Randy Moss Retires

greatest receiver of all time ya right 
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
... top 3 maybe top 5 definitely... and as great as he is theres a reason why nobody is picking him up... you trying to tell me plax can get picked up even though hes been out the league for 2 years and is not even close to as good as moss... but then again plax makes a difference when it counts thats why he got that ring 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by you go boy

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
... top 3 maybe top 5 definitely... and as great as he is theres a reason why nobody is picking him up... you trying to tell me plax can get picked up even though hes been out the league for 2 years and is not even close to as good as moss... but then again plax makes a difference when it counts thats why he got that ring 
pimp.gif

superbowl

[table][tr][th=""]
[/th][th=""]rec[/th][th=""]yds[/th][th=""]td[/th][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Plaxico Burress[/td][td]2[/td][td]27[/td][td]1[/td][td]14

[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
[/th][th=""]rec[/th][th=""]yd[/th][th=""][sup]td[/sup][/th][/tr][tr][td]Wes Welker[/td][td]11[/td][td]103[/td][td]0[/td][td]19[/td][/tr][tr][td]Randy Moss[/td][td]5[/td][td]62[/td][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][/tr][/table]

Not too surprising, he did look done from what I saw of him last season, the guy just wasn't getting the separation he was used too. I'm sure he has offers, but he isn't playing for less than what he feels is worth it. I never expected him to play late into his 30s anyway as he wasn't a great/disciplined route runner. That being said, he was one of the greatest and most freakishly talented athletes I've ever seen. I remember watching him during his rookie season and just having trouble believing what I was seeing: the speed, hands, balance, vert
sick.gif

Daunte Culpepper has Randy Moss to thank for his career.

3rd or 4th best wideout of all-time IMO. Countless highlights. But like others have said, he was his own worst enemy.

I think he will be back tho

He went to Marshall...not sure about a degree. Was Pennington the QB with him at Marshall?

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Imagine if he played with guys like Steve Young and Joe Montana his whole career...

A 40 year old Jerry Rice, on the Oakland Raiders, caught 92 balls for 1,211 yards and 7 TDs.

He caught just as many balls from Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Jeff Kemp, Rick Mirer, Steve Stenstrom, and Matt Hasselbeck as he did from Joe Montana.

No 
laugh.gif

Joe Montana for around 5 years.
Steve Young for around 8 years.

More than half of his career was spent playing with two guys universally agreed upon as two of the top 20 quarterbacks EVER!

You would really compare the quality of quarterbacks that Jerry Rice has played with to Daunte Culpeper? 
laugh.gif
 And he still put up numbers with Tiny Hands under center.

And those Oakland teams Jerry played for were actually GOOD! Not like today's Raiders.

Not saying that I even think Moss is over Jerry but let's not act like he hasn't benefitted from playing on some truly GREAT teams with some GREAT quarterbacks. 

His numbers with Tom Brady, not just the first year, are incredible! All I'm saying is, imagine if he had spent that amount of time playing with a GOOD quarterbak.

Originally Posted by 2o6

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

superbowl

[table][tr][th=""]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
[/th][th=""]rec[/th][th=""]yd[/th][th=""][sup]td[/sup][/th][/tr][tr][td]Wes Welker[/td][td]11[/td][td]103[/td][td]0[/td][td]19[/td][/tr][tr][td]Randy Moss[/td][td]5[/td][td]62[/td][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][/tr][/table]
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Dude quit on free agency.
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Cris Carter basically said all that had to be said on BSPN earlier. Said that after Ocho signed and Plax signed (both with teams that Moss wanted to go to), Randy felt slighted. Also said that Randy wasn't willing to play for a team like the Titans again. Son basically took his ball and went home.

Moss was a freak with his athleticism, he could have been better than Rice IMO

Rice was the ultimate savage when it came offseason workouts and playing every play like it could be his last. He simply did all the small things and never took plays off.

Randy was truly a great talent, but he would take plays off. He had some amazing games, and an amazing career, but as great as he was, I truly believe he never reached his full potential because he became complacent and started blaming his teams for their shortcomings instead of just focusing on ways he could make them better.

I'm like 60% sure he will be back though. There were definitely flashes of a great receiver while he was with the Pats last year.

I'm glad he retired as opposed to doing a TO joining a different team each year...forget the "shoulda coulda" arguments, at the end of the day Moss still had a career most WR's would dream about having
pimp.gif

wow. that sucks. if only he kept his trap shut last season
30t6p3b.gif

i have a feeling he'll be back tho

Imagine if he played with guys like Steve Young and Joe Montana his whole career...

A 40 year old Jerry Rice, on the Oakland Raiders, caught 92 balls for 1,211 yards and 7 TDs.

He caught just as many balls from Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Jeff Kemp, Rick Mirer, Steve Stenstrom, and Matt Hasselbeck as he did from Joe Montana.

No 
laugh.gif

Um... yes? He caught 416 passes from Joe Montana and 567 passes from the QBs I listed.

Watching NFL Network. They actually had a question pop-up on the screen : 'Is Randy Moss a 1st ballot hall of famer ?'

Are they serious?

dmxfury wrote:
He went to Marshall...not sure about a degree. Was Pennington the QB with him at Marshall?

Yea for a couple years.
Randy isnt a dumb dude no matter what peoples perception of him is. He got an offer to Notre Dame, he has to at least be reasonably smart to have gotten an offer.
The Nascar thing suits his personality and if he hires the right people he can make a good profit even in just the truck series.
He is worth a legit 50 million and wont go broke.
He will more than likely not come back.
His only goal was to win a Superbowl. Son was holding off on buying a maybach til he won one.
I think that his retirement has more to do with the fact that the Pats didnt resign him.
His agent did the right thing with the jets and all of that but He really wanted to be back in NE and with Chad being there it just wouldnt happen.
Dudes in this thread are talking reckless though.
Randy prob could play til he was 38 like TO. But whats the use if your not going to be GOAT Randy Moss.
People look at the guys who just love the game no matter what with a lot of respect, but to me more impressive is the guy who doesnt love the game as much. To practice and attain that level of accomplishment in a craft your not 100% dedicated to is amazing.
Honestly the beating you take becomes too much and if the earnings are peanuts whats the point?
Is 3 million dollars worth the trouble?
Is a year of getting hit hard on a lanky frame worth it?
People complain about Moss never going across the middle. With that frame who would. Randy has never been 220 in his life and he is 6'4" pretty much every other reciever has had a better height to weight ratio than that. 6'1" 190 is better than 6'4" 210.
In reality Moss causes some problems in locker rooms I will give you that that food issue in Minnesota last season was OD but im convinced it was about Brad Childress more than anything.
But the man has really compared to some guys been a saint. The trafic thing was cause he had weed in the car and prob was apart of the testing program at that point.
The mooning thing was a non issue blown out of proportion
Oakland was a non issue as we have seen
Weed once in a blue moon was not smart on his part but it was honest.
Lockerroom issues in NE were cause Moss wasnt even in the damn game plans...
Comparing him to TO personality wise is like comparing weed to coke interms of how much time your getting.
Randy is a minor problem for his level of star.
TO is a guy who hired a dumb agent who didnt opt him out of his contract, got traded, refused to report to Ravens.
Then got to Philly made the Superbowl about him took the L and came back the next season pissed about a 7 year contract he signed.
Got suspended went to Dallas, was worse there ( and he still got a bad rap) and found himself in Buffalo.
If im a GM catering is a much more managable problem than dudes who dont report cause of contract reasons.

People got to remember Andre Johnson is 230, 230 Fitz is 230 and pretty much every other big receivers has 20 lbs on him and Randy aint never had a frame that could handle more weight.

Honestly the 2 most impressive offensive teams ( I don't count those Rams teams) have had Randy Moss on them
Its not a question that he is at bare minimum the 2nd or 3rd best WR of all time.
To me looking at Randy Moss even with all that speed and vertical leaping ability, intelligence he really accomplished all he could on the field. its not that he couldnt run a crossing route its that he wouldnt be able to play cause he was not strong enough to survive running those routes.

Originally Posted by 2o6

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

superbowl

[table][tr][th=""]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th=""]

The Giants aren't even IN the SB that year without Plax's performance in Green Bay.  He bodied Al Harris that game.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I'm glad he retired as opposed to doing a TO joining a different team each year...forget the "shoulda coulda" arguments, at the end of the day Moss still had a career most WR's would dream about having
pimp.gif
This.
Sad day for me...My favorite player of all-time. Moss is the guy that drew me into football and made me a Vikings fan in the first place 
frown.gif

Followed his entire pro career closely. Just insane natural ability 
sick.gif

Part of me is sad that i won't be able to see him play again, but then again, it was painful seeing him play with the Titans last season...so in a way, it's kinda fitting.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

dmxfury wrote:

Yea for a couple years.
Randy isnt a dumb dude no matter what peoples perception of him is. He got an offer to Notre Dame, he has to at least be reasonably smart to have gotten an offer.
The Nascar thing suits his personality and if he hires the right people he can make a good profit even in just the truck series.
He is worth a legit 50 million and wont go broke.
He will more than likely not come back.
His only goal was to win a Superbowl. Son was holding off on buying a maybach til he won one.
I think that his retirement has more to do with the fact that the Pats didnt resign him.
His agent did the right thing with the jets and all of that but He really wanted to be back in NE and with Chad being there it just wouldnt happen.
Dudes in this thread are talking reckless though.
Randy prob could play til he was 38 like TO. But whats the use if your not going to be GOAT Randy Moss.
People look at the guys who just love the game no matter what with a lot of respect, but to me more impressive is the guy who doesnt love the game as much. To practice and attain that level of accomplishment in a craft your not 100% dedicated to is amazing.
Honestly the beating you take becomes too much and if the earnings are peanuts whats the point?
Is 3 million dollars worth the trouble?
Is a year of getting hit hard on a lanky frame worth it?
People complain about Moss never going across the middle. With that frame who would. Randy has never been 220 in his life and he is 6'4" pretty much every other reciever has had a better height to weight ratio than that. 6'1" 190 is better than 6'4" 210.
In reality Moss causes some problems in locker rooms I will give you that that food issue in Minnesota last season was OD but im convinced it was about Brad Childress more than anything.
But the man has really compared to some guys been a saint. The trafic thing was cause he had weed in the car and prob was apart of the testing program at that point.
The mooning thing was a non issue blown out of proportion
Oakland was a non issue as we have seen
Weed once in a blue moon was not smart on his part but it was honest.
Lockerroom issues in NE were cause Moss wasnt even in the damn game plans...
Comparing him to TO personality wise is like comparing weed to coke interms of how much time your getting.
Randy is a minor problem for his level of star.
TO is a guy who hired a dumb agent who didnt opt him out of his contract, got traded, refused to report to Ravens.
Then got to Philly made the Superbowl about him took the L and came back the next season pissed about a 7 year contract he signed.
Got suspended went to Dallas, was worse there ( and he still got a bad rap) and found himself in Buffalo.
If im a GM catering is a much more managable problem than dudes who dont report cause of contract reasons.

People got to remember Andre Johnson is 230, 230 Fitz is 230 and pretty much every other big receivers has 20 lbs on him and Randy aint never had a frame that could handle more weight.

Honestly the 2 most impressive offensive teams ( I don't count those Rams teams) have had Randy Moss on them
Its not a question that he is at bare minimum the 2nd or 3rd best WR of all time.
To me looking at Randy Moss even with all that speed and vertical leaping ability, intelligence he really accomplished all he could on the field. its not that he couldnt run a crossing route its that he wouldnt be able to play cause he was not strong enough to survive running those routes.

jackie-chan-whut.jpg

Embrace the paragraph.

Imagine Moss and Peter Warrick lining up at the same time for Florida State 
eek.gif
sick.gif

Fantastic4our wrote:

No 
laugh.gif

Um... yes? He caught 416 passes from Joe Montana and 567 passes from the QBs I listed.

You skipped the part where he said Young for 8 years as well.  Surely that was an accident. 
wink.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  Randy.  I'm not ready for your career to be over, won't be the same anymore. 
tired.gif

When he goes into the Hall first ballot, as a Vike? 

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

He bolded the statement and incorrectly said no.
I see it, and then he added Young.  Prolly just got hisself off track when he was makin his case.  No biggie, was just lettin U of N know is all. 

Back
Top Bottom