god from the bible, do understand and take comfort that life simply doesn’t end here on earth.

I lost it again watching MJ’s speech. It was beautiful and the tears from the basketball god himself were incredible to see. Such a heartfelt speech.

MJ's speech was heartfelt. Bravo

This youtube comment made me laugh. Lol

Screenshot_20200224-212425(1).png

Bruh what????
kobe even learned to play moonlight sonata??
dude was a different type of animal.
Can’t believe my fave player gone :frown:

So, what did everyone think of Pelinka?

While we know Mr. Pelinka would never let the truth get in the way of a good story, I think he spoke more to the man that Kobe was and his dedication to put 100% of himself in everything he did, even when it came to other helping others.

I dont know much about Pelinka but you are the 2nd person I've seen make note of him not being of the greatest of character. What's the deal there?

I thought everyone's speech was amazing. Top to bottom.

Sabrina Ionescu(wonderful speech) ****ed around and got a triple double, and also became the first college player with 2,000 points, 1,000 boards and 1,000 assist
and yet most people still have no clue who she is....... :smh:

Sabrina Ionescu(wonderful speech) ****ed around and got a triple double, and also became the first college player with 2,000 points, 1,000 boards and 1,000 assist
Pretty wild knowing cheapest tickets were only going for 14 plus fees on Stubhub just last night.

I am waiting for the parents of Kobe Bryant to be interviewed. It is very unfortunate that outside of Snoop’s acknowledgement, they seem to be forgotten by fans of Kobe, and the media.

and yet most people still have no clue who she is....... :smh:

And most casual basketball enthusiasts won't know of her unless they follow women's college basketball or just the women's game in general.

I'd agree thought that if a person is a hardcore basketball junkie they should have an idea of not only how relevant she is to women's hoops, but to the sport in general.

I can legit see her transcending the sport and becoming somewhat of an icon. The girl is just that damn good!

Back
Top Bottom