Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Looks like im in the minority, this first ye album i liked since pablo

Maybe cause im more impressed with the sound/predictions, not so much the context/lyrics

Urban adult contemporary already exists as a radio format. However, Urban AC stations don't play rap that much, if at all.
Been sayin this ever since NaS dropped “Life is Good”

I feel like the lane is there and its an audience that would definitely enjoy it (🙋🏾‍♂️)

There used to be old school rap stations in various metro areas across the country, but old school has changed and grown. Something in the 2000's is now old school. Old school used to be pretty much boom bap, 80's and west coast, but even now that's changed and expanded. Soulja Boy and long tees snap music is a old school set.

I can see Killer MIke, Common easily in that lane.

There needs to be subgenres where it trickles down, because the Future's, Travis' and Young Thug's shouldn't be grouped with Cole and Kendrick anyway.

Power 96 recently rebranded from hip-hop/r&b to an "throwback" station. They literally only play hits from the 90's and early 2000s. It's honestly really impressive the pivot they took. Why play ice spice or jack Harlow or whatever when they're core audience won't ever listen to the radio?

Back
Top Bottom